Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX

NegativeExponents-

I was interested in discussing this game but I noticed there wasn't any topic up yet so I guess I'll be the first to start things off.

Anyways, the thing I was personally invested in was that shiny pokemon finally exist!

s7MclTP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Well I guess shiny Celebi was a thing in Explorers but that was just a one time thing. This seems to indicate that all pokemon will have their shiny variant which I'm excited about.

Wonder how rare they'll be and if they'll have any special qualities to them (besides the rare palette swap that is)

Another thing I wanted to bring up is, how many pokemon do you think will be represented in this game? Gen 1-3 is a given since that's the gens that the original had but we've seen some of 4 with Lucario and Togekiss so maybe it'll be up to gen 4?

Interesting to note is that mega evolutions, primal reversion, and fairy type are in so that leads me to believe we could even see pokemon up to gen 6. Maybe even up gen 7 instead since moves like stomping tantrum, brutal swing, and aurora veil are in.

Gen 8 is the one that seems most unlikely to be represented since there seems to be no moves or abilities that originate from there.

And last but not least is that there's 6 more story icons in DX compared to Red/Blue.

luE0c0D.jpg

3R3hWWr.jpg

So seems like there will be some sizable amount content being added to the remake which is great since I initially thought it was just same the game but with a slightly expanded roster and some QoL changes.

It's great there's another Mystery Dungeon game. Being a remake of the first games is nice too.

Personally, I hope we have at least the entire of Gen IV added in. At the very least, I can see the evolutions and pre-evolutions of Gen I-III Pokémon in.

Regarding the icons, it might be. However, hours ago I saw in the Mystery Dungeon reddit someone pointing out that the new icons could be for the remaining bosses. If you discount the Regis since they're more like minibosses, then you're left with Skarmony, Team Meanies, Latios, and the Beast Trio, which could make for the six new icons (or they might stick to legendaries in which case it's the four, plus Jirachi; and... hmm, perhaps it might not be for the remaining legendary bosses after all). If, however, they're for new stuff, that'd certainly be great.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Never actually played PMD1, so this is a likely pickup for me. I adore PMD Sky so I can't wait.

I am very glad they kept Super's "pick whatever starter with want if you dont like the quiz result". Also no more gender limitations, as little as they matter.

I decided I'd look for the Dancer ability considering it's a signature ability to Oricorio and I didn't see it. If I had to guess, it's just Gens 1-6 which suits me just fine.

Though Zygarde's Aura Break isn't present nor is Xerneas' Fairy Aura or Yveltal's Dark Aura...

Maybe they wanna let the story shine properly first and add more things later? I suppose there's always the chance of an update later on to add more to do. Be it free or paid DLC but the fact we already have new features available compared to the original is always a pleasant sign.

I havent been excited for anything related to pokemon since the epic hype deflation that was the infamous E3 national dex announcement (since then I have not felt an iota of interest for SwSh and have cut myself off of most any news for it; I still have no idea what 95% of the new pokemon are or look like) so imagine my elation upon learning of this remake. This is freaking fantastic and if the main games continue to decline this is all I'll need from pokemon for now. 

I got to play the demo last night and I'm happy to see this game lovingly remade with all the things I liked about the original with QoL updates to smooth out the edges. Only thing I'm a little disappointed on is losing the generic attack, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Also, I haven't played this game in forever or as many times as PMD2, but is there anyway to change partner behavior in dungeons? Its annoying to have him moving and attacking things without my input; I distinctly remember there being a menu to change behavior to an option that makes it so that the partner will follow you step for step and only attack things he's next to. I had one too many instances where he's stepping out of line to pick up items I dont want or attacking things further away that I dont want to engage. It was rather frustrating in an otherwise nostalgically great experience. 

I really hope this sells well so they can remake all the games or at least PMD2, my absolute favorite! Definitely picking this up (it comes out on my birthday no less!) and I think this will be enough to keep me busy until I can see if gamefreak is serious about eventually bringing all pokemon to galar, which is my minimum requirement to play SwSh.

Edited by Silver Lightning

On 1/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, Silver Lightning said:

Also, I haven't played this game in forever or as many times as PMD2, but is there anyway to change partner behavior in dungeons? Its annoying to have him moving and attacking things without my input; I distinctly remember there being a menu to change behavior to an option that makes it so that the partner will follow you step for step and only attack things he's next to. I had one too many instances where he's stepping out of line to pick up items I dont want or attacking things further away that I dont want to engage. It was rather frustrating in an otherwise nostalgically great experience. 

I really hope this sells well so they can remake all the games or at least PMD2, my absolute favorite! Definitely picking this up (it comes out on my birthday no less!) and I think this will be enough to keep me busy until I can see if gamefreak is serious about eventually bringing all pokemon to galar, which is my minimum requirement to play SwSh.

That was the IQ System, in which the AI allies (and the player) would gain abilities, behavioral or otherwise, the higher their IQ. From what I remember looking up, the IQ system will be changed to a different sort of system. Behavioral abilities are still in; but they won't be gained the same way it was in the originals. Will still involve the Gummies, though.

Not something really prevalent in the early game, so no surprises it's "missing" from the demo. Well, perhaps the abilities that every Pokémon would have at 0 IQ since it seems even those, or their equivalents, now have to be obtained like the rest.

Also, I agree on the idea of Explorers remakes. I do hope those are eventually a thing as well.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

^

Thanks for the reminder, I dont know how that system slipped my mind after the hundreds of gummies I shoved down my throat just to get some decent IQ skills. Though yeah, I do now remember the standard follower iq skill being default which is probably why I confused it as being built in to the game as normal. Hopefully it's just a demo oversight, because I'd rather not play the game like that until I can get it; gummies as far as I remember were uncommon, weren't cheap, and rarely come in the color you want.

On another note, can anyone confirm something for me, just so I know if I'm crazy or not? (Former is probs true tho)

I remember at some point during the demo I saw some tutorial or item description seemingly insinuating that pokemon recruits in the new rescue team camps may be able to gain xp or some type of growth while standing by outside of the team. I'm probably wrong in this interpretation and I'll probably boot up another run of the demo tonight just to see where I got this insinuation (I've been pouring over so much hype and info this weekend that I may have misinterpreted something at some point) but has anyone come across or remember reading something similar? I havent been able to look through all the datamined/ keyword searches stuff yet.

And if this likely isnt the case, any general tips on leveling pokemon that arent consistently able to join your team? One of the more annoying things for me was never being able to have too many pokemon in circulation for my team due to level constraints; I usually have to plan out long in advance who my 4 main team members will be for endgame. I can rarely add and experiment with freshly recruited pokemon since my starters are always too high level in comparison and generally doing high level things that restricts messing with team composition. The extra levels you have to get during the leader/partner only "on the run" sequences dont help either. Maybe I was always missing some method, but grinding levels on other pokemon in these games seemed way too hard and tedious without expecting to not progress in the story for a good long while.

And as a last thought, any hope we might be able to evolve before post game? Never understood the point of that either.

Sorry for all my rambling, I'm just too excited to play these again! 😄

I'm definitely playing it. PMD 2 was the first one I played, and I haven't played this one. Maybe this is a sign that Pokemon Ranger has a chance? Hopefully they remake PMD2. That one is a die-hard favorite in story and gameplay.

Looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of the original's spritework but this watercolor artstyle is a nice alternative.

I never actually completed Rescue Team's bonus dungeons so this'll be a good chance to redeem myself. Also, of course, hoping this eventually leads to an Explorers remake.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I'm sitting here at work and barely containing my hype for this game (I cant stand knowing I have to wait till tomorrow evening to play it!).

Is anyone else super excited for tomorrow's release or is it just me? XD

I'm hoping there will be an active PMD community here once its out. I really hope this game sells well!

So, what did everyone start with? I went for a team of Cubone and Machop. In retrospect that was a terrible move since it's not the most well balanced especially considering all the flying type bosses the main game has but what's a little type of advantage for this unstoppable duo?

I'm so sad evolving makes you and your partner lose your scarfs. I want to be a cool Marowak but not sure its worth losing that plus all the unique portraits.

Anyway, I just beat the main game and boy was it good. I loved all the newly animated cutscenes for this. I was real worried that the game would be ridiculously easy with all the new QoL improvements and the strong moves the starters come with but it was actually well balanced and maybe even more difficult than the original ones with traps, enemies with room wide moves, and monster houses appearing from very early on. Looking forward to the post game. I've played through some of it in the original but never finished it all so looking forward to all that I've been missed out on.

I got it on friday as a perfect birthday present for myself, and I've barely resurfaced since lol. It's been so much fun and nostalgic going through this game again and I'm surprised at how much I equally remember and misremember from the OG rescue games. Its definitely been way easier going through the game this time compared to when I was 13 and a total mystery dungeon nooblet. Adult me at least knows how to make use of my team instead of just my starter and prepare with actual varied and useful moves with different ranges and effects. Also, having knowledge of the nightmares of what monster houses would be this time around is invaluable; I just had a smooth and drama free first run of magma cavern due to being crazy prepared and experienced all these years later, compared to my multiple painful wipes long ago. It's nice feeling like I conquered those childhood nightmares, but Sky Tower and postgame bullshit awaits I suppose, so we'll see.

I went with Cubone/Charmander for my first playthrough, and its been cool experimenting with all the different pokemon you get access to now with the expansion of the previously post game locked friend areas now available for main story use. And it seems I was correct in what I surmised in an earlier post, so I'm not crazy after all; all pokemon on the rescue team even when standing by in the camps get passive exp with each mission outing, so I dont feel like I'm stuck to only my main 2-3 and I can experiment with each and every pokemon. In light of that, this time I'm actually going to recruit and raise every single pokemon! Which is only made easier by the absolute bonkers ability of being able to recruit up to 8 pokemon in each dungeon. Its kinda hilarious how quickly you can build an army made up of randos you met in the dungeon to steamroll over anything and everything, even story bosses. You either die to the monster house or live long enough to see yourself become the monster house, indeed. XD

I'm definitely having stupid amounts of fun with this game so far and I hope it sells well so we can have this in Explorers flavor.  Perhaps even an entirely new PMD. I cant wait for more! 

Oh, and if anyone ever needs or wants rescuing, hit me up! I'd like to try and set up a PMD team registry and rescue topic for SF if there are enough people playing this game on here~

Squirtle/Pikachu. Holding off on actually playing for a while, though. Still playing MegaMan Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, then I'm gonna do a 3H run (VW, to get the Claude/Balthus and Hilda/Balthus supports), then I'll play this.

So does anyone mind helping me out? I died on the 20th floor of Mt. Freeze. I could really use a rescue. The rescue ID is i$nq4h*$%BZ

I'm at work for another 6 hours or so sadly, but if no one has rescued you by then I'd be happy to do it tonight. I haven't actually wiped yet at all, so what does the game allow you to do in the meantime? I'm curious to know.

7 minutes ago, Silver Lightning said:

I'm at work for another 6 hours or so sadly, but if no one has rescued you by then I'd be happy to do it tonight. I haven't actually wiped yet at all, so what does the game allow you to do in the meantime? I'm curious to know.

Well you can try to rescue yourself and link moves. Other than that I’m not entirely sure but thanks. I’m just gonna wait patiently then

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

So does anyone mind helping me out? I died on the 20th floor of Mt. Freeze. I could really use a rescue. The rescue ID is i$nq4h*$%BZ

Did you get the code wrong or am I just an idiot? Because I don't see any place where I could enter that code

ZAKwR69.jpg

sJGHjtc.jpg

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Did you get the code wrong or am I just an idiot? Because I don't see any place where I could enter that code

ZAKwR69.jpg

sJGHjtc.jpg

No you’re fine I was rescued by someone else

Got a question if anyone happens to know so far.

I beat sky tower last night and unlocked evolution; I was ready to start evolving everyone in my army but I then happened to notice that move tutor was now available with gulpin. Which then made me wonder if evolving everyone would lock me out of moves that only the pre evolution would learn like in the main games. Does anyone know if you can lock yourself out of that stuff or do I have to keep everyone from evolving until way later? I seem to remember Explorers encouraging this practice to learn OP stuff like earth power or heat wave that evolved pokemon would not learn if evolved too early.

6 hours ago, Silver Lightning said:

Got a question if anyone happens to know so far.

I beat sky tower last night and unlocked evolution; I was ready to start evolving everyone in my army but I then happened to notice that move tutor was now available with gulpin. Which then made me wonder if evolving everyone would lock me out of moves that only the pre evolution would learn like in the main games. Does anyone know if you can lock yourself out of that stuff or do I have to keep everyone from evolving until way later? I seem to remember Explorers encouraging this practice to learn OP stuff like earth power or heat wave that evolved pokemon would not learn if evolved too early.

From what I can tell there's no need to worry about that since even Beedrill can learn stuff like bug bite or harden despite being pre-evolution moves only before. Might be different for more drastic changes where pokemon end up changing one of their types like surskit-masquerain, nincada-ninjask/shedinja, or scyther-scizor

18 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

From what I can tell there's no need to worry about that since even Beedrill can learn stuff like bug bite or harden despite being pre-evolution moves only before. Might be different for more drastic changes where pokemon end up changing one of their types like surskit-masquerain, nincada-ninjask/shedinja, or scyther-scizor

Ah good to hear. I'm still going to try to be a little cautious though and follow the USUM move lists on Serebii; I spent about an hour yesterday double checking all the lists for my pokemon that can evolve and evolved about 2/3 of them; the rest I decided to leave for another 10+ levels or so if there was a cool move or two I'd like to have available that are pre evolution only. For example, I never knew that Oddish could learn moonblast at lvl 40, but not upon evolution. It might have been tedious in any other PMD, but I must say the passive leveling for all inactive pokemon has been really nice! I hope they keep this moving forward~

Post game is just as scary as I remember it though. Getting one or two shot at just about every turn. I had just enough reviver seeds to get through howling forest for smeargle and solar cave for the friend bow, but I almost got my first wipe from a shiny aipom I foolishly thought I could overpower. I suppose anything lvl 40 or below is too under leveled; I wish the dungeon listings reported the level range for the dungeon as well. I'm getting frightened by even the most innocuous pokemon shooting deathrays across the room and through the halls lol