Surprising Roles of Voice Actors

Azure the Scale Tipper

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

speaking of VAs who can sing Matt Mercer isn't too bad himself cause he sang lost in thoughts all alone as Shigure for the Heirs of Fate DLC

Yeah, he wasn't bad at all. I've heard better though. Rena Strober is better too imo.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

She also does the voice for Nancy Drew, Rouge the Bat, and the main character in America's Next Top Model for the Wii.

She was the original voice for Rouge. Current voice? Karen Strassman. Yup, Rouge is now Anna.

Honestly never cared about Rouge before, but she gets some cool points for that.

Oh yeah, if you guys want to see just exactly how funny it is that these two have near identical voices from Bryce Papenbrook, here you go:

b46a88ff589c3bd46ceaf2aff4b4e756.png470ffe5b44a68d7462cc69619ce9989cfeb81140

A cat-themed superhero 14-15 year old boy who flirts, makes puns, and is a general goofball and a calm and collected mature chef knight who's 24-27 (depending on the game appearance). XD

God I love Cat Noir though! He's so hilarious and yet badass at the same time! Now as Adrien he hides that goofy side of his (likely because of his strict father), but when he's Cat Noir...oh boy, throw everything you see of Adrien's usual personality out the window. He's that much different. XD Bryce Papenbrook only helps make this character so great!

Oscar is great too though, it's not every day you see a knight who cooks!

Edited by Anacybele

DC Douglas (Albert Wesker from the Resident Evil series) voicing Wrys in FEH. I did not see that one coming. Not at all.

Edited by Karimlan

I wouldn’t say surprising but, Robbie Daymond as Tobin, Hubert, Akechi, Zest and Spiderman.

Billy Kametz as both Ferdinand and the male announcer in Mario and Sonic (somehow I immediately recognized him)

a few others

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

DC Douglas (Albert Wesker from the Resident Evil series) voicing Wrys in FEH. I did not see that one coming. Not at all.

He's also Yoshikage Kira from JoJo.

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

He's also Yoshikage Kira from JoJo.

That's the thing. I've always had this feeling of Douglas' characters as manipulative, devious, and maniacal, and in FEH he's voicing...a humble curate (to be fair, he also voiced Gharnef)?

1 minute ago, Karimlan said:

That's the thing. I've always had this feeling of Douglas' characters as manipulative, devious, and maniacal, and in FEH he's voicing...a humble curate (to be fair, he also voiced Gharnef)?

He also voiced Gunter.

16 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Speaking of Laura Bailey, she voices Serana the vampire in Skyrim!

Laura Bailey is the female version of Nolan North/Troy Baker, so it's hardy surprising at this point.

Anyway, the late Rene Auberjonois (Odo from Star Trek Deep Space Nine) was the voice of Mr. House in Fallout: New Vegas.

10 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

So, Mark Hamill. Most know him as Luke Skywalker. Others also know him as the Joker.

He was also Skips in Regular Show and Master Eraqus in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

He's also Firelord Ozai from ATLA.

I forgot to mention this, but Sigurd and Clive share their English VA with N in Pokemon Generations.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, if you guys want to see just exactly how funny it is that these two have near identical voices from Bryce Papenbrook, here you go:

b46a88ff589c3bd46ceaf2aff4b4e756.png470ffe5b44a68d7462cc69619ce9989cfeb81140

A cat-themed superhero 14-15 year old boy who flirts, makes puns, and is a general goofball and a calm and collected mature chef knight who's 24-27 (depending on the game appearance). XD

God I love Cat Noir though! He's so hilarious and yet badass at the same time! Now as Adrien he hides that goofy side of his (likely because of his strict father), but when he's Cat Noir...oh boy, throw everything you see of Adrien's usual personality out the window. He's that much different. XD Bryce Papenbrook only helps make this character so great!

Oscar is great too though, it's not every day you see a knight who cooks!

Personally I don’t really like Bryce Papenbrook. Whenever I hear him, I just kinda wanna groan. He’s probably one of my least favorite English VAs in the business cause he’s almost always miscast. Like Okay whenever he plays like laidback or insane characters like Komaeda, Henry, or Kamui(from SoV) then I find him to be just fine in fact I find Henry to be one of his best roles. But I hate it whenever he’s cast as a protagonist like Shirou Emiya, Eren Yeager, Rin Okumura, or Makoto Naegi. He just sounds so damn whiney and it’s just incredibly ear grating if I’m being honest. Also, the dude cannot scream at all. Like you’ll have this big dramatic moment where the character lets out a war cry and it just comes off as more laughable than dramatic. I dunno I just don’t like him a lot of the time. Blame direction or whatever but most of the time, his voice just irritates me. Though I like him more than Greg Ayres, I can’t stand listening to Greg no matter what role he’s in.

Edited by Ottservia

Celica and Sophitia from SC6 are Erica Lindbeck. 

Grant George is also Kilik from SC6 as well as WoL from dissidia.

13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Personally I don’t really like Bryce Papenbrook. Whenever I hear him, I just kinda wanna groan. He’s probably one of my least favorite English VAs in the business cause he’s almost always miscast. Like Okay whenever he plays like laidback or insane characters like Komaeda, Henry, or Kamui(from SoV) then I find him to be just fine in fact I find Henry to be one of his best roles. But I hate it whenever he’s cast as a protagonist like Shirou Emiya, Eren Yeager, Rin Okumura, or Makoto Naegi. He just sounds so damn whiney and it’s just incredibly ear grating if I’m being honest. Also, the dude cannot scream at all. Like you’ll have this big dramatic moment where the character lets out a war cry and it just comes off as more laughable than dramatic. I dunno I just don’t like him a lot of the time. Though I like him more than Greg Ayres, I can’t stand listening to Greg no matter what role he’s in.

I agree with this. I thought he used to be good as well.

Edited by lightcosmo

52 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Personally I don’t really like Bryce Papenbrook. Whenever I hear him, I just kinda wanna groan. He’s probably one of my least favorite English VAs in the business cause he’s almost always miscast. Like Okay whenever he plays like laidback or insane characters like Komaeda, Henry, or Kamui(from SoV) then I find him to be just fine in fact I find Henry to be one of his best roles. But I hate it whenever he’s cast as a protagonist like Shirou Emiya, Eren Yeager, Rin Okumura, or Makoto Naegi. He just sounds so damn whiney and it’s just incredibly ear grating if I’m being honest. Also, the dude cannot scream at all. Like you’ll have this big dramatic moment where the character lets out a war cry and it just comes off as more laughable than dramatic. I dunno I just don’t like him a lot of the time. Blame direction or whatever but most of the time, his voice just irritates me. Though I like him more than Greg Ayres, I can’t stand listening to Greg no matter what role he’s in.

Huh. Well, I think he fits great as those two guys I showed in the post you quoted. The not so deep voice fits Oscar to me because of his personality and appearance. He doesn't strike me as a guy with a deep voice at all despite his age. Also, if you don't like when Papenbrook tries to scream, don't ever try listening to Cat Noir's "CATACLYSM!" then, as you probably won't like it. xP

However, I do wish he'd throw in a meow or two every now and then for Cat Noir! The Korean dub has Cat Noir meow sometimes and it's damn cute. lol

Edited by Anacybele

This is a bit more of an unorthodox comparison, but several of FE's VAs have done Dungeons and Dragons campaigns/sessions in some way.

Matt Mercer (Chrom, Ryoma, Azama, Shigure) runs a campaign on Critical Role, and his players consist of Travis Willingham (Ogma and the original Garon and Camus), the Emmy award-winning* Sam Riegel (Donnel, Stahl and Raigh, where he's credited as "Sam Regal"), Taliesin Jaffe (Bruno, Navarre and Cain, credited as "T. Axelrod"), Liam O'Brien (Inigo's original VA before getting recast), Laura Bailey (Lucina and Palla's original VAs before, again, getting recast), Marisha Ray (Oboro, Effie, Shanna and Mikoto), and Ashley Johnson (who has no roles in FE). Orion Acaba (Gerome) also used to be part of CR, but left due to some of his issues which I won't get into.

Kaiji Tang (Owain, Narcian, Lloyd) also has a couple of shows under his belt. Cristina Vee (Lachesis, Athena as "Cristina Valenzuela") has shown up on both shows, and Amanda Miller (Elincia and Sully) and Erin Fitzgerald (Sanaki and Olwen's old VA, also voiced Emmeryn) have shown up as guests. Erika Ishii (Loki) also showed up as a guest in a since-defunct D&D show before being cast in Heroes.

A Japanese example that I found pretty interesting while I was playing Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth:

Norio Wakamoto, the voice of Duftmon, also did the voice of Chiyo-Chichi (Azumanga Daioh), Barbatos Goetia (Tales of Destiny 2), Cell (Dragon Ball Z), Mumkhar (Xenoblade Chronicles), Nobunaga Oda (Sengoku Basara (a soundbyte from that anime is in the link I posted, because you need to listen to that voice)). Dude is pretty much typecast for evil characters (except Chiyo-Chichi. That... thing is just... weird).

And speaking of Dragon Ball and Digimon crossing over: Masako Nozawa, the Japanese voice actress for Son Goku, also lent her voice to Guilmon in Digimon Tamers as well as the Royal Knight Gallantmon (or Dukemon in Japanese) in almost every iteration EXCEPT his appearance in Cyber Sleuth.

For English voices, we have Melissa Fahn, the voice of Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia, who also lent her voice to the character Rika in the English dub of Digimon Tamers, Mordimort (Stella Glow), as well as Maribelle (Fire Emblem Awakening), Rider (Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works), and Tana (Fire Emblem Heroes).

And Fire Emblem-wise, we have:

Tomoyo Kurosawa, who is our very own Sothis, also did Christophorus (Nights of Azure and Nights of Azure 2), two characters I've been comparing to each other ever since Three Houses was announced.

And then there's the voice of Sumia, Eden Riegel, who also voiced the wicked fairy Anne in Bravely Second. Seriously. If you don't mind heavily spoiling yourself, watch the first 4 minutes and 23 seconds of this video. This woman is a voice acting genius.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

And then there's the voice of Sumia, Eden Riegel, who also voiced the wicked fairy Anne in Bravely Second. Seriously. If you don't mind heavily spoiling yourself, watch the first 4 minutes and 23 seconds of this video. This woman is a voice acting genius.

She was also Estelle in Tales of Vesperia!

I just thought of another funny but cute voice role. Well, one of these is a voice role.

The guy that did this role:

spiderman.jpg

Voiced this little guy:

4227-2.jpg

Yep, Tobey Maguire was playing an adorable beagle puppy in the cute movie Cats & Dogs before becoming Spiderman!

Edited by Anacybele