Tips you could give new FE4 players on thier first playthrough

Crygen

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Do NOT forget to have Lewyn visit Silesia Castle after seizing it. He'll get the Forseti tome.

Holy shit, thanks for this information, i would have completely missed that if it werent for you.

Use the multiple save files. Use one to save at the beginning of every chapter, another to save at every seize point, and another to autosave at the start of every turn. There are a couple of instances that can lead to unwinnable situations if you mess up, so it's not a bad idea to have backup saves.

Depending on what pairings you are making, don't be afraid to kill certain enemies that drop weapons with fathers that wouldn't normally pass on that weapon type so they can obtain a nice weapon to pass down. For example, on my first playthrough I did Finn/Lachesis; Finn normally would not be able to pass down any weapons (lances) to his son Delmud, only swords, which Finn doesn't use. So I happened to kill Chagall with Finn and got the Silver Blade with him, holding onto it until he could pass it down to Delmud. I did something similar with Midir, passing a dropped sword onto Patty when I did Midir/Brigid.

After every castle you conquer, check if any new Talk options are available. They can be seen in the unit's status menu.

2 Leadership Stars give +10 avoid and hit for all allies in a 3 tile radius. Each additional star gives an additional 10%. Having only 1 star gives no boost at all.

Enemy leaders may actually decide to retreat to their home castle to get reinforcements, should the battle go poorly for them. So that's something to watch out for, especially with Cavalry leaders who might be hard to catch.

In the second generation, capturing one specific castle and having her talk to Seliph will get Julia Nosferatu, which is better than Aura. I don't know which one it is though...

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2020 at 12:20 AM, Shadow Mir said:

In the second generation, capturing one specific castle and having her talk to Seliph will get Julia Nosferatu, which is better than Aura. I don't know which one it is though...

Isaach castle, to the south. It's not hugely important IMO, Julia can use staves just as well either way. But I guess it helps in the Arena.

Not sure if you've noticed, but effective damage (i.e. bows against fliers) is an insta-crit in this game. And the crit formula is "Attack x2 - Defense/Res", rather than the usual "Attack - Defense/Res" x3. The Nihil skill (Alec, Ayra, Dierdre, and kids) prevents effective damage crits.