Surprising Roles of Voice Actors

Azure the Scale Tipper

So, some voice actors can be pretty versatile. And it can result in some very surprising characters that are voiced by the same voice actor. I’ll give two examples.

-Optimus Prime (G1, Michael Bay movies and onward) and Eeyore are both voices by Peter Cullen

-Shadow the Hedgehog and Donald Trump (in The Queen’s Corgi) have the same American (because English has two dubs; other one is for UK) VA in Kirk Thornton. This was on the SF Discord.

You guys can talk about other countries, but I am sure English and Japanese VAs will come up most.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to learn that the English VA for Tiki is also the English VA for Tikki in Miraculous. She voices two entirely different characters with the exact same name (though slightly different spelling)! lol

And on top of that, pretty much the entire English cast for Miraculous actually has voiced at least one FE character. The most notable being Bryce Papenbrook who voices several FE characters and Adrien/Cat Noir in Miraculous. Also funny: his Adrien voice actually sounds near identical to his Oscar voice. XD And these two are roughly ten years apart in age!

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Shadow the Hedgehog and Donald Trump (in The Queen’s Corgi) have the same American (because English has two dubs; other one is for UK) VA in Kirk Thornton. This was on the SF Discord.

He's also the VA of Dorcas and Surtr in Heroes.

Bernadetta's, Lianna's, and Deirdre's English VA's most well-known role is that of Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill.

There are also quite a few other instances of English FE VAs having roles in Kill La Kill:

Robin is Senketsu.

Gunnthra and L'arachel are Satsuki. They also share their VA with Mami Tomoe from Madoka Magica.

Delthea is Mako. They also share their VA with Madoka Kaname from Madoka Magica.

Chrom, Ryoma, Azama, and Shigure are Aikuro.

Rinea and Mercedes are Maiko (that chick in that one episode where Ryuko and Mako have to race to get to school in time who tries to steal Senketsu).

Lewyn is Inomuta.

Hector, Draug, Basilio, Jeritza, Zeke/Camus/Sirus, and Heroes! Garon are Gamagori.

Clive and Sigurd are Sanageyama.

Laevatein and Heroes! Mist are Jakuzure. They also share their VA with Sayaka Miki from Madoka Magica.

Caspar, Lorenz, Saizo, Matthew, and Jakob are the Dosh King himself, Takarada. They also share their VA with Joseph Joestar.

Catherine and Sylvia are Ragyo. They also share their VA with Primrose from Octopath.

Tharja, Rhajat, and Kjelle are Nui. They also share their VA with Airy from Bravely Default and Mitsuha from Your Name.

Lachiesis, E3 2018 Edelgard, and Tatiana are Hoomaru. They also share their VA with Homura Akemi from Madoka Magica, Ophillia from Octopath, and Shantae from, well, Shantae.

In non KLK comparisons, still English:

Julia and Sothis are Kyubey from Madoka Magica and Edea from Bravely Default.

Edelgard, Miriel, and Flavia are Kali Belladonna from RWBY.

Frederick is Kakyoin from JoJo.

Alm, Soren, and the Gatekeeper are Hal from Astral Chain and Narancia from JoJo.

Other comparisons:

Japanese Deirdre and Rhea are Cinder Fall from RWBY.

Mercury Black from RWBY shares his VA in both English and Japanese with Marth.

Japanese Edelgard did the voice for the Vocaloid Rana.

Japanese Rolf in Heroes shares his voice actor (well, more like provider) with the Vocaloid Megurine Luka.

And who could forget the most mindblowing of them all, this chick (Salem from RWBY):

latest?cb=20190202181147

Shares her VA.

WITH PRINCESS PEACH! (And also Cortana from Halo, but more emphasis on Peach).

17 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Robin is Senketsu.

He's also Gilgemesh from Fate and it just makes me love Grima even more honestly. Other notable roles include Grimmjow from bleach and Duval from One Piece

20 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Julia and Sothis are Kyubey from Madoka Magica and Edea from Bravely Default.

Not to mention she also voices the Tsundere queen otherwise known as Taiga Aisaka. Cassandra Lee Morris is a good one.

Here's a funny little factoid about Chrom's VA both japanese and english. Chrom shares both his japanese and english voice with Yusuke from Persona 5 which is one hell of a coincidence

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Here's a funny little factoid about Chrom's VA both japanese and english. Chrom shares both his japanese and english voice with Yusuke from Persona 5 which is one hell of a coincidence

This is possibly referenced in Smash with Chrom being in Yusuke's Spirit battle.

Two other factoids:

English Berkut is Brook from One Piece and Space Dandy from, well, Space Dandy.

Percy and Silas are Pit and Dark Pit in Kid Icarus Uprising.

God, I want another Kid Icarus game.

Marth, Eliwood, Merric, Ricken, and a Corn voice all have teen Ben Tennyson's voice actor, Yuri Lowenthal.

Yukimura is voiced by Paul Eiding, the voice of Grandpa Max in Ben 10 and the Vault-Tec Rep in Fallout 4.

On the non-FE side of things, Jason Marsden voices Chester McBadBat in Fairly OddParents and a bunch of Nords in Skyrim, and Haku in Spirited Away.

What usually surprises me is when quality, highly regarded talents are given really crummy roles in really crummy games.  Did anyone here know that Matt voiced some random butcher in Minecraft Story Mode?  Even being as familiar as I am with his voice from his work with Fire Emblem, my mind didn't register that it was his voice until I read about it in a YouTube comments section of a let's play for the game.  Matt Mercer, a renowned voice actor and notable mega nerd with a show, relegated to just a vocal cameo through a character you're probably meant to hate since he's wanting to chop up a creature you're supposed to care about.  Meanwhile, a bunch of amateurs with no actual experience in the acting industry were given crucial roles for one episode because they were popular YouTubers.  Not a cameo, actual, full-fledged roles, playing as their own Minecraft caricatures in an obligatory "Minecraft YouTuber" episode.  And they wonder why their company went under...

And before you tell me about how companies have to worry about their budgets and have only X-amount of time to record a high quality actor's voice, lemme point you to Patrick Stewart's role in Oblivion - he played the emperor.  The emperor only lasted until the end of the tutorial before he was mercilessly slaughtered by assassins, but he was an undeniably important character who spouted lines of almost Shakespearean language.  If you only have so much money to spend on a quality voice actor, don't waste them on a joke of a character that you'll forget about in less than five minutes - use them on a character who isn't physically present for most of the game but is still nonetheless very important or impactful in some way.

Another thing that surprised me is that Yuri Lowenthal - the voice of Marth - voiced members of Casar's Legion in Fallout: New Vegas.  Yeah, the prince of light that defeated Medeus is also a member of a giant slave army that abuses all women under it, crucifies people on telephone poles, sticks peoples' heads on pikes, and worships a single man as the spawn of a god.  Oh, and in the same game you'll also hear his voice come out of junkie/alcoholic beggars who say such intellectually stimulating lines as "peeing is the best".  Imagine the Hero King Marth drunkenly asking you if he could bum some booze off of you so that he can stave off a hangover, or telling you about how he'll lash you to a burning cross next to a bunch of "degenerate" slaves.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

And before you tell me about how companies have to worry about their budgets and have only X-amount of time to record a high quality actor's voice, lemme point you to Patrick Stewart's role in Oblivion - he played the emperor.  The emperor only lasted until the end of the tutorial before he was mercilessly slaughtered by assassins, but he was an undeniably important character who spouted lines of almost Shakespearean language.  If you only have so much money to spend on a quality voice actor, don't waste them on a joke of a character that you'll forget about in less than five minutes - use them on a character who isn't physically present for most of the game but is still nonetheless very important or impactful in some way.

They hired Sean Bean to voice Martin Septim. Of course, he died in the end.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Another thing that surprised me is that Yuri Lowenthal - the voice of Marth - voiced members of Casar's Legion in Fallout: New Vegas.  Yeah, the prince of light that defeated Medeus is also a member of a giant slave army that abuses all women under it, crucifies people on telephone poles, sticks peoples' heads on pikes, and worships a single man as the spawn of a god.  Oh, and in the same game you'll also hear his voice come out of junkie/alcoholic beggars who say such intellectually stimulating lines as "peeing is the best".  Imagine the Hero King Marth drunkenly asking you if he could bum some booze off of you so that he can stave off a hangover, or telling you about how he'll lash you to a burning cross next to a bunch of "degenerate" slaves.

That reminds me there was this guy being accosted in Freeside, and when I talked to him I swore he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal. I'd recognize that Ben Tennyson voice anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

What usually surprises me is when quality, highly regarded talents are given really crummy roles in really crummy games.  Did anyone here know that Matt voiced some random butcher in Minecraft Story Mode?  Even being as familiar as I am with his voice from his work with Fire Emblem, my mind didn't register that it was his voice until I read about it in a YouTube comments section of a let's play for the game.  Matt Mercer, a renowned voice actor and notable mega nerd with a show, relegated to just a vocal cameo through a character you're probably meant to hate since he's wanting to chop up a creature you're supposed to care about.

Wasn't Matt also in the movie Leo the Lion as the antagonist?

It's a crime I forgot to mention this, but in Japanese, Niles, Validar, Seteth, Lewyn, Lon'qu, Saber, Pent, and Navarre are voiced by everyone's favorite bisexual vampire, Dio Brando.

Edited by Espurrhoodie

Well, in the middle of English and maybe Japanese, I bring to you...Guilherme Briggs..a Brazilian voice actor (a famous one, actually).

He did: 

Buzz Lightyear

Yoda (Clone Wars)

Mickey Mouse

Scooby-Loo

Superman

and....freaking Pac-Man? (What does that even mean?? There's no context about it, it's literally just written 'Pac-Man'. Is it the character? Is it the character in some movie? Is it some obscure Pac-Man movie where he did all the voices?! We'll never know...) (Also, it isn't listed at 'Games')

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

"peeing is the best"

Marth go home you're drunk.

and....freaking Pac-Man? (What does that even mean?? There's no context about it, it's literally just written 'Pac-Man'. Is it the character? Is it the character in some movie? Is it some obscure Pac-Man movie where he did all the voices?! We'll never know...) (Also, it isn't listed at 'Games')

@BergelomeuSantos Maybe he made the chomping noises? Oh wait, not under Games. Huh.

Edited by Dragoncat

I just found that Lani Minella is several Koopalings, including Morton, as well as Lucas from Mother 3. She's also Mia in FE as a lot of us here know.

No wonder Mia sounds so damn weird sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

@BergelomeuSantos Maybe he made the chomping noises? Oh wait, not under Games. Huh.

This was the first thing that came to mind. I would 100% (even if it's not possible) every Pac-Man game if I could hear this man's voice at every second.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I just found that Lani Minella is several Koopalings, including Morton, as well as Lucas from Mother 3. She's also Mia in FE as a lot of us here know.

No wonder Mia sounds so damn weird sometimes.

She also does the voice for Nancy Drew, Rouge the Bat, and the main character in America's Next Top Model for the Wii.

Just now, Espurrhoodie said:

She also does the voice for Nancy Drew, Rouge the Bat, and the main character in America's Next Top Model for the Wii.

Nancy Drew?! What?! In what exactly? I don't remember there being anything of Nancy Drew that required a voice for her. And I'm a major Nancy Drew fan.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nancy Drew?! What?! In what exactly? I don't remember there being anything of Nancy Drew that required a voice for her. And I'm a major Nancy Drew fan.

Apparently there were a few Nancy Drew video games where Lani Minella voiced her.

Just now, Espurrhoodie said:

Apparently there were a few Nancy Drew video games where Lani Minella voiced her.

Huh... I remember having some Nancy Drew computer games, but I don't recall them having voice acting. I couldn't play two of them though, as they wouldn't install. But it has been a long time, so maybe I just don't remember.

13 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

They hired Sean Bean to voice Martin Septim. Of course, he died in the end.

I feel like Oblivion was a real trendsetter with this whole "killing off the character of a high profile actor" thing.  Though Mean Bean Machine definitely got more lines than dearest old Captain Picard.

13 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

That reminds me there was this guy being accosted in Freeside, and when I talked to him I swore he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal. I'd recognize that Ben Tennyson voice anywhere.

He did a lot of voices in that game, as he was essentially one of the, like, ten-or-so generic voices in the game.  He also is the male voice for the protagonist - the female voice is Laura Bailey.  Your character's voice in Fallout: New Vegas is Marth or Lucina!  Now I want a mod where I get to liberate the Mojave Wasteland from evil dragons.

3 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

It's a crime I forgot to mention this, but in Japanese, Niles, Validar, Seteth, Lewyn, Lon'qu, Saber, Pent, and Navarre are voiced by everyone's favorite bisexual vampire, Dio Brando.

Incidentally, those first two are unrepentant assholes like Dio is.

Actually, not quite... Niles does kinda try to repent, but he's still a jackass to most everyone he meets.  Just like in classic Dio fashion.  Don't let Niles get near any dogs or people whose names phonetically start with "Jo".

Just now, Anacybele said:

Huh... I remember having some Nancy Drew computer games, but I don't recall them having voice acting. I couldn't play two of them though, as they wouldn't install. But it has been a long time, so maybe I just don't remember.

Could be. I only know about it from a few Youtube comments on Lucahjin's LP of America's Next Top Model for the Wii.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I was surprised to learn that the English VA for Tiki is also the English VA for Tikki in Miraculous. She voices two entirely different characters with the exact same name (though slightly different spelling)! lol

Mela Lee is also the voice of one of the more notable tsunderes in anime. The second queen of the archetype Rin Tohsaka and she is great. There are a lot of fate VAs in FE.

Bryce Papenbrook(Voice of Shirou in fate) as Henry, Karel, Oscar, and many more. 

David Vincent as Gilgemesh and Robin.

Kaiji Tang as the voice of both EMIYA(yes that is his name) and Owain

Kyle McCarley(Voice of Shinji Matou) as Alm

Julie ann Taylor as the voices of Taiga, Severa, and Cordelia

Stepahnie sheh who voices Illyasviel voices Beruka and Tharja in fire emblem.

Matthew Mercer Voices Kiritsugu in fate Voices Chrom, Shigure, and Ryoma in FE.

Like I said a lot of fate voice actors.

1 hour ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Frederick is Kakyoin from JoJo.

He also voices Kamina from Gurren Lagann. Guy was spitting out raw lines since like forever