That Original E3 2018 Trailer (What Changed?)

Knavvery

I rewatched the E3 trailer and I happened upon a discussion in the comments about how the technical aspects of the game had changed (Mercedes' hair color, gambit animation, Edelgard's VA, the Monastery, etc.) but what really interests me is the story changes. Someone mentioned that the lyrics in Edge of Dawn had changed from "born as time betrays" to "knowing time betrays". And of course, the most blatant difference, that ending when Edelgard says "I will return here some day, my teacher. Promise me...that you won't forget me." is nowhere in the released ver. 

Any ideas?

I attribute changes to the original trailer as a proof of concept trailer. Just showing the idea of the rather than actual gameplay. I assume there have been re writes changing certain aspects to the story. Perhaps between the first and second trailer Koei Tecmo entered development in that stage to help IS make the game faster. For some of the changed I can understand why they were made. Hilda had a portrait rework I guess to make her less of a bratty child. Ashe may or may not have been a member of the Golden Deer, but he would been overshadow by all the other archers in that group. 

30 minutes ago, Knavvery said:

I rewatched the E3 trailer and I happened upon a discussion in the comments about how the technical aspects of the game had changed (Mercedes' hair color, gambit animation, Edelgard's VA, the Monastery, etc.) 

It wasn't just the animation; it was an entirely different mechanic that revolved around formations. But it got too complicated, so they changed it to battalions. I honestly would like to see them give formations another try in a later game. 

32 minutes ago, Knavvery said:

Someone mentioned that the lyrics in Edge of Dawn had changed from "born as time betrays" to "knowing time betrays".

How did they hear that?! With every other noise being made at that point, including Edelgard yelling over the song, "So take your first step; it's now or never!", it's almost impossible to hear the latter half of the lyrics. 

17 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

It wasn't just the animation; it was an entirely different mechanic that revolved around formations. But it got too complicated, so they changed it to battalions. I honestly would like to see them give formations another try in a later game. 

How did they hear that?! With every other noise being made at that point, including Edelgard yelling over the song, "So take your first step; it's now or never!", it's almost impossible to hear the latter half of the lyrics. 

It's at 1:45 in the trailer. It might be a little hard to hear, but I think "born" and "knowing" sound just different enough that you can pick it up.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Maybe originally Edelgard didn't declare war at chapter 11, but only sometime after the graduation?

Seconding this. It sounds like they had a "timeskip" in mind from early on (whether that included 5 years unconsciousness, IDK). Maybe Edelgard graduated and planned to invade in the future? Or maybe she attempted something against the Church, failed, and either retreated to the Empire or left as a fugitive?

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

What is the differences between formations and Gambit's?

6 hours ago, Knavvery said:

And of course, the most blatant difference, that ending when Edelgard says "I will return here some day, my teacher. Promise me...that you won't forget me." is nowhere in the released ver. 

Any ideas?

I feel like IS initially planned to make Silver Snow the canon/most important route...

2 hours ago, Lord Otto said:

What is the differences between formations and Gambit's?

I don't know too many specifics, since they only showed it the once and most of the info about it was from... (what's that magazine called that reveals a whole bunch of info about upcoming FE games?), but, from what I recall, it was basically going to have it that the squad could change their formation to do different things. Instead, it was simplified so each group could only do the one thing. I'm probably not explaining it very well, but that's because I'm largely going by what I can remember (and quickly find online written by other people largely working from memory).

On 1/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, iavasechui said:

It would have been cool if say each unit led their own squad and could change the formation of that squad based on their authority level and the classes they unlocked.

Ohhh this is a good idea! What if they could change the formation to be more defense or offensive, or maybe to help out another unit in need?  I guess that kind of translates into the game through adjutants, but it would still be pretty cool regardless!

A small minor change from the E3 2018 trailer to the released 2019 game is Mercedes hair changed color from Dark brown to a more lighter brown (basically her hair was deep brunette color.. I actually noticed that when looking through the old trailer for fun.)