this is just terrible

Mukmuk

Hahaha oh man this is scummy Gamefreak! I thought those designs were fake! XD

This announcement makes me insanely glad I didn't bother to buy Sword. It's personal principle to never buy paid DLC anyway, but on a game like Sw/Sh that was already lackluster at best? Hah! Man this is bad.

like the Moltress design... >_>
Zapdos, eh why not, Articuno really is being edgy. They kind of all are.

It's really just the scummy practices that pisses me off, the designs are fine.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, Ottservia said:

Yeah but for $60 I can get a game like Persona 5 with dozens more hours of content, better polish, and a complete and fulfilling experience. With pokemon, I can only get like one of those things. I'm not saying SWSH is bad(in fact I think it's the best pokemon games we've had in a while). It's just that for $60 I expect a little more.

I know what you mean and I completely agree with you, but I can't help but point out that P5 got lot of dlcs, and then sometimes later they did Royal which also had dlcs. 😛

6 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

I know what you mean and I completely agree with you, but I can't help but point out that P5 got lot of dlcs, and then sometimes later they did Royal which also had dlcs. 😛

Here's the thing about persona dlc though. All of it cosmetic. You don't have to buy it for the complete experience. All it really is just a bunch of cute outfits. Royal is more comparable to "third versions" like emerald, crystal, yellow, etc. because like those games it is an enhanced of an already released game though in my opinion Royal justifies it's $60 price tag more than SWSH does.

16 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Here's the thing about persona dlc though. All of it cosmetic. You don't have to buy it for the complete experience. All it really is just a bunch of cute outfits. Royal is more comparable to "third versions" like emerald, crystal, yellow, etc. because like those games it is an enhanced of an already released game though in my opinion Royal justifies it's $60 price tag more than SWSH does.

Cosmetic or pay to win. Both which are still pretty terrible. I remember fondly of a time you did not had to pay for costumes or cosmetics and had to unlock them in game. 😛

I mean, I'd argue that Royal looks pretty shitty, but you're right. Still a scummy move though. Dunno if it's less or more than SwSh.

Looking back on what i said about the DLC, i think it's not the worst thing, and I'm glad pokemon fans get more content, but I wont be buying it. I already have such a long line of DLC i need to buy. So hopefully the quality is really good, and worth the money.

• 2 months later...

Okay, am I the only one who likes the designs? And doesn’t crucify Game Freak for making this DLC? You never HAD to buy both versions OR both their respective Expansion passes.

Of I course, I myself CAN’T buy them due to poor timing, but that’s a different story.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 7:57 PM, Mukmuk said:

image.png.1a58eaf9723581f5a2f50280484e0a26.png

Like, look at these designs. These are just so ugly, I just don't understand why people like this BS. Moltress looks... not absolutely awful, but still pretty bad. Articuno's going through its edgy emo phase (those laser beams though), and Zapdos... ugh. People are too easily appeased by anything. 

Also, for "new areas" in Sword and Shield (that probably should have been in the game beforehand) you have to spend money so you can unlock these and the Pokemon you can catch there. I mean this is just ridiculous; at least in literally every other Pokemon game you could catch 98%, if not all Pokemon within the game without some kind of stupid DLC.

Sword and Shield -1/10 

That's... that's just false, though. In no Pokemon game can you acquire all existing Pokemon within the game. You may not have needed DLC, but you did need connectivity with other games (via trading and transfers). The DLC is basically doing what Ultra Sun/Moon did (add a way to acquire old legendaries - and in this case, new forms), without requiring the purchase of a whole new game.

Design-wise, I actually really dig the Galarian birds. They look like they'll retain one elemental typing, while forgoing Flying for something else. I'm not a huge fan of the Kanto-obsessiveness, but in their own right, these things look fine. The legendaries I'm not a fan of are the new Regies, but I never cared for those to begin with.

For the record, I don't have the games, and I'm probably not getting them. I wanted a way to let my old competetive teams battle on "the big screen", and knowing some of them can't be brought over means it's not worth it for me. Not to mention, the plot sounds bad and the overworld design sounds underwhelming. Still, I see these DLC as tentative steps to improving the game (unfortunately, at a significant cost). Only time will tell if it's worth it.