The first FE character you have taken a liking to

Stroud

With Fire Emblem we all had our first game. And I would not say all but many of us had their first crush in Fire Emblem. May it be the first unit which granted you success and did very good on the first playthrough. the writing about the character or the design.

So I will start with mine. Unlikely to what characters I am boasting around now it was Guy from Blazing Blade.

Guy was the first Fire Emblem character I truly liked and I still remember after all those years with Blazing Blade as my first Fire Emblem game he was a unit I had a lot of fun with. At those times I greatly preferred to use Myrmidons. I liked quick characters with a good Dodge rate and the Special animation they had was engraved. With Guy as one of my first units to fulfill that he has quite some place. Additionally I really liked his design, a guy with long green hair and a quick swordfighter? I was down with it.

Sometimes taste in characters changes and you are getting to like other characters more, or they still have a special place in you. So for this thread it's nice to just remember what you liked first. But still I remember that he was the first character which I had taken a liking to and took great care of in my first playthrough. 

Edited by Stroud

Dieck for being the first really competent unpromoted character I came across with the smug attitude to the GBA merc animations helping that. Add to that him being a pretty cool character once you get into his supports and you get the idea.

I think Priscilla was the first Fire Emblem character I remember really taking a liking to, because, although I did have a guide to the game, I actually found Priscilla all by myself. I found her class for myself, too, since Troubadours don't otherwise appear until Chapter 16x/17x at the earliest. I thought she was really cool, and I'll admit I did have a bit of a crush on her as a little kid, back when I was actually younger than she's supposed to be

I bet mine is pretty obvious. Lewyn just hit all the right buttons for me. He is interesting, aloof, uses wind magic, and is absurdly strong, especially for a mage. His ridiculous speed stat had me using him basically as a dodge tank that could nuke anyone he fought. Plus hes adorable. 

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

Guy was the first Fire Emblem character I truly liked and I still remember after all those years with Blazing Blade as my first Fire Emblem game he was a unit I had a lot of fun with. At those times I greatly preferred to use Myrmidons. I liked quick characters with a good Dodge rate and the Special animation they had was engraved. With Guy as one of my first units to fulfill that he has quite some place. Additionally I really liked his design, a guy with long green hair and a quick swordfighter? I was down with it.

Dodge-tanks were so much better in the GBA games with the 2RN system.  If they had implemented it in Weeb Emblem (Fates) then characters like Hana wouldn't feel so useless.  I do wish they'd bring back the 2RN system so that dodge-tanks could be viable again.  I like watching units just matrix-dodge a swarm of enemy attacks.

On topic...

Man, I don't remember.  I feel like I'm a very different person than I was back when I played Awakening 5-6 years ago.  The first character I S-supported in that game was Sumia, but I don't even know if I actually had a crush on her or anything.

If it was anyone from Awakening, it would more than likely have been Lucina.  I liked her even before I played Awakening.  But the first character I remember that I really took a liking to was Mozu in Fates, because she's an adorable country bumpkin who's always trying her best and, by my reckoning, has no bad supports.  Then of course there was the 'Boro who appeared shortly after my avatar married Mozu (this was back when I was really into the grinding element of newer FE games), but I never stopped liking Mozu.

Mine might be kinda on the uncreative side, but Lyn was honestly my very first favorite character. I think it's mostly the age I was at when I first played Blazing Blade (also my first FE title), and the fact that she addresses the tactician the most in the game, that made me feel so strongly about her and her story.

Edited by DancingDanny

my first FE game was Blazing Sword, and the character i almost immediately fell in love with was Erk

i don't know how to explain it, he felt so different from the other characters, yet so... normal

yeah, he seemed to me like the most normal dude in the cast, also his introduction with serra was adorable, and he was a mage... i just love mages

so yeah, definitely Erk

Edited by Yexin

I have to say Cormag he just hit home with me on my first play through and he ended up being my best flying unit since peg knights hate me every single time I use them.  I also liked Seth and Joshua, but Cormag won out.  He is still in my top 5 favorites, but not number 1.

Edited by EricaofRenais

My first Fire Emblem was Path of Radiance. And since I like almost the entire Tellius cast (it has the best overall cast), Ike would end up being the first character I liked, then Oscar, and Shinon.

If we're talking about first favorite character, that would probably be Zihark. He really resonates with me.

My first Fire Emblem was Fates, and the character I resonated the most with is Felicia, if you hadn't already gathered that. I've always had a thing for cute, clumsy people, but a few things made me like Felicia more. She's a genuine hard worker, has a great personality with more layers than the rest of Fates cast (she isn't the deepest character out there, but it's enough for me), and maid is obviously a big plus. She also made me realize that despite thinking it looks terrible in real life, pink hair is the best hair color.

She's also not a half-bad unit. She's technically a prepromote (hey look at me, avoiding pitfalls), pretty good with staves, and daggers are a neat weapons. Obviously you should reclass her, but I didn't think she'd be good in any other class, at least in my original playthrough. Just a fun unit overall.

I've moved beyond Fates, and most of what I originally liked about it has faded upon playing other entries that do what it set out to do better, but the one thing that still gleams in the night sky is Felicia, and some of Conquest's map design. But more importantly Felicia.

My first Fire Emblem game was Shadow Dragon on the DS. The first character I liked was Marth, and the first unit I liked was Abel. Since that time I've obviously played more FE games, and my favorites have shuffled around a bit, but Marth was always the very first.

The first characters I really took a liking to were Florina and Eliwood. Oddly enough, I lost Florina in the first chapter she showed up in, but because she only retreated, I ended up liking her anyway. Replays only made me like her all the more. Then there's the first game that got me hooked hard on the franchise, Awakening. The first couple characters that endeared themselves to me began with Lissa, as she was overall just sweet and compassionate. Then there was Nowi, who I mostly just felt sorry for, especially after learning her backstory. Then there was Cynthia. Her supports were all funny, and overall just a funny unit. 

Edit: I almost forgot Mozu. She's just such an all around good person who always tries to be as helpful as possible.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

Technically Robin, Chrom, and Fredrick from the Fire Emblem Awakening demo. It's a short scene, but I did like how none of the characters immediately jumped to trusting Robin nor did they needlessly treat him as an enemy, all while pointing out both cliques without coming off as pretentious or fourth wall breaking. I actually think that pointing out cliques without falling into them is a strength of Awakenings writing that I don't see discussed much, if at all.

As for the game proper, I would say Stahl. Being in a good class most certainly helped, but I really did enjoy his friendly and helpful personality, and how differently he aided others in his supports. It helped that most of his humorous scenes were his own fault rather than pranks by the person he's supporting, and having a guaranteed happy marriage no matter his partner earned him quite a few points in my book. Genuinely wishing to help others to the best of their abilities is a quick way to get me to like a character, and to this day he remains my favorite Fire Emblem character.

Panne caught me off guard by appearing out of nowhere, but in a way that was memorable. I wasn't expecting the game to have anything more than pegasus knights and dragons as fictional creatures, and then BAM! It turns out this game has shapeshifters! And while the clique of "last of their kind" has been done before, it did get me interested in the backstory of the Taguel, and while it's a pain in the butt to find, I do enjoy the decent amount of lore they get.

Zelgius, specifically the Radiant Dawn version. Great theme song, overpowered and a great design, but mostly I liked him story-wise. He was a character I always felt sympathy for, though I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers. Oh, and I shipped him with Micaiah, and still do. 

It's been many years since I told the story of how Lute became my favorite unit ever on these forums, so here I go again. My first FE game was FE7, but I was such an idiot back then I couldn't even get through the first few chapters. My second FE game was FE6, which ended similarly with me dropping it after being too dumb to get through the first chapter. A while later I got bored enough to try FE8, an easier game yet I still struggled. Just as I was about to give up on this game as well, chapter 4 presented me with my first mage. What I remember most was loving her sprite and combat animations, and Lute's personality really grew on me. I had to keep playing to get to know her better, and I got better at the game. I worked my way through 6 and 7 after 8 and got addicted to the series. I got a wii just for RD, and PoR after that. Eventually bought a 3DS for awakening, and last year I bought a Switch for which my only game is still 3H. All thanks to Lute and I will always love her for that. =3

10 hours ago, whase said:

It's been many years since I told the story of how Lute became my favorite unit ever on these forums, so here I go again. My first FE game was FE7, but I was such an idiot back then I couldn't even get through the first few chapters. My second FE game was FE6, which ended similarly with me dropping it after being too dumb to get through the first chapter. A while later I got bored enough to try FE8, an easier game yet I still struggled. Just as I was about to give up on this game as well, chapter 4 presented me with my first mage. What I remember most was loving her sprite and combat animations, and Lute's personality really grew on me. I had to keep playing to get to know her better, and I got better at the game. I worked my way through 6 and 7 after 8 and got addicted to the series. I got a wii just for RD, and PoR after that. Eventually bought a 3DS for awakening, and last year I bought a Switch for which my only game is still 3H. All thanks to Lute and I will always love her for that. =3

I would say that Lute is a great character in FE8 which is the first mage in the game , and I also liked her style and battle animations since FE8 was the first FE game I've ever played , but I would say she isn't my favorite one , because Ephraim took all my attention with his awesome skills and animations in his first appearance in the castle of grado. So I really like your taste cause I also love mages more than any class :P.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:44 AM, Hawkwing said:

Technically Robin, Chrom, and Fredrick from the Fire Emblem Awakening demo.

As for the game proper, I would say Stahl. Being in a good class most certainly helped, but I really did enjoy his friendly and helpful personality, and how differently he aided others in his supports. It helped that most of his humorous scenes were his own fault rather than pranks by the person he's supporting, and having a guaranteed happy marriage no matter his partner earned him quite a few points in my book. Genuinely wishing to help others to the best of their abilities is a quick way to get me to like a character, and to this day he remains my favorite Fire Emblem character.

Wow. That is so similar to my story, though I singled out Frederick due to his sheer power, versatility, sculpted features, and personality. Then, something about those hearts told me I had to stand next to Frederick in combat. Virion was also nice, but when I finally got Awakening as a birthday present and met Stahl, it was love at first sight. In my first playthrough (of any Fire Emblem), we actually got married before Chrom.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

Selena from FE8. 

There was just something about her character that I really liked when I first saw her. I guess it was the fact she was a "bad guy", and yet she didn't seem like one at all, or at least she didn't act like one. And as I played more of FE8, I only grew to like her character more.

I was heart broken when I had to fight her, and I still wish there was a way you could have recruited her. 

Chrom

Awakening was my first FE after my friend who liked the series convinced me to play it. All it took was the whole "There are better places to take a nap than the ground, you know" scene and his goofy smile in the cutscene with Validar. As I kept going with the game I just liked him more and more for his character (I'm a sucker for the lord characters in this series) and since he was easily my best character bc I overleveled him a lot (didn't really know what I was doing then).

On 1/13/2020 at 5:01 AM, Rosalina said:

Mia for looking supercute but also badass for wielding large swords. 

This, basically.
My first game was Path of Radiance and I distinctly remember taking an immediate liking to Mia.

That, by the way, has not changed to this day. She's still one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

Anna was definitely the first one that really caught my eye. I really liked her back when I first played Awakening, and at the time I knew about her long-running appearances in the series, so I sorta just went with it. I still really like Awakening Anna even if she's not my favorite anymore.

I guess I should mention Ophelia for really being the first character I really liked that ended up actually sticking for a long time. Marianne overtook for like, a couple months during the start of 3H's launch before I went back on the decision.