How do people deal with Claude as an enemy?

Anacybele

As much as I love Claude as a character, I'm absolutely hating having to fight against him. He's freaking OP. Not nearly as simple to take out as Dimitri and Edelgard are.

I don't know what IS was thinking when they decided that Claude would be a wyvern bow wielder with insane range and crazy good stats while Dimitri and Edelgard get...not much. Edelgard's stuck as a lame armor who you can just easily pick off with magic. She seems the worst of the bunch. Dimitri is good, but still has much more limited range and movement than Claude.

At the very least, I wish Dimitri had gotten a horse for his unique class (he even got one in Heroes for some reason). Edelgard could stand to be able to access magic. Etc.

Anyway, I don't know how to stop Claude from killing someone in my party before I can do much to him. Bows don't even do much damage. I tried, he didn't even lose half his HP bar (and this was with either a killer or silver bow, btw). I guess he has an ability or skill that nullifies fliers' weakness to bows on top of his weapon, range, and stats. And he often retreats out of my attack range after attacking, whether his target survives or not. And he hits really hard. And he's fast, so I'm not sure I have many units that won't be hit twice by him.

I've made sure my party has the best combinations of abilities and stuff that they can have right now, so that's not an issue. This is Azure Moon chapter 17 I'm struggling in, by the way. I've tried it many times at this point. I also even tried using some advice already.

Honestly though, IS should've made the three house leaders more equally good. I feel the gap between Claude and the other two is ridiculous.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then what did you do to make him so easy? That's what I'm asking. xP

How do people deal with Claude as an enemy? Just kill him with a ranged unit. Simple as that. Brave Bows or high damage magic. Gambits can also do the trick.

Although, the last time I offered help to someone, that person was kinda agressive when the idea didn't work.

Personally I stuck Felix alone in his range, used Impregnable Wall on him, then battered Claude down with a 4x strike with gauntlets.

The other time I used Byleth I think and she dodged his attack and killed him on the retaliation. But this Byleth had super high avoid and speed so that's probably not something that can be easily replicated...

11 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

How do people deal with Claude as an enemy? Just kill him with a ranged unit. Simple as that. Brave Bows or high damage magic. Gambits can also do the trick.

Although, the last time I offered help to someone, that person was kinda agressive when the idea didn't work.

I don't have a brave bow right now. But maybe I can buy one.

9 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Personally I stuck Felix alone in his range, used Impregnable Wall on him, then battered Claude down with a 4x strike with gauntlets.

What's Impregnable Wall?

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

If it's theĀ Gronder Field battle, just wait until Claude get closer and kill him with archers and mages. If it's the Derdriu Map, Claude doesn't move, which makes the job easier.

I said chapter 17, so it's the Gronder Field battle.

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What's Impregnable Wall?

A defensive gambit that cuts damage dealt and taken by whoever is affected to 1 for the remainder of the turn.

53 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What's Impregnable Wall?

A gambit that makes it so all damage dealt is only 1 for the remainder of the round. It works quite well for Claude as it allows you to bait him out safely and then your damage comes back for the player phase so you can swarm and kill him.

Claude's big weakness (which actually makes him the easiest to deal with on Maddening IMO) is that he can't counter if you attack him from beyond range 3, due to lacking the Counterattack skill the other major story bosses (Edelgard, Dimitri, and Rhea) have. This means that mages with Thyrsus, or Caduceus + Thoron, or Meteor can take free shots at him, as can archers using skills such as Curved Shot (though they'll have lower hit due to range penalties), softening him for someone else to finish.

If Claude ends up in the middle of a swarm of enemies, I recommend hitting them with Wave Attack (the gambit on the King of Lions battalion which Dimitri got after the time-skip) to halt their movement which should help protect anyone squishy you have nearby. Don't target Claude himself with it because his charm is very high so the hit rate won't be good. Obviously trying to put your more durable units in front of the mages/archers is helpful too.

It might be possible to separate Claude from his friends before you engage him too, but as I didn't do it personally, I'll leave that advice to others.

The Sacred Shield Gambit on the Kingdom Heavy Knights BattalionĀ completely nullifies all attacks at range. This will make any unit invulnerable to Claude's attacks and can make anĀ otherwise defensively weak ranged unit capable ofĀ luringĀ and safely engage him in combat.Ā 

Then it's all a matter of getting anotherĀ unit to take him down on player phase. Dimtri with Atrocity, a Sniper with Hunter's Volley,Ā orĀ any unit with a Brave WeaponĀ will be a good choice.Ā 

Edited by LoneRecon400

I guess I've just been very lucky with my archer's strength growths and crit rates (which I admit tend to be bolstered by a killer bow and crit ring for the crit rate, and an energy drop/rocky burdocks for the strength). Because I've been able to one shot him every time with a crit. The only time I had even the slightest trouble was the one time he targetted one of Edelgard's units with Fallen Star, leaving me having to come up with a way to survive a turn with him in range where he couldn't be hit back. As soon as it wore off though, he was screwed.

I got lucky during my battle with him and all of the GD army ran straight into the burning mound that the just defeated Edelgard set on fire for no reason. Because the dumb cavs (LEONIE) were hogging up room on the mound and preventing heavy hitters like Hilda coming my way, Claude was the only one who just flew over to start messing with us. He flew into my range (but still too far to attack me) where I had Dimitri, Dedue, and Felix rush at him and threw whatever gambit I had left at him. Unfortunately the gambits didn't work because Claude's charm is so high so Dimitri just procs a crit with Areadbhar to save me some stress.

The one time I faced him at Gronder Part 2, all I did was leave Killer Edge Felix in his range. He missed andĀ got crit, making it pretty anti-climatic lol. He was the first and only Deer to go down and I got to easily avoid the rest.Ā 

Edited by Crysta

As others have said, gambit him and then pick him off with magic. His res is not that good. Impregnable wall is a great utility gambit, it makes Maddening NG a lot easier than it would otherwise be generally.

I agree that Dmitri should have ended up as a paladin-like character with a horse. And Edelgard should have been able to use magic when in her promoted class, like the Emperor class from Genealogy. They are both pa le in comparison to how broken Claude's end class is.

I tried some of these things, including that brave bow idea. But the hit rate wasn't that great (68%) and Ashe missed one hit and died on the counterattack. So that didn't work. I ended up...well, just getting very creative with my unit placement and who I decided to kill first. And I finally cleared that damn chapter. Claude ended up going down before the rest of his crew, as he used his high movement to attack a beast instead of my guys and I picked him off then. I gradually took down the rest of his guys after that and left Edelgard for last since she wasn't going to move. Fittingly, Dimitri criticaled her ass. Attaboy! ^^

I've also cleared chapter 18, though that took me a couple tries because I initially didn't catch that I had to hit a lever in the upper right corner of the map to weaken the beasts. lol

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

As others have said, gambit him and then pick him off with magic. His res is not that good. Impregnable wall is a great utility gambit, it makes Maddening NG a lot easier than it would otherwise be generally.

I agree that Dmitri should have ended up as a paladin-like character with a horse. And Edelgard should have been able to use magic when in her promoted class, like the Emperor class from Genealogy. They are both pa le in comparison to how broken Claude's end class is.

Using GambitsĀ on Claude directly would be highly likely to fail, unless you had a crazy amount of charm (even on normal, he has 37).

I disagree on giving Edelgard's unique classes magic - making them a half-assed hybrid class would not help much.