[FE5] Lil' Manster – Translation and Quality-of-life Patch for Thracia 776

Miacis

On 12/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, Miacis said:

Thank you for the kind words! I saw Zane's battle forecast, yes, and it looks pretty awesome. I'm not sure if we'll implement it it in Lil' Manster, though. The Atk-Def calculation is kinda important to knowing how much damage a critical hit will do, seeing as the formula is 2x Atk, not 3x Dmg.

Maybe we can put it as an Option settings? We'll discuss it and see, although it's likely that it won't be there until version 1.100, if we do include it.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I’m ngl I never noticed the formula for critical hits because it’s always been death for whoever is on the receiving end for me lol if you are able to implement it that’d be pretty darn cool since I’m so used to playing the gba games. But if not it wouldn’t hurt the quality of this in the least. I appreciate you getting back to me about it and I wish you a safe and happy new year!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking over the changelist, and I had a few things to comment on.

In Chapter 11, why did you remove the "exercise some reason" part of the line? I think that fits fairly well and it enhances the feel of the line. It even works with your edit. "It's amusing watching you squirm, I admit, but exercise some reason. Are you really willing to defy your superior officer, knowing what the Empire does to traitors?"

Also, as much as I understand why you did what you did to the Saias talk, it's still a crying shame. The original has a lot more character and is a much more interesting/engaging of a talk that I feel fits with the themes pretty well. I feel like everything to do with "will" is just a natural progression of the idea that swords are tools. But it is what it is.

Lastly, in Chapter 18 with the Dorias bit, I think changing from neutral to exclamation and then back to neutral is fairly jarring, and I believe the original understood that. Yes, the Japanese has the commanding phrase, but it still feels strange in English to not be consistent. Perhaps it's just the phrasing of it that makes it so jarring? Not sure. The future similar change with the Augustus bit in Chapter 20 was fine.

With those minor nitpicks aside, thank you so much for your efforts on this project. I really enjoyed playing through PE back when I did, and it makes me happy that my favorite game in the series is receiving even further, detailed care.

• 3 weeks later...

This is so cool!

I have a question: is this update save compatible? if I started a game on 1.07, and I want to update to 1.08 to take advantage of all this cool stuff, would I be able to use my existing save or would I have to start fresh?

Thanks again for your hard work! 😄

EDIT: Tested it myself and it looks like it is! 😄

Edited by Bishop Rodan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys!

Maybe someone can help me, I am running on Ubuntu 20.04 and currently trying to patch Thracia.

So, I open up terminal and create a directory where I have the patch file and rom placed. I execute the patch PROGRAM using wine, and then select the patch, and then select the ROM, and get a notification saying that the ROM was patched successfully. Yet, when I play it, it is only a black screen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 12:48 AM, Slagathor said:

Hi guys!

Maybe someone can help me, I am running on Ubuntu 20.04 and currently trying to patch Thracia.

So, I open up terminal and create a directory where I have the patch file and rom placed. I execute the patch PROGRAM using wine, and then select the patch, and then select the ROM, and get a notification saying that the ROM was patched successfully. Yet, when I play it, it is only a black screen.

Might be an emulator issue. I think this patch expands the ROM, which is allowed by SNES hardware but not used by many games, so older / less accurate emulators don't work with it. It bugs me, because I can't get Satellaview stuff working on snes9x, but snesgt doesn't seem to support the expanded ROM, so I have to keep two separate SNES emulators around.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Apologies for the radio silence these past few months. Aside from real life being kinda busy, I've had to juggle quite a few Jugdral-related projects. And the more projects, the slower they tend to progress. So here's a status update, and what I hope will be a reasonnable timeline for the upcoming years.

Things that have been done since the last post:

– Lil' Manster has been getting its usual share of small tweaks and localization changes. We've also fixed a few glitches, some of them quite longstanding, like looping the Epilogues song, or Chris the NPC worming his way into ch19. None of this is major enough to warrant a release.

– The script review for version 1.09 has been on hiatus for the better part of a year. We are still at chapter 5, and will probably not be moving forward with it until next January. See why below.

– After a good cleanup and adding a lot more disassembled content, the Lil' Manster build files have been made public on GitHub. The current iteration of these build files makes it very easy to get started on your own Thracia translations, and should also serve as a helpful foundation for making (modest) mods.
They are, unfortunately, not in a state where I feel comfortable spreading the link around yet, but if you join our Discord server, you can find the link on there and we'll help you get started.

– The Spanish FE5 patch has been updated to current LM 1.08 standards, and is currently undergoing playtesting.

– The French FE5 patch is almost fully translated, and is the current focus of my attention.

What to expect in the future:

– I intend to have the French FE5 patch complete and released by the end of the year.

– After that, so starting January at the latest, we'll be returning to the LM script review, and release LM 1.09 sometime in 2023.

– As I go, I will slowly feed the Lil' Manster public files until I feel they're ready to spread the word around about them.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––

Now, for some belated answers:

On 1/2/2022 at 4:21 PM, ChrisGLink said:
Spoiler

I was looking over the changelist, and I had a few things to comment on.

In Chapter 11, why did you remove the "exercise some reason" part of the line? I think that fits fairly well and it enhances the feel of the line. It even works with your edit. "It's amusing watching you squirm, I admit, but exercise some reason. Are you really willing to defy your superior officer, knowing what the Empire does to traitors?"

Also, as much as I understand why you did what you did to the Saias talk, it's still a crying shame. The original has a lot more character and is a much more interesting/engaging of a talk that I feel fits with the themes pretty well. I feel like everything to do with "will" is just a natural progression of the idea that swords are tools. But it is what it is.

Lastly, in Chapter 18 with the Dorias bit, I think changing from neutral to exclamation and then back to neutral is fairly jarring, and I believe the original understood that. Yes, the Japanese has the commanding phrase, but it still feels strange in English to not be consistent. Perhaps it's just the phrasing of it that makes it so jarring? Not sure. The future similar change with the Augustus bit in Chapter 20 was fine.

With those minor nitpicks aside, thank you so much for your efforts on this project. I really enjoyed playing through PE back when I did, and it makes me happy that my favorite game in the series is receiving even further, detailed care.

Thank you for your kind words and your input! It's sometimes easy for us to feel cagey about some of the more flavorful details of the translation, especially since a lot of players feel so passionately about what they remember of the FireLizard script, so we might overcorrect here and there. I'll bring these points up in the script review when we'll get to these parts, and hopefully a happy balance can be found for all these. 🙂

On 8/2/2022 at 2:29 AM, RJWalker said:

Are the alterations to Xavier's recruitment scenario present in this patch? If yes, will they be removed in the Lil' Fiana version?

If that's what you're talking about, the civilian/adjutant names and differentiated portraits are quality-of-life, so those will not be in Lil' Fiana. I'm not aware of any actual alterations to Xavier's recruitment scenario?

Edited by Miacis

• 5 weeks later...

Hello. I just made this account to ask this, and I'm sorry if this isn't where I should be asking it...or if it's even an issue with the translation or some other mistake of my own doing.

During Chapter 7: "Shield of Thracia," my game is consistently freezing by the end of the first enemy-phase, with a shot of Castle Meath. (Based on scripts I've seen, it's the part where a soldier mentions they captured some villagers (Osian, Halvan, Ronan,) while a knight escaped (Finn.) 

I've tried suspending the chapter, restarting my emulator, beginning the chapter over again, and RNG-Abusing "re-move" to attack the bandits to the left of the mountain-range to see if anything could work -- you could probably guess how much luck I had there. 

The game has had minor freezes since the beginning of the Munster Escape arc, at the beginning of the first enemy-phase; likewise for the Galzus chapter, which froze after I captured Galzus...for some reason -- don't know the exact turn. 

If this has been asked before, and if there are any possible solutions, or if this is my own fault and I should suck it up, please let me know. If I absolutely have to, I'll try using cheat-codes to change the turn-number to avoid the cutscene trigger entirely...something I'd rather not do, since it likely means Finn and Safy will be lost to the void for eternity. (Or in that late-game prison gaiden chapter somehow. I dunno how this stuff works)

In your script, are making use of quotes from Heroes? In many cases, they appear to be lifted word-for-word from the games or obviously at least referencing specific quotes. I think they're rather neat.

Some examples like:

August:
“What I’m saying is that Lord Celice didn’t earn his fame on his own. The times require a hero, and someone is setting him up to be one. Heroes aren’t born, Lord Leaf. They are made.”

August: The people don't need a hero. They only need the illusion of one.

Cyas:
“Did you not say you wanted to be a swordmaster like your mother? Then you must not hate the sword. A fine sword can be both an evil blade or a holy blade depending on who wields it. Even this sword was not originally made to be evil.

Mareeta: The bishop who saved me told me this: a sword is blessed or cursed only by the heart of its wielder.

Shanam:
“Hmm, I wasn’t expecting this. Well, I’ll just give her some random tips and get it over with… The Starstrike is not only about your skill. It is your heart that is important. Once your skill and your heart become one…only then will you be able to perform the Starstrike.”

Mareeta: I keep Lord Shannan's words in mind. "Put your heart into your technique and the path to Astra will open."

Mareeta: When technique and heart are one, the path to the true Astra will open...

You get the idea. I think they would make for good additions or substitutions to your script.

Edited by RJWalker

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten this game to work on psp via snes emulator. I tried snes9xtyl newest version and it will not go past selecting new game and clicking on which file to select to start on. Any help would be great. The game runs perfect on the wii, but I would prefer to play it mobile.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...