Fashion From The Past You Wish To Revive Or Be More Popular

XRay

A non food and non cat topic! Are there any clothing from the past that you like? Any trends you wish were more popular?

Capes
I like capes, and I prefer ones with a hood. They look pretty cool, and it makes me feel like a superhero. They are also useful for travelling, especially if you are going somewhere cold.

Trench Coats
Basically capes, but cooler and edgier. They are still around, but they do not seem to be as common as I thought they would be.

Ancient Greek Clothing
They look really loose and comfortable. I mean, I guess modern T shirts are not that bad, but they still hug your body and can be uncomfortable when you get really sweaty.

Jedi Robes
Not historical clothing, but they remind me of ancient Greek clothing, so they look pretty comfy too.

Going Caveman
The original fashion trend where you wear nothing at all! Saves a ton a of money and it is good for the planet.

Codpiece
Basically dong armor. Alm's dong armor is huge. Historical codpieces are much more modest in size.

Overalls... When I was growing up, us kids wore these all the time, and some adults did once in awhile too. These days, I almost never see them anymore, not even on kids. But I still think they're cute sometimes.

4 hours ago, XRay said:

Trench Coats

In California it's very hard to find them. Makes sense since it rains maybe three times a year here. Depending on where you travel you may have some luck. But it'd be a big thing to cram into your suitcase coming home.

Have to agree with overalls. I only wore them as a child for my Mario and Luigi halloween outfits, but they're very comfy. I'm not a fan of jeans since they tend to squeeze my legs and I hate wearing a belt, but overalls tend to fit any size, and the support comes from your shoulders instead of your waste.

And in general I wish I could wear a cape. It's my favorite design element for fire emblem characters. Not something I'd bring to work or school, capes probably make it hard to sit, but maybe going to some party or gaming event/tournament. Any place where it's not weird to dress up a bit.

13 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Alm's is actually somewhat small, most of them stuck out more.

His dong armor is the size of his thigh armor. That looks pretty big.

510px-Alm_Imperial_Ascent_Face.webp.png?

14 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Here's my personal favorite, though.

TfmISDv3LEYMIkni50d59o2cWoHkbXWr8KXVGPbuZUzNraGLJ5OdoCrpMiZxjnaIJXCbjOVX6D-Zi8btE4ro351gfovdJh5_UcTae36uhMaUjktLWluoiw20MgqJ6e-d28fj6UV8

Your junior has a cute face.

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

In California it's very hard to find them. Makes sense since it rains maybe three times a year here. Depending on where you travel you may have some luck. But it'd be a big thing to cram into your suitcase coming home.

It rains a lot in Northern California during the winter/rainy season. Still rare to see people wearing one though.

Just now, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

I suppose I was meaning he's got the long dong armor, whereas it doesnt bulge nearly as much as the historical versions. 

Oh, you meant that. Yeah, codpieces are usually not as big as dong armor, but they are generally more protrusive and phallic.

3 hours ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Alm's is actually somewhat small, most of them stuck out more.

Might be NSFW-ish

That image is the funniest damn thing I've seen all day omg.

What's the purpose of the real historical ones bulging out like that? Like anything actual functional?

Edited by Dragoncat

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

That image is the funniest damn thing I've seen all day omg.

What's the purpose of the real historical ones bulging out like that? Like anything actual functional?

From the research I've done, the only thing they really did was get you ladies, and tell your enemy that your dong was bigger. I suppose having plate down there would protect it to a degree, but better protection would really just come from a cup. Honestly, a chainmail skirt would be better, and much more comfortable.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

Just now, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

From the research I've done, the only thing they really did was get you ladies, and tell your enemy that your dong was bigger. I suppose having plate down there would prptect it to a degree, but better protection would really just come from a cup. Honestly, a chainmail skirt would be better, and much more comfortable.

Proof that humanity never changes and has always been the same.

6 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

"Walk onto the battlefield like hey I got a big codpiece." ~Definitely somebody.

I read something awhile back where a drawing of a penis was found on the walls of some ancient Roman ruins and they found out a Roman soldier from that time drew it.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I read something awhile back where a drawing of a penis was found on the walls of some ancient Roman ruins and they found out a Roman soldier from that time drew it.

Alright, that's pretty fantastic. The original weaner graffiti artist. And now look, we uncovered it and now archeologists have marveled at it, something he probably did because he was board.

Lets bring back capes and long, flowy dresses that make us look like rejected LOTR elves.

No, seriously, I like them.

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Going Caveman
The original fashion trend where you wear nothing at all! Saves a ton a of money and it is good for the planet.

Personally, not my thing. The only way you could convince me to be naked or almost naked in public is if Kill La Kill is true and all clothing has aliens in them.

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I think I read somewhere that for awhile archeologists thought that Pompeii had a bunch of brothels because they mistook every building with a dong drawn on it as a brothel.

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I think I read somewhere that for awhile archeologists thought that Pompeii had a bunch of brothels because they mistook every building with a dong drawn on it as a brothel.

They found an ash cast of a guy in the...self love pose and the whole internet laughed until some crusty party pooper archeologist claimed he curled up like that when being boiled alive.

Personally, I say more power to him, might as well go out happy.

Fedoras! And hats in general.
I just realized, we actually do not wear a lot of headgear. I like fedoras because they look cool, and I also listened to Ne-Yo a lot when I was younger and I like how he rocks certain outfits in the music videos, and the most memorable part of the outfit for me back then was the fedora.

Swords/Katanas/Rapiers/etc.
They look pretty cool as fashion pieces. And if you ever get bored, you just challenge someone on the streets to a sparring match, kind of like how kids chug around their Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokémon decks.

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I do not know why, but reading that gives me a warm, happy feeling. It is like we found common ground across cultures and ancestors. Kind of weird to say it, but dick jokes and toilet humor are like part of the human experience.

56 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Personally, not my thing. The only way you could convince me to be naked or almost naked in public is if Kill La Kill is true and all clothing has aliens in them.

That is fine. I just want the freedom and liberty to go out like a caveman without having the cops being called on me. I just want to feel comfortable.

47 minutes ago, Specta said:

if i'm being totally honest with myself, the shit i wear to the ren faire is what i want to wear in my daily life

oh well

There is a YouTuber who makes her own Victorian style clothes, and she makes them really well. I am not sure if she wears them often in public, but she does seem to at least wear them in public from time to time. Hopefully this gives you the courage to rock that Renaissance Faire outfit at school. Plus, it would be educational and entertaining.

I need more frilly things and fluffy dresses that need petticoats to come back because lolita fashion isn't as accessible and can be really pricey (though for all I know that kind of clothing might have also been expensive back then.... but at the very least I would love more accessibility!)