Your Vision for SMTxFE

Ok, so, I've actually given this topic a lot of thought, but surely all of us had an idea of what would come by combining MegaTen and Emblem when it was first announced. I'm really eager to see what everyone else dreamed up. So, I'm creating this thread as a place for us to kinda detail what we envisioned for this collaboration. As a massive fan of both franchises, I was full of so much giddy during that early January 2013 Direct (announcing both SMGxFE and Xenoblade X AND Wind Waker HD, it is probably in the top three for my favorite Directs.) But they gave us so little to work with, and they gave us a long time to craft our own games in our head. Allow me to tell you about what I had in mind.

Firstly, I had always wanted it to be a tactical RPG, as it is one of my favorite genres, and there were even a few MegaTen titles that used it. For me, this would have undoubtedly been the direction I'd have wanted it to go. However, a concept that both series shared was the importance of relationships and dialogue. Ultimately, I made a similar move to Atlus and focused on more of a Persona x FE than anything else. I wanted to create a true marriage of these concepts, that would not just combine them, but give us something new.

I wanted the characters in use to be Fire Emblem. However, while their personalities would be in tact, I did not envision the typical crossover story of time space plot devices, but rather a world unique to these versions, where they all coexisted. This allows for a completely fleshed out narrative that doesn't have it waste time, or heaven forbid, focus on tell you why and how these characters are meeting up. I have always hated that kind of storytelling. It is lazy and poor.

Each character would have a base persona. Personas function as classes almost. All of the skills you learn, including the weapons available for use, will be tied to the persona. You would have so many slots to fill them up with different active and passive skills, as well as item and stat bonuses. But I wanted to combine the idea of personas and the Support function more, as essentially they were the same. Build up the bond between two units to unlock new abilities. So, while the first persona of each character would be whatever, and host no personality of its own, depending on who you Supported with you'd get some invisible points towards it's evolution. Say, they have three different results, and the first one to reach 5 points will determined which one your persona evolves into, like of like maxing out a Social Link. This would effectively be Class Changing as well.

Upon evolution, you would obviously get more slots to fill, as well as better skills to be learned. This persona would also better incorporate SMT characters, as I'd have each persona be one from a corresponding character, and it would also have that character's personality, as I would want the persona's to play a much bigger role not in just dialogue, but plot as a whole. This would give a lot of different flavor to each possible combination, and would also affect the way the Supports unfolded from this point. Say, for example, one of the personas Hector can get is Konohana Sakuya (or even Sumeo-Okami) who would have the personality of Yukiko. If this were the route he went, his supports fro that point would then function with a better understanding of timidness and responsibility, something Hector does not naturally excel at. It would add unique growth to each character, as well as show giving each possible combination it's own potential, increasing replayabilitiy.

The skills would also combine the strength of both characters. This would turn Hector into a well rounded unit in terms of offenses and granting him some minor healing effect (maybe even just locked to something like Renewal) as well as the element of fire. I don't know how this all sounds to you, but to this day I love this conceptually. But that isn't all. Personas, as we know, have a host od weaknesses. If a personas weakness is hit, they will become deactivated through your or foe's next turn. Because all of your skills and benefits are locked to your persona, you certainly wouldn't want their weaknesses hit, and you would be foolish not to capitalize on it during your turn.

Another fun aspect I thought up was how personas would have their own HP pool. I hadn't thought about if it would serve as a different target, or if it would only deplete when hit with weaknesses. There are a lot of ways to tackle that idea. If a persona were ko, that character would pretty much turn into dead weight. However, killing off an opponents persona before killing the actual unit who be really beneficial, as the character who lands the ko can then choose one ability from that persona to inherit. This allows for some great customization options for any character, assuming they can safely get the kill.

So, yeah, that's all I had ever really detailed out. Not the plot, or the characters, or anything else, really. And while this was something I fantasied about many years ago, looking back on the idea, I still really like it and would have loved for this to have been the project instead of TMS. Not that I'm not a fan of TMS, I enjoyed the game well enough, but it was certainly a far cry from what I believed it could have, and should have, been.

So, won't you all share what you all wish had come from this collaboration, or maybe critique my own suggestion?

. . .I honestly can't tell if you're trying to fan the flames from oh-so-long ago with this.  Or if you really don't remember how much of a shitstorm the original TMS reveal was.  Those old posts reside on SF, if you wish to do further research.

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

. . .I honestly can't tell if you're trying to fan the flames from oh-so-long ago with this.  Or if you really don't remember how much of a shitstorm the original TMS reveal was.  Those old posts reside on SF, if you wish to do further research.

I literally gave zero fuck about the forums back then, I can assure you. I have no interest in seeing people cry about it, but if they'd like to talk about how they saw things coming together, well that'd be swell!

Yeah, that's grounds for closing this topic for now.

TC, read the old topics, from the reveal up to release, then summarize your thoughts to me via PM.  Depending on your views, I may re-open this.