Most Underrated Video Games That You Have Played?

Roland

7 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Most people in MMBN fanbase generally agree that BN6 is kinda a return to form whose only main flaw is its almost as broken as/maybe even more broken than 2 and 3, but its generally considered on the upper half of the series

What combos are broken in 6? I know there's a ton in 3, I always thought that 3 was far and away the most broken, easily.

7 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Most people in MMBN fanbase generally agree that BN6 is kinda a return to form whose only main flaw is its almost as broken as/maybe even more broken than 2 and 3, but its generally considered on the upper half of the series

im surprised about the specific things you noted as positives though. I'm ok with the new cast but it always feels weird when i played it back then that the series ending games to end all games uses largely new characters.... outside the technically villain side.

Oh. Thanks for letting me know. As I said, I've only played 5 and 6 (Team Colonel and Cybeast Gregar, respectively). I'm curious, how is BN5 considered?

The reason I feel the new cast was a good change was simply that I felt a lot of them were interesting characters. I agree that normally, it would be a bit weird for a last-installment to have an all-new cast. But I think it paid off well here for a few reasons: 

• I don't think there was much left they could do if they kept Lan in his hometown; moving him to the new city helped keep things a bit more fresh and enabled for stuff like the Cybeasts to happen. It would be a bit weird if the Cybeasts were something that existed in Lan's hometown's part of the net, as it would be a case of, "Remember the guy we literally just made up for this game and didn't exist before?" Having it that they were in an entirely different city makes it easier to believe that characters like Lan and Megaman had never heard of them before. 
  • The game did take the time for the player to get to know the new characters, so they seem almost just as developed as the old cast. 
  • The old cast is still in the game and they're still relevant. 

On a more subjective note, I think it resonated with me personally because I had to move a few times as a kid, so I could relate to some of what Lan was going through. 

Also, I was just trying to list things off the top of my head that were positives and that I knew weren't in previous Megaman Battle Network games. I also liked the Cross System; it's a big improvement over the Soul Unison system from BN4 and BN5. I liked the Beast Out mechanic; it had plenty of depth to it and the "3 Turns or Beast Over" mechanic is a far better risk-reward system than the Chaos Unison from BN5, which I frankly never used because of its weird system and because I didn't want to use Dark Chips.

16 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

What combos are broken in 6? I know there's a ton in 3, I always thought that 3 was far and away the most broken, easily.

hmm the most known one is definitely the draw sensor i think? 6 is mostly theres quite a lot of OP chips with stuff like the Trinity, and of course Killerman stacking. Theres some shenanigans with Grass Elementman and obviously Cybeast Full Synch is pretty dumb

Yeah its 3 and 2 thats most broken, with 3 having highest endcap especially with how bullshit Folderback is. It says a lot that 3 manage to make Recycler into a broken chip lol. 2 have the obvious Gater/Snake/Toadman i think?

16 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh. Thanks for letting me know. As I said, I've only played 5 and 6 (Team Colonel and Cybeast Gregar, respectively). I'm curious, how is BN5 considered?

The reason I feel the new cast was a good change was simply that I felt a lot of them were interesting characters. I agree that normally, it would be a bit weird for a last-installment to have an all-new cast. But I think it paid off well here for a few reasons: 

• I don't think there was much left they could do if they kept Lan in his hometown; moving him to the new city helped keep things a bit more fresh and enabled for stuff like the Cybeasts to happen. It would be a bit weird if the Cybeasts were something that existed in Lan's hometown's part of the net, as it would be a case of, "Remember the guy we literally just made up for this game and didn't exist before?" Having it that they were in an entirely different city makes it easier to believe that characters like Lan and Megaman had never heard of them before. 
  • The game did take the time for the player to get to know the new characters, so they seem almost just as developed as the old cast. 
  • The old cast is still in the game and they're still relevant. 

On a more subjective note, I think it resonated with me personally because I had to move a few times as a kid, so I could relate to some of what Lan was going through. 

Also, I was just trying to list things off the top of my head that were positives and that I knew weren't in previous Megaman Battle Network games. I also liked the Cross System; it's a big improvement over the Soul Unison system from BN4 and BN5. I liked the Beast Out mechanic; it had plenty of depth to it and the "3 Turns or Beast Over" mechanic is a far better risk-reward system than the Chaos Unison from BN5, which I frankly never used because of its weird system and because I didn't want to use Dark Chips.

BN5 is considered better than 4 which.... for many reason is a problem game and i'd argue it was the most difficult in the series(largely because 2/3/6 is broken as fuck lol) but its quite hated due to a certain change they made

The 1 specific PA per fight limit to be exact. 2 and 3 is VERY heavy on PA abuse so while it MIGHT be a good move in balance direction its not received well. Also 4 damaged the series lol(something that while MIGHT NOT be true, is supported by sales data if nothing else)

Balance wise BN5 is dominated(particularly in colonel) by the S meta where for some reason S code chips are very high in power level. The strongest shit in 5 is probably Full Synchro Multi hit? where Number ball/Tornado Terrain/Supervulcan can get absolutely absurd.Of course while S is more powerful on low end in Colon, Gyro is a huge advantage for Proto. Number/search is busted and about on par but it lacks offense lol

Liberation mission reception is kinda mixed, some like it, some hated it and most people agree Medi is annoying to use lol - Toad was WAY more straightforward to use than Medi. BN5 version advantage probably is even dumber than what it was in 3(where its more of a tradeoff since White can EASILLY get 3 Area Grab * while Blue get welll... Folder back lol) whereas 6 is more stable since Falzar have stronger cross, but Gregar have.... base Killerman

Its most difficult because chip quality in 4 and 5 are generally lower despite being the game that introduces Vulcans and Hoc. Varsword was much more powerful in 3 and 2 where it was a 3-4 hit row wide standard chip and Navi chips generally gets gutted in 4 and 5. 6 was the game that buffed navi chip again

That said some of the stupidest shit you can do in BN6 Falzar is how after you secure your access to Spoutman you can easilly speedkill Blastman even up to getting max power Blastman. A row wide, Fire elemental 250 damage you can just grass and FS that for 1000 damage nuke lol. This can be pulled off in Gregar but its much more easy with Spout Cross

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Not exactly "underrated" but "hey I actually don't find this game that bad and I enjoy playing it".

Mega Man BattleChip Challenge: I don't mind that there's no direct control over the combat. It's fun setting up combinations and watching the navis dunking at each other. It *does* require some strategic thinking as certain chips are better against different builds, so it's false that you "simply watch the game".

Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories: Very grindy, boils down to "get the right cards for the strongest fusion you can pull", the AI cheats, but I really enjoyed its aesthetic, story, soundtrack and overall the gameplay was fun. I just wish it was less grindy.

Digimon Card Battle Arena: It's a very short game whose enemy AI tends to help you a lot, but the gameplay is interesting and the trading card game is even better if you play against a real opponent. Really, I wish people talked more about Digimon TCG, it deserves more love.

Dark Souls II: Or, at least, Scholar of the First Sin. It's not underrated, to be honest, but it's one of the worst spoken Dark Souls games and often wrongly compared to Dark Souls 1's standards. Honestly, I prefered Dark Souls II because it wasn't full of gimmick stages, unexplained mechanics, locking you to a 4-directional roll if using lock-on, it had a teleport system to avoid needlessly traveling/backtracking, it felt much more fluid. Overall I found it much more intuitive and better at gameplay.

• 1 month later...

I'm worried if this is considered necroposting even though it's on the first page

• Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow: That game was great, and I wish more people talked about it. The soundtrack, the aesthetic, the disney-esque quality of animation, it's just... wonderful!
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelits of the Roses: The game is basically a SRPG, but instead, all your cards are units, which is a great concept! It's a sequel of Forbidden Memories like above post said, but nowhere nearly as grindy... It's even kinda on the easy side with some broken decks you can play with. I am still hopeful for a sequel of that game, maybe with less cards compared to the main TCG, because 3D Modelling over 9000 cards with their own animations and stuff sounds like a painful job to do.

• 4 weeks later...

FFX-2 and its worldbuilding and character arcs are quite underrated in that they are one of the few cases where I actually saw how important characters get, and live, their happy endings. In particular, a lot of Yuna's characteristics actually do make sense when I think about it - here she is, not only still alive when she was given a glorified death sentence in X, but also relieved of her duties with decorated colors. All her life, she lived under the expectations of being a summoner for the church and the people, and only now did Yuna have the chance to live her own life, which she didn't even dream of. The only problem is how, which Yuna has no clue. Hardly any wonder why she decided to start act like a dork - she's desperately trying her best to let her hair down by taking inspiration from her cousin Rikku. Likewise, it is also delightful to see how societies move on form past traumas from the prequel, or in a few cases how such traumas can develop (for example, the Ronsos vs the Guados).

Edited by henrymidfields

Oh well lets see,

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love: a fantastic steam punk fantasy romp thru 1920s New York. The characters, story and flow of the game where just great.

Valkryia Chronicles 2: outside of Azure Rebellion this game gets zero love, everything work really well on it except the fact that it was only on PSP.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection: These ladies did a marvelous job playing the idol game and with the exception of Blanc’s ending(she got screwed) it was brilliant.

Infinite Undiscovery: Easily one of my favorite ARPGs not a lot of people liked it thou.

Trouble Witches Neo: This game... has some of the worst voice acting I’ve ever heard but... I just loved the cornyness of it so much.

Oh and last one(for now) Radiata Stories! I really wish they would do another game like this... this game had so much going for it and was just such a blast to play

Edited by ciphertul
Forgot name of game

5 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Oh well lets see,

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love: a fantastic steam punk fantasy romp thru 1920s New York. The characters, story and flow of the game where just great.

Valkryia Chronicles 2: outside of Azure Rebellion this game gets zero love, everything work really well on it except the fact that it was only on PSP.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection: These ladies did a marvelous job playing the idol game and with the exception of Blanc’s ending(she got screwed) it was brilliant.

Infinite Undiscovery: Easily one of my favorite ARPGs not a lot of people liked it thou.

Trouble Witches Neo: This game... has some of the worst voice acting I’ve ever heard but... I just loved the cornyness of it so much 

So Sakura Wars is actually story focused? I have no experience with the series, and the waifu focused advertising of the new release was not appealing at all. 

(Not that I have anything against dating sim mechanics. I enjoy them. They just need to play a tertiary role to a much greater overall story).

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

So Sakura Wars is actually story focused? I have no experience with the series, and the waifu focused advertising of the new release was not appealing at all. 

(Not that I have anything against dating sim mechanics. I enjoy them. They just need to play a tertiary role to a much greater overall story).

Yes and no, the romantic aspect of it plays into the story but it’s isn’t some harem builder. The relationships between the characters plays a large role in the development of your team

1 minute ago, ciphertul said:

Yes and no, the romantic aspect of it plays into the story but it’s isn’t some harem builder. The relationships between the characters plays a large role in the development of your team

So, like Record of the Agarest War? Or Geneology/Awakening?

Edited by Etheus

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

So, like Record of the Agarest War? Or Geneology/Awakening?

Not quite as forced, like the romantic aspect really doesn’t show up until the second to last chapter. You don’t make kids nor do you play matchmaker, in SLML, you play Shinji(the protag) and you join the New York combat revenue. All 5 teammates you get are women, but the game goes of trust. The more you ladies trust you the better then perform in combat, there is no leveling in it. But the more they get along with the other ladies the better they fight together.

I'll say this first one loud enough for the people in the back:

LITTLE KING'S STORY: omg I just love this game. From the story to the soundtrack of remade classical pieces to the characters and to the wacky, crazy world they live in. The gameplay is a lot like Pikmin, except you're controlling your loyal subjects in your campaign to be King of the Continent. There's a lot to do and I always find myself coming back to it.

Radiata Stories: A game ahead of its time. Periodt.

The entire Rune Factory Series: yes, the entire series is a gem. The first few games are rough around the edges, but this is a series where you see noticeable improvement every title. They just released a special edition of Rune Factory 4 for the switch and I'm planning to get it once I get my birthday money. 

Lastly, I don't like saying games from big name IPs, but

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: I don't know why, this game just gets me every time. The best FF OST feel free to @ me I won't back down.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Dragon Age 2: Its painfully rushed but it does have some good in it. It was actually somewhat refreshing to play someone with no higher ambition than just being a productive member of his city and who had a party who's lives didn't entirely revolve around his quest.

I wasn't even planning to post on this thread, but there's no way I can go past without singing my own praises about DA2.  I actually prefer the gameplay in 2 and it has my favorite Bioware cast outside of Inquisition. Hawke is def their best protag. The reused maps were annoying, but the game did so many things well that I can't even stay mad at the map designs.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:33 AM, lightcosmo said:

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I know people say they butchered the combat from KH2, but I actually really enjoy it. I think the Style changes flow pretty nicely, and the combos aren't awful in my opinion (i'm looking at you, KH3) of course, i'm pretty biased on this end, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as people say. Besides the Mysterious Figure... that, is awful.

I also cannot ignore the game of my favorite children. Even after 3DD and KH3, BBS is my favorite Kingdom Hearts. The command deck, imo, is the best combat KH has had and giving us characters that have such different fighting styles from Sora was so smart. The command board mini-game was also really fun and actually gave you in-game rewards for playing it besides a trophy a la KH3 and the Gummiphone. Also, no Gummi Ship, which was a godsend to me. 

On 3/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, ciphertul said:

Speaking of which, Valkyria Chronicles 4. It gets a lot of love from almost everyone who's seen it and played it, but very few people have done so; VC4 has not sold well at all. 

39 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I also cannot ignore the game of my favorite children. Even after 3DD and KH3, BBS is my favorite Kingdom Hearts. The command deck, imo, is the best combat KH has had and giving us characters that have such different fighting styles from Sora was so smart. The command board mini-game was also really fun and actually gave you in-game rewards for playing it besides a trophy a la KH3 and the Gummiphone. Also, no Gummi Ship, which was a godsend to me. 

I also love playing the command board!