So where does Mario go next?

Fabulously Olivier

With Odyssey essentially taking Mario everywhere, where does he go from here? What would you do with his next 3D entry?

Personally, I'd go in the reverse direction and strand him in a medieval land. Put all of the goombas and koopas in armor. Introduce a magical talking Captain America style shield as Mario's new gimmick. 

It would be one more entertaining step in Mario eternally dunking on Sonic. Doing Sonic and the Black Knight, but competently.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

I want an odyssey 2 before we get a new gimmick, but i suppose time travel may be likely.

Are you saying Mario's Time Machine doesn't count? How dare you!

Jokes aside I think taking Mario through time would be an excellent idea since there's so many time periods with fascinating cultures to draw from.

First thought that came to me is to take the shrinking/enlarging we've seen through the series, and make it the core conceit. The DS titles gave us Giant Mario and Mini Mario, but we could also see Skinny Mario and Chubby Mario. Hell, maybe a Mesh Mario that can go through... well, meshes. Could give us a game with an emphasis on puzzle-solving, as you have to figure out how to get the proper power-ups to move between obstacles.

Then again, the more I think about it, it justs sounds like a simplified version of what Odyssey offered. I like the idea of traveling through time.

Stretch goal: include Vivian, or literally anyone from Thousand Year Door. But mostly Vivian.

Ideally, we should get a Super Mario Odyssey 2; one with more platforming challenges and less filler.

After that, I would like to see a remake of Super Mario Sunshine; complete with the following changes:

• The sections of the island that were cut for time get added back in, including the following:
    • Hotel Lacrima (a hotel level that isn't Boo-infested)
    • Etro Rock
    • Lighthouse Island
    • Island Harbour
    • Fire Shrine
    • Battleship Island
  • A couple brand new levels I've come up with, including:
    • An under-construction railway/monorail project
    • An Island-Tour Ship, or a Cruise Ship that happened to be near the island when Bowser Jr. began polluting everything
  • The Turbo Nozzle no longer works above water, and is instead reworked for use underwater to improve underwater movement. Also, better underwater movement in general.
  • Camera fixes that include the following:
    • the camera no longer turns everything blue when it has trouble finding Mario
    • it automatically zooms in when Mario is climbing metal grating; fixing the level where you have to climb the back of the Ferris Wheel ride
    • it no longer automatically turns behind Mario when you activate the hover nozzle; eliminating the need to waste time course-correcting
  • Fixes to the game's more notorious objectives, including:
    • The Pachinko Game no longer automatically launches Mario or takes away his controls. Instead, one uses the rocket nozzle to get up the machine. 
    • "Scrubbing Sirena Beach" has additional time
    • The boat segment of Corona Mountain is heavily reduced in length, given more intuitive controls, and forms one small section of a level similar in gameplay and design to the Bowser levels in Super Mario 64, but made to fit the idea of being inside the volcano.
    • Bowser's final boss fight is completely reworked to actually be interesting.
    • Lily Pad Ride is much easier to get to, navigating the lily pad is more intuitive, and you get sent back to the island, rather than Delfino Plaza, when you exit the warp pipe
    • Gelato Beach has fewer Cataquacks and they're easier to beat. Guiding the Watermelon is either replaced with a more interesting challenge or guiding the watermelon is made less awkward.
  • A lot of the more tedious blue coins are removed.

What do you think?

Edited by vanguard333

If with Galaxy and Odyssey was the final frontier... then we go beyond! Across the dimensions! Into the Marioverse!

Actually, that would be kinda cool.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Personally, I'd go in the reverse direction and strand him in a medieval land.

The Mushroom Kingdom is already a medieval land. We have castles, Toad guards with spears and a complete lack of advanced technology with the exception of E. Gadd's inventions and Bowser's collection of cannons and explosives.

27 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The Mushroom Kingdom is already a medieval land. We have castles, Toad guards with spears and a complete lack of advanced technology with the exception of E. Gadd's inventions and Bowser's collection of cannons and explosives.

But they also have plumbing and coffee shops.

I think Super Mario Odyssey 2 should develop the international theme in Odyssey 1 by putting Mario in the most international event of all time, the Olympics.

Mario is going to Bowser's castle next of course. 

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I wouldn't go that far. The Last Resort from Luigi's mansion is a modern sky scrapper, many side games have modern city levels, Paper Mario has a fancy train and a Metal Gear Solid base and much more examples of modern tech can be found. 

The Mushroom Kingdom has some holdovers from Medieval times like monarchy and castle but aside from that its pretty modern on the tech level. Then again the Mushroom Kingdom has always been amusingly inconsistent as a world so it might vary from game to game. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I think Super Mario Odyssey 2 should develop the international theme in Odyssey 1 by putting Mario in the most international event of all time, the Olympics.

Now, THAT would be rad. Maybe they could have him face off against characters from another platformer series. Let's say... Bubsy.

40 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Now, THAT would be rad. Maybe they could have him face off against characters from another platformer series. Let's say... Bubsy.

Purrfect! It'll sell like catnip! We'll ship millions, pawsibly billions of copies!

The other possible succession to Super Mario Odyssey is Super Mario Aeneid.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Jokes aside I think taking Mario through time would be an excellent idea since there's so many time periods with fascinating cultures to draw from.

Long ago, I did have this idea for a "Super Mario 4D Land." Mario didn't travel to different places and points in history (though it would be fun), but there would be specific platforms in each world where he could stand and change the rest of the stage between past, present, and future forms. It sounds like a mechanic which would work more for a puzzle focused series, so for Mario visiting places in history is a better idea. That said, the Mario Universe doesn't exactly have comprehensive history to travel through, so it would probably end up being redundant compared to simply having kingdoms based on historical eras.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't go that far. The Last Resort from Luigi's mansion is a modern sky scrapper, many side games have modern city levels, Paper Mario has a fancy train and a Metal Gear Solid base and much more examples of modern tech can be found. 

The Mushroom Kingdom has some holdovers from Medieval times like monarchy and castle but aside from that its pretty modern on the tech level. Then again the Mushroom Kingdom has always been amusingly inconsistent as a world so it might vary from game to game. 

It is consistently modern, I'd say. Electric lights and running water are a common sight in most Mario games. Sunshine has everyone fly a plane to a tourist hotspot. Not to mention that Mario is from Brooklyn.

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Hyrule

A Hyrule-based level would actually be a really cool bonus level in a 3D Mario game. I can see it now: a mix of classic Zelda locations with Hyrule Field, the Deku Tree, Death Mountain, Zora Domain, and Hyrule Castle & Castle Town; all designed for platforming. Rupees act as coins, fairies act as green mushrooms, and the boss of the Hyrule world is a The Legend of Zelda boss; I'm thinking a Darknut/Iron Knuckle. Mario having to prove himself against an actual Zelda boss without access to any of Link's gear (and thus having to beat the boss his own way) would be really cool. 

What do you think of the idea of a remake of Super Mario Sunshine?