Jump to content
FE4_Best_FE

FE 4 remake ideas

Recommended Posts

I just finished my first playthrough of Genealogy, and oh boy this game sure needs a remake. Which we may get for the thirty years of the franchise and the large amount of references to that game in Three Houses (the city of Derdriu, Deirdre) (Tailtean plains, Tailtiu). I was thinking about a lot of possible ideas for a potential remake of this game and I'd like to share them with you listen to your feedback and hear your own ideas about this awesome game released 23 years ago. Disclaimer: I am trying to be innovative with my ideas as I see no purpose in just remaking FE 4 with QoL improvements. I am also aware of the fact that most of those ideas are very tinfoil and won't probably happen this is just an idea to make persons think.

Idea n1: Battalions

I personally think that implementing something similar to 3H's battalions would be a great idea that would really help reinforcing fe4's theme of nations fighting wars on a continental scale. With battalions associated to units really helping this overall feel of the game. I would, however make those battalions much more closely tied to the units' power than just simple buffs like they do in 3h. Simply put: non holy weapon wielders' strength is directly tied to their battalions and the animation would reflect it and be more similar to the gambits in 3h with the unit charging first.

Idea n2: Siege maps

Simply put: when your lord seizes a fortress instead of an automatic capture and death of every associated unit. A new inside map launches that will play much more like a traditional Fire Emblem with a smaller inside rout type map with chests. In those maps cavalry would have to dismount making it easier for strong foot units like Ayra or Holyn to pull their weights. This would serve to make infantry units stronger and more reliable as well as adding additional maps without harming the overall epic feel of the humongous maps.

Idea n3: a single character per parent

Ok, hear me out for this one. Currently every mother in fe4 has 2 associated kids some who lean towards different classes that others. I believe that it would be a better idea to make it so that every parent has one kid unit sharing it's class and gear. This is a small cosmetic change but the other kid would inherit their non determinant parents' hair color. here is a small chart for what kid would go to which father (every mother keeps their daughter except Bridget who keeps Faval)

Ulster:Holyn Beowolf:Dermott Midir:Lester Azel:Arthur Dew:Patty Lewyn:Sety and Claud:Coirpre. I would also include new children for the missing fathers as fe4's cast is rather on the small side.

Final Idea: a third generation

This is the most tinfoil idea.

What else could a remake do to a classic like Fe4 than by adding a third generation for it to become even closer to being a true tale of a war waged across generations. This generation's plot may include the appearance of twelve dark crusaders blessed by Loptyr's strength trying to end Naga's reign of light and feature the ability to use all twelve holy weapons to finally kill the god of darkness. This generation would follow the story of Seliph's daughter (or son I don't care) as she tries to avenge her father who was killed by the villains with interaction between third generation characters and their parents and possible grandparents (Bridget, Raquesis).

Please tell me your opinion about those ideas and give me your own.

Thank you for reading to the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you please use a more visible font color? I can barely make out your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the siege idea as i love siege maps in general. i am also really hoping for a FE4 remake as i love the Judgral series a lot. I feel like the 3rd generations is really pushing it. maybe like a DLC later on? I'm personally fine with the current marriage setups of FE4 and wouldn't really change much. i agree with the battalions as it would make a lot of sense but i dont like the mechanic personally. One thing i hope they change is the barter system, hope we just get shops and one collective cash pool rather then each unit having seperate cash, this also includes adding a storage box system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Idea n3: a single character per parent

I'm gonna say no, since that means characters can't be written as siblings anymore (at least, not nearly as easily). I prefer keeping the Sword Twins... well, twins. Plus, you'd have to craft a bunch of new kids... AND their subs. I would be game for sons (plus Patty) getting their hair color from Dad, though.

1 hour ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Idea n2: Siege maps

I've heard this idea before, and I kind of like it... but I'm worried it would make these notoriously long chapters even longer. Maybe if they're well-designed, they could provide a worthwhile break from the outdoors (and mounted dominance). Some enemies (like the Deadlords) could even be moved indoors.

1 hour ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Idea n1: Battalions

I like batallions, but IMO in FE4, the units are the Batallion. Like, when you fight a "Commander" Duke Knight with an authority star, the Lance Knights who move with him are his batallion. What I would do, is something I've gotten to calling "Gambit Arts" - basically it's an attack or support move, that a unit can conduct based on Authority (and ally positioning), at the cost of HP or weapon durability. So that enemy Duke Knight can launch a "Line of Lances" attack with neighboring lance-users, that does AoE damage. Each class and character could get their own, and launching or participating in them would give you more Leadership stars. Some skill-based procs (Astra, Sol, Luna) could be worked into this system, too. Just an out-there idea I had.

1 hour ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Final Idea: a third generation

Not really into this, FE4 has an all-around great story, with Seliph effectively wrapping up things from his father's demise. I hate the trend of unprompted sequels in Fire Emblem (really, it's 3 years later and Marth has to fight the same goddamn people he just killed again?), and don't see this proposal as adding a ton. The one thing I could acquiesce to is one-off "trial maps" starring a third generation - say, Faval's kids and Patty's kids (with whoever IDK) going to Orgahill together and fighting pirates. But it sounds like too much work to happen.

What else would I change? Well, I'd move the Arena, Repairing weapons, the pawn shop, and several conversations to in-between chapters, rather than during them. Give some context to the "down time" that happens, while making the actual battles feel like they're pressing you for time. I would also add reclassing (in a limited form, possibly like Fates', and if it's NG+ exclusive that's dine). I'd also alter the Forging system with "Forge gems", that allow you to impart skills or effective damage to certain weapons (ex. Add Equinium to an Iron Sword, and suddenly it deals effective damage against cavalry). Finally, Cavalry/Fliers get Canto as an explicit skill, Armors get Wary Fighter, and all other Infantry get Pursuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The single child per parent is a good idea... for the next game whit generations.  Like, how can the backstories of children make sense if they can be so random? Why Ayra's first daughter and Tinny son are in the first map togheter, while ayra other daughter was a thief in an orphanage whit Briggit's son?

As for a third generation, that is fanfiction. There is not going to be a third a generation if Seliph got defeated because 1) Loptyr will be fully revived and 2) children will be sacrified to him en masse. The only way to have a third generation is to pull a Chrono Trigger like Awakening did. Wich is something no one wants.

 

Battalions may work depending on how are implemented, same thing whit siege maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Idea n3: a single character per parent

No.

5 hours ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Final Idea: a third generation

If there were to be a third "generation", I'd hope it'd just be the supposed third gen that was gonna be in the original game: Azelle and Tailtiu being resurrected/reunited, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Final Idea: a third generation

I didn't want to quote the paragraph regarding the third generation to save time, but your description of it sound a lot like the second generation but with Julius and Manfroy being replaced by more deadlords, which could make the game tedious. If they did have a third generation it'd either require large changes/ things left incomplete from the first two generations to keep it from seeming like they added it for the sake of adding it. Alternatively, they could build Thracia 776 into the actual game. I know that it's unpopular to want thracia/GotHW in the same game, but it could be done. I mean, if they remake genealogy, they'll have to remake thracia too, unless it really bombs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice effort, but it's the wrong subforum.  It's a lot better than most topics that I have to shove around, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like these ideas, though I'm sure they'll add them in anyway. I just want the remake to have an option that makes it exactly like the original, with just better graphics and faster pacing. But leave all it's quirks like it is or else it doesn't really feel like four anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add actual support conversations. It gives more characterization and has no drawbacks. Not only that, it would be easier to see how far a character is with another and make seeing who is with who just a lot easier I'm also going to go a step further:  I want them to include S-supports. Make it so you can initiate them yourself and decide a lot easier who is pairing with who, and of course make the sub characters if a female character has no S-support. Furthermore, this  way, you could go out of your way to see all the supports on a single playthrough without having to worry about a female falling for a different guy.

And remove the useless and annoying jealousy system please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of a third generation, we should have a Zeroth generation following Byron and discovering what went down over in Isaach. Reclassing would also be nice (and at this point quite expected). Genealogy's reduced cast basically means we only have one of any playable class at any given time. It still has diversity in its units due to ugenics, but diversity in class would be nice too. If only because I want to play as Barbarian Jamke and Swordmaster Brigid.

13 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Can you please use a more visible font color? I can barely make out your post.

Echoing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP, I'd have to echo using an easier to see font color - I had to swap to Night Forest just to render your post readable. Anyway...

17 hours ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Idea n3: a single character per parent

No. Leave that for another game with kids. Otherwise you'd have to invent a bunch of other characters for the second generation.

17 hours ago, FE4_Best_FE said:

Final Idea: a third generation

Nope. As stated earlier, if Seliph was defeated, Loptyr would be fully revived, with a LOT of children being sacrificed. And I'd feel like unless it was done REALLY well, it'd have been added just for the sake of adding it, which is no good.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Alternatively, they could build Thracia 776 into the actual game. I know that it's unpopular to want thracia/GotHW in the same game, but it could be done. I mean, if they remake genealogy, they'll have to remake thracia too, unless it really bombs.

The issue I have here is that we're talking about two completely different games with gameplay that's night and day.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe me, there are plenty of ideas that I would love to see implemented into an FE4 remake. Many of them have already been discussed by the previous members, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Story: FE4 has, in my opinion, one of the best stories in the entire series. With so many characters with complex and deep backgrounds and profiles, being able to expand each of those characters' stories with more dialogue and support conversations would be wonderful. Also, create more opportunities for the player to learn about the 12 Crusaders. I loved learning about the descendants of the Crusaders, but I think it would cool to have some more background on the original wielders of those OP weapons we got to use in-game.

Music: This is obvious, of course. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia received a wonderful remake of the original Yuka Tsujiyoko score. Do the same for the FE4 remake. I want to hear all of my favorites in a new orchestrated version.

Gameplay: I loved all of the gameplay ideas already discussed, so I really don't have too much to say in this regard. I especially love the idea of keeping the original sizes of the maps, but creating special seize maps when the player attempts to seize the castles held by enemy bosses. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776's Tahra Map is a perfect example of this. Just make the PLAYER the one trying to seize, and you have a great new spin on the original idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FE_McFly said:

Believe me, there are plenty of ideas that I would love to see implemented into an FE4 remake. Many of them have already been discussed by the previous members, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Story: FE4 has, in my opinion, one of the best stories in the entire series. With so many characters with complex and deep backgrounds and profiles, being able to expand each of those characters' stories with more dialogue and support conversations would be wonderful. Also, create more opportunities for the player to learn about the 12 Crusaders. I loved learning about the descendants of the Crusaders, but I think it would cool to have some more background on the original wielders of those OP weapons we got to use in-game.

Music: This is obvious, of course. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia received a wonderful remake of the original Yuka Tsujiyoko score. Do the same for the FE4 remake. I want to hear all of my favorites in a new orchestrated version.

Gameplay: I loved all of the gameplay ideas already discussed, so I really don't have too much to say in this regard. I especially love the idea of keeping the original sizes of the maps, but creating special seize maps when the player attempts to seize the castles held by enemy bosses. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776's Tahra Map is a perfect example of this. Just make the PLAYER the one trying to seize, and you have a great new spin on the original idea.

I agree with all of this. Couldn't have said it better myself! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

I agree with all of this. Couldn't have said it better myself! 

Thanks for the nice feedback! I really appreciate it!

Of course on the biggest things that I, personally, would love to see in the FE4 remake that I didn't mention (due to the massive fan splits in opinion and my desire to not start a huge sub-discussion) is the possibility of including an FE5 remake in the game as well. I can understand fans' disapproval of the concept of including both games in one, but I find the positives to outweigh the negatives.

For starters, as much as I love the story of the Jugdral Saga, it is very complex and deep. So much so that it required two games to fully grasp the situation going down in the Thracian Peninsula, just to give an example. Thus, to combine both remakes into one gives the player the chance to experience both sides of the story without waiting for an individual release of an FE5 remake.  

Secondly, I believe that it would be a perfect opportunity for Intelligent Systems to help newer players truly understand what the Jugdral Saga is all about. What better way to promote one of the most interesting and gripping stories in the Fire Emblem than by giving the ENTIRE saga to fans on one Switch (or 3DS) cartridge? I just think that it would be to Intelligent Systems best interests to take their worst selling entry in the entire series and stick it with an eventual FE4 remake as extra, or even post-game, content. That way, fans would be able to experience the entire Jugdral Saga without having to buy an FE5 remake separately, get frustrated by its difficulty and differences from FE4, and ask, "Why didn't they just combine this with the FE4 remake?"    

Edited by FE_McFly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I'd love is when you beat the game, you unlock a unit editor or randomizer. Say you want to torture yourself and make all your units Armor Knights, well now you can. Another unlock I think would be nice is to start the second generation immediately and use the substitute characters only or choose which ones you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, StriderSean said:

One thing I'd love is when you beat the game, you unlock a unit editor or randomizer. Say you want to torture yourself and make all your units Armor Knights, well now you can. Another unlock I think would be nice is to start the second generation immediately and use the substitute characters only or choose which ones you want.

I absolutely love that idea of being able to start from the Second Generation after beating the game!! I am the player who personally prefers to marry the First Generation characters, but I definitely am interested in using the substitute characters! I think being able to immediately access the Second Generation would a great chance to experience both sets of characters without having to redo the first half of the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting Thracia into the game would be cool, but that seems extremely difficult. Given the gameplay is so vastly different. Though there's a possibility a FE4 remake may go to traditional Emblem. I'd be okay with that, but if they stick with what they got they need more breaks or rests in between. I like the concept of FE4, but I also hate it because it's not traditional Emblem. I think though that I love Leif so much that I'd prefer them as separate remakes. Plus, hey, a new FE game is always welcomed, even if it's a remake. I'd really freaking like it if they made a game where Ares is the main character. It could fit as a sequel to FE4.

3rd Generation, golly, no. Especially if you're adding Thracia, that would be, I can't believe I'm saying it, too many characters. But I mean, I also say that because the children characters are more boring and stale copies of the originals, imo. Awakening did a way better job than Fates though. I mean, nothing new there. But yeah, 3rd generation just sounds really unappealing to me. 2nd generation itself usually doesn't feel right. FE4 was done perfect, Awakening was done well and it felt unique, and Fates was a mistake. I'm glad they stopped. What I would prefer is keeping canon children as the character's children and then adding in the other characters in as like paralogue characters or something.

Also, as everyone else is saying, please change that font. I didn't read everything in your post because it hurt my eyes and was difficult to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FE_McFly said:

Thanks for the nice feedback! I really appreciate it!

Of course on the biggest things that I, personally, would love to see in the FE4 remake that I didn't mention (due to the massive fan splits in opinion and my desire to not start a huge sub-discussion) is the possibility of including an FE5 remake in the game as well. I can understand fans' disapproval of the concept of including both games in one, but I find the positives to outweigh the negatives.

For starters, as much as I love the story of the Jugdral Saga, it is very complex and deep. So much so that it required two games to fully grasp the situation going down in the Thracian Peninsula, just to give an example. Thus, to combine both remakes into one gives the player the chance to experience both sides of the story without waiting for an individual release of an FE5 remake.  

Secondly, I believe that it would be a perfect opportunity for Intelligent Systems to help newer players truly understand what the Jugdral Saga is all about. What better way to promote one of the most interesting and gripping stories in the Fire Emblem than by giving the ENTIRE saga to fans on one Switch (or 3DS) cartridge? I just think that it would be to Intelligent Systems best interests to take their worst selling entry in the entire series and stick it with an eventual FE4 remake as extra, or even post-game, content. That way, fans would be able to experience the entire Jugdral Saga without having to buy an FE5 remake separately, get frustrated by its difficulty and differences from FE4, and ask, "Why didn't they just combine this with the FE4 remake?"    

Yeah i would love that as well. im dying for remakes of both as i love the games. i guess if i could change anything in game it would be to implemennt a storage box system and one pool of money for units as well as being able to trade item between units, just kinda basic things we have had for most fire emblem experiences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StriderSean said:

One thing I'd love is when you beat the game, you unlock a unit editor or randomizer. Say you want to torture yourself and make all your units Armor Knights, well now you can. Another unlock I think would be nice is to start the second generation immediately and use the substitute characters only or choose which ones you want.

Huh never thought of this before. Pretty unique idea. Definitely wouldn't say no to something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FE_McFly said:

Thanks for the nice feedback! I really appreciate it!

Of course on the biggest things that I, personally, would love to see in the FE4 remake that I didn't mention (due to the massive fan splits in opinion and my desire to not start a huge sub-discussion) is the possibility of including an FE5 remake in the game as well. I can understand fans' disapproval of the concept of including both games in one, but I find the positives to outweigh the negatives.

For starters, as much as I love the story of the Jugdral Saga, it is very complex and deep. So much so that it required two games to fully grasp the situation going down in the Thracian Peninsula, just to give an example. Thus, to combine both remakes into one gives the player the chance to experience both sides of the story without waiting for an individual release of an FE5 remake.  

Secondly, I believe that it would be a perfect opportunity for Intelligent Systems to help newer players truly understand what the Jugdral Saga is all about. What better way to promote one of the most interesting and gripping stories in the Fire Emblem than by giving the ENTIRE saga to fans on one Switch (or 3DS) cartridge? I just think that it would be to Intelligent Systems best interests to take their worst selling entry in the entire series and stick it with an eventual FE4 remake as extra, or even post-game, content. That way, fans would be able to experience the entire Jugdral Saga without having to buy an FE5 remake separately, get frustrated by its difficulty and differences from FE4, and ask, "Why didn't they just combine this with the FE4 remake?"    

I don't think it'd be worth risking compromising one or even both of the games. And that's putting aside my many, many grievances with their gameplay, which I'm not going to state right now. Anyway, even remaking one of them is a high-risk proposition because of the schism in fan opinion when it comes to these games, never mind having them as a 2-in-1 deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FE_McFly said:

Thanks for the nice feedback! I really appreciate it!

Of course on the biggest things that I, personally, would love to see in the FE4 remake that I didn't mention (due to the massive fan splits in opinion and my desire to not start a huge sub-discussion) is the possibility of including an FE5 remake in the game as well. I can understand fans' disapproval of the concept of including both games in one, but I find the positives to outweigh the negatives.

For starters, as much as I love the story of the Jugdral Saga, it is very complex and deep. So much so that it required two games to fully grasp the situation going down in the Thracian Peninsula, just to give an example. Thus, to combine both remakes into one gives the player the chance to experience both sides of the story without waiting for an individual release of an FE5 remake.  

Secondly, I believe that it would be a perfect opportunity for Intelligent Systems to help newer players truly understand what the Jugdral Saga is all about. What better way to promote one of the most interesting and gripping stories in the Fire Emblem than by giving the ENTIRE saga to fans on one Switch (or 3DS) cartridge? I just think that it would be to Intelligent Systems best interests to take their worst selling entry in the entire series and stick it with an eventual FE4 remake as extra, or even post-game, content. That way, fans would be able to experience the entire Jugdral Saga without having to buy an FE5 remake separately, get frustrated by its difficulty and differences from FE4, and ask, "Why didn't they just combine this with the FE4 remake?"    

 

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't think it'd be worth risking compromising one or even both of the games. And that's putting aside my many, many grievances with their gameplay, which I'm not going to state right now. Anyway, even remaking one of them is a high-risk proposition because of the schism in fan opinion when it comes to these games, never mind having them as a 2-in-1 deal.

Mechanically there's absolutely no issue with remaking both Jugdral games on one cartridge, it should be more than possible in this day and age. It's not like we're going from turn based strategy into 3D Adventure, even Thracia was originally made out of the Holy War engine.

However, I really don't see IS actually doing this. Why remake two games for one sale when you can remake two games for double the sales. This is the series that remade both books of Mystery of the Emblem as two separate games when that was one game to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would certainly like to see some aspects like actual indoors take-the-castle maps. Though things like splitting up the children and a third generation? Not quite. I'd also agree on the notion that both Jugdral games shouldn't be bundled together as one release.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

 

Mechanically there's absolutely no issue with remaking both Jugdral games on one cartridge, it should be more than possible in this day and age. It's not like we're going from turn based strategy into 3D Adventure, even Thracia was originally made out of the Holy War engine.

However, I really don't see IS actually doing this. Why remake two games for one sale when you can remake two games for double the sales. This is the series that remade both books of Mystery of the Emblem as two separate games when that was one game to begin with.

Eh, not quite. Shadow Dragon is a remake of the first game, not of Mystery's Book 1 (though Book 1 is a remake of the first game as well). So it's two separate games that are remakes of two separate games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would certainly like to see some aspects like actual indoors take-the-castle maps. Though things like splitting up the children and a third generation? Not quite. I'd also agree on the notion that both Jugdral games shouldn't be bundled together as one release.

Eh, not quite. Shadow Dragon is a remake of the first game, not of Mystery's Book 1 (though Book 1 is a remake of the first game as well). So it's two separate games that are remakes of two separate games.

Two separate games with the second being a remake of half a game then. Point is they easily could have bundled those remakes together for all the same reasons people want Jugdral bundled with more sense and precedent, but they didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 6:38 PM, X-Naut said:

Can you please use a more visible font color? I can barely make out your post.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Echoing this.

Imagine not using the night theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...