Talk about IT'S BYLETH, STOP MAKING THREADS in Smash here

Parrhesia

polls are fun  

87 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think, the readership

• I love Byleth!
    • I love Byleth, but not here!
    • What the fuck!

In regards to Byleth as a solo fighter, my inclination would have actually been on a full on berserker. Long ranged harassment with the sword of the creator, with a majority of the moveset being gap closers and close range brawling.

But in regards to how he came out, I'm pretty pleased. He looks fun. And very viable. All of the elements of a high tier, if not top tier character.

I lement the loss of a Counter, as I actually enjoy using them a LOT. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fighter I think Byleth will be fun to use his moveset is on the more unique site of the FE characters. As a character well yeah. Not spectacular, was also a bit on the expectation list for some, but that is how it has turned out. At least I can also relate why there is quite a dislike. But at Fighter Pass 2 won't go like this. I kind of expect a Pokemon hidden in Fighter Pass thanks to this though.

I might use him in future of course. And see how well I do with Byleth.

Edited by Stroud

32 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Let's call the new rule Solon's Razor.

Either that or Sakurai’s razor. But I think Solon’s razor should be, “Never flee when you can instead fight a hopeless battle against the person that escaped your death trap”. 

Edited by vanguard333

I am excited for Byleth, but I understand the disappointment for the character...

Having 4 3rd party characters, which started in an amazing way with Joker... To finish with a 1st party character, and also being a Fire Emblem character... it's kinda disappointing. But I looking forward to play as Byleth, and also to have Three Houses' amazing soundtrack in Smash.

Well at least I got three characters that liked in the first DLC pass, namely Joker, Hero and Banjo-Kazooie. I probably won't get the second pass, just because of this.

The only good thing about this, is that Cloud gets a break from being my whipping boy. That and whenever I pick Byleth's stage I'll only get to hear PoR and RD's music playing on it.

30 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Really, it's about time a FE rep used the weapon triangle.

There is no Weapon Triangle in Smash (outside Spirit Battles), just there's no Weapon Triangle in Three Houses.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

There is no Weapon Triangle in Smash (outside Spirit Battles), just there's no Weapon Triangle in Three Houses.

The Weapon Triangle has long been part of the FE identity, and will undoubtedly come back. Why do you think three of the legendary weapons are a sword, an axe, and a lance? Besides, just because the Weapon Triangle doesn't have an advantage cycle in TH doesn't mean it isn't still the Weapon Triangle. Whenever a FE fan refers to the Weapon Triangle, they're talking about swords, axes, and lances, advantage cycle or no. So yes, there is now a Weapon Triangle in Smash, thanks to Byleth. It's just ironic that the rep for one of the few FE games to not use the advantage cycle is the one to finally bring the Triangle into Smash as the focus of their moveset.

I've seen people in various places complaining that they were lied to because apparently we were told everyone in the fighter's pass would be from a new series. I thought people had eventually realized that Reggie said new to the series, not from new series, but I guess I overestimated the internet.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I am excited for Byleth, but I understand the disappointment for the character...

Having 4 3rd party characters, which started in an amazing way with Joker... To finish with a 1st party character, and also being a Fire Emblem character... it's kinda disappointing. But I looking forward to play as Byleth, and also to have Three Houses' amazing soundtrack in Smash.

I was excited when I saw Byleth, until I saw that he would be the one doing the fighting. I was hoping for Byleth to be Three Houses Trainer (Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude do the fighting).

2 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

So yes, there is now a Weapon Triangle in Smash, thanks to Byleth.

The Weapon Triangle is a mechanic that gives a user an advantage or disadvantage based on what weapon they are using depending on what their opponent is using. This doesn't happen within the context of Smash.

27 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The Weapon Triangle is a mechanic that gives a user an advantage or disadvantage based on what weapon they are using depending on what their opponent is using. This doesn't happen within the context of Smash.

Oh, really? Marth says otherwise.

But seriously though, just because the Weapon Triangle as a mechanic doesn't apply to Smash doesn't mean it isn't still part of the FE identity represented within. Pokemon Types don't matter in Smash either, yet that doesn't mean we don't have representatives of Electric, Normal, Fairy, Psychic, Grass, Poison, Fire, Water, Fighting, Steel, and Dark. The fact is that Byleth uses a sword, an axe, and a lance in their moveset, therefore the Weapon Triangle of Fire Emblem is represented in form if not function.

So, who wants to bet the Dimitri, Edelgard, and Claude Spirits will be repped by Byleth using the appropriate skin and attacks?

Edited by Lord_Brand

I would just like to create a list:

What we could've gotten from Edelgard:

• Basic Axe attacks: good might, small range
  • Reason Magic, including:
    1. Fire
    2. Bolganone
    3. Luna
    4. Hades
  • Lightning Axe

What we could've gotten from Dimitri:

• Basic Lance attacks
  • Tempest Lance
  • Glowing Ember
  • Atrocity

What we could've gotten from Claude:

• Basic Bow attacks
  • Curved Shot
  • Encloser
  • Fallen Star
  • A Bag of Tricks
  • A Wyvern

Now, imagine all three of these together, with Byleth in the background instructing. Just imagine what that could've been. 

1 minute ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

I've got the perfect idea for Classic Mode...

Smash House--Byleth fights a bunch of characters with connections to education or an academy (i.e. SS Link, Uniform Joker, Animal Crossing, Pit, Pokémon Trainer, Roy)

I've got a better idea.

Tea party mode. You know you want to sit down for a nice cup of Smash Berry Iced Tea with Bowser, Ridley, and Ganondorf.

I love how Byleth's plan after getting beaten up by all the other swordsmen was to turn into a girl. These devs know their material too well XD

Edited by X-Naut

7 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

I've got the perfect idea for Classic Mode...

Smash House--Byleth fights a bunch of characters with connections to education or an academy (i.e. SS Link, Uniform Joker, Animal Crossing, Pit, Pokémon Trainer, Roy)

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I've got a better idea.

Tea party mode. You know you want to sit down for a nice cup of Smash Berry Iced Tea with Bowser, Ridley, and Ganondorf.

I think I have an even better idea:

Smashing up the Monastery: 

Byleth fights other fighters based on different activities within and outside the monastery:

Isabelle: represents fishing

Kirby: represents dining

Olimar: represents Greenhouse

Lucina and Marth in Colisseum: represents tournaments

Uniform Joker: represents instructing

white-robed Robin: represents choir practice

Robin: represents the library

…I need someone who can represent Tea Party

Did I forget anything?

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I think I have an even better idea:

Smashing up the Monastery: 

Byleth fights other fighters based on different activities within and outside the monastery:

Isabelle: represents fishing

Kirby: represents dining

Olimar: represents Greenhouse

Lucina and Marth in Colisseum: represents tournaments

Uniform Joker: represents instructing

white-robed Robin: represents choir practice

Robin: represents the library

…I need someone who can represent Tea Party

Did I forget anything?

Peach represents tea party.

Swimsuit Shulk represents spa.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Obviously.

Well, in that case, let's also add Wario to the dining hall for more gluttony, Pit to the choir practice, and maybe add a battle against a Palutena that is replaced by a Giant (white) Charizard after defeat?

Oh wow, nice to see Byleth and Three Houses content in Smash Bros. Always figured they were a lock for the second batch of DLC but it's nice to see them now since I haven't been interested in Smash at all since Joker came out. I love how they have Byleth wield different weapons since I have always wanted a Fire Emblem character using a sword, lance and axe as part of their moveset (though I had a different character in mind to do that). Will definitely be playing Byleth in Smash once they come out since they have what I always wanted in a moveset for a Fire Emblem character. About the only thing I'm disappointed in is that there is no Star Shattering God in the song list but at least Apex of the World is there.

Ironically enough I was just thinking about when we would get a 3H rep; I was of course fantasizing about who it would be and imagined a pokemon trainer situation as mentioned if byleth had to be included and they wouldn't just straight up give me Dimitri (consistently voted most popular character, is a lance user, interesting possibilities for moveset like the crit animation of him just sending the lance FLYING into the ground, isnt a female rep yes but I'm willing to make an exception for him, etc). But I'm happy to see us have a rep at all, even if byleth was the most expected and boring choice. Cant be showing too much favoritism to any house I guess, but any of the three would've made for a more interesting pick; I suppose I'll have to be happy with the weapons in the moveset. Also, can we please for once show the female version of the avatar as being the main default pick? Just a thought.

Still though, I'm happy to have a dlc character I finally care something about; let the haters eat salt, 3H deserves a rep for selling amazingly well and doing much to bring the divided FE community together.

Or as I like to call it, the anti SwSh. 😛

yeah, not gonna lie, this kinda ruined my day, and probably the whole rest of the week, but hey, if you like this, more power to you

but hey, at least they released new official artworks for 3H, and Heroes is probably gonna celebrate Byleth's dlc with like 5 free orbs, also Rhea's hips alone are worth the price

so we have 6 more characters people can raise their expectations with, nice; i won't stop hoping for sora

also i am not mentioning how Rex was too late to join smash but Byleth wasn't, i swear i am no-

anyway yeah, deep inside i always knew another fe character would've been inevitable, i just didn't want to accept it

at least it happened now instead of later, so yeah... so yeah

Edited by Yexin