Talk about IT'S BYLETH, STOP MAKING THREADS in Smash here

Parrhesia

polls are fun  

87 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think, the readership

• I love Byleth!
    • I love Byleth, but not here!
    • What the fuck!

There have already been four threads in the wrong subforums. It will dominate the main thread. Talk here instead.

Keep salt to a minimum, or else.

Edited by Parrhesia

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if on the very rare chance I buy Smash U, it just isn't for me in general- no interest in playing online how it is different from the CPU except harder? no local friends- then I'll be able to skip wave 1 DLC. DQ Hero alone wouldn't make it worth it, B-K is semi-interesting to me, but they're an old friend I haven't seen since I was 10, and I don't have a great desire to reconnect.

Though to make it clear, I'm not angry at Byleth or anything, CDE wouldn't have done anything for me either. I'm someone who knows who wouldn't interest me, but I can't think of almost anyone who would excite me.

I wanted Three Houses in Smash Bros., and I wanted Byleth, but not like this...

I was hoping Byleth would be in the background like Pokémon Trainer, with Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude doing the fighting, as that would better represent Three Houses. They even teased it with Byleth's idea after being overwhelmed being to summon help in the form of something red, something blue, and something yellow... but then it turned out to just be their Hero's Relics.

It doesn't even make sense; Byleth should've turned into a Demonic Beast after daring to use even one of those three weapons without the right Crest. 

EDIT: And Byleth even had Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude color palettes! Why must he troll me like this?!

Edited by vanguard333

Just now, vanguard333 said:

I was hoping Byleth would be in the background like Pokémon Trainer, with Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude doing the fighting, as that would better represent Three Houses. They even teased it with Byleth's idea after being overwhelmed being to summon help in the form of something red, something blue, and something yellow... but then it turned out to just be their Hero's Relics.

It doesn't even make sense; Byleth should've turned into a Demonic Beast after daring to use even one of those three weapons without the right Crest. 

Wich could have been a cool final smash tho.

Edited by Flere210

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

EDIT: And he even had Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude color palettes! Why must he troll me like this?!

That's a story mechanic, sure, but its only ramifications on gameplay are "character cannot use unique combat art and takes damage after combat."

And if you have the crest stone, you can use the weapon. So let us assume that Byleth does have the crest stones. 

Also, Aymr isn't a true Hero's Relic.

I’m kind of neutral on Byleth but I like how they gave him multiple different weapons + he’s the only 3H character + Sothis FS make me kind of tempted to get Byleth. Do I need to buy an entire pass or can I just get him?

Edited by Strullemia

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

EDIT: And he even had Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude color palettes! Why must he troll me like this?!

If memory serves, you can wield a relic fine without the right crest, so long as you have A crest. No crest At all means demonic beast.

Sigh...

Yet another male-default avatar character. I'm losing track at this point.

And yet the character doesn't even look very unique. Everything I saw basically looked like slower versions of things other characters already do.

Oh well.

I haven't seen it yet myself so I'll refrain from giving my thoughts on his gameplay but with the way the trailer is being described it sounds like Sakurai was out to troll lol.

I don't mind the Byleths being included, would have preferred Claude, Dimitri or even Sothis (edgelord stay out) but I'm glad 3H got rep.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

Sigh...

Yet another male-default avatar character. I'm losing track at this point.

And yet the character doesn't even look very unique. Everything I saw basically looked like slower versions of things other characters already do.

Oh well.

Look, I get that you have a thing about female representation, but female Byleth is a thing, and she's very popular. 

As for "yet another," general consensus is that Corrin is a female default avatar. She's certainly the version of Corrin that is put front and center in outside promotions and crossovers. "Yet another" doesn't apply if this is only the 2nd instance.

Well I would have prefer Edelgard but Byleth seems to have an interesting moveset. Insane how many peoples were disappointed and spamming the youtube video but there is six characters coming, so guess it'll be fine. 

Just now, Etheus said:

Look, I get that you have a thing about female representation, but female Byleth is a thing, and she's very popular. 

Yeah, exactly, "a thing." She's the alternate, the extra, the "here, now stop complaining." What do you see on the character selection screen? Male Byleth. How will people continue to talk about the character? He/him. Female Byleth might not even get an amiibo.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

As for "yet another," general consensus is that Corrin is a female default avatar. She's certainly the version of Corrin that is put front and center in outside promotions and crossovers. "Yet another" doesn't apply if this is only the 2nd instance.

Pft. Laughable. This only applies for Warriors, and even that screwed it up in the end. What you say is false, and if you believe it, you're not paying proper attention. "General consensus" means nothing if it's not reflected, and I still see male Corrin's dumb face on the selection screen.

I will say this though, if they added the other 3 lords signature relics, why didn't they make them alts for Byleth? That would've been a neat way to add them all without going through the effort of creating an entirely new moveset for each.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

I’m honest to god laughing at this. In the entire pass we get nothing but highly requested but completely unexpected third party reps so then what do they do for the final fighter? The complete fucking opposite!! We never saw it coming and that’s honestly hilarious to me. The kings of left field strike yet again

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

Yeah, exactly, "a thing." She's the alternate, the extra, the "here, now stop complaining." What do you see on the character selection screen? Male Byleth. How will people continue to talk about the character? He/him. Female Byleth might not even get an amiibo.

Pft. Laughable. This only applies for Warriors, and even that screwed it up in the end. What you say is false, and if you believe it, you're not paying proper attention. "General consensus" means nothing if it's not reflected, and I still see male Corrin's dumb face on the selection screen.

A thing is not derogatory in the context presented, and I would appreciate it if you did not interpret it as such.

Fact of the matter is that female Byleth isn't just there to silence complaints. She's important. A lot of resources go into making a full character model with a unique animation suite, costumes, etc.

Moreover, one could argue that she is more important than the female versions of Robin or Corrin, because gender selection is literally the only aspect of Byleth that defines them as an avatar. No further customization is available. Without female Byleth, male Byleth is just a lord, and vice versa.

You can disagree with Corrin all you want. Opinions are going to differ, and just because you don't see it reflected doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

This isn't to say that Byleth was the best choice for a male or a female rep. I was personally backing Edelgard as a Three Houses solo rep, or the full Pokemon trainer treatment to please everyone.

Edited by Etheus

There are some interesting points and is probably a great topic about whether or not there is a default gender for Byleth and it would be a new thread in the FE16 board, not here.

26 minutes ago, Etheus said:

That's a story mechanic, sure, but its only ramifications on gameplay are "character cannot use unique combat art and takes damage after combat."

Then how come Byleth didn’t take any damage after using them?

Anyway, even if we assume he does have the Creat Stones, I still think it should’ve been the House Leaders using their Hero’s Relics.

28 minutes ago, Dai said:

If memory serves, you can wield a relic fine without the right crest, so long as you have A crest. No crest At all means demonic beast.

I distinctly remember one of Linhardt’s supports involves him being curious what would happen if he used someone else’s relic, as he has a Crest but not the right Crest, but essentially gets convinced to be better safe than sorry. 

26 minutes ago, Florete said:

Oh well.

That was my main concern about Byleth being in Smash before it was announced; that a lot of what he does would just be a rehash. That’s the reason I wanted the House Leaders to do the fighting and have Byleth be in the background instructing them.

13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’m honest to god laughing at this. In the entire pass we get nothing but highly requested but completely unexpected third party reps so then what do they do for the final fighter? The complete fucking opposite!! We never saw it coming and that’s honestly hilarious to me. The kings of left field strike yet again

And yet, unlike his usual surprises, it manages to be disappointing for me. 

9 minutes ago, Etheus said:

This isn't to say that Byleth was the best choice for a male or a female rep. I was personally backing Edelgard as a Three Houses solo rep, or the full Pokemon trainer treatment to please everyone.

Same; particularly the latter.

On the plus side, I think they did a great job with making the monastery into a stage.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Then how come Byleth didn’t take any damage after using them?

Anyway, even if we assume he does have the Creat Stones, I still think it should’ve been the House Leaders using their Hero’s Relics.

I distinctly remember one of Linhardt’s supports involves him being curious what would happen if he used someone else’s relic, as he has a Crest but not the right Crest, but essentially gets convinced to be better safe than sorry. 

That was my main concern about Byleth being in Smash before it was announced; that a lot of what he does would just be a rehash. That’s the reason I wanted the House Leaders to do the fighting and have Byleth be in the background instructing them.

And yet, unlike his usual surprises, it manages to be disappointing for me. 

Same; particularly the latter.

On the plus side, I think they did a great job with making the monastery into a stage.

Because self-damage isn't a fun mechanic in a fighting game, and it only exists on Pichu to balance their hitbox? And like I said. If he/she has the crest stone, no self damage. 

If he/she does not have the crest stone, just assume that the Crest of Flames is healing that damage in equal measure.

Anyway, is Byleth dropping today, given the in-depth reveal, or what?

Byleth feels like a step down from the other dlc characters. Before him characters were from new series. He is another in a trend of Fire Emblem avatar characters with sword. Tough after Corrin. At least more dlc characters are coming on the horizon.

I'm completely okay with this. I'm not gonna main him just cause he doesn't match my playstyle but I'm super happy that I get to see Ingrid and Petra in the background of Garreg Mach, and the Gatekeeper, and that I get to listen to all the great music from the game in smash. 

Think what you will about the amount of FE characters in smash, but I think that 3 Houses deserves this. It's been a huge success as a game. 

14 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Because self-damage isn't a fun mechanic in a fighting game, and it only exists on Pichu to balance their hitbox? And like I said. If he/she has the crest stone, no self damage. 

If he/she does not have the crest stone, just assume that the Crest of Flames is healing that damage in equal measure.

Anyway, is Byleth dropping today, given the in-depth reveal, or what?

The twenty-eighth. Also, in-game, you don't take damage so long as you have A Crest. You just don't get bonus effects.

If Byleth was going to be in, this is about what I expected, even if I also hoped for more presence of the House Leaders. Still, I figured it unfortunately wasn't in the cards.

On the whole, I'm happy about Byleth here - I just wonder how I'll adjust to playing with Byleth now that I finally got used to Corrin.

But! One singular thing does disappoint me...

No God-Shattering Star

Why Sakurai did you deprive us of the epicness?

But eh - that omission aside I'm pretty happy to be honest.