2020 unpopular opinion thread (Fire Emblem)

4 minutes ago, Elephantus said:

Alright, here's one: I don't like changing the active weapon of a unit that has already moved by trading it around with something else, and it shouldn't be a feature in the game.

(hit me with all you've got)

Nah man, this is a good point. You should have to consider more than just the immediate battle when picking your weapon.

I've already mentioned before I don't much care for the cast of FE7.

As a Fire Emblem fan, I hate Fire Emblem. Most of these games are bad, but most criticisms of these games are also bad. Everyone is a big poopy idiot all around.

My unpopular opinion regarding characters would be that I really like Ignatz but dislike Marianne. 

Marianne just doesn't work for me as a concept. As a general rule I don't like characters endlessly repeating how useless they are and responding to every bit of praise by insisting they are useless. Characters can feel that way and it can effect their actions but I'd like for them to be able to go a few second without mentioning it. Ignatz too is a character with very low self esteem but doesn't assault everyone with that opinion the entire time. Marianne seems a pretty competent depiction of that type of character but since those characters give me nothing neither does she. 

Ignatz on the other hand I quite like and as such I often feel as one of the only people that like him. For some weird reason Ignatz seemed to prompt a very negative reaction in people despite there not being any reason for this. In fact Ignatz is a bit of a combination of Ashe and Marianne who are both decently popular. He shares all the soft boy traits that make people go ''must protect!'' about Ashe and he shares Marianne's low self esteem which also makes them go ''must protect!''. Ignatz is always very, very sweet and nice and logically should trigger more sympathy than dislike. You'd think most gamers could relate to his rather nuanced depiction of social anxiety. Sure he's a nerd but he hardly looks like the typically ugly nerd trope media often uses. I'd say the dorky look is quite charming. 

I'm on team Edelgard which probably isn't inherently unpopular. I do think my view that the Blue Lions have the worst ending isn't widely shared. Their story pretty much ends the same way how most Fire emblem stories have their conflict begin. The big heroes defeated the evil faction but also allow their remnants to go into hiding and become a creepy cult out to reconquer the world a few centuries later. And this time the creepy cult has nukes. If any of the routes has its ending violently overthrown a few centuries later then its the Blue Lions route. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Verdant Wind is a mess and should be made into a free DLC and released later day rather than reuse Silver Snow contents:

- Claude being called a tactical genius, but in Verdant Wind the only time he did anything extraordinary was the disguise trick, otherwise he's decision is really no different than other lords

- completely ignore complicated Alliance politics, where is all the political drama foreshadowed in White Cloud or other routes?

- The route didn't have a single level taking place in Alliance (discounting paralouge that everyone else had)

- Using monastery as base doesn't make sense in this route, in SS and AM they were guerrilla fighters without a place to regroup, in VW Claude should be using his country as base where he could easily resupply until they push Imperials back. In SS and AM they also stated Monastery is the poor location since the land is ravaged by war with very little resource to spare, nor people to recruit from.

- Reusing cutscenes from Silver Snow and sometimes inappropriate , this has been discussed often so not going to repeat.

- Ending was too depending on certain combination: in VW the ending clearly was written with F!Byleth x Claude in mind, Claude would only explain to you his decision not to be King of Fodlan if you S support him. Otherwise the game ends abruptly with Byleth as king without explanation.

3 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

- The route didn't have a single level taking place in Alliance (discounting paralouge that everyone else had)

Isn't the Valley of Torment located within Alliance borders? They just don't like going there because its a hellhole. And the bridge too is a location within the alliance. Its the empire that doesn't have a battle within its borders. 

5 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

- completely ignore complicated Alliance politics, where is all the political drama foreshadowed in White Cloud or other routes?

I definitely missed Count Gloucester going full Laus on the Alliance but its not completely ignored. Some cutscenes do talk about interhouse politics and gathering supports from the other lords. 

58 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Isn't the Valley of Torment located within Alliance borders? They just don't like going there because its a hellhole. And the bridge too is a location within the alliance. Its the empire that doesn't have a battle within its borders.

I got the impression that Valley of Torment was the border between Alliance and Kingdom, the bridge was the border between Alliance and the empire besides, even if that counts, Alliance still has the least location in the game besides it's capital (again, absent in this route)

I definitely missed Count Gloucester going full Laus on the Alliance but its not completely ignored. Some cutscenes do talk about interhouse politics and gathering supports from the other lords. 

But it's basically same cutscene with minor alteration with Silver Snow, Alliance being a fractured republic should play a central role in VW, just like Claude supposedly being a tactical genius.

30 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If this is for any FE game, this should go in General FE, not the Three Houses board.

And there's already a thread like this there, I believe.

heeyup