Talk about IT'S BYLETH, STOP MAKING THREADS in Smash here

Parrhesia

polls are fun  

87 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think, the readership

• I love Byleth!
    • I love Byleth, but not here!
    • What the fuck!

As much as I love Three Houses, I would've preferred... basically anyone over Byleth. I know they're our PoV character, but the fact that they're near-silent, in a world of fully-voiced characters, makes them feel much-less-realized to me. On top of that, they fit into the "blue-haired sword user" mould - fine when they have co-leads to play off of, but not so great when they're a sole representative.

Would've just adored Claude, Edelgard, or Seteth+Flayn, but... Sakurai gonna Sakurai.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Yexin said:

also i am not mentioning how Rex was too late to join smash but Byleth wasn't, i swear i am no-

Much as I'm happy with today's announcement (if not necessarily having to be stuck with byleth, but whatever) I would have been over the moon if they had announced Rex/Pyra. Recency bias at its finest I guess, but I dont believe it isnt deserved since FE3H has sold so well.

I'm still salty over what they did to us XC2 fans, but I'm very hopeful that the extra dlc slots will include people that sakurai wanted to include but didn't think would have time to complete. I believe the extra slots weren't planned on before ultimate sold well enough to merit it, so I would expect Rex to be a safe bet. My only worry, is if he doesnt make the cut and they push him back into the next smash game that he would have to compete with recency bias if the next Xenoblade game is out by then. Still, I have faith he and pyra will be in eventually.

The announcement left me whit a bad mood the whole day and for the first few hours i was too angry to give my two cents in a polite manner.

- i think JRPG pretty boys whit a sword is the single most overrepresented group in Smash, and i say so whit JRPG as my favourite genre.

- i think fire emblem has both too many characters relative to it's importance and badly chosen characters that does not reflect the variety among it's cast.

- i was expecting an hype monster. As much as i can be a Persona hater, i can't deny that Joker is indeed the hypest Atlus character. 

Byleth is the perfect storm of anything that i did not want out of a new smash character. I think that i never was so disappointed for something related to gaming,  at least not in the last few years. 

This times there were at least 3 alternatives. If they did the "one character whit all the relics" thing whit one of the 3 lords and gived them the moveset we saw(whit the neutrals changed) and made the main weapon of the model one of the other relics, i would have been happy whit the character. Instead, we still have mostly a sword user that happen to use other weapons in certain attacks. 

Am i overreacting? Yes i am, years of frustration over not having a spear user in smash made me have an hair trigger temper on the issue. An axe user i don't care nearly as much but would not bother me.

Edited by Flere210

1 hour ago, Silver Lightning said:

Ironically enough I was just thinking about when we would get a 3H rep; I was of course fantasizing about who it would be and imagined a pokemon trainer situation as mentioned if byleth had to be included and they wouldn't just straight up give me Dimitri (consistently voted most popular character, is a lance user, interesting possibilities for moveset like the crit animation of him just sending the lance FLYING into the ground, isnt a female rep yes but I'm willing to make an exception for him, etc). But I'm happy to see us have a rep at all, even if byleth was the most expected and boring choice. Cant be showing too much favoritism to any house I guess, but any of the three would've made for a more interesting pick; I suppose I'll have to be happy with the weapons in the moveset. Also, can we please for once show the female version of the avatar as being the main default pick? Just a thought.

Still though, I'm happy to have a dlc character I finally care something about; let the haters eat salt, 3H deserves a rep for selling amazingly well and doing much to bring the divided FE community together.

Or as I like to call it, the anti SwSh. 😛

As much as "another Fire Emblem rep" pisses off the haters, it would be downright wrong for us not to get one now.

The series deserves it now more than ever. Three Houses is the biggest game with the most cultural impact. Awakening may have made the franchise a major Nintendo IP, but Three Houses made it part of the cultural zeitgeist.

I can talk to random people, coworkers, and others who have never touched a previous entry and they'll be like "Three Houses? I love that game!"

It's the game that launched a billion memes. It's the game that won a player's choice award. It's the game that people got angry that it wasn't nominated for Game of the Year. It's glorious, and it deserves all of its success.

Edited by Etheus

Byleth is... okay, I guess? He was definitely not a top pick from me, but the moveset looks cool and has a nice variation from other FE characters with the multiple weapons.

It's just that, after four big 3rd party surprises, going back to Fire Emblem Avatar #3 (and Default Male AGAIN), really feels underwhelming by comparison.

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

also i am not mentioning how Rex was too late to join smash but Byleth wasn't, i swear i am no-

1 hour ago, Silver Lightning said:

Much as I'm happy with today's announcement (if not necessarily having to be stuck with byleth, but whatever) I would have been over the moon if they had announced Rex/Pyra. Recency bias at its finest I guess, but I dont believe it isnt deserved since FE3H has sold so well.

I'm still salty over what they did to us XC2 fans, but I'm very hopeful that the extra dlc slots will include people that sakurai wanted to include but didn't think would have time to complete. I believe the extra slots weren't planned on before ultimate sold well enough to merit it, so I would expect Rex to be a safe bet. My only worry, is if he doesnt make the cut and they push him back into the next smash game that he would have to compete with recency bias if the next Xenoblade game is out by then. Still, I have faith he and pyra will be in eventually.

At least XC2 fans got an expansion of the story, plenty of DLC, and Rex as a Mii Costume. You want to know what Nintendo has given to us XCX fans? Nada; zip, zilch. Be grateful you got that stuff. But yes, it must be absolutely terrible to see Nintendo give the cold shoulder to you guys like that (sarcasm). 

9 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Anyone else think Solon has found some redemption? He's always been a rather weak part of Three Houses but here they had some fun with the poor guy. Him making Smash references and staring in complete confusion worked quite well. 

Byleth just flies into the sunset and he's probably wondering how the hell he's going to explain this shit to Thales.

It was glorious.

Call me crazy, but Byleth has been the one and only DLC character thus far to actually make me feel excited! lol Maybe I'm just a decrepit old man, having played Nintendo's series including Fire Emblem all the way back to the days of the Famicon, but when I play Smash, it is the Nintendo characters that excite me and that I look forward to. I think the only third party character I really wished for at any point was Sonic (and Megaman to a lesser extent). My reactions to the DLC characters thus far went like: "Joker? A random character I have no connection to whose game hasn't even been on a Nintendo console? Meh." "Hero? You already know it is not a character of personal history when they are simply called 'Hero', but the games they're from are kind of good. It's the fact that they are a walking RNG lottery that makes this character stand out! lol An okay addition, but I'd still much prefer a first party character." "Banjo? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...  Way back in the day this would have been a dream... a dream I had long since buried and figured it better to forget due to the fact that it would just be an early reminder of how corporate greed is destined to ruin all of gaming... Bittersweet. I still would rather it be a first party character." "Terry? Isn't one/two fighting genre characters enough? I've played his games, but to me he is a distant character with little relevance these days. Another meh." At this point all hope for a Nintendo character is lost, thus I thought, "So who will this last character I do not care about be this time? Dante? Travis? L Block?..." The second I saw Byleth my Jaw dropped and I couldn't help but go, "Yes! Finally! A first party character! From a game I've put over a thousand hours into at that! The fact that it's a FE character is just the cherry on top! Hopes and dreams renewed! Life is good! Please let this be a sign of things to come!" All while bursting into uncontrollable laughter as I realized how salty all the people expecting the likes of Master Chief would end up being! 😂

As for the way Byleth was handled, I guess I like it overall. Giving him all the relics was one way to make a character representative of the series many signature weapons (instead of "just another swordsman"), kind of like how Robin was representative of the series durability system. I was kind of hoping that if Byleth was in, he'd have a gimmick revolving around hid Divine Pulse ability that he is known for which didn't end up happening. But this is still good enough for me.

Here's to hoping that fighter pass 2 can also end with yet another FE character! Then Sakurai could conclude it by saying, "The reason we did six this time is because we did not want to break what has become an important tradition: All waves of DLC are to end with a new Fire Emblem character!" 🤣

Funny enough, I was just looking back at the "Byleth, Edelgard or Neither" thread (which recently locked for obvious reasons), and the results of that poll were that more people thought Edelgard was more likely to be in Smash Bros. than Byleth. Ah, how funny that is in retrospect. 

they aren't funny, a lot of people voted edelgard and a lot of people are mad that it's not edelgard instead of byleth

the results just reflect reality

3 minutes ago, Integrity said:

they aren't funny, a lot of people voted edelgard and a lot of people are mad that it's not edelgard instead of byleth

the results just reflect reality

Well, when phrased like that they obviously aren't funny...

I haven't seen very many people say it should've been Edelgard specifically instead of Byleth; it's been an almost even split on which house leader people would've preferred over Byleth, and most seem to suggest more than one "I would've preferred [x] or [y]". 

Perhaps that should be a poll; either on this thread or a new one?

the thread would be essentially identical to a popularity poll on "which house did you pick first", because like five people would vote byleth

i'd wager almost everyone who voted byleth would have voted dimitri or claude depending on the person if all lords had been in

It's fine. Byleth is fine. Not my first choice for another Fire Emblem character Lyn upgraded to playable, when? but Byleth looks fun to use.

There aren't too many FE characters in Smash, nor are there too many swordsmen. 

Byleth's addition I think actually opens up the door to some good things. For one, we know now that there's a possibility of first-party content in the next Fighter Pass, so people who were hoping for someone like Dixie Kong can hope some more!

Fine with Byleth, I would've preferred any of the Three House leaders, but at least they look fun. Plus I'm happy to see Three Houses get some content in general so I do appreciate getting a stage and a few tracks.

God-Shattering Star being missing is a travesty though.

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I wanted Three Houses in Smash Bros., and I wanted Byleth, but not like this...

I was hoping Byleth would be in the background like Pokémon Trainer, with Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude doing the fighting, as that would better represent Three Houses. They even teased it with Byleth's idea after being overwhelmed being to summon help in the form of something red, something blue, and something yellow... but then it turned out to just be their Hero's Relics.

It doesn't even make sense; Byleth should've turned into a Demonic Beast after daring to use even one of those three weapons without the right Crest. 

EDIT: And Byleth even had Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude color palettes! Why must he troll me like this?!

I feel the reason why we didn't get that is because it would've been the equivalent of three characters like PT, and for DLC that may've been too demanding. It would've been a fun idea, but I can see why they opted for Byleth repping all four via their weapons then trying to make three different characters with limited amount of resources and time. 

So, first things first, I've actually been a little bit frustrated with how the Fighter Pass had been entirely third-party characters up until this point. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo and while a few guest fighters are fine, it really starts to dilute the appeal to me once you just keep pulling 'em in-- especially ones with zero connection to Nintendo like PAC-MAN, Cloud, Joker, Terry, and (loathe as I am to admit it) Snake. So Byleth immediately won points with me just for breaking that trend and actually reminding everyone that Nintendo and its subsidiaries do in fact have characters of their own.

Beyond that, Three Houses is a wonderful game that I personally wanted to see get into Ultimate. I don't really have much attachment to Byleth specifically, but they made the most sense as the character to represent it and with them comes a cool stage, cool music, and other assorted goodies.

Byleth's moveset incorporating the other Lords' Hero Relics is strange, but makes sense (in a way it's like playing as all four characters at once) and looks like a pretty solid and fun moveset to use; not too gimmicky like Hero or the Quarter-Circle Boys, whom I find somewhat awkward to just casually pick up and play.

The trailer itself is pretty funny, between Solon's confused exasperation and the cheeky nod at their own overabundance of swordsmen ("solved" by Byleth becoming a swordswoman).

However, the most important detail is that the Gatekeeper made it into Smash. That's all I could ever want.

The second most important detail, while irrelevant to Byleth, is that we can put the Cuphead head on Sans' body or the Sans head on Cuphead's body and create the most cursed Mii Fighters yet.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Time to whine~!

. . .just kidding!  I can't say I'm thrilled to see Yet Another Avatar in Smash.  But I'm hopeful that Byleth's fighting style will be unique enough such that he/she doesn't feel like another sword lord.

The stage looks good.  Love the nod to all the paths!

Well, the madman actually put Byleth in and addressed some memes while he was at it. Fire Emblem Heroes is considered a mainline game, by the way. And there was a random lesson on binary. Never change your trolling ways, Sakurai.

But seriously, we knew Byleth was getting in sooner or later, so I'm not surprised they decided to get it out of the way sooner. On the bright side, it eliminates them being a possibility for the next wave of DLC, so fans can worry less about another Fire Emblem rep. It also seems that Byleth appearing as the 5th fighter in the pass was more for development reasons than intentionally planning it that way, considering Three Houses only came out last year compared to every other character where from games that had been out for a while.

Still, you could tell they had fun making this presentation. Solon's growing confusion made me laugh, as did Sothis's unique comments. The only thing that would have made it better is if other fighters appeared out of the Smash logo in the sky, making Solon even more confused and wondering if his plan backfired on him big time. That, or if Galeems beam zapped him away while his jaw was on the floor. Sakurai also seemed enthusiastic about discussing Fire Emblem while trying to avoid spoilers, which helped make the presentation more fun to watch.

Anyway, Byleth! Not gonna lie that I did prefer the "pokemon trainer with the three lords" idea that has been discussed before on how to handle Byleth, but I don't mind their implementation here. Each weapon corresponding to a different direction is a nice detail, and while I don't see them becoming a "high tier" character or things like that, they still look fun to use. Garreg Mach being a stage is a neat idea, even if it does look to be on the simple side. I kinda want Three Houses DLC that deals with random fighters coming in and breaking the merchant stalls, tables, and chandeliers now.

Visually speaking, does anyone else think that Byleth and the other students look a bit... off? I can't tell if it's because most of what we saw appeared to be part of an earlier build when they still needed to clean up the models, or if I'm just not used to seeing Three Houses characters in HD. Similarly, Byleths final smash looks like Sothis is a .PNG file, and I can't tell if that's a placeholder or the final product. I'm far from saying that the models look terrible, I just find them a bit odd is all, and I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

All in all, this was an okay reveal that entertaining to watch because you knew the people behind it were deciding to have some fun and Sakurai clearly enjoyed talking about Fire Emblem, but there wasn't much else besides that.

3 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Visually speaking, does anyone else think that Byleth and the other students look a bit... off? I can't tell if it's because most of what we saw appeared to be part of an earlier build when they still needed to clean up the models, or if I'm just not used to seeing Three Houses characters in HD. Similarly, Byleths final smash looks like Sothis is a .PNG file, and I can't tell if that's a placeholder or the final product. I'm far from saying that the models look terrible, I just find them a bit odd is all, and I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

Yes, they're definitely low-polygon/low-res models. You can see the triangles in Ingrid's skirt in particular.

I'm gonna assume it's just the unfinished product, though; the footage is from November, after all. I remember when Chrom was revealed back in April he looked like a janky Gamecube-era model, but looks fine in the actual game.

Sothis is probably gonna stay a PNG, though.