Would you use this underachieving thing? (FE TH) Round 23: Recovery Roar

Would you use this weird thing?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1: Holy Knight?

• Yeah, I can imagine a scenario where I make a Holy Knight.
    • No, I can't see an application or justification for Holy Knight over other classes
  2. 2. Round 2: Battalion Renewal?

• Yeah, I think I could see myself using this.
    • No, I wouldn't waste an ability slot on this source of healing.

I would say yes to the Longbow; it does allow for extra range for linked attacks, and it gives 3 range to non-archers.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:41 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's not a weapon, but if we're talking equippables, might I nominate theĀ Talisman Shield?

I've never even heard of this.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would say yes to the Longbow; it does allow for extra range for linked attacks, and it gives 3 range to non-archers.

I've never even heard of this.

It's basically a weaker version of the Hexlock Shield. +1 Prt, +3 Rsl, 4 Wt. You can get one from Dedue's paralogue. I'm also almost positive it's purchasable, at least in limited quantities.

15 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

A shield that gives res but is a bit too heavy. I don't think it's worth because the people that want it are going to be doubled by mages. Also, You get a better res shield in Felix paralague.

Which is also heavy.

Felix can probably handle it just fine, just need to unequip it when facing faster enemies.

34 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's basically a weaker version of the Hexlock Shield. +1 Prt, +3 Rsl, 4 Wt. You can get one from Dedue's paralogue. I'm also almost positive it's purchasable, at least in limited quantities.

Well, that explains it.

32 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

A shield that gives res but is a bit too heavy. I don't think it's worth because the people that want it are going to be doubled by mages. Also, You get a better res shield in Felix paralague.

Which is not only heavy, but also damages anyone who doesn't have a Crest.

Yes,Ā that's a problem because shieldsare appreciated by those that have super low speed anyway, wich often are crestless. Still, if you are not damaged by it you want the strongest shield aviable or no shield at all. There is some fringe cases for light shields(say, you have 30 str and weapons that weight 5 or less) but talisman is not light enought, so Aegis or Hexlock are better 99% of the times,Aviability aside.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Which is not only heavy, but also damages anyone who doesn't have a Crest.

Aegis Shield might be worth discussing in its own right. It's way better on NG+, where you can use Crest Stones to let gonna-get-doubled-anyway units, like Gilbert, Dedue, Raphael, and Alois use it for reliable extra bulk. The only Crested units I see fitting this mould are certain (sub-optimal) builds of Edelgard, Ferdinand, and Hilda. And I know "Felix can unequip it", but how good can we call an item that's gonna be unequipped like half the time?

Are we still on longbows?

I had units with a longbow equipped but I never used it. I used bow knights and 4 range 8 movement is plenty for what you want to do. Longbow is way too heavy for my liking I think that's the core problem. I can have units double and easily kill mages with just bow knights then still have movement to kite back away from danger. The hit rate penalty and the mediocre hit rate of long bow doesn't help either. A steel bow does the same damage but it considerably more accurate and easier to forge. Forged iron bow is just busted. If you are doing golden deer, you would use failnaught instead.

Ā 

Shields are weird. I would say not getting doubled is way more beneficial to make yourself tankier than more raw defense. Dedue is really good early but I found to him to be really lackluster by the time chapter 9-10 is rolling around. He's just too slow and on maddening enemies do a metric ton of damage reaching values in the 50s by the time he joins back.Ā By that point I have plenty of units capable of doubling or dodge tanking. TH is a very player phase heavy game and enemy phase tanking is flyer dodge tanks or wrath vantage builds.Ā 

1 hour ago, PPPPPPP270 said:

I had units with a longbow equipped but I never used it. I used bow knights and 4 range 8 movement is plenty for what you want to do. Longbow is way too heavy for my liking I think that's the core problem. I can have units double and easily kill mages with just bow knights then still have movement to kite back away from danger. The hit rate penalty and the mediocre hit rate of long bow doesn't help either. A steel bow does the same damage but it considerably more accurate and easier to forge. Forged iron bow is just busted. If you are doing golden deer, you would use failnaught instead.

Sure, but Bow Knight is a master class and thus won't be relevant for a long time, and Failnaught is a relic weapon, and thus limited in who can use it due to crestless units taking damage.

I've been hearing folks say they put bows and curved shot on their non archers all the time. Personally I wouldn't outside of Cyril and Leonie, but that's your three range attacks right there. There are also 16 curved shots with a steel bow compared to 20 shots of a longbow, and the steel bow just needs smithing stones to repair.Ā 

I'm kinda curious in general how often people even use shields. I can think of one that's a "gotta have it" tier, the Aurora shield. Zero weight and three protection with flier weakness negation. Fliers already don't have to worry much about archers due to the freedom of dismounting, but this lets them use their canto movement while still in a ballistae range. So nice for the Enbarr and Throne Room maps. You can get two Aurora shields in non CF routes. The first has to be stolen inĀ chapter 16, the next is in a chest in the following chapter. The equivalent shields that nullify horse and armor effectiveness aren't particularly useful for that quality, but the three protection alone stands up to plenty of rings just by being weightless.

Hexlock/Talisman shield together might be an interesting round, I just need to remember where you get hexlock shields. I know for sure you can get one during Marianne's paralogue and buy one from Anna for 3K Gold, but there's a third sitting in my convoy, I don't remember where I got it.Ā They serve the same purpose, but personally I got way more mileage out ofĀ the generic physical shields. There's just so few magical attackers, but the game loves throwing extremely fast swordies at any stage of the game. And as for early game, your early game tanks on maddening are just whoever can avoid a double. Since your healing is just 12HP per spell charge and you're chugging 10HP vulneraries, it takes a lot of time and resources to get somebody back up to speed when they get knocked to low health. Dedue might be a different story, but I can't think of anybody else content with taking that much heat.Ā My "tanks" were Byleth, Edelgard, and Petra when they had swords equipped.

8 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Hexlock/Talisman shield together might be an interesting round, I just need to remember where you get hexlock shields. I know for sure you can get one during Marianne's paralogue and buy one from Anna for 3K Gold, but there's a third sitting in my convoy, I don't remember where I got it.

There's one early in CF. I wanna say Judith drops it but I can't remember for sure. CF will be my next run after the DLC (wanna get all Constance's supports first, and she needs El and Jeritza), so if no one confirms by the time I get there, I'll check.

29 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Hexlock/Talisman shield together might be an interesting round, I just need to remember where you get hexlock shields. I know for sure you can get one during Marianne's paralogue and buy one from Anna for 3K Gold, but there's a third sitting in my convoy, I don't remember where I got it.Ā 

I remember one from Hilda's paralogue (probably requires all the Goneril soldiers to survive) and one you get off an enemy in chapter 13 on non-CF routes.

Personally i think def stacking is a viable tactic that is not used simply because it require bad classes while avoid stacking is better and require good classes:

Using Raphael because he is always aviable: 7(base)+ 16(unmodified growth for 35Ā levels)+ 8(great knight base)Ā Ā +6(Ochain shield)+ 7Ā (aĀ prot battalion, there are better ones on some routes)+ 2 (defense +2). This is 46 defense, most endgame enemies have below 60 might so he can easily tank a couple of them even if they double, and there are some ways to push his def even higher.

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I honestly did not know longbows existed in Three Houses, and I'm almost done my first playthrough (Crimson Flower). Where can I find one?

On 2/11/2020 at 3:42 AM, Glennstavos said:

You get a Longbow for free from Sylvain's paralogue. Otherwise it must be forged from a steel bow using 6 wootz steel, a very precious resource since it is also used for brave weapons and only drops from monsters.

Round 18 is the Hero class. Here is the strawpoll link, and here are some notes:

• The Hero class "requires" B rank in swords and C in axes, and is a male-exclusive class.
  • The Hero's class skills are Swordfaire and Vantage. Its class mastery is Defiant Strength.
    • Vantage is interesting, as it opens up possibilities for players to craft an enemy phase buildĀ in the mid game without having to master Mercenary first. Not having to spend an ability slot on vantage also leaves room for other luxury abilities.
  • Like the Swordmaster, the Hero faces stiff competition from the Assassin due to that class's higher movement and no movement costs from crossing various terrain

Also, in my personalĀ experience, I've found Hero easy to certify into for Byleth and Felix especially. Often when my roster gets to level 20, several characters have no certification options due to their ranks not reaching B in anything, but Byleth and Felix always have sword ranks at base and axe ranks from going for Death Blow. So even if I'm aiming to make them war masters, this class allows them to keep honing their axe rank while playing around with Vantage for a few maps.

I voted no. About the only good thing that can be said about it is that it is easier to certify for than the Swordmaster class. Being male exclusive doesnā€™t help matters.

Edited by Shadow Mir

No. I'd rather just raise the sword skill to B+ and and the go Swordsmaster or if I'm gonna raise a secondary weapon skill I'd do the infinitely better bows and go Assassin.

Also, I never got around to the previous one but I say yes to Longbows for Claude and any other character that uses bow but isn't in a class that gives extra range (for example a Pegasus Shamir or Warmaster Cyril since they already had a good starting rank with bows to begin with)

I've used it for Felix when I recruited him a bit too late and planned on putting him into War Master down the line and he didn't have enough axe levels to be put into Warrior yet. It was a useful transition class at the time.