Is "Ok Boomer" mean?

XRay

I feel a little bad about using Ok Boomer, but it is funny and I cannot stop myself. Seeing the following on Google images made me feel a bit bad.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ4AZTy31Iz_8gSIv3Rtf

I did a little reading and research on the topic, but then I returned to playing the Google Image War game and scrolled a little further and seeing this image made feel a little better.

okay-boomer-%C2%BB-formidable.jpg

So how do you guys feel? I still feel a little bad about picking on old people, but I feel like I want a little payback for shit like this.

KVDXHQj.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

Seeing the following on Google images made me feel a bit bad.

Don't.

And when you hear a boomer say that 'boomer' is like using the N-word, just stop for a moment and consider the source

82599604_511497602805829_7462209839452651520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=MDzwNLRLg1EAX_h_ywu&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=f19a7036c02abec1a65ec145939f3084&oe=5EA32865

1 minute ago, Flere210 said:

I am quite sure that Boomers have collectively done way more than millenials for the civil rights tho. 

Boomers have also done more to screw up the economy, the atmosphere, and the politics of the world than Millenials.

I'm not a Millennial, I'm a Gen Z. So, don't call me out for being a Millennial.

5 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Boomers have also done more to screw up the economy, the atmosphere, and the politics of the world than Millenials.

I'm not a Millennial, I'm a Gen Z. So, don't call me out for being a Millennial.

I'm millennial and I can vouch for this.

equating a nickname that was coined as a meme to annoy a generation that already did enough damage to the world to racial slurs tied to years upon years of social injustice and suffering is about the scummiest thing you can do, and really reflects the hypocrisy of the generation calling younger folks “sensitive.”

you should not feel bad about using it, but instead bad for the poor old idiots that think this is a valid argument. 

Edited by bad daniel

13 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I am quite sure that Boomers have collectively done way more than millenials for the civil rights tho. 

Good for them. They've only had what--35 years to do it??? 

Lets see how our contribution matches up to their's when its 2055, we've had our turn, and we're getting ready to handover the reigns of power to the Gen Z kids.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Just now, Shoblongoo said:

Good for them. They've only had what--35 years to do it??? 

Lets see how our contribution matches up to their's when its 2055, we're getting ready to hand over the reigns of power to Gen Z, and we've had our turn.

I don't think in the western world there is any kind of discrimination as bad as the racism of those days, so unless we realize the Utopia i find very difficult to achieve that. 

Eh, it can be sort of mean if used towards someone that is just minding their own business or being nice.

Like "hi grandson, it's been a while since i saw you. Come give grandma a hug" "ok boomer" that's sorta mean.

But it's no big deal.

But this whole generation wars is beyond ridiculous. There are plenty of nice people and bigots in all generations. IDK about you all but I'd take my grandma over most people born at around the same time as me.

Edited by Nobody

26 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

And when you hear a boomer say that 'boomer' is like using the N-word, just stop for a moment and consider the source

25 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I guess I will be more selective in my use of Ok Boomer.

Like, not all Boomers are bad since there were obviously enough of them to push Civil Rights through, just like how there are despicable Millennials like that Martin Shkreli asshole who hikes up drug prices for personal profit at the expense of patients. So I guess it is perfectly fine depending on context.

Edited by XRay

19 minutes ago, bad daniel said:

equating a nickname that was coined as a meme to annoy a generation that already did enough damage to the world and racial slurs tied to years upon years of social injustice and suffering is about the scummiest thing you can do, and really reflects the hypocrisy of the generation calling younger folks “sensitive.”

you should not feel bad about using it, but instead bad for the poor old idiots that think this is a valid argument. 

ok boomer

25 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Ok Zoomer.

Anywho, yeah it mean. Is it mean to the point that some boomers say it is? Nope.

I wouldn't say its mean. There's a pretty sizable group of Boomers who are just rubbing their hands in glee about how hard Millennial will have it in the future. They frame it as Millenials being lazy snowflakes but on some level they are probably aware that its because they themselves go out of their way to leave the world a worse place then they found it. 

And with the Boomers just not having any desire to adress global warming and them being the driving force behind the age of populism I'd say they deserve to get sneered at by the new generation. 

We won't be saying "ok boomer" in three years. But I guarantee our grandkids are going to be exposed to the same slurs, and a couple new ones. Boomer just doesn't have the right bite. 

When I talk to folks fifty years older than me though, we don't converse in memes, but words. When I'm talking to somebody my age and they say something outdated I'll call them a boomer since that's funny as heck in 2019/2020. Old people also make jabs at other old peoples' age, it's fun. I'm not gonna say age-ism isn't real, especially in the workplace and other professional sectors, but the joke behind "ok boomer" is far older than boomers are. 

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I guess I will be more selective in my use of Ok Boomer.

Like, not all Boomers are bad since there were obviously enough of them to push Civil Rights through, just like how there are despicable Millennials like that Martin Shkreli asshole who hikes up drug prices for personal profit at the expense of patients. So I guess it is perfectly fine depending on context.

Yes, but i feel that using it often lump all of them in the bad category.  There are boomer who did the shit that has been linked and boomers that make so doing that is no longer allowed. And for all we know those people may havw changed in those decades. 

Sure things could be better, but they could also be much worse, and sometimes we tale for granted things that required a lot of effort to be achieved. I prefer to focus on what is good rather than on what is bad, and i believe that humanity is more or less on the right track. 

12 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How old do you have to be to be a boomer? I get call a boomer even though I'm only thirty-five.

Considering it presumably is short for baby boomer, minimum 60 (IIRC the post-WWII baby boom is considered to be 1945-1960).

Anyway...it's an insult. It's supposed to be mean.

As mean as "OK millennial" I supposed.
Both terms may invalidate a person's individual experience based on their age. 

but on a more personal note ,since when it was on millennials it wasn't that much of a big deal... well... to show fairness ... I see it as a meme. 

50 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How old do you have to be to be a boomer? I get call a boomer even though I'm only thirty-five.

My boss is in his 40s. I “okay boomer”ed him the other day and he gave me a “fuck you. I’m not that old.”