What Video Games Are You Looking Forward To in 2020?

Roland

With 2019 and the decade of the 2010s less than 24 hours away from coming to a close, which upcoming video games are you looking forward to in the next year of 2020?

I'm looking forward to:

Doom Eternal: I loved Doom 4. It's easily one of my favorite FPS games ever made, and Eternal so far looks to be everything 4 had but cranked up to 11. I cannot wait for this game!

Resident Evil 3 The Remake: Resident Evil has been on a roll recently, and it looks like 3 is going to the RE:2 treatment, which is awesome. (Nemisis's new look could use a bit work though)

While not necessarily super excited for it, I am going to keep a watchful eye on Cyberpunk 2077 to see if it's going to be worth a purchase in the future. 

Every single Fighting game announced (Under Night in Birth Ctrl, King of Fighter XV, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Guilty Gear Strive) because I'm a sucker for Fighting game.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It feels like a decade since I last play an Animal Crossing and this one brings a lot to the table so sign me in.

No More Heroes 3. It's been a literal decade since I discovered the first one on Wii and I'm really glad it get a new main title.

CrisTales, the demo left me with a good impression so I'm keeping my eyes out for it.

Magic The Gathering Legends. Been a while since I got to play a MMO and I'm willing to try this one out.

CyberPunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2, Ghostwire Tokyo, DeathLoop and Babylon Fall are games that I'm interested in but not sure whether I would like to play. But I 100% want to see more of them.

Right now, the only ones I have any real interest in are Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and Cyberpunk 2077.  Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot may be the first Dragon Ball RPG I get into if you don't count Dragon Ball Xenoverse; what I mean is it's gonna be the first that's in line with games such as Legacy of Goku or Attack of the Saiyans, where the game is much more focused on the stat building and downtime between the more major fights.  And I'm interested in Cyberpunk because I enjoy big, open RPGs with choices and consequences, especially ones that tackle mature issues, Fallout: New Vegas being the prime example.

Other games that I may have some interest in include Final Fantasy VII: Remake and Animal Crossing: New Horizons.  I'm gonna try the demo of FF7:R to see if I'm into the game.  I've never played the original FF7, mostly because I've grown tired of the traditional turn-based JRPG formula, but I would like to see what all the fuss is about with the game, and hope the remake will help me see what the deal is.  For Animal Crossing... it's mostly just on my radar.  I may pick it up, I may not.  We'll see.

25 minutes ago, Ycine said:

Every single Fighting game announced (Under Night in Birth Ctrl, King of Fighter XV, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Guilty Gear Strive) because I'm a sucker for Fighting game.

And here I am, being lame and sticking with just Tekken and Soul Calibur.

I might buy the second Season Pass for SC6 if the next character turns out to be a character I'm interested in.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: I've never actually played Final Fantasy before, and this seems like a good way to start. 

Breath of the Wild Sequel: It probably won't release in 2020, but we will probably get more information about it in 2020, and I'm looking forward to that. 

I'm not excited for it, but I am curious about the upcoming One-Punch Man game. I really like the anime (I even enjoy season 2, despite its problems), and it looks interesting even though I'm not normally interested in fighting games. Honestly though, I thought that, if there was going to be a One-Punch Man game, it would be an RPG where you make your own hero and try to rise through the ranks of the hero association. 

Also, 2019 isn't actually the last year of the decade; there's no year 0, so 2021 is actually the start of the new decade. 

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: If they fix some certain things from the original game then I might end up liking it better than its sequel. 

Persona 5 Royal: I’m still trying to avoid spoilers, and I won’t be able to play it until May even though it comes out in March, but I’m super hyped nonetheless. 

FF7 Remake: I’ve never been a huge fan of the series but this game has visuals too good to not bother with.

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Bravely Default II

Persona 5 Royal

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Resident Evil 3 remake

Animal Crossing: New Horizon

Trials of Mana remake

Marvel’s Avengers

There could be others but these are the ones I’m looking forward to the most.

Edited by Faustino

The three that instantly come to mind are Xenoblade DefinitiveTMS Encore, and Project Diva Switch.

I played XBC2 and really liked it and I've seen Chuggaaconroy's LP of 1, so I'm pretty excited.

TMS is the closest thing to a crossover between FE and Vocaloid, and I'm probably a big enough weeb to enjoy the game.

I heavily enjoyed Project Mirai (especialky since it introduced me to the songs Invisible and Nice to Meet You Mr Earthling) and I'm a huge Vocaloid fan, so of course I'm getting PD Switch. Kind of disappointed that Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder, Ievan Polkka, and Lost One's Weeping are getting removed since those songs are Vocaloid classics, but at least we're getting almost every Wowaka song except Unknown Mother Goose.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions (TMS) Remaster: Loved the original, but never got to finish it. Happy it's FINALLY coming to the switch(it's one of the ports I've wanted the most)! I know it it kinda got a bad rep with some folks when it was revealed, but it's a good game(heck...they even fixed some of the issues that some people had with when it was first shown off) and I hope more people give it a shot!

Persona 5 Royal : Been a Persona fan for quite some time, but I didn't really get a chance to play the original much, so I'm happy I get another go at it.

Trials of Mana Remake: This game...the amount of joy I had when this was announced was...staggering. Played the original translated game years ago and it's so wild that this even exists! Heck, I'm still surprised the Mana Collection exists! 

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: Played the original( thanks to Chuggaconroy), but I stopped partway through(stuff came up) and no longer have my save file. Really can't wait for it...although...I still need to beat XC2...which I also have to start over since I lost my save file for that game too(but it was an unfortunate situation that was out of my hands...lost 50+ hours 😭). So depending on when the game comes out will determine when I start XC2 again(and Torna now that I'm thinking about it...dang... got a lot of Xenoblade going for me for 2020).

DBZ Kakarot: I am rather surprised how much this game has caught my attention. I honestly thought I had lost a lot of interest in Dragon Ball(DBSuper started to make me lose interest), but after seeing a few videos on it and one of the recent trailers for it......I was VERY wrong! Thing that sucks though is that it comes out on January 17...the same day as TMS.  R.I.P my wallet. 😅

Guilty Gear Strive: One of the few fighting games I'm REALLY looking forward too( although UNIST  and KOF 15 have my eye as well since UNIST is just...awesome and I've gotten into KOF thanks to Terry in Smash and Maximillain Dood's Terry Legacy).

I've had my eye on GG for a while, but never got too into it(mostly playtime is with Accent core plus R). New game look AMAZING and I can't wait to play it myself. Crossing my fingers for Crossplay and GOOD NETCODE!

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Cloud in a dress, also known as the FF7 remake!

Also this. This is important. Gonna fill the void with FFIX till it comes out(never played IX, but saw it on sale. Heard it's really good).

50 minutes ago, Busterman64 said:

Also this. This is important. Gonna fill the void with FFIX till it comes out(never played IX, but saw it on sale. Heard it's really good).

Yes.  Yes, it is.

Honestly, most of the FF series has its good points.  If you're a fan of RPGs, you'll find something to cater to your tastes.

(yes, even cross-dressing, the reverse of this is FF5)

Project Diva Mega 39’s/MegaMix:As a Vocaloid fan, I’ve wanted to get into Project Diva, but I haven’t played any yet due to not having any PlayStation consoles besides a PS2. And I didn’t buy the 3DS entries. I just hope it comes out before my birthday.

Mount & Blade II:Bannerlord: I’ve been waiting for this for a while, let’s just hope it doesn’t get delayed again. Too bad I have a potato and can’t actually play it, heh.

Shin Sakura Wars - Loved the original Saturn game and the Wii port of "So Long, My Love".

Panzer Dragoon Remake - Can't wait to play through it. The original sits inside my Saturn to this day.

5 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Mount & Blade II:Bannerlord: I’ve been waiting for this for a while, let’s just hope it doesn’t get delayed again. Too bad I have a potato and can’t actually play it, heh.

We've all been waiting for Bannerlord for what, six years? Eager to play it as well but I'll believe it when I have it. 

6 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Project Diva Mega 39’s/MegaMix:As a Vocaloid fan, I’ve wanted to get into Project Diva, but I haven’t played any yet due to not having any PlayStation consoles besides a PS2. And I didn’t buy the 3DS entries. I just hope it comes out before my birthday.

Oh hey! A fellow Vocaloid fan!

Mirai was good! It had Gumi!

Hmm, its really weird thinking of all the games that will/may come out this year; 3H has taken over most of my gaming life for the past half year, and now that I'm at last winding down with it, I'm finally looking ahead. Its nice to know that the wait for a couple games seems much smaller now because of it. 😄

In particular, I'm excited for Animal Crossing: New Horizon, Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition, Crystal Chronicles Remaster on Switch, but also the FFVII Remake; I have never played the original (grew up in a Nintendo family) but I've wanted to for so long after watching Advent Children when I was younger. Figured this would be the perfect time to jump in. My only issue is a lack of PS4, so I'm debating whether to splurge for one or wait and see if after the goodwill Smash brought with Cloud that it might make it onto to Switch (not likely tho, I admit). Course if I do get a PS4 that means I can play Tales of Arise whenever it comes (I haven't played and enjoyed a Tales game since Xillia, so I'm really hoping this gets me back into the series after being so turned off from playing Xillia 2, Zestiria and Berseria), and all the other games I haven't been able to play like Nier Automata and Kingdom Hearts 3. And as a WoW player, the Shadowlands expansion looks cool, so hopefully that turns out ok. As far as the Breath of the Wild sequel, I'm not expecting a release yet, but some info would be nice!

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to whatever the year brings us......like maybe a certain Echoes FE Remake I have been waiting for..... 😉

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot

Freedom Planet 2

Final Fantasy 7R (Part 1)

Hajimari No Kiseki (Trails of the Beginning)

Langrisser 1+2

Shin Sakura Wars

Trials of Mana remake

Streets of Rage 4

Majorly looking forward to:

• Resident Evil 3
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Trials of Mana
  • Psychonauts 2
  • No More Heroes 3
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Nioh 2

Kinda looking forward to:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Tails of Arise
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Halo Infinite
  • Deadly Premonition 2
  • Gears Tactics
  • Guilty Gear Strive

And then Babylon's Fall, Elden Ring and Granblue Fantasy: Relink, which I'm assuming will be out in 2020.

Edited by Slumber

Invested in:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Doom Eternal
  • Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga 
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Grabbed my attention:

• Persona 5 Royal 
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Hale Life Apex
  • Breath of the Wild 2 
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Destroy All Humans Remake

This year is going to have a toll on my wallet.

• 3 weeks later...

I fear that I won't play half of them.

• Halo Infinite
  • Ori
  • Cyberpunk
  • Yes, your grace
  • Vampire masquerade bloodlines2
  • Babylon's Fall
  • Anew Forza
  • Potential big Nintendo release (BotW2 probably, Metroid Prime 4 hopefully)
On 1/1/2020 at 3:51 AM, Busterman64 said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions (TMS) Remaster: Loved the original, but never got to finish it. Happy it's FINALLY coming to the switch(it's one of the ports I've wanted the most)! I know it it kinda got a bad rep with some folks when it was revealed, but it's a good game(heck...they even fixed some of the issues that some people had with when it was first shown off) and I hope more people give it a shot!

I'd love to, but that censorship is a big no for me 😕

• 3 weeks later...

Games I definitely need this year:

• Crusader Kings 3
  • Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
  • Rune Factory 5
  • Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town remake
  • Nioh 2
  • Silksong
  • Digimon Survive
  • Trails of Cold Steel 3 (PC)

Games I'm curious/interested about:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Ori (I've played just a bit of the first game)
  • VtM Bloodlines 2
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Persona 5 Royal (I could never get into P3 or P4 but maybe P5 or SMTxFE might work out for me, who knows, it seems interesting)
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Ghosts of Tsushima