Pick the worst character to make a lord

CyberController

To be honest, I think you could make a game about anyone work... with certain constraints (You want the plot to work with who the character is, but not necessarily the gameplay). For instance, going on the lines of Sylvain, you have his womanizing antics land him in (metaphorical) hot water as part of the game's plot. Say he's in another region for diplomatic purposes, and ends up offending their ruler by attempting to woo their daughter. This lands him in the dungeon, he has to bust out, and from there he has to work to escape the hostile territory. But the plot takes a turn when the reason that ruler frames Sylvain of crimes in other territories... leading to his having to clear his name. Then in latter part of the game it turns out said ruler is an imposter who has taken the throne... and the real reason he didn't want his "daughter" getting too close to Sylvain was because it would allow her to summon external help to reclaim her father's throne.

That said... it'd be really easy to do a bad or lazy game. You just take a character, make a gimmick based off one aspect of their personality, and base the whole game/gameplay off that with no plot or conflict.

Ideas include Manuela's drinking game (where she takes a shot every time you do something... for a twist on regular drinking games), a Harvest Moon wannabe with Brom and a lack of marriage options (as he's already married), a poker simulator with Makalov (spoiler it's rigged), a Doctor Mario knock-off with any given healer but most likely Wrys, or numerous other shovel-ware, low effort options.

Or you could just make a huge compilation of all of them seeing as none of them is much of a game in itself.

18 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Peri

Peri being the main lord of anything would be a recipe for disaster.

Hmmmm....maybe Peri's actually Anankos daughter, explaining her hair color. She came to Nohr because she thought Corrin stole her dragonstone.

14 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

To be honest, I think you could make a game about anyone work... with certain constraints (You want the plot to work with who the character is, but not necessarily the gameplay). For instance, going on the lines of Sylvain, you have his womanizing antics land him in (metaphorical) hot water as part of the game's plot. Say he's in another region for diplomatic purposes, and ends up offending their ruler by attempting to woo their daughter. This lands him in the dungeon, he has to bust out, and from there he has to work to escape the hostile territory. But the plot takes a turn when the reason that ruler frames Sylvain of crimes in other territories... leading to his having to clear his name. Then in latter part of the game it turns out said ruler is an imposter who has taken the throne... and the real reason he didn't want his "daughter" getting too close to Sylvain was because it would allow her to summon external help to reclaim her father's throne.

That said... it'd be really easy to do a bad or lazy game. You just take a character, make a gimmick based off one aspect of their personality, and base the whole game/gameplay off that with no plot or conflict.

Ideas include Manuela's drinking game (where she takes a shot every time you do something... for a twist on regular drinking games), a Harvest Moon wannabe with Brom and a lack of marriage options (as he's already married), a poker simulator with Makalov (spoiler it's rigged), a Doctor Mario knock-off with any given healer but most likely Wrys, or numerous other shovel-ware, low effort options.

Or you could just make a huge compilation of all of them seeing as none of them is much of a game in itself.

Now, what would a game starring Nina be like? 

Edited by CyberController

Just now, CyberController said:

Now, what would a game starring Nina be like? 

Depends if we go low effort or high. If we went high, we could go the direction of taking the "Robin Hood style bandit" approach she had before joining the army. She's traveled to an unfamiliar land, and her gang, in stealing from a caravan discovers a map to an ancient tomb. She and her crew travel to the tomb and in seeking the treasure to redistribute fails to realize that treasure depends on the beholder. In defeating the tomb's guardians and opening the chest she unleashes an ancient evil. Go figure, those nobles had a more sinister plan than merely seeking ancient gold. The evil's shadow spreads across the land and Nina must work towards sealing it away once more. I'm sure her more well-known gimmick can also fit into dialogue... but I admit it makes it harder to start a conflict.

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

Peri

Peri being the main lord of anything would be a recipe for disaster.

That was a terrible pun.

Ahem. . .

Felicia as a lord would be bad. . .but whether it's "Cats" bad or "Star Wars prequel" bad would heavily depend on the writing.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

That was a terrible pun.

Ahem. . .

Felicia as a lord would be bad. . .but whether it's "Cats" bad or "Star Wars prequel" bad would heavily depend on the writing.

Hmmmm.....maybe a Fates AU. Felicia goes to check on her master, but they've been kidnapped by an unknown force. Felicia has to go rescue them from Valla, and not trip over her own feet while doing so.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

The prequels are the only Star Wars films to attain even average quality.

When I was younger, I had this idea for a Fire Emblem spinoff starring Volke, working as some sort of insurgent for Bastian.

Volke would probably be a pretty bad character to make the star of a story. See, a large part of his appeal is that he's very stoic and mysterious. He's not particularly emotive and we know nothing about him except what he chooses to reveal to other characters, which is very little. Were he the main character of a game, you'd either have to strip him of the very thing that makes him cool of you'd have to have a story where the main protagonist has zero character development. That could work if you had a well developed world or supporting cast, but it doesn't seem like a probably outcome.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

At least it wouldn't be "Star Wars sequel" bad.

Anyway, Kurthnaga's Goldoa rebuilding sim, where you are tasked with having to bring Goldoa out of political isolation and pursue diplomatic and trade relations with the other countries in Tellius.

Soleil or Nina are the obvious choices, as the entirity of their campaigns would just be them either pairing up guys or swooning over girls. These two were really shallow characters overall. Keeping fates in mind, Asugi would be useful as he just a less interesting clone of Gaius. Really, just most of the ectended cast of Fates. There's just too many units for all of them to be interesting, so most of them end up just being one note gimic units.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

27 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Soleil or Nina are the obvious choices, as the entirity of their campaigns would just be them either pairing up guys or swooning over girls. These two were really shallow characters overall. Keeping fates in mind, Asugi would be useful as he just a less interesting clone of Gaius. Really, just most of the ectended cast of Fates. There's just too many units for all of them to be interesting, so most of them end up just being one note gimic units.

Let's not forget Hisame and his pickles.

Fates (and awakening) had a real problem with one-note characters.

1 hour ago, CyberController said:

Let's not forget Hisame and his pickles.

Fates (and awakening) had a real problem with one-note characters.

Ha ha. Yes. And I would agree, to an extent. I almost forgot Stahl was a character my first play through... But on the other hand his supports with Lissa are sweet. Lon'qu has basically the same style of supports with ever female unit, "hate them, kinda like them, proposing", but he does get some more character with his male peers. I guess Nowi would also qualify for a lot of people as a bit gimmicky, but most of her supports are goofy and outrageous enough that at least I found myself enjoying them enough. Although, speaking of Lon'qu, he would make for an awful lord. You'd go through the entire game never speaking to a single woman... He'd probably have it so that your army is all men too, just because women make him uncomfortable. That would be one slog of a storyline.

5 hours ago, PeaceRibbon said:

At least all of your suggestions have engaging gameplay loops attached to them. The Linhardt game is 2 minutes of finding a quiet spot and 120 minutes of sleeping.

Bonus points if the music is lo-fi hip-hop beats to relax/study to.

5 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

Arthur would be pretty hilarious to see because the story would constantly take bad turns due to his horrible luck.

As someone with abysmal luck, I feel like that would be interesting to see!

Honestly, any FE game that involves a character that doesn't get much screentime would be weird. Can you imagine Brigand Boss being a lord?

2 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

Kellam's would just be NOTICE ME SENPAI!: The Game

Oh, Kellam is a lord in Awakening!  But no one noticed it, so Chrom had to step in.