DLC Wave 4 revealed at the end of the Smash Direct

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Etheus said:

Maybe he means full African? 

It's not like the series omits them. We have Devdan, Fiona, Basilio, and Flavia. That's a start.

Well we have character's drawn to be a bit darker but not as dark as them. The most plausible for most of them is North African/Western Asian. Except Petra who may be Austronesian (think Filipinos and Pacific Islanders) and Dedue (who may at least be part Native American basing on cultural context).

And of course they made the most androgynous male be the gay option, AGAIN... I am so mad at Nintendo.

I understand that this is a generalization. Maybe that stereotype is more common in Japan vs USA. In my country, unfortunately, Gay Man and Trans-woman are interchangeable (same Tagalog word).

Edited by Jayvee94

59 minutes ago, magenero29 said:

And of course they made the most androgynous male be the gay option, AGAIN... I am so mad at Nintendo.

I think there’s a law in FE universe that states that you cannot be a bi guy it you have short hair.

Edited by zuibangde

Here's a few more details from the japanese site about how the Abyssal mode works: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/64df73f3-31ec-11ea-b641-063b7ac45a6d.html

• Completely separate from the main game - you select it from the menu, select a Byleth/difficulty (no Maddening) and go.
  • Takes place early in part 1. Byleth and the students pursue a mysterious figure and wind up in the Abyss, a town under Garreg Mach that the Church is silent on.
  • The Ashen Wolves are former students of the Academy who have their own reasons for going to the Abyss.
  • Doesn't follow the month/mission structure of the main game.
  • No additional recruits - you have a set army.
  • Said to be a little tougher than the main game.

14 minutes ago, Moltz23 said:

Here's a few more details from the japanese site about how the Abyssal mode works: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/64df73f3-31ec-11ea-b641-063b7ac45a6d.html

• Completely separate from the main game - you select it from the menu, select a Byleth/difficulty (no Maddening) and go.
  • Takes place early in part 1. Byleth and the students pursue a mysterious figure and wind up in the Abyss, a town under Garreg Mach that the Church is silent on.
  • The Ashen Wolves are former students of the Academy who have their own reasons for going to the Abyss.

Is this the "post-game" sandbox that I have been looking for where I can mix and match my army, or is it set on a per-map basis? Regardless, I'm hype!

18 minutes ago, Moltz23 said:

This almost reminds me of Heroes from Another Dimension from Kirby: Star Allies. New mode that adds a little story with a difficulty increase.

8 minutes ago, Sire said:

Is this the "post-game" sandbox that I have been looking for where I can mix and match my army, or is it set on a per-map basis? Regardless, I'm hype!

I'm the one who translated/summarized into the bullet points above, and no, it's not a post-game sandbox - it seems like a separate mini-campaign from how they described it.  Since they mentioned you can't recruit more students, I imagine we're getting house leaders + a few others from each house + Ashen Wolves only.

Another point I translated that didn't make it up above - the new maps are described has having special tricks/gimmicks (no specifics).

Edited by GSR

5 minutes ago, GSR said:

I'm the one who translated/summarized into the bullet points above, and no, it's not a post-game sandbox - it seems like a separate mini-campaign from how they described it.  Since they mentioned you can't recruit more students, I imagine we're getting house leaders + a few others from each house + Ashen Wolves only.

Another point I translated that didn't make it up above - the new maps are described has having special tricks/gimmicks (no specifics).

Oh god.....don't be like Revelation.

Gimmicks are all well and good when done well but that game's maps were NOT good.

37 minutes ago, GSR said:

What I meant by "post-game sandbox" is something more like "anyone can be fielded, regardless of story consequences, on random auxiliary battles." While I would obivously love a post-game sandbox similar to the Creature Campaign from Sacred Stones or Shadows of Valentia, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Heck, the "postgames" of Awakening and Fates can work too...

But yeah, the more I look into it the more I see it is a separate mini-campaign with the main reward being able to use the Ashen Wolves in the mainline campaigns.

1 minute ago, Jayvee94 said:

If they all have post-time skip designs, I'd imagine that they will show up in Part 2 after you beat the Abyss.

Wait, is the Abyss mode different from the Side story (Cindered Shadows)?

The Abyss is the location.

Cindered Shadows is the "story title" from my understanding, which is also the separate game mode that will likely focus on the Abyss location.

1 hour ago, Moltz23 said:

Ah, interesting. So we will only be able to use the new units in this side game? Or I wonder if they will unlock in the main game too? Since we can S rank with them, I wonder how the marriage will work if not, and I wonder how long this side story is. It would have to be long enough to S rank and marry others.

Will the new classes be useable in the main game too or will they just be for the side story as well? 

Still a lot of questions.

Edited by Dylan Corona

It's worth noting that the description for the trailer says that the Ashen Wolves can be brought into the main game, though it isn't clear if you have to complete Abyss Mode first or if you just have to reach a certain point. Presumably they will act as normal units once they are brought over.

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It's worth noting that the description for the trailer says that the Ashen Wolves can be brought into the main game, though it isn't clear if you have to complete Abyss Mode first or if you just have to reach a certain point. Presumably they will act as normal units once they are brought over.

Oh! You're right. That answers that question. So you can marry them in the main game is my guess. 

This being a wholly separate mode would prevent you from coming out of this Abyss Mode severely overleveled for wherever you left off.

I wonder if there will be some minor gifts or other bonuses for the main game for finishing your trip to the Abyss. I hope you can reload the same finished Abyss data for multiple files on separate routes, for those who want to be one and done with it.

Wasn’t that coming in April? Holy shit, I must finish my three remaining campaign ASAP. Good thing I got this new job. I’m getting paid well enough to not feel like crap buying the season pass. There’s no individual DLC right? I understand I can only purchase via season pass

5 minutes ago, Midnox said:

Wasn’t that coming in April? Holy shit, I must finish my three remaining campaign ASAP. Good thing I got this new job. I’m getting paid well enough to not feel like crap buying the season pass. There’s no individual DLC right? I understand I can only purchase via season pass

April I believe was just their general deadline. They've been ahead of those as far as I can remember for each wave.

------------------------------

I hope for the best but this trailer does nothing to convince me that this is not the worst value/price proposition for a season pass I've seen in a while among nintendo and other games.

Edited by Gwyn

5 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Well we have character's drawn to be a bit darker but not as dark as them. The most plausible for most of them is North African/Western Asian. Except Petra who may be Austronesian (think Filipinos and Pacific Islanders) and Dedue (who may at least be part Native American basing on cultural context).

I understand that this is a generalization. Maybe that stereotype is more common in Japan vs USA. In my country, unfortunately, Gay Man and Trans-woman are interchangeable (same Tagalog word).

That actually explains a lot. My girlfriend is always calling trans people gay and it's really confused me on several occasions.

On topic, I don't even care about the money any more, but how much time is this game going to drain from me!...I mean I am enjoying all my playthroughs, but I'm over like two hundred hours on it at this stage. It's slightly ridiculous.

I do think their choice for this extra house is weird. Would rather they develop one of the existing aspects of the game than retconning this weird mole people into the game. If we're going to play mole people I'd rather join the Agarthans, no joke.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Gwyn said:

April I believe was just their general deadline. They've been ahead of those as far as I can remember for each wave.

------------------------------

I hope for the best but this trailer does nothing to convince me that this is not the worst value/price proposition for a season pass I've seen in a while among nintendo and other games.

Eh, for me, nothing is worse than Breath of the Wild's season pass.

A bunch of gimmicky items, Trial of the Sword's reward is lackluster compared to the hours of hell you have to put in to finish it, and The Champion's Ballad is just more of BotW's half-baked writing and poor dungeon design.

6 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

Italicizing the parts I find the most interesting. Thanks for sharing this btw. I've heard this on Reddit and I'm glad to see someone else mention it. (unless that was you on Reddit too)

1. Doesn't follow the month/mission structure of the main game- thank goodness I'm reading this as no monotonous Monastery wandering. So it sounds like the structure will be more similar to a classic FE game. This means that this story probably won't feature a time skip either. I wonder how the class system would work. Will they have set roles or can we still customize the class paths? Since this story will most likely be shorter, I assume Master classes won't be necessary/obtainable and Advanced Classes will be the last tier? Hmmm.

2. No additional recruits- Interesting. If we're given a set army, are we getting all 24 students and the faculty? Or are we getting a couple of people from each house? I think I would be happiest getting 2-3 reps from each house, so we get 9 normal students + Byleth + 3-4 Faculty members (Shamir, Catherine, and Alois maybe?) + 4 DLC characters. This will give us 17 playable characters and most maps require 10, so this will allow us some freedom to choose who we want as well as encourage us to use the new characters.

3. Said to be a little tougher- this is a great thing since Hard Mode isn't actually all that hard. Although I wonder if the gimmicks will be more annoying than actually difficult. Also, looking at the lineup they've given us so far- Edelgard, Claude, and Hilda... they have given us Top Tier characters to take on this mode. Is it hard even with them? Or will they make it easy like they're able to do in their paths?

Also, I do hope they get Timeskip designs, but I'm not sure if they will. Balthus is already more mature, so I'm not sure if he would look any different. Coco, Yuri, and Hapi are all young, but so is Jeritza and his appearance didn't change much (but he did get a new face sprite). Jeritza is arguably considered faculty and isn't really a student. These 4 are in a weird place- they're not really students, but I wouldn't call them "faculty" either. They don't appear to be associated with the Knights of Seiros since their color scheme is different. Byleth seems to play a mentor role to them, so maybe they are categorized with the students more? I hope so, since they'll most likely want to take the 10th slot on your roster in the main game (Balthus for VW, Hapi for AM, Yuri for SS, and Coco for CF).

19 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Italicizing the parts I find the most interesting. Thanks for sharing this btw. I've heard this on Reddit and I'm glad to see someone else mention it. (unless that was you on Reddit too)

2. No additional recruits- Interesting. If we're given a set army, are we getting all 24 students and the faculty? Or are we getting a couple of people from each house? I think I would be happiest getting 2-3 reps from each house, so we get 9 normal students + Byleth + 3-4 Faculty members (Shamir, Catherine, and Alois maybe?) + 4 DLC characters. This will give us 17 playable characters and most maps require 10, so this will allow us some freedom to choose who we want as well as encourage us to use the new characters.

Crazy thoughts here

What if we got previously unplayable character like Jeralt or Rhea instead of the normal faculties?

The fact DLC sets in completely different timescale would mean these characters could totally work without retcon main story.

Edited by Timlugia

13 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Crazy thoughts here

What if we got previously unplayable character like Jeralt or Rhea instead of the normal faculties?

The fact DLC sets in completely different timescale would mean these characters could totally work without retcon main story.

Jeralt is definitely a good choice. I would love to see him in action and maybe see some supports? I can see Rhea for a couple of big maps as well. They already have stats and everything. Seems like a waste not to.

Also curiously enough, the Spanish title of this DLC is not Cindered Shadows. It's "En la boca del lobo" or "The mouth of the wolf". Probably just to relate to the mascot of this campaign.

Funny how Hilda is the leading voice in the trailer. It's a bit sad that her VA, Salli Saffioti doesn't seem to care too much about Hilda lol. I don't expect voice actors to love or connect with every role they do, but it's funny how massively popular Hilda is and she doesn't even know probably.

Edited by Dandy Druid
Spelling Error.