[FE5] Lil' Manster – Translation and Quality-of-life Patch for Thracia 776

Miacis

On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, SRPG Tryhard said:

There is only one canon and it is the latest version of a name (in case it has been updated over the years as you mentioned). That you are even arguing over this shows that instead you want to decide your own "canon" rather than use the one that is objectively true. If the name is used in the TCG then you use it. If it was later updated for CYL then you pick that one. When eventually they add a reference to it in FEH, then update it again. Unless I'm missing a few, most characters have already been added to the CYL list, so there it is.

It's simple as that, you follow the official names by the official Nintendo sources.

If I were deciding my own canon, I'd be declaring that "Safie" is the canon name. You won't find me saying that anywhere, because reasonable approximation names acting as placeholders until a canon name is revealed... isn't the thing same as "canon". And if you feel that the CYL names are canon, then I'm sure you have a lot of faith that FE5 CYL wasn't a placeholder rush job itself. I don't, for the reasons explained above. I'd ask you why you believe those names are a reliable source, but reliability doesn't seem to matter to you.

Sorry, but I just don't see a lot of justification for ignoring the vetting of sources. As someone who works in video games localization, that's not really a shortcut you can afford to take if the client is being unresponsive. Considering IntSys is clearly not giving you or me explicit instructions about which names are finalized, I'm not sure what authority you have to decide that.

Finally, outside of these more theoretical considerations, in practice, the stance you're taking inevitably leads back to the "Rutoga" question. How do you account for official sources which are obviously, tremendously wrong? If you don't see how arriving to that outcome shows some kind of flaw in your thinking process, then this is simply an ideological stance disconnected from practical concerns, which is not something I care to engage with past this point.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, ZeroSigma said:

Thanks so much for your work! I've been having a blast with Thracia thanks to this patch @Miacis

No problem! I'm glad you're having a good time. 😀

Edited by Miacis

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi complete and utter novice when it comes to hacking and putting roms/emulators on my computer.

I currently have SNES9x set up through a OpenEmu(to bypass Catalina due to Mac since it makes 32 bit stuff unusable) I got the patch and rom downloaded fine, the only thing I wanted to add is from the optional section, now I was able to patch them thanks to the website you provided in the patchnotes... but I can't seem to get the WEXP optional patch into the game, This is the only real quality of life choice I want (since I want a mostly authentic Thracia experience so no changing placements and stuff) Im just curious how to patch this into my rom. Ive been trying to figure it out for an hour before work but im stumped... so if you could offer a solution then I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Edited by Ronman5

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, it's been a solid while, but version 1.06 of Lil' Manster is finally out!

This release is many things for us. For one, it's the first version of Lil' Manster that integrates Zane's disassembly, thanks to Ultimage's tireless efforts. Not much of a change for you, the end user, but it's tidier and makes for far easier editing on our end. 🙂

This is also the “Great Cleanup” release, where a wide variety of bugs and missing bits we had been putting off were finally sorted out. And coolest of all, Ultimage keeps showering us with amazing QoL additions which I'm sure even the more purists will be able to tolerate, and if not... well, keep reading.

Here are the main highlights for this release:

- Official localizations! As per Heroes, Jungby is now Yngvi, Alfred is back to Fred, and a few oopsies on our part have been fixed (weapon rank > weapon level, and ★ > Prf).

- As Project Naga's localization choices become more and more outdated, we've rolled back some of their item/class decisions, namely Forest Knight > Ranger, Bolt Sword > Lightning Sword (the one from Echoes, which is different from the Levin Sword) and Jormungand > Jörmungandr.

- Speaking of Project Naga, stat gains from level-ups and promotions now stay onscreen! Big thanks to DDS for sharing his code with us, and Ultimage for porting it to FE5's engine.

- Another Ultimage addition, Fatigue now turns red if it rises above Max HP, showing that a character will become Fatigued on the next map.

- Units previously affiliated as “------” have now been assigned to factions with more descriptive names, namely “Civilians,” “Bandits,” “Unknown Party,” “Tahra's Army,” and “Raydrik's Unit.” For instance, the ch3 kids are no longer listed in the same faction as the bandits trying to destroy their houses! This was carefully planned so there would be no gameplay repercussions (unless you've been editing the game to give Authority to civilians, I guess).

- In chapter 11x, if you had units captured and taken away in the previous map, they would mistakenly be sent to Olwen's cell, occupying the same tiles as its occupants and preventing your units from moving. They'll now be sent to the middle, empty cell.

- While we're fixing vanilla Thracia issues, there was an Alsterian Arch Knight in ch19 with the wrong generic portrait. And a couple bosses without boss music, depending on whether you fought them with or without animations. Also one of the frames in Leif's map sprite had a hole in the middle of his body. Those have been fixed as well.

- The Options menu now has descriptions for all settings and the hang from scrolling to the bottom is finally gone. That thing's been with us since the first LM release! And that means we've actually translated everything, now.

- We've carefully gone through the Japanese game and fixed all instances where a character was speaking to the wrong interlocutor (or was speaking to someone when they should have been alone). There were a lot of those, turns out!

- The Ending's “white background” text stays on screen much longer now, and is given a proper fade out (rather than an abrupt cut), making it easier to read in time.

- We've added two new optional patches to the folder. Hidden Skills will display the immortality skill, the anti-capture skill and anti-attack skills, which the game frequently uses to protect plot-important characters or civilians. Easy Sound Room will allow you to unlock the Sound Room after completing the game once, regardless of rank.

- You know it, polishing menu descriptions to be more accurate, more consistent, more concise. It's what we do. (We kinda ran out of room though, so unused items no longer have little jokes in their descriptions. RIP Hacking is bad.)

That's about it! Lotta stuff, huh...? The image gallery has finally been updated, too.

Anyways! Download link is in this post, and in the OP, as per usual.

And now, for a bit of a project status update.

This was the penultimate major update to Lil' Manster. Past this point, the only major task that remains is polishing the script with help from Japanese readers. It'll be a long journey, but one that should bring us to a final version of 2.0. After this, barring minor localization hotfixes (whenever IntSys remembers that FE5 exists), work on Lil' Manster will cease. It's been a long journey (and there's still a lot left to do, tbqh), but we've gotta move on, eventually.

A final version does mean we'll be able to release something that's been requested quite a few times:

SrVUijH.png
(logo made by Tchu)

What's Lil' Fiana? It will be a side version of Lil' Manster, completely free from any QoL improvements. So... just a complete translation, and nothing more. For the hardcore purists out there and for reviewing purposes.

I'll try to provide a bit of modularity for it, by including some of the LM QoL changes as optional patches, but do understand that not all of them can be made into side patches, and that some might require a bit more know-how than usual to apply.

But for the average player? Default Lil' Manster is really all you need.

While I have your attention, I would also like to give a few shoutouts to a few more or less related projects.

- This patch also exists in Spanish, translated by the talented Horrabin and Xabierin. You can find their work here. It's complete and it's real good!

- This patch also exists in French, translated by The_Elfangor and yours truly. It's... still incomplete, but there's a big update coming soon, covering up to chapter 15! If you're interested, keep an eye on this thread .

- Ultimage and I presented our FE5 hacking projects at FEE3 this year. His was FE5 Weapon Reversal, and mine was Thracia 776 Overclocked. They're pretty modest romhack s, but hey, if you want more Thracia 776 in your life, that might be your jam!

Lil-Manster-1.06.zip

And that's that. I hope you enjoy Lil' Manster, everyone~!

Edited by Miacis

Hello, I noticed a little translation error in Depleted Tomes and Staves : image.png.fd75e7e3e70f5b742e5c50162b5c999b.png
That's all, thx for the work on this translation 🙂
(I am playing on 1.05)

Edited by Eizzah

1 minute ago, Eizzah said:

Hello, I noticed a little translation error in Depleted Tomes and Staves : [drained of its ma  c]
That's all, thx for the work on this translation 🙂

Good timing, because the fix to this issue (and much more) lies in the post above yours. 😛

3 minutes ago, Miacis said:

Good timing, because the fix to this issue (and much more) lies in the post above yours. 😛

(Yes, I just installed it and saw the fix lmao)

There were a few mistakes left in there, but I just released a hotfix. You can re-download the patch if you want. All that was missing was:

- Weissmann's boss quote was disabled by accident.
- Both optional HP Bar patches were displaying broken graphics.
- There was a typo in one of Kempf's lines.

So nothing too gamebreaking.

14 hours ago, Miacis said:

SrVUijH.png
(logo made by Tchu)

What's Lil' Fiana? It will be a side version of Lil' Manster, completely free from any QoL improvements. So... just a complete translation, and nothing more. For the hardcore purists out there and for reviewing purposes.

Interesting, that sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Too bad I just finished the game untranslated lol.

How purist are we talking about here? Just vanilla with text?

Are we still using the slot machine names? (I can live with it, but eh). Are the villages properly translated without fanfic inserted from the original PE patch?

Just to clarify:

Lil' Manster is getting a full script review with help from Japanese readers.
Once the script review is done, I'll branch the project into Lil' Fiana, and take out all the QoL stuff, which is basically just gameplay/UI things, the chapter hints, etc.

The scripts will be the same, barring the chapter hints, of course.

10 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

Are the villages properly translated without fanfic inserted from the original PE patch?

Liberties that misrepresent events or characters, or adds parts to the lore that don't exist will be reviewed, yes. We'll try to keep things flavorful, still. 🙂

10 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

Are we still using the slot machine names?

Localized names will stay localized, if that's your question. People who really want to know what a name sounds like in Japanese can use Google Translate (or check the wiki), so you won't see any Zigludo in our script.

8 hours ago, Miacis said:

Localized names will stay localized, if that's your question. People who really want to know what a name sounds like in Japanese can use Google Translate (or check the wiki), so you won't see any Zigludo in our script.

No, I'm not asking for idiocy like Yurius lol, just little things like Asbel instead of Asvel, Osian instead of Orsin, Callion instead of Carleon, Pahn instead of Pan, Raydrik instead of Reidric, Augustus instead of August, and CED annoy me a bit (have no idea how many of those are official, but those are notable ones). Just wish fan translations wouldn't be so slavishly devoted to the translations of people who didn't even work on the original game. Improvised stuff like Safie is pretty nice (much better than whatever Safiya was lol).

Edited by Mars of Aritia

2 minutes ago, Mars of Aritia said:

No, I'm not asking for idiocy like Yurius lol, just little things like Asbel instead of Asvel, Osian instead of Orsin, Callion instead of Carleon, Pahn instead of Pan, Raydrik instead of Reidric, and CED annoy me a bit (have no idea how many of those are official, but those are notable ones). Stuff like Safie is pretty nice though (much better than whatever Safiya was lol).

I'm not sure which of those you think are preferable, so here's the rundown (names we use are underlined):

Ced, Osian and Raydrik are the officially localized name to this day. So we're sticking to those, unless they change their minds later down the line.

Asbel and Asvel are both acceptable transliterations. We use Asbel, since it's an established name (and Namco seems to agree), unlike Asvel. I guess if we wanted to root for the older name reference, Ashbel is an alternative.

Callion and Carrion are both acceptable names with a rich history, but Callion has an English-Irish origin (and doesn't have the "rotting carcass" interpretation to it). Carleon is a fun interpretation of that kana, though not the most accurate. The fact it's not a name and is tied to arthurian legends (more of an Elibe flavor than Jugdral) plays against it a bit.

Pan or Pahn... I don't understand why people hesitate on that one, because that's literally the Greek god. The in パーン is already there in the god's name. Why would anyone want to add an h there. It's not パーーン.

3 hours ago, Miacis said:

I'm not sure which of those you think are preferable, so here's the rundown (names we use are underlined):

Ced, Osian and Raydrik are the officially localized name to this day. So we're sticking to those, unless they change their minds later down the line.

Asbel and Asvel are both acceptable transliterations. We use Asbel, since it's an established name (and Namco seems to agree), unlike Asvel. I guess if we wanted to root for the older name reference, Ashbel is an alternative.

Callion and Carrion are both acceptable names with a rich history, but Callion has an English-Irish origin (and doesn't have the "rotting carcass" interpretation to it). Carleon is a fun interpretation of that kana, though not the most accurate. The fact it's not a name and is tied to arthurian legends (more of an Elibe flavor than Jugdral) plays against it a bit.

Pan or Pahn... I don't understand why people hesitate on that one, because that's literally the Greek god. The in パーン is already there in the god's name. Why would anyone want to add an h there. It's not パーーン.

My preferred names are the second ones I listed which are my own uneducated interpretations of the kana lol. Those 3 official names are pretty bad though. I won't go into Ced since everyone else already has, but Osian is a bizarre reading, and Raydrik reads like Engrish, so does Asbel.

I've never seen Callion used as a name, is it a real one? (sounds like just wanting to understandably avoid carrion), though I have seen Carleon before (specifically in the English version of Langrisser 1 (Warsong). Though that's one where the stupid translators changed the names for no reason, so take with a grain of salt) which is where I got that idea from.

Pan is correct though, wiki said Pahn was what was currently being used so my mistake.

But it's no big deal, I can hold my nose and bear it.

Edited by Mars of Aritia

Huh, and here I was thinking this patch couldn't get much better! Massive thanks and kudos to Miacis & everyone on the team who worked on and contributed to this great piece of work. Lil' Fiana also sounds promising; I'm fine with LM at the moment but doing a purist run in the future is an interesting option. Much appreciated, again 🙂

3 hours ago, Eizzah said:

Hum, I'm playing on 1.06 and ....
Is this colour change normal ?

It's been there since Project Exile (heck, since Zane's menu patch, I believe). It's because the textbox was expanded.

Ulti was looking into it, so it should hopefully be fixed for the final release.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, Miacis said:

It's been there since Project Exile (heck, since Zane's menu patch, I believe). It's because the textbox was expanded.

Ulti was looking into it, so it should hopefully be fixed for the final release.

Okay, no problem, good luck with the modding for the final release ^^

Ultimage fixed our bugs, so we released another hotfix for them. Here's what was fixed:

- Pressing Y in Options to undo your changes would break all the menu text, until exiting it.

- The Item menu would lose some of its coloration for characters with 5 or 6 items in their inventory. (This was present since the very first Project Exile release, so it feels good to see it gone!)

Feel free to re-download the patch if you want that red hot fix. 🙂

2 hours ago, Miacis said:

Ultimage fixed our bugs, so we released another hotfix for them. Here's what was fixed:

- Pressing Y in Options to undo your changes would break all the menu text, until exiting it.

- The Item menu would lose some of its coloration for characters with 5 or 6 items in their inventory. (This was present since the very first Project Exile release, so it feels good to see it gone!)

Feel free to re-download the patch if you want that red hot fix. 🙂

I'll update it, stoked to see the fixes while playing Chap 13 ^^

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 9:01 PM, Miacis said:

Hey everyone, it's been a solid while, but version 1.06 of Lil' Manster is finally out!

@Miacis Is this also available back at RHDN? Didn't saw getting added in Queue (or getting approval or rejection). Also someone else haven't updated the Lil' Manster patch in Zophar Domains yet, even had the link from RHDN that no longer exist too (so already reported it)

Edited by Hengki Kusuma Adi

• 2 weeks later...

You were willing to do it before so here I am again, asking for the latest version with no extra implementations, if it's not too much trouble. 

Like, exclude everything listed in this section:

On 12/24/2019 at 3:19 AM, Miacis said:

Implementation of most of Zane's QOL additions, including:
* Hold L to swap animation modes
* Equipped item preview
* Guard AI display
* Talk display
* HP bars (Optional)

Crt% display in battle, by Min

Over-Fatigue Red Display, by Ultimage

Lingering level-up stat gains, by Ultimage

Weapon Experience Display (Optional), by Ultimage

Repositioning of your units during Preparations (Optional), by Min, or Robert of Normandy

Essentially, a version with just the translation implemented. Thanks in advance in any case.

Edited by RJWalker

Hello !
I'm here to report a small graphical bug
I think it happened because my last item of which I saw the selection after selling stuff was a Scroll, and so the display is weird when I buy stuff :]
image.png.4e26d610ffeb06dc310e477304afbd00.pngimage.png.1b57795bbd224f1cc3995a758661f279.pngimage.png.7aa8b3b09e5ad7253ac4bca6637751c0.png

Edited by Eizzah
more images

Hello everyone. Apologies for the late answers, but it has been quite the busy month.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:29 PM, WindyRise said:

Hello, I'm having trouble with applying some of the optional patches, such as the weapon experience display. It messes up the stat page when i try to view it. Only the Main patch works.

The WEXP display patch works seamlessly on my end. All it does is alter two bytes, so there's not a lot of room for it to break things...

You're probably doing something wrong. Make sure to follow the instructions the Patching Instructions file, and the Readme for the optional folder. If the problem persists, feel free to drop by our Discord, and we'll guide you through.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:01 AM, Hengki Kusuma Adi said:

Is this also available back at RHDN? Didn't saw getting added in Queue (or getting approval or rejection). Also someone else haven't updated the Lil' Manster patch in Zophar Domains yet, even had the link from RHDN that no longer exist too (so already reported it)

I still haven't gotten around to uploading it on RHDN, let alone Zophar's Domain. Remember that we have Cirosan over there being incredibly hostile, so I want to at least clear the situation with the mods before problem arise. Please be patient, it's on my list of things, but irl matters just keep getting in the way lately.

23 hours ago, Eizzah said:

Hello !
I'm here to report a small graphical bug
I think it happened because my last item of which I saw the selection after selling stuff was a Scroll, and so the display is weird when I buy stuff :]

As mentioned in the opening post, this is a known issue with Njörun's Scroll. Ultimage did manage to come up with a fix for it, so that'll be part of a minor update that I hope I'll be able to roll out next week.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:39 PM, RJWalker said:

You were willing to do it before so here I am again, asking for the latest version with no extra implementations, if it's not too much trouble. 

Like, exclude everything listed in this section:

Essentially, a version with just the translation implemented. Thanks in advance in any case.

Hey again. As mentioned above, there's a mini-update coming up, so I'll have that ready by then. 🙂

Edited by Miacis