What's the deal with Nino fans?

sirlottawin

People like her as a character. Some people find it satisfying to plump up a terrible unit into a very strong one with many green numbers. Nobody has thought she's a Good Unit by any metric since 2007. Decouple yourself from the idea that to like a character or to find them satisfying means that they are somehow playing the game wrong.

She is not the worst unit in the game because, if nothing else, she can provide EXP for ranked runs. And if you are using her for the exp rank, you may as well keep using her if the growths kick in. She was overrated in the past and is useless in LTC but that is not the only way to play the game an rate units.

She's around for longer than just two levels, but I guess that's not the point here.

People can like a character for all kinds of reasons. How good the character is as a unit isn't something that everyone cares about, or at least I sure don't. I hardly find myself not using a character I like becasue they're a "bad" unit. And I know if I just played by using only the "good" units, I would be using the same characters every single time I replay the game, which isn't fun. 

Also her story is very tragic, which as you would guess, plays part in her getting fans, which she deserves if you ask me.  

Basically what Parrhesia said.  Some find fun in grinding to elevate a unit that starts off terrible into a unit that may be better than all others of their same class (or at least roughly the same strength).  Others like the character arc she shares with Jaffar - a little girl brought into an assassin's life through a very cruel, tragic incident, who makes a seemingly cold, heartless assassin finally disobey his orders and she, herself, fights the very person who tried to have her killed.

Also, I hate to be the guy, but she's around for up to seven or maybe even eight chapters if you're doing Hector Mode.  At minimum, you'll have her for six chapters, and I'll also add you can bring her up to speed fairly easily in the gaiden chapter that comes immediately after the chapter you recruit her in.

Also

Hello, I feel like my name is in the post and I don't like it 😛

jokes aside, my username comes from when I finished my first FE7 save on ENM and I kept it like that for nostalgia.

I haven't even played FE7 in a while so IDK if I would still use her or not. I actually remember giving her the boots the first time I played the game, which is hilarious

Maybe a character doesn't have to be an incredible unit to be popular. Rinea wasn't even playable at all in Echoes but was still fairly popular, and what of villains?

From my own personal experience: she has a character arc within the story (something most side characters don't get) that is tragic and relatable to an extent. She may be bad in a competitive sense, but she's very satisfying to use for people who enjoy raising a weak unit into something strong, arguably the most satisfying Est-type in the series due to FE7's enemies and Nino using magic.

You can play as the villains sometimes. In Shadows of Valentia DLC, you can play as the white haired guy. And in Sacred Stones, you can play as villains after the main story. Both those games have post game content where you can actually do stuff with these characters, unlike FE7, where the game is over as soon as you get Nino.

Edited by sirlottawin

14 hours ago, sirlottawin said:

You can play as the villains sometimes. In Shadows of Valentia DLC, you can play as the white haired guy. And in Sacred Stones, you can play as villains after the main story. Both those games have post game content where you can actually do stuff with these characters, unlike FE7, where the game is over as soon as you get Nino.

I'm sorry, did you not hear anything we just said? By your logic, are we to believe then that Athos is unlikable trash because he's only playable for one chapter? Or perhaps there are no Black Knight fans because he has three playable appearances in FE10?

Your logic is not sound. Since when has playability, availability, or lack thereof ever stopped characters from being likeable and establishing a fanbase? And this goes beyond FE. e.g. If you think there weren't fans of Ganondorf before Melee came out, you are sorely mistaken.

Yes, playablility for any period of time certainly can and does help establish fans of a character, but it is most certainly not a prerequisite, especially for a character heavy series like Fire Emblem. Heroes only serves to bolster this fact, as Nino now has two alts. She does have fans despite her lategame recruitment and that ain't changing anytime soon, so you might as well get comfy.

14 hours ago, sirlottawin said:

She needs one chapter to be good. 26x. And it's a pretty good chapter since you can feed her almost every ennemies of the chapter (the main issues are those early wyverns that one shot her. use a meat shiled, place her behind. Heal when needed

Is it fun to turtle through( one of) the worst stage of the game? No.
Is it worth it? It depends. In Normal mode, if you're lucky enough and really feed her every ennemy on the stage you may be able to promote her and defeat her mother, which is pretty cool (It was a long time ago, but I remember doing it. I obviously gave her the Alfa Drop)

• 2 weeks later...

Story-wise, I like that she's a non-Lord who has a story arc that spans over a few chapters and has an actual conclusion. The fact she has boss conversations with Sonia, brothers, father, and even Nergal is a nice touch. She's also well-connected with other characters in your crew and in FE6. 

Gameplay-wise, I irrationally dislike her due to her involvement in Battle before Dawn, where she can sometimes die before you can even reach you. But when you actually get her, look at her bases: 19 HP / 7 Mag / 8 Skl / 11 Spd / 10 Lck / 4 Def / 7 Res. Her very low Con means she will have difficulty doubling all but the slowest of enemies before she gets a few levels, and her measly HP and Def means you have to protect her on enemy phase, and at this point in the game you kinda want units to go out and fend for themselves. Training her up means you're to have to turtle at a time where you probably want to be going much faster with 3 or 4 paladins and 2 or 3 fliers. On promotion she gets D staves and there's not much time to get her to B, which she needs for Physic. Contrast Nino with Pent who starts with A staves and A anima, who has higher HP, Mag, and Def at base than a lvl 20/1 Nino. She's very similar to Erk, Lucius, and Canas at lvl 20/1, but the latter have far better availability and don't need to be babied at all. If you promote them early you can give them staves to level them up even faster (e.g., spamming Mend, Torch, and Barrier). For ranked runs, yeah you kinda have to use her but she's more of a liability than a help, and you'll be using your other magic-users to do the actual work, anyway.

Edited by SilentFox

I mean, the main lord promotes between Nino's recruitment and the end of the game, just saying.

And Vaida/Renault must not even exist, since they're recruited after Nino.

A cute young lady 

A major character 

Mother of previously known characters

Her chemistry with Jaffar make them a quite popular shipping

Can be shipped with other character  

Bittersweet ending

It's rewarding turning an average or bad unit great 

• 2 months later...

Slumber kind of answered it for me, but hey if you actually get her up to scratch she's actually pretty good.

I know, she's inefficient, but I'm an inefficient bitch all the time don't mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Using bad units in general is fun and gives a sense of accomplishment. I did use Nino once because I had an Erk who had like, 9 Mag as a promoted level 8 sage. Made it work, she has 1-2 range so you can't have this much trouble keeping her safe.

Nino also is a bad unit in a relatively easy game. It's weird to ask what is the deal with Nino fans when there's units like Wendy in FE6 who are just way harder to get going (Wendy is also fun to train if you ask me). Nino also has good growths with attracts people who are into this sort of things.

There's more reasons that other people have already pointed out too, so yeah.

Edited by Koops