DLC Wave 4 revealed at the end of the Smash Direct

25 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

Got my first real 3H game over in Ch. 3. Bah, really not a fan of chapter 3. If you're going to nerf our resources compared to the main game then don't put Kaga level troll gameplay plot twists in a level.

Reveal hidden contents

The lever being completely RNG would be fine if there were no spawning in reinforcements but as it stands not one of my units could even survive a "Fake RNG lever" which makes this such a troll move. 

Yeah I'm going from Hard to normal since I've heard people say similar things about other maps.

Spoiler

Oh, hell, is it really total RNG? That's... painful, but kinda nice? I used a Divine Pulse each time I pulled the wrong one, and it was the third one, so I just figured there was some subtle funneling or something going on to make me go checking from left to right.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I find it interesting how Rhea didn't want humanity to progress by banning various inventions. I wounder how ancient  is the 3h would if there has been several calendars in place. This just gives more questions about the world of Fódlan.

Wasn't this already mentioned in the main game though? Or at least heavily hinted at? I could've sworn this is not the first we've heard of this.

Still even if that is the case, it's nice that there's more to elaborate on it.

19 minutes ago, Nihilem said:

Well I havent played the dlc until now, but that would bring a nice new component to the conflict. It brings a lot of backup for Edelgards claim that the manaketes are holding back humanity while on the other side beeing totally reasonable actions from Rheas Point of View. Just imagine beeing one of the few survivors of a nuclear holocaust, taking almost everything that was dear to you .... just to see humans developing the same technologies that brought destruction to the entire world once again... would you really let them do it? Knowing well that this time their is no genereous godess that can heal the wounds of the world when humanity f***s up at some point in the future.

Also I feel that it can be argued that Edelgard is even more native about the true nature of the slithers actions. If they truly helped with the foundation of Faerghus Leicester in order to depower the church and the empire. And here Edelgard is making speeches about Rhea is causing instability in order to reinforce their own authority when she is collaborating with people that did the same. Sure  Edelgard and TWISTED want similar goals, but she's reaching a bit here. Does Byleth tell anyone this information? Hell no, just standing there while a blank face.

22 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Wasn't this already mentioned in the main game though? Or at least heavily hinted at? I could've sworn this is not the first we've heard of this.

Still even if that is the case, it's nice that there's more to elaborate on it.

Yes, but now we have evidence.

Finally beat the DLC after overcoming the hurdle of Chapter 6.The finale was a fun battle, with my MVP being Dimitri because his Monster Slayer combat art paired with a Killer Lance is amazing. If Dimitri gets his Crest proc on top of that, oh man... (So, buy extra Killer Lances for Dimitri.)

Spoiler

For Chapter 6, I basically took it slow and steady with a "Byleth solo." Had the Ashen Wolves hide away so they don't aggro anyone and mostly had Byleth (with some RNG manipulation) handle the Bolting mages. // As I predicted, once they were handled, the rest of the map was relatively easy to handle and my other units could come out and play.

For the finale, it was a standard beast boss battle affair. The gimmick of healing phantoms was more of an annoyance (I had Claude and "B" on deck to handle them), but what caught me off guard was the map-wide attack that shuffles the position of your party. Granted, when it does this it also makes it easier to kill the boss as it gets tired after its super attack, but the hard part was getting your DPS in range to actually do the damage.

Story-wise, the DLC was relatively average with some incredible moments here and there (Dimitri x Edelgard convo comes to mind). I liked the expansion on the lore the DLC provided, and the new map objectives were a refreshing change of pace from the standard rout maps.
Now I'm off to see what is all available on the main game and going with the Golden Deer. Claude would love to know the secrets of the Abyss, so it makes sense I go Golden Deer for this run.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Abyss can be accessed starting from Chapter 2, and the Ashen Wolves can be recruited throughout Part I.

I'm done with Chapter 2 and it was longer than I expected. If I have any thoughts to share I'll put them in spoilers, like I am now.

Hide contents

I think the idea of multiple waves is interesting, but I couldn't tell how many there would be or when it would be over. It was nice to see the Death Knight again, but unfortunately he didn't defeat any of the enemies for me. I found that he has a battle conversation with Constance, who recognizes his fighting stance, so it seems that she and Jeritza have a history together.

Byleth's mom has a name now, praise Sothis! We learn more about her and Jeralt through Aelfric, who turns out to have been friends with both. Jeralt was basically the same as he is now, and Sitri was kind and liked books, but was frail and never left the monastery. She was also unemotional unless Jeralt was around, so Byleth didn't fall too far from the tree in that regard. We also learn about the Rite of Rising and how it can apparently revive the dead. I wonder if the Four Apostles were Nabateans or humans with Crests.

I'm guessing Aelfric is actually Snape and he's in love with Sitri. Maybe he wants to use the Rite of Rising to bring her back to life? Maybe having the descendants of the Four Apostles be in Abyss at the same time was planned by someone...

Oh I see! Thanks for the answer ^^

Once all the chapters of the DLC have been completed, will the content be unlocked for each new game of the main game?

And is it better to play some chapters of the DLC before some chapters of the main game (before the mock battle between the 3 Houses or the kidnapping of Flayn for example)?

Edited by Maneki
Other question

So in Chapter 5:

Spoiler

Yuri asked me out on ... a date to the Holy Mausoleum. 

Is this the Cindered Shadows equivalent of the main game's Goddess Tower scene? If so, is there any way to pick who you meet with? 

Or is it just part of the regular story and Yuri is being Yuri?

Edited by Etheus

24 minutes ago, Etheus said:

So in Chapter 5:

Reveal hidden contents

Yuri asked me out on ... a date to the Holy Mausoleum. 

Is this the Cindered Shadows equivalent of the main game's Goddess Tower scene? If so, is there any way to pick who you meet with? 

Or is it just part of the regular story and Yuri is being Yuri?

Spoiler

It’s just Yuri being Yuri for story reasons 

35 minutes ago, Maneki said:

Once all the chapters of the DLC have been completed, will the content be unlocked for each new game of the main game?

And is it better to play some chapters of the DLC before some chapters of the main game (before the mock battle between the 3 Houses or the kidnapping of Flayn for example)?

Spoiler

For your first question, yes everything you unlock can be found on each save of the main game.

3 minutes ago, Brimney said:

Hide contents

For your first question, yes everything you unlock can be found on each save of the main game.

I see, thank you. 

I'm currently at Part 2 Chapter 20 and I'm hesitant to start the DLC. 
I would like to unlock the Augury and know when the DLC story takes place in the main game but I think I'll be less in the story of the DLC if I do it now...

Most of the features of the abyss besides that characters are unlocked after you beat just the first chapter, if that helps. The dlc characters need to be unlocked further in the side story. People believe the dlc takes place between chapters 4-8 of the main game I think, I may be off base but that’s roughly there. 

3 minutes ago, Brimney said:

Most of the features of the abyss besides that characters are unlocked after you beat just the first chapter, if that helps. The dlc characters need to be unlocked further in the side story. People believe the dlc takes place between chapters 4-8 of the main game I think, I may be off base but that’s roughly there. 

Thank you so much ! 😄

If it unlocks the Augury I think I'll just do the first chapter. It will also give me an idea of the DLC's fighting mechanics without actually getting into the plot (and understand exactly what the Mystery Instructor is for).

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:
  Hide contents

So, I think Yuri might be a better Claude than Claude. If anyone deserves the schemer moniker, it's him.

Spoiler

They certainly do give him better chances to pull such a thing off. Claude really gets screwed by becoming more straight-forward in Verdant Wind.

Edited by Sentinel07

41 minutes ago, Brimney said:

Actually it takes places at chapter 5, right after Byleth got SotC

Rhea made it very clear the attack on Holy Mausoleum was just previous month, and in main game there was one week of no activity in this month.

My current main game save is at part 2, so I don't know if they made any change to dialouge

but wouldn't DLC cause major continually conflict/retcon somehow?

Spoiler

After killing the monster, Rhea confirms Aelfric was correct, that was indeed Stiri, Byleth's mother, and that she died giving Byleth her heart. The only information she withheld at this point is that Stiri was created by her to resurrect Sothis. So I see there would be three conflicts here

- Main game Byleth asked Jeralt how they was born in chapter 9, since Byleth already know the story from Rhea, even the name

- Byleth asking who was their mother in Chpater 10, especially Rhea saying "She was my.....", in DLC she already told Byleth Sitri was like her daughter.

- Seteth found out the "secret" Byleth was the baby from 21 years ago in Chapter 11, since Aelfric already yelling this in front the whole group when confronted by Rhea and no longer a secret.

And also did they add any lines for Jeralt post DLC? I would presume he would hear about it anyway (how can you hide it when Aelfric literally did the ritual in the main cathedral?) He must be quite devastated that his beloved Stiri was turning into a monster by his former friend, especially the fact if Stiri didn't actually "die" in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Actually it takes places at chapter 5, right after Byleth got SotC

Rhea made it very clear the attack on Holy Mausoleum was just previous month, and in main game there was one week of no activity in this month.

My current main game save is at part 2, so I don't know if they made any change to dialouge

but wouldn't DLC cause major continually conflict/retcon somehow?

Hide contents

After killing the monster, Rhea confirms Aelfric was correct, that was indeed Stiri, Byleth's mother, and that she died giving Byleth her heart. The only information she withheld at this point is that Stiri was created by her to resurrect Sothis. So I see there would be three conflicts here

- Main game Byleth asked Jeralt how they was born in chapter 9, since Byleth already know the story from Rhea, even the name

- Byleth asking who was their mother in Chpater 10, especially Rhea saying "She was my.....", in DLC she already told Byleth Sitri was like her daughter.

- Seteth found out the "secret" Byleth was the baby from 21 years ago in Chapter 11, since Aelfric already yelling this in front the whole group when confronted by Rhea and no longer a secret.

And also did they add any lines for Jeralt post DLC? I would presume he would hear about it anyway (how can you hide it when Aelfric literally did the ritual in the main cathedral?) He must be quite devastated that his beloved Stiri was turning into a monster by his former friend, especially the fact if Stiri didn't actually "die" in the first place.

The way I see it.

Spoiler

Cindered Shadows feels more like an alternate story rather than something that fits within the main story. As you stated, Byleth gets to know who their mother was at the end of CS, something they didn't know in the main story, and the end of Silver Snow is when Rhea tells them the full story.

Plus, there's the fact that the Ashen Wolf characters all leave the Monastery to go their separate ways rather than staying around as they would be doing in the main game.

I have to report some of the observed changes within the update.

• All initial goals except Constance's change
    • Yuri: Sword and Faith -> Sword and Authority
    • Balthus: Brawling and Faith -> Axes and Brawling
    • Hapi: Faith and Riding -> Lances and Reason
  • Balthus's internal Auto-Level class changes from Mercenary to Brawler

Do you only have to complete this side story once to unlock the DLC? Or is it one completion for every save file?

On the topic of the DLC characters, you get them separately it seems: I unlocked Constance, but not anyone else.

Edited by ZeManaphy

2 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

The way I see it.

Hide contents

Cindered Shadows feels more like an alternate story rather than something that fits within the main story. As you stated, Byleth gets to know who their mother was at the end of CS, something they didn't know in the main story, and the end of Silver Snow is when Rhea tells them the full story.

Plus, there's the fact that the Ashen Wolf characters all leave the Monastery to go their separate ways rather than staying around as they would be doing in the main game.

In the same vein, it seems to me DLC shows much more sympathetic light to Rhea than original part one

Instead of that mysterious or even plot planning Rhea we had from base game, DLC Rhea is much more caring, and have far more close interaction with Byleth

Spoiler

She reveals that Abyss was her creation as a shelter for people; She told Byleth that she cares about Sitri like a daughter; she also show more regret about her past decisions;

Most importantly she also openly admitted she removed Sitri's heart to save Byleth, and was the reason Byleth has no heart beat, nullified the "conspiracy sub plot" regarding Jeralt's diary in the base game.

From Black Eagle perspective, DLC Byleth might be one justifying Silver Snow path. I can see DLC Byleth siding with Rhea after she's being more open about their past.

Edited by Timlugia

44 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

In the same vein, it seems to me DLC shows much more sympathetic light to Rhea than original part one

Instead of that mysterious or even plot planning Rhea we had from base game, DLC Rhea is much more caring, and have far more close interaction with Byleth

Hide contents

She reveals that Abyss was her creation as a shelter for people; She told Byleth that she cares about Sitri like a daughter; she also show more regret about her past decisions;

Most importantly she also openly admitted she removed Sitri's heart to save Byleth, and was the reason Byleth has no heart beat, nullified the "conspiracy sub plot" regarding Jeralt's diary in the base game.

From Black Eagle perspective, DLC Byleth might be one justifying Silver Snow path. I can see DLC Byleth siding with Rhea after she's being more open about their past.

In all honesty, while IS did say they didn't want a golden route or anything, I do kind of feel like Silver Snow is a sort of default route in their eyes.

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

In all honesty, while IS did say they didn't want a golden route or anything, I do kind of feel like Silver Snow is a sort of default route in their eyes.

It probably is from story writing perspective (you need a foundation/anchor base on to write other routes)

But I was just explaining why I feel DLC is helping people justifying to support Rhea in Black Eagle path since it removed a few "gripe" Byleth/Jeralt had with Rhea in part one (particular around Byleth's birth and death of Sitri) , and they clearly bounds better after DLC.

2 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree that she acts less suspicious here (still has her moments though) but I'm not sure that's enough to be considered being put in a"much more" sympathetic light.

Spoiler

What do you mean by nullfies "the conspiracy sub plot" ? (leaving aside that there is absolutely a conspiracy and the DLC only adds additional bits and evidence to it)  From the cutscene I remember mentioning anything similar Byleth is the one that can (possibly, it's a bit vauge) allude to their current heartbeat (and even then it's unclear exactly what Byleth says out loud or if Rhea picked up on the implication) Rhea just brings up that Sitri willingly offered up her heart and that it was the only way for them to be saved. Nowhere does Rhea say that is the reason they don't have a heartbeat (or the other symptoms Jeralt noticed in his child) nor does she elaborate further on what exactly getting thier mother's heart entails/means.

Edited by goodperson707

7 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Also I feel that it can be argued that Edelgard is even more native about the true nature of the slithers actions. If they truly helped with the foundation of Faerghus Leicester in order to depower the church and the empire. And here Edelgard is making speeches about Rhea is causing instability in order to reinforce their own authority when she is collaborating with people that did the same. Sure  Edelgard and TWISTED want similar goals, but she's reaching a bit here. Does Byleth tell anyone this information? Hell no, just standing there while a blank face.

Problem being, these books are only accessible in Part II, aka too late to change things.

Also, 'naive about the true nature of the Mole Men'? Why exactly do everyone assume Edelgard just blindly trust everything the Mole Men say, when lack of trust is one of her defining character traits? Especially when these guys carved her and her siblings up like raw burger for these Crest experiments? My guess is that they played the same game that Solon did with Claude in VW: seed forbidden texts (maybe one forgery to really bend things in their direction, for instance a slightly edited version of that Burn Report, but truth usually serves you better), and let things like Church censure, not so good damage control (the negociations for the HK of Faerghus, for instance. By that point, the Kingdom was pretty much happening, so I think Rhea tried to get all levers she could get within the new country, but didn't think about how it would affect the 'privilegied relationship' she had with the Empire, visible with things like the calendar stuff or her role in emperors' crowning, or bit the losses to get this leverage), hints of hidden agenda speak for themselves, leading to draw the 'logical' conclusion that the Church had a hand in shaping Fodlan's politics. If they are already playing with the rest of society, it isn't that much of a leap to make. The Mole Men have been shown here to be long game players, I'm sure they could do that, or literally anything else thant 'told Edelgard their version of stuff', which she would have literally 0 reasons to trust. And ultimately, Edelgard remains a young girl agianst a conspiracy which has been playing that game for centuries. Odds are rarely in favor of the plucky kid in that scenario, no matter what video games say.