FE 4 remake ideas

FE4_Best_FE

6 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Imagine not using the night theme.

It's plain old white on green forest theme for me. I don't want none of this fancy sakura shit or whatever the kids are doing these days.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, FE_McFly said:

Gameplay: I loved all of the gameplay ideas already discussed, so I really don't have too much to say in this regard. I especially love the idea of keeping the original sizes of the maps, but creating special seize maps when the player attempts to seize the castles held by enemy bosses. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776's Tahra Map is a perfect example of this. Just make the PLAYER the one trying to seize, and you have a great new spin on the original idea.

They might add the gaiden/x chapters to the remake, like you might see Eltoshan actually saves Chagall at the last minute of Augusty seize other than seeing him teleport away.

Edited by Tetragrammaton

On 1/9/2020 at 4:33 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

If there were to be a third "generation", I'd hope it'd just be the supposed third gen that was gonna be in the original game: Azelle and Tailtiu being resurrected/reunited, etc.

I was never a fan of that story line. It seems a bit of a cop out that just weakens the Barhara massacre as a narrative device. 

It also hinges pretty heavily on the idea of characters being turned to stone instead of being killed which I always found lame. Lex and Ayra being killed on a mountain of killed foes, now that's cool. Azelle dying of sickness or Manfroy's poison during house arrest is tragic. The idea of them being turned to stone and put into a basement for two decades just sounds so dull. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

Mechanically there's absolutely no issue with remaking both Jugdral games on one cartridge, it should be more than possible in this day and age. It's not like we're going from turn based strategy into 3D Adventure, even Thracia was originally made out of the Holy War engine.

However, I really don't see IS actually doing this. Why remake two games for one sale when you can remake two games for double the sales. This is the series that remade both books of Mystery of the Emblem as two separate games when that was one game to begin with.

On paper, sure, but in actual practice, I would consider both resources and workload to be issues. I'd be surprised if neither game suffered for it.

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I was never a fan of that story line. It seems a bit of a cop out that just weakens the Barhara massacre as a narrative device. 

It also hinges pretty heavily on the idea of characters being turned to stone instead of being killed which I always found lame. Lex and Ayra being killed on a mountain of killed foes, now that's cool. Azelle dying of sickness or Manfroy's poison during house arrest is tragic. The idea of them being turned to stone and put into a basement for two decades just sounds so dull. 

The only characters who'd be stone are Azelle, Lachesis, and Silvia. Everyone else in Gen 1 either survives the game (Edain, Brigid/Eyvel, Finn, Shannan, Oifey), went completely missing either during or after the massacre (Ayra and as of now Azelle, Lachesis, and Silvia), or was confirmed to have either died at the massacre or sometime before/after (Sigured, Deirdre, Quan, Ethlyn, Alec, Naoise, Arden, Lex, Midir, Dew, Jamke, Chulainn, Beowolf, Erinys, Tailtiu, Claud...and let's face it Lewyn died it's Forseti advising Seliph). There's plenty of characters who die or get a tragic ending, giving a couple more somewhat of a happy one would be fine. The only characters who'd be moved from the "missing/dead" column would be Azelle, Lachesis, Silvia, and Tailtiu, while the other 18 dead/missing characters stay that way. That's plenty, it wouldn't weaken anything.

To be fair, considering Thracia does bring up the possibility it could be true, it's possible they might move more from the 'dead' tally into the 'petrified' one. Most of the 'confirmed' dead... aren't really, or it's ambiguous enough they could change it.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, considering Thracia does bring up the possibility it could be true, it's possible they might move more from the 'dead' tally into the 'petrified' one. Most of the 'confirmed' dead... aren't really, or it's ambiguous enough they could change it.

Dead lords be better than dead

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

On paper, sure, but in actual practice, I would consider both resources and workload to be issues. I'd be surprised if neither game suffered for it.

The workload for a remake shouldn't be all that massive to begin with. Most of the work is already done. And in a case like this they could reuse a tonne of assets from Holy War in Thracia. It would obviously require more of a workload, but it'd be a workload that I'm sure is well within the ability of Nintendo to muster. The question is would it be economically profitable to completely remake both games as one release, as the increased workload would cost more and they'd be dividing sales and increasing risk by doing it all at once instead of doing it as two separate games. So I believe they physically can do it, but have no good reason to actually do it.

One idea I always liked was splitting the massive maps from FE4 into smaller chapters while retaining the huge maps. Before I get ahead of myself, I'll elaborate. 

After each castle siege in FE4, there's typically some cutscenes to bridge parts of the chapter together and some new enemy deployments. The idea is, to break up these sections more clearly, breaking to save after each castle save, and then starting the next chapter right at that castle. Think that weird 4-part chapter from FE9, but, like, better.  The idea is to maintain the grand scale of the FE4 maps while also making them easier for newcomers to digest. In between "chapters', the same cutscenes could play, and supports could also be added, because more character interactions is always good in FE. 

Uh, other changes could be made to make infantry units more viable on the large maps. Maybe just boost their move by like 1 (or 2)? Give more units pursuit? Or at least change accost (charge?) to function like in Thracia to add some interesting options other than pursuit. In general, add improvements concept-wise from Thracia back to FE4.

Also, I'd prefer to keep FE4 and FE5 separate, simply because I think it would be better to maintain their individual styles, and by keeping them separate, they can focus an full game's attention on each one. 

21 minutes ago, Shimmerfang said:

One idea I always liked was splitting the massive maps from FE4 into smaller chapters while retaining the huge maps. Before I get ahead of myself, I'll elaborate. 

After each castle siege in FE4, there's typically some cutscenes to bridge parts of the chapter together and some new enemy deployments. The idea is, to break up these sections more clearly, breaking to save after each castle save, and then starting the next chapter right at that castle. Think that weird 4-part chapter from FE9, but, like, better.  The idea is to maintain the grand scale of the FE4 maps while also making them easier for newcomers to digest. In between "chapters', the same cutscenes could play, and supports could also be added, because more character interactions is always good in FE. 

Uh, other changes could be made to make infantry units more viable on the large maps. Maybe just boost their move by like 1 (or 2)? Give more units pursuit? Or at least change accost (charge?) to function like in Thracia to add some interesting options other than pursuit. In general, add improvements concept-wise from Thracia back to FE4.

Also, I'd prefer to keep FE4 and FE5 separate, simply because I think it would be better to maintain their individual styles, and by keeping them separate, they can focus an full game's attention on each one. 

Oh yeah, the Rescue Command would really help the case of infantry being a major burden in Genealogy. If we can carry them using our cavalry they can get to battle quicker during those long treks. And it would be giving cavalry something to do other than charge ahead and slaughter everyone. We haven't seen the original Rescue for quite a few games now, but I do hope they bring it back for a Holy War remake.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:50 PM, StriderSean said:

Another unlock I think would be nice is to start the second generation immediately and use the substitute characters only or choose which ones you want.

How would that even work? The inheritance system and the effect of pairings on the kids stats makes it impossible to be anything other than only the substitutes with Seliph and Leif having an inventory they default to. Because if you're entertaining the idea of having some of the kids, you'd either have a bunch of "canon" pairings with no proper item inheritance or a huge form to fill out before starting.

36 minutes ago, Gerd0 said:

How would that even work? The inheritance system and the effect of pairings on the kids stats makes it impossible to be anything other than only the substitutes with Seliph and Leif having an inventory they default to. Because if you're entertaining the idea of having some of the kids, you'd either have a bunch of "canon" pairings with no proper item inheritance or a huge form to fill out before starting.

That could work. The biggest issue would probably be kill counts on weapons. But they could be set to zero for the cost of skipping half the game (if the same critical system is even retained).

My FE4 remake idea is actually really simple. Don't. Just leave it alone. I wouldn't be opposed to an English release of the original famicom one, but no remake. Some things are perfect how they are, and no matter how they do it I know it wouldn't feel right to me. All the things that make 4 both good and bad are special to me and I wouldnt want any of them changed. Same with the art style. 

9 hours ago, ForLewyn said:

My FE4 remake idea is actually really simple. Don't. Just leave it alone. I wouldn't be opposed to an English release of the original famicom one, but no remake. Some things are perfect how they are, and no matter how they do it I know it wouldn't feel right to me. All the things that make 4 both good and bad are special to me and I wouldnt want any of them changed. Same with the art style. 

You do know the original still exists after a remake is made, right? Nothing special is taken away from you.

15 hours ago, ForLewyn said:

There's no way that's gonna happen - it wouldn't be profitable. In addition, it would be a massive cop-out.

I could agree that only translating the original and releasing that might not be likely.

Doing that AND giving us a remake, however...

If Trials of Mana was remade with the original receiving an official translation and release as well, then the gates are open for other games to follow suit.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I could agree that only translating the original and releasing that might not be likely.

Doing that AND giving us a remake, however...

If Trials of Mana was remade with the original receiving an official translation and release as well, then the gates are open for other games to follow suit.

I believe they did the same thing with the original Metal Gear games at some point.

I'm not sure if I want a remake. I'm 100% sure they would butcher the storyline, and since it's one of the better things of FE4, that would kinda hurt one of the reasons to play it.

And if they modify the gameplay too much, the hardcore fans will all be "oh, you ruined the core of the game!" and newcomers will be on the opposite end, since a lot of people hate the maps, that's my go-to here. Kinda caught here, since no one will be happy with change... at all.

While I love FE4 in its current state and don’t consider many of its “outdated” gameplay elements to be issues (supposed weapon and skill imbalance, for one), I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the pairing/inheritance system. 

It always bothered me that despite a great number of possible pairings, only a small handful of them are worth anyone’s while.  Lewyn has seven options for a bride, but four of them might as well not exist due to the resulting children not being able to wield Forseti, or any of his tomes/staves for that matter.  I believe a great deal of useless pairings could be given life by loosening the rigidity of the childrens’ classes and promotion paths.  Promotions are not tied necessarily to what a unit’s base class is, and so the infrastructure is already there.

For example, imagine Lewyn x Ayra.  In vanilla FE4 there is no reason to even consider this pairing because statistically it is nothing special, and more importantly means Forseti will be sitting uselessly in Ulster’s inventory forever.  What if with Lewyn as the father, Ulster promotes to a Mage Fighter instead of his usual Forrest/Hero?  It doesn’t only have to happen to ensure holy weapon inheritance either – Diarmud for example could benefit by a Mage Knight promotion with Azel as his father.  Larcei could promote to an updated Hero class that can use Axes like in Thracia if she has Neir blood, etc.  Lots of fun possibilities. 

Unfortunately, some pairings don’t lend themselves to such simple solutions.  Lewyn x Aideen or Briggid, or example.  One could swap the inheritance of Aideen’s kids so that Lana gets Lewyn’s stuff, but then that ruins Lester.  Lester could promote to a unique bow knight class that can also use wind magic, but I don’t think that’s ideal.  Same deal with Patty.  I don’t know of an elegant solution to make the Forseti (or Valkyrie Staff, in the case of Claud) more than just wasted space in her inventory.

Of course, there is also the issue of how pairings are made in the first place, but I haven’t given much thought to how this could be improved without significant changes to the way the game is played.                

TLDR; Give me more incentive to try what would normally be considered off-kilter pairings beyond a novelty that wears off after one chapter. 

14 hours ago, DLNarshen said:

While I love FE4 in its current state and don’t consider many of its “outdated” gameplay elements to be issues (supposed weapon and skill imbalance, for one), I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the pairing/inheritance system. 

It always bothered me that despite a great number of possible pairings, only a small handful of them are worth anyone’s while.  Lewyn has seven options for a bride, but four of them might as well not exist due to the resulting children not being able to wield Forseti, or any of his tomes/staves for that matter.  I believe a great deal of useless pairings could be given life by loosening the rigidity of the childrens’ classes and promotion paths.  Promotions are not tied necessarily to what a unit’s base class is, and so the infrastructure is already there.

For example, imagine Lewyn x Ayra.  In vanilla FE4 there is no reason to even consider this pairing because statistically it is nothing special, and more importantly means Forseti will be sitting uselessly in Ulster’s inventory forever.  What if with Lewyn as the father, Ulster promotes to a Mage Fighter instead of his usual Forrest/Hero?  It doesn’t only have to happen to ensure holy weapon inheritance either – Diarmud for example could benefit by a Mage Knight promotion with Azel as his father.  Larcei could promote to an updated Hero class that can use Axes like in Thracia if she has Neir blood, etc.  Lots of fun possibilities. 

Unfortunately, some pairings don’t lend themselves to such simple solutions.  Lewyn x Aideen or Briggid, or example.  One could swap the inheritance of Aideen’s kids so that Lana gets Lewyn’s stuff, but then that ruins Lester.  Lester could promote to a unique bow knight class that can also use wind magic, but I don’t think that’s ideal.  Same deal with Patty.  I don’t know of an elegant solution to make the Forseti (or Valkyrie Staff, in the case of Claud) more than just wasted space in her inventory.

Of course, there is also the issue of how pairings are made in the first place, but I haven’t given much thought to how this could be improved without significant changes to the way the game is played.                

TLDR; Give me more incentive to try what would normally be considered off-kilter pairings beyond a novelty that wears off after one chapter. 

Sounds like what you're really describing is the basic reclassing system we had in Awakening and Fates. No need to give weird promtions to units and wait to use their parents asset. Just give them a chance to promote laterally and inherit their parent's class.

I know this may sound like heresy but personally, I believe that Genealogy would really benefit from an overhaul in the story because of NES limitations and generally a weird execution of its core themes. The plot is amazing in theory but it falls off in execution. Some balancing may be nice like giving all infantry units +1 movement because mounts are just superior to them, more weapons, better axes or only 1 equipable ring and I think that other gameplay changes should be limited because normal trading would break the game. I'd find it nice if they also more clearly expressed things like love points to newbies but I think that would happen either way.

Edited by Ishmael