Would you use this underachieving thing? (FE TH) Round 23: Recovery Roar

Would you use this weird thing?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1: Holy Knight?

• Yeah, I can imagine a scenario where I make a Holy Knight.
    • No, I can't see an application or justification for Holy Knight over other classes
  2. 2. Round 2: Battalion Renewal?

• Yeah, I think I could see myself using this.
    • No, I wouldn't waste an ability slot on this source of healing.

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If anything the Golden Deer crew would appreciate it most due to lacking a Restore user.

Flayn is always around after Chapter 6 unless you're going CE later. D+ Faith start and C Restore means you'll get.

Use the Battalion? Of course, flight bats are rare. Have I ever used the Recovery Roar Gambit? Nope, Restore itself is very rarely useful here, despite generous uses and AoE.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very hard to rank this poorly because it's essentially free. It's on a good battalion and you can use it if you need it, but doesn't cost you anything if you don't. It would be like saying having a healer is bad because what happens if you don't get hit? This is an obvious yes.

Would I use the battalion? Yes. Can I imagine a circumstance where, having taken the battalion, I would want to use the gambit? Yes. Would I ever choose to take the battalion over a different one with comparable stats but a different gambit? No. Definitely not.

I have only used restore once or twice, and never have all that many flying units (usually one, maybe two). I believe we get a flying battalion from Seteth's paralouge? It's a no from me, I could see it being useful on a maddening run, but not more useful than something that stops my opponent from moving.

My all-pegasus playthrough will be Black Eagles anyways.

The battalion it comes with? Absolutely. The gambit itself? ...Probably not unless I was either not using Mercedes (which will never be the case) or was using her in a non-magic class (and even then, there's still Flayn).

As others have mentioned, the batallion it comes with is pretty alright - mediocre stat boosts, but hey, it flies. Recovery Roar will cover less area than the Restore spell, but assuming it's going on a flier, it can be cast from a wider variety of locations than, say, Bishop Mercedes. Plus, if somebody gets hit by a gambit, you probably want to Restore *and* Heal them - so combine Recovery Roar on your flier with Physic or Fortify from Mercedes, or whoever your healer is.

It's not a great gambit, and I haven't used it myself, but I feel fairly confident saying yes to Recovery Roar. If we wanna talk Batallions that underperform, though, I'll gladly nominate Empire/Kingdom/Alliance Youths. They're all statistically the same, and IIRC they come from pre-skip Aux battle quests.

Belated reply on the Lord conversation: Optimizing Claude for the Sword of Begalta is a funny thing to do in replays, but I can't say it's ever likely to make sense.  It doesn't even come with a cool Combat Art.  Barbarossa is the best class in the game, so giving that up to go Assassin or the like is the wrong call from a power perspective.  (Although if you do, sure, Lord Claude can work on the way to Assassin.)  If you stay in Barbarossa, then skill slots are precious; not clear if there's room for Sword Prowess, you're giving up something like Hit +20 or Strength +2 that will work for any weapon.  If you absolutely need a range-1 option, Mini Bow should work fine; if you want some healing, Concoctions or a Goddess Ring are that way.

Also, as some random catch-up, here's my own personal ranking for the earlier topics of discussion in this thread:

Genuinely good
Bolt Axe
Weight -3, Faith Prowess, Seal Speed

Okay-but-outclassed
Holy Knight (it's fine, just Dark Knight or Bishop is usually better)
Longbow (it's fine, just Curved Shot / Hunter's Volley Silver Bow is usually better)

Niche use
Defensive Tactics, Seal Defense / Seal Magic, Poison Strike
Lord

Theoretically useful, but so expensive to learn/acquire that why bother
Weight -5 (would be totally great in NG+!)
Venin Weapons

Not useful, but harmless and easy to learn/acquire
Battalion Renewal, Desperation, Miracle, Seal Strength
Armored Lord / Emperor, Swordmaster, Hero
Absorption, Recovery Roar

Not useful, and either difficult to acquire or expensive to set
Great Knight (w.  t.  f.  at the skill requirements to certify in this class.)
Lifetaker, Pavise, Seal Resistance
Talisman Shield / Hexlock Shield
Wild Abandon (Combat Art slots are precious, there's no room for a worthless one that could be a movement CA at worst.)

• 2 weeks later...

Recovery roar is pretty useless as there are very rare chances of units even being inflicted with debuffs by the time you obtain this battalion. I guess canto restore is good but you could go dark knight if you want that on Mercedes and with better range. I'm assuming it's the Kingdom wyvern battalion. Blue Lions route has access to only 2 good flying battalions(Galatea and Cichol) while the other routes get 4-5 good ones. Kingdom wyvern is not one one of the good ones sadly. 15 hit and 5 attack is pretty decent but it doesn't compare to the other flying battalions like black eagles pegasus or immortal corps. My maddening BL run had 4 fliers Ingrid, Seteth, Annette, and Sylvain. Sylvain sadly got the short straw as Seteth can just easily reach A rank authority and use the cichol and don't worry about training more authority after that. Ingrid's personal would go to waste if I used the kingdom wyvern. Annette is using lightning axe so why even bother for physical attack.  

Also the new magic flier battalion looks pretty sweet for the stats it gives and it comes with a resonant lightning which is fantastic a must have for wyvern Annette. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...