Dead or Evil? Let's talk Fire Emblem dads. (contains spoilers)

CyberController

Let's go over the fates of dads. They don't really have it good in Fire Emblem.

FE1:

Cornelius (Marth): Dead, killed by Jiol

FE2:

Rudolf(Alm): Evil, an conqueror

Lima IV(Celica): Dead, killed by Desaix

FE4:

Byron(Sigurd): Dead,

Sigurd(Selif): Dead, didn't enjoy Arvis's barbecue

FE5:

Quan(Leif): Also didn't enjoy Arvis's barbecue

FE6:

Eliwood(Roy): Neither dead nor evil, making him an exception.

FE7:

Elbert(Eliwood): Killed by Nergal

Hector's dad: Unknown.

Hassar(Lyn):Dead

FE8:

Fado(Eirika and Ephraim): Dead, Died in the siege of the castle.

FE9:

Greil(Ike): Dead, Killed by the Black Knight.

FE13:

Chrom's dad: Dead.

Validar(Robin): Evil, wants to have Grima snack on the world.

FE14:

Anankos(Corrin): Evil, wants to destroy the world.

FE15:

Jeralt (Byleth): Dead, stabbed in the back by Kronya. Went out like a bitch.

Lambert (Dimitri): Killed during the tragedy of duscar.

Edelgard's and Claude's parents are still alive.

Quan died in the Yied Massacre, not the Battle of Belhalla.

Fairly sure Ionius IX (Edelgard's father) died in the timeskip.

Hector's father is probably dead, given that his brother is the Marquess Ostia for most of Blazing Blade.

Let's not forget Gustav, either.

Micaiah's father is also Sanaki's father, and thus probably dead.

Elincia's father died in Ashnard's war, I think.

And Nyna's dad was killed by Medeus's forces (yeah, I'm stretching it, but she's arguably the lord of War Chronicles of Akaneia).

Okay. . .since you didn't specify lords in the topic title. . .

Archanea:

Jiol - we kicked his butt
Dice - still alive
Probably a bunch more that I can't remember in 20 seconds

Jugdral:

This would take forever.  I'll leave this to someone who cares about that world.

Elibe:

Bartre -  alive
Canas - RIP
Hector - Also RIP
Dayan - somehow survives
Jerrot - I think he lives
Desmond - thankfully dies
Pent - still alive
Hawkeye - RIP
Astore - Uhh. . .maybe?  I honestly forget how his supports with Igrene went.

Magvel:

Pretty sure Innes and Tana have their dad, and Ross has his.  Everyone else is SOL.

Tellius:

Brom - alive and kicking ass
Ramos (or whatever his name is) - RIP
Dhengisea - RIP
Ashnard - RIP, and it's our fault

Ylisse:

Not counting the time travel thing, I think Stahl/Tharja have living family.

Fates:

Sumeragi and Garon eventually bite the dust.  No one else really talks about their family.  The alternate kids realm thing doesn't exist.

Fodlan:

Hoo boy.  Some are alive, some are not, and at least three bite the dust during the story (depending on which route you take).  Sadly, it sounds like Sylvain's dad wasn't one of them.

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That'd be Ramon.

I'm personally getting tired of the dead dad trope in this series. I was really hoping Jeralt would stay alive. 😕

Spoiler

Also, RIP Rodrigue, Felix's dad.

Gilbert stays alive though, I think? He's Annette's dad. Though the guy has issues and could be suicidal.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Gilbert will most likely die in Crimson Flower.  Since, y'know, he's up against me, and I like experience.

Just now, eclipse said:
  Hide contents

Gilbert will most likely die in Crimson Flower.  Since, y'know, he's up against me, and I like experience.

Okay, in that route sure, but in the others, I'm certain he lives.

46 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Jugdral:

This would take forever.  I'll leave this to someone who cares about that world.

Oh boy, where to begin...

Batouh - Killed by Sandima
Chaggall's dad - Killed by his own son
Eldigan - Killed by player or Chagall
Mannanan - Killed
Maricle (or whatever Shannan's dad name was) - Killed
Kurth - Killed
Ring - Killed by his own son
Vyron - Mortally wounded, dies eventually
Andorei - Evil and killed by player
Lombard - Evil and killed by player
Reptor - Evil and killed by player
Gen 1 Playable Cast who become Fathers except for Finn - Needless to say...
The Cross Knight that is Janne's father (don't remember which of them was) - If he does survive Chapter 2, he dies at some point anyway apparently
Dannan - Evil and killed by player
Blume - Killed by player
Travant - Killed by player
Mussar's Dad - Killed at some point, son seeks revenge on the Liberation Army
Hannibal, if his adopting Corple/Sharlow counts - Can potentially die
Alvis - Killed by player

This isn't getting to dads who die previous to game events, like Victor and his suicide, or Linoan's father being killed, Quan's dad also being killed, etc.

Not a full list... but Jugdral ain't missing out on the Evil or Dead Dad category, as it were. Also, didn't count people like Azmur or Lewyn's dad, who die of more natural causes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, in that route sure, but in the others, I'm certain he lives.

As far as i know Gilbert is: all routes spoilers for Gilbert Below.

Spoiler

Alive at the end of AM unless he is killed in gameplay, where he will die from his wounds shortly after Dimitri's coronation.

Confirmed Deceased in SS at the Battle of Grondor. (Seteth and random guards have monastary dialogue after chapter 16.)

Unkown in VW, but considering he dies SS, it's likely that, he and every other Kingdom soldier apart from Dedue perishes at Grondor.

So that leaves CF as the only other route where he can actually live, all you have to do is not kill him and that is pretty damn easy since he's a 4 move unit with only 1 range. 

2 hours ago, CyberController said:

Rudolf(Alm): Evil, an conqueror

Wouldn't call Rudolf Evil personally, since he's very similar to Edelgard in terms of ideals but he is dead so there is that, In fact due to how he neglected his people i would say Lima would be more evil.

Other Valentia Dads would be.

Berkut's dad - Dead.

Fernand's Dad - Dead

Sonya's Dad - Dead and Cartoonishly Evil.

Virion's Dad - Dead.

Say'ri's Dad - Dead

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Okay. . .since you didn't specify lords in the topic title. . .

Archanea:

Jiol - we kicked his butt
Dice - still alive
Probably a bunch more that I can't remember in 20 seconds

Jugdral:

Elibe:

Bartre -  alive
Canas - RIP
Hector - Also RIP
Dayan - somehow survives
Jerrot - I think he lives
Desmond - thankfully dies
Pent - still alive
Hawkeye - RIP
Astore - Uhh. . .maybe?  I honestly forget how his supports with Igrene went.

Magvel:

Pretty sure Innes and Tana have their dad, and Ross has his.  Everyone else is SOL.

Tellius:

Dhengisea - RIP
Ashnard - RIP, and it's our fault

Ylisse:

Fates:

Sumeragi and Garon eventually bite the dust.  No one else really talks about their family.  The alternate kids realm thing doesn't exist.

Fodlan:

Hoo boy.  Some are alive, some are not, and at least three bite the dust during the story (depending on which route you take).  Sadly, it sounds like Sylvain's dad wasn't one of them.

For Tellius, there's also Tauroneo, Nasir (his child would be Ena's parent), and Lorazieh or whatever, the father of the heron siblings. 

Panne being the last of her kind (prior to Yarne, obviously) means her father's dead.
Maribelle's dad was executed because of Gaius which is covered in their supports.
I don't personally remember the fate of Say'ri's parents but given story context, I assume her father's dead.

14 hours ago, Geenoble said:

As far as i know Gilbert is: all routes spoilers for Gilbert Below.

Hide contents

Alive at the end of AM unless he is killed in gameplay, where he will die from his wounds shortly after Dimitri's coronation.

Confirmed Deceased in SS at the Battle of Grondor. (Seteth and random guards have monastary dialogue after chapter 16.)

Unkown in VW, but considering he dies SS, it's likely that, he and every other Kingdom soldier apart from Dedue perishes at Grondor.

So that leaves CF as the only other route where he can actually live, all you have to do is not kill him and that is pretty damn easy since he's a 4 move unit with only 1 range. 

Spoiler

Gilbert is most likely alive in VW. If you recruit Annette she'll say something that someone saw Gilbert carrying Dimitri's dead body away from Gronder. Though what happens after is a mystery. 

I can imagine Eliwood in the distance fortnite dancing bc he's one of the few exceptions

Ashe's father is dead and you kill his adoptive father

Chrom's father is killed by Gangrel

Aversa's family is killed by Validar (but does she count?)

Marianne's bio parents are dead (but she's got an adoptive dad)

Both of Raph's parents are dead (explained in his paralouge, possibly by Lorenz's father's hands)

Duke von Aegir kicks the bucket in Ferdie's paralouge

Dorothea is an orphan

Dedue's family is dead

Bernadetta's father should be dead

Hubert killed his father

Nowi's parents are dead (Tharja's supports)

Spoiler

Flayn's father is still alive since he is Seteth

I think I covered everyone obvious that wasn't mentioned???

4 hours ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Duke von Aegir kicks the bucket in Ferdie's paralouge

Wasn't he already dead before then (by which I mean before the party arrives, as one of the bandits talks about killing him)?

Edited by Shadow Mir

Just to fill in how TRS handled its notable dads (TearRing Saga Spoilers!), from what I remember:

Spoiler
  • Runan- Father is Lord Gramud, a good man who participated in the Ledan Crusade against the Gerxel Cult and to quell Kranion(?). Died at Nolzeria (during attempted peace talks?) alongside thousands of others when the Water Dragon Muse was unleashed.
  • Enteh- Father is King Badoum(?) of Reeve. Died at Nolzeria when Enteh became Muse, I forget why she was forced into becoming Muse. Was a terrible man who mismanaged his country, trapped his daughter in the Water Temple b/c her Mark of Yutona was an ill-omen, and became hated by his people. 
  • Katri- Father is alive and the King of Salia, was imprisoned with his wife and separated from his daughter while the Salian throne was usurped for more than a decade. In the ending lives happily ever after reunited with his daughter. Katri's adoptive father, the priest Law, she thought was alive, but actually was killed offscreen earlier in the game by the bandit Maerchen, and it's the White Sage Morse who took over his body and then pretend to be him.
  • Plum- Her adopted father who she thought was her real one died in war. Her real father is alive, and if all goes well, she discovers him to be Raziel "Lionheart", who at Holmes's insistence, promises to take the Salian throne as brother to the king whenever the king dies. She lives happily ever after with him and her new stepmother Renee.
  • Bartz- Plum's adoptive father is his real father, and hence dead.
  • Sennet and Neyfa- Father was Prince Arless, heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Canaan and leader of its prestigious Black Knights. Died ~15 years prior because the Gerxel Cult thought him a problem. Sennet and Neyfa were raised without a father after the Gerxel almost killed them, although since their adoptive mother Katrina has Samson as a fiancee, maybe he was their adoptive father? The game never touches on this b/c Samson is traveling with Holmes.
  • Rishel and Meriah- Father was one of the Sages killed by their former colleague the Gerxel Cult leader Gwenchaos. I think their father was Light magic-oriented, while their grandfather was Fire-oriented.
  • Mel and Maruj- Father is Alfred, son of Eisenbaha and like him a Sage, both skilled in Wind magic. Alfred is the only Sage not Morse to survive TearRing Saga, even if Mel and Maruj thought he died like a decade ago.
  • Alicia- Her real father is dead, but Alfred, after sustaining severe injury, spent years in her mother's selfless care that ruined her own health. Alicia seems to regard Alfred as something like her own father.
  • Tia- Presumably dead from what who knows what since she was an infant. But, he was a prince of the Kingdom of Leda I think, since I recall Tita was Tia's aunt. Or was it her mother who was the Ledan royalty?
  • Sasha- Her father Raphael King of Welt was presumed dead after the disastrous Battle of Balt over a year ago against the Canaan Empire. He survived, injured, and cared for by his sister (in-law?) in a hidden village. Awesome bases, awesome class, awesomely playable.
  • Narron- I never recruited him, but I heard it's implied his father is General Ernst of Canaan.
  • Raffin- His father died in battle years ago, but at his insistence was adopted by his father's friend Marlon Count of Verje located in Welt. Marlon becomes Prime Minister of Welt after Runan gets rid of the scheming Codha there.
  • Esther- Her father is Count Marlon.
  • Zieg- His father was killed when he was only a little child for being Zoan?
  • Julia- Father is Yoda, the Zoan Swordmaster who rules the Isle of Yr with godly swordplay.
  • Shigen- Adoptive father is Yoda. His real father, named Shigen, was originally a Zoan and a member of the Gerxel Cult, but when he chose to leave it he was branded a heretic and killed by Carla, his wife and playable Shigen's mother. Shigen, born Teo, took his father's name when Yoda suggested his change his name.
  • Holmes- Father is Admiral Vals, ruler of Granada. A noble man, an old hero and friend to Lord Gramud, when the last-ditch fight against Canaan on the Lieberian continent failed, Vals stayed at Granada to the very end, buying time for Holmes and Runan to escape. Is presumed to have died, but after liberating Granada, Holmes discovers his father is still alive. He has been in hiding trying to help the people of Granada quietly resist Canaanite rule. Holmes wishes his father had died, he hates him and Vals hates his son back, they'd rather stab each other than admit deep down they love each other.
  • Attrom- According to Renee, as Attrom's ill mother died in Blahd, she asked about a man named Valentinus. On hearing this, Holmes immediately remembers his father's alias when on sexual escapades across Lieberia was Valentinus. Thus, Holmes concludes that Attrom is his bastard half-brother sired by his amorous father. Attrom is never told this, until offscreen after the ending.

• 1 month later...

I want a Fire Emblem father that is playable, even if they are added in last chapters.

Other idea is making them sick or old, but visitable if you return to your birth village. When talked to, their dialogues provide some exposition and worldbuilding, pretty much like the Pokemon parents or the villagers of Shadows of Valentia. 

1 hour ago, warriorsalamander said:

I want a Fire Emblem father that is playable, even if they are added in last chapters.

I assume you mean for main characters, because we've had Barst and just got Gilbert in Three Houses, to name two examples.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:15 AM, eclipse said:

Yepp. Stahl's father is an apothecary and Tharja's family consists of powerful mages but she still worries about them and keeps in touch via letters. I also believe Kellam's parents are alive and working on a farm.

Edited by Thane

8 hours ago, Thane said:

I assume you mean for main characters, because we've had Barst and just got Gilbert in Three Houses, to name two examples.

Guessing you meant to refer to Bartre? Also, Sacred Stones gave us Garcia, Tellius has Brom, and New Mystery gave us Dice... what's with dads all using axes?

10 hours ago, warriorsalamander said:

This could be cool, kind of like Mycen in Gaiden/Echoes. Maybe you have to rescue him, like Elbert in FE7? Or he opposes your mission initially, but then chooses to support you by joining?

Personally, I'd rather have the dad as the main lord. The archetypal lord's dad character, to be specific. So not quite Sigurd or Chrom, who become fathers during the game but it never goes beyond their kids being babies (and in Sigurd's case, while still remaining as the main lord), or the likes of Corrin and Chrom again in that due to timey-wimey shenanigans they interact with their grown-up kids while still being in their late 10's or early 20's themselves.

So basically, the late thirties to early forties middle-aged parent with a kid in their late teens or early twenties as the main, not their kid, as it would usually be the case.

However, I'm aware this is unlikely to be a thing, since they're likely to keep FE main lords young.

Or how about... the dad as the Jagen archetype unit? I feel that if we were to have them in, better be there for the long haul, not as a late joiner.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

As far as main protagonist characters go, yeah, a lot of the dads die, or are evil, or something like that. Eliwood is one of the few to actually be alive, survive the game, and not be evil. I'd like to see more dads like that in future games, the trope of the dying father does wear a bit thin after a little bit.

There are plenty of dads in the series you get to recruit, like the aforementioned Brom, Bartre, and Garcia, but none of them are the dads of the MAIN protagonists.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:15 AM, eclipse said:

Heck yeah he is.

11 hours ago, warriorsalamander said:

I'd like to see a game where the dad is the main character

personally I want a revenge story or a rescue story for a game is like that