Parrhesia

polls are fun  

87 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think, the readership

• I love Byleth!
    • I love Byleth, but not here!
    • What the fuck!

16 minutes ago, Dai said:

The twenty-eighth. Also, in-game, you don't take damage so long as you have A Crest. You just don't get bonus effects.

I guess I'll consider it a late birthday present, lol.

But for my part, I'm overjoyed to get Three Houses soundtrack in Smash. I can't wait to Smash to God Shattering Star. And the first true canon FE Smash map. (And don't say Arena Ferox, the name is window dressing at best). 

Edit:

Wait, God Shattering Star isn't in? What the fuck? That's like adding in Persona 5 without Rivers in the Desert or Shrek without 32 remixes of Holding Out for a Hero!

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m genuinely excited for Byleth, at least the female one hehe. The prior four DLC additions left little personal impact on me due to a lack of connection and familiarity... in other words I was completely indifferent. Baeleth was someone I actually wanted from the beginning though, so I’m quite psyched with her inclusion. Yeah, I’m going to deal with a ton of salt elsewhere, but that’s on those manbabies.

I’m also glad FE got an actual stage that isn’t some generic location and actually reflects on the game they reperesent (no Arena Ferox doesn’t count it’s just a reskinned Coliseum). 

I'm so happy Byleth is going to be in smash! 

And it would had bugged me if one of the lords made it, while the other two didn't. So in a way, I'm glad Byleth was chosen. 

All i wanted from FP 5 was a female character it didnt mater who it was, and with Byleth i got what i wanted! Well kinda lol

El!Byleth and Dimitri!Byleth looks Great!

Sothis!Byleth makes Colors 7 and 8 a huge WASTE! It should've been Rhea and Jeralt.

And 3 lords spirits promote into Time Skip versions which is neat.

Edited by User name

Should have been Edelgard, would have also been hyped for Dimitri or Claude. As I watched the trailer I desperately even hoped it was Sothis, who I never considered but would have been cool. Byleth is such a boring choice. Brings nothing new and has to steal weapons from better characters.

Edit: on the positive side, I like the stage, the character cameos (gatekeeper is officially in Smash), and the music. Sothis memeing too many swordsmen was great too.

Edited by Book Bro

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Anyone mind uploading the Byleth colors? I'd love to see them.

Please and thank you.

Sorry it took a while. The usual method I'd do isn't working, so I scoured Twitter.

Spoiler

EOab59wWoAEugQm?format=jpg&name=large

EOas_2aUcAAKAdj?format=jpg&name=large

EOas_eYVAAEJ7y2?format=jpg&name=large

EOaYUOtWoAEufwB?format=jpg&name=medium

EOaIPk4U4AANzxs?format=jpg&name=large

No Enlightened One alts, simply because the hair is literally all that's different from what I can see, but the rest have subtle differences, such as Sothis' palette lacking stockings, and Edelgard's having gloves.

I am disappointed with Byleth's inclusion, but at the end of the day, I'm just whatever since I have Banjo and that's all that matters to me at this point really. With that said, I am annoyed that our first party character of this Fighter Pass is yet another Fire Emblem character. Like, I wouldn't be so annoyed with it if it wasn't for the fact that there are several other Nintendo franchises that are way overdue for a new character like Zelda and Kirby. And even with them giving Byleth all of the lords' relics, I still find him to be a very dull inclusion compared to the other house leaders. I feel like if they switched the reveal order and had Byleth as the third DLC character after Hero and saved Banjo for last, then there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash over Byleth's inclusion, cuz revealing Byleth as the last Fighter Pass character after someone like Banjo and Terry is the definition of underwhelming.

Side note, I also find it to be an unholy sin that we don't have God Shattering Star among the Three Houses songs in Smash.

19 minutes ago, Dai said:

Sorry it took a while. The usual method I'd do isn't working, so I scoured Twitter.

Hide contents

No Enlightened One alts, simply because the hair is literally all that's different from what I can see, but the rest have subtle differences, such as Sothis' palette lacking stockings, and Edelgard's having gloves.

Does male not get red and female not get blue and yellow?

Anyway, thanks. I'm digging the yellow. Having gauntlets match the sword is nice.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Does male not get red and female not get blue and yellow?

Anyway, thanks. I'm digging the yellow. Having gauntlets match the sword is nice.

No, they just get the mint-green hair. I think they wanted male and female to match the same-gendered characters as well.

I personally favor Edelgard's color scheme, even though I tend to abhor red. I might use that if I don't stick with Sothis.

33 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Should have been Edelgard, would have also been hyped for Dimitri or Claude. As I watched the trailer I desperately even hoped it was Sothis, who I never considered but would have been cool. Byleth is such a boring choice. Brings nothing new and has to steal weapons from better characters.

Edit: on the positive side, I like the stage, the character cameos (gatekeeper is officially in Smash), and the music. Sothis memeing too many swordsmen was great too.

I completely agree. It should’ve been Edelgard, Dimitri and/or Claude, and the fact that they felt they needed to give him other characters’ Hero’s Relics to complete his move set says a lot. 

The moment Sothis memed too many swordsmen and something red, something blue and something yellow was being summoned, I thought for sure that it would be the House Leaders instead of their weapons.

Something I just realized: where are the other three weapons whenever Byleth isn’t using them? Normally, I wouldn’t think about it, but considering how much emphasis is placed on Byleth having four weapons...

31 minutes ago, Dai said:

Hide contents

Another neat detail about the Edelgard alt is that it has purple eyes. 

While I’m more or less neutral about the Byleth inclusion, I can confirm that the Smash board on Gamefaqs is (predictably) more or less in a state of complete anarchy and chaos.

My personal favorite from what I’ve seen so far is this one guy who made a topic encouraging toxicity towards FE fans, then after that topic got rightfully nuked by a mod he made another topic complaining that FE fans can’t handle criticism.

I subject myself to that unholy cesspool so that none of the rest of you have to. That, and I kinda enjoy observing the abomination.

Edited by Tybrosion

7 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

While I’m more or less neutral about the Byleth inclusion, I can confirm that the Smash board on Gamefaqs is (predictably) more or less in a state of complete anarchy and chaos.

My personal favorite from what I’ve seen so far is this one guy who made a topic encouraging toxicity towards FE fans, then after that topic got rightfully nuked by a mod he made another topic complaining that FE fans can’t criticism.

I subject myself to that unholy cesspool so that none of the rest of you have to. That, and I kinda enjoy observing the abomination.

Smash fans do tend to be some of the worst in gaming, as do gamefaq's. It's no surprise that the two together are an abomination.

Also, I just watched the trailer and giggled uncontrollably. The fourth wall breaks and "too many swords" bits... he knows, and he did it anyway. 

Just now, Etheus said:

Also, I just watched the trailer and giggled uncontrollably. The fourth wall breaks and "too many swords" bits... he knows, and he did it anyway. 

Hanlon’s Razor: “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don’t rule out malice.”

I think a more accurate description in this case would be, “Never attribute to trolling that which can be adequately explained by ignorance, but don’t rule out trolling.” Sakurai; always trolling the fans...

My opinion on this is that I like the inclusion personally, if it wasn't going to be young tiki, I'll take byleth, I am not a fan of how he was included though, his lack of divine pulse is a massive waste if you ask me, otherwise I'm to the moveset, I admit this feels like a backhanded response to people who gave the usual too many swords crap and in some ways I think byleth suffered for it.

That aside I admit I am curious about other places but I think I already know how this is going over there, I mean he wasn't my first pick but good grief, the way some people are about things like this, I am curious how people will respond when pass 2 comes around and still no doomguy.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Hanlon’s Razor: “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don’t rule out malice.”

I think a more accurate description in this case would be, “Never attribute to trolling that which can be adequately explained by ignorance, but don’t rule out trolling.” Sakurai; always trolling the fans...

Let's call the new rule Solon's Razor.

Edited by Etheus

I've ragged on Byleth's moveset potential hard in the past. A "Simon Belmont but with a counter in place of projectiles", but I guess I didn't anticipate him stealing other people's weapons. Still I wish there was something really unique here. Especially when Sakurai brought up the many new gameplay mechanics of previous DLC fighters, Byleth's is...?

I know Byleth fans are getting a lot of hate right now, but even I could conceptualize something unique off the top of my head: For all of Byleth's whip sword attacks, allow him to turn it into a command grab extension if the player presses the attack button again during hitlag. Not only would this add an element of skill the player must master, but the grab variants would expand his moveset potential considerably. For instance grab variants leading to minor combo followups or juggle situations while sticking to the sword hit is ideal for kills or creating space. And since it requires a clean hit, there's no grabbing a blocking opponent. I think it could be interesting to have a long range grappler design in Smash.

Edited by Glennstavos