DNA Test

XRay

I thought about getting DNA test for fun. Although my parents claim to be ethnically Han, my father is not so sure about it on his family's side since our family tree gets cut off after a few generations back when we trace it patrilineally. He assumes that we may have Mongol or Manchurian blood since a lot of the males on my father's side of the family are very hairy, especially me and my uncle. Since we do not know, my dad thinks our ancestor could be anything from a criminal, a corrupt official, a disgraced noble, etc. Basically anyone on the run trying to hide their identity for fear of execution. So that means deducing ethnicity via family name would not work either since we are not sure if it has been changed.

Then I saw this video today about how vague and inaccurate DNA tests really are. I think I am content with assuming my ancestor is a Wookie smuggler on the run.

Yeah I don't trust these that much.  I kind of want to do one if I could believe it would be accurate.  I know I am an eighth Lithuanian and my great grand mother was Mexican, but who knows on the rest of me.  I always call myself a mutt since I don't know for sure what peoples I am related to.  

Even if they're not entirely accurate, it's always fun to look at these things.

I've known my family was made up of German, Portuguese, Spanish (Spain and Mexico), and Russian ethnicities, but I was really surprised at how little Portuguese this test said we were and how much Native Mexican I apparently had (Native Sonoran to be specificm -- I don't have a lot, but since I'm pretty much a mutt, it was my 4th biggest ethnicity). I definitely had what my father had (who took the test the year before), but I was still surprised at what percentages I got from him.

I think you should do it. You may have some other ethnic Chinese group that may not be Han at all! Could be interesting to see.

13 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Yeah I don't trust these that much.  I kind of want to do one if I could believe it would be accurate.  I know I am an eighth Lithuanian and my great grand mother was Mexican, but who knows on the rest of me.  I always call myself a mutt since I don't know for sure what peoples I am related to.  

You can start your own ethnic group, just like how we come up with new breeds of dogs all the time. It does not matter that others do not recognize it. Once you populate the world more, your descendants will make others recognize it.

I call myself Caramel, because my skin turns darker during the summer, although I guess that is the same for a lot of other people too. However, no one I know has claimed to be Caramel, so I am taking that ethnic name for myself.

7 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Maybe you're Nurhaci's long lost relative.

Rulers sleep around a lot, so I would not be surprised if most of the world's population has some familial relationship to some sort of historical aristocrat or noble. Genghis Khan fucked around like crazy, so I think a good fraction of mainland Asians are descendants of him.

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Even if they're not entirely accurate, it's always fun to look at these things.

The whole point of why I wanted to pay to do it was for the accuracy. If it is just for fun, I rather just do that for free by expanding on my father's theories.

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I think you should do it. You may have some other ethnic Chinese group that may not be Han at all! Could be interesting to see.

With so many minorities being forced to assimilate, the Han genepool is basically a mutt genepool now, so I am sure most Han who undergo a DNA test will show that they have genes from other ethnicities. I will ask if my dad really wants to do it, even though their guess is no better than ours.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:56 PM, Corrobin said:

I just took a DNA test, turns out, I'm 100% That Bitch.

Take my non existant money.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:37 AM, XRay said:

Genghis Khan fucked around like crazy, so I think a good fraction of mainland Asians are descendants of him.

He also lowered the greenhouse gases because he killed so many people. He was a madlad.