Why do people ship Edlegard and Byleth?

Do you ship Byleth x Edlegard?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ship Byleth x Edlegard?

• Hell Yeah!
    • Not really, but can see why people do ship it
    • No, and I don't care
    • No, and I prefer Dimitri/Rhea/Claude x Byleth
    • *Stabs Edlegard* What was the question again?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Of course, that comes with the risk that, if written badly, it can adversely affect the game's story (just ask Alm and Celica), but it is well worth the risk if written well.

Well, I'm afraid I disagree there. But let's not make this thread about Alm and Celica.

Edelgard and Byleth is a terrible pair, I see her feelings is more infatuation then affection. She is more in the Tharja/Rhajat camp and those two are very split in the fanbase. As for the feeling, faye flat out tell alm her dream of having his kids and he pretty much tells her screw your dreams. Simple feeling are bad when the game or characters make them one sided. Her “needed” Byleth is just a big red flag.

Well, Edelgard is one of the main characters, she is clearly in love with Byleth in every route, Edge of Dawn is sung from her POV (and especially the last versione is very romantic). In her route her love for Byleth is even clearer and she is the first bisexual lord of the series (and gay girls have "only" 5 options, and she is one of the best choice). Other than that, there is the fact that she is either hated or loved, it's hard that people don't have a strong opinion about her. So being Byleth the avatar of the player, everyone that loves her will S support her. Anyway, I think Dimitri x Byleth and Silvayn X Felix are more popular (and ok, I expected Dimitri, but I don't understand why Sylvain x Felix is so popular. I understand why people see them as a romantic couple, I don't understand why they are so popular).

10 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Edelgard and Byleth is a terrible pair, I see her feelings is more infatuation then affection. She is more in the Tharja/Rhajat camp and those two are very split in the fanbase. As for the feeling, faye flat out tell alm her dream of having his kids and he pretty much tells her screw your dreams. Simple feeling are bad when the game or characters make them one sided. Her “needed” Byleth is just a big red flag.

Byleth x anyone is one-sided.

Edelgard is a case of Byleth preventing her from fully descending into darkness (or defrosting the ice queen) and Dimitri is a case of Byleth rescuing him from the darkness after he's tumbled into it full tilt (or fixing the bad boy). I do think codependent relationships are depicted far too often as wholly good/sexy things in fiction, but neither of those relationships are anything close to Tharja's unhealthy attachment, and they're actually better than usual in spite of using some of the same tropes.

Edited by Crysta

On 1/22/2020 at 6:40 PM, Crysta said:

Byleth x anyone is one-sided.

Edelgard is a case of Byleth preventing her from fully descending into darkness (or defrosting the ice queen) and Dimitri is a case of Byleth rescuing him from the darkness after he's tumbled into it full tilt (or fixing the bad boy). I do think codependent relationships are depicted far too often as wholly good/sexy things in fiction, but neither of those relationships are anything close to Tharja's unhealthy attachment, and they're actually better than usual in spite of using some of the same tropes.

I wouldn't say one sided. Dorthea seem like she got the hots for Byleth. In part 1 in Part 2 she still does but I think she clam it down it a bit. I mean the game let's you pick your spouse, Eldegard and Rhea are pushed more in the black eagles house. Though. Funny enough if you go by anime logic. Rhea is the upper classman or class prez who wants the MC and Eldegard the kohai or underclassman who wants senpai to notice her and, well Dimitri at least in part is the childhood who feeling go unnoticed in a way.

3 minutes ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

I wouldn't say one sided. Dorthea seem like she got the hots for Byleth. In part 1 in Part 2 she still does but I think she clam it down it a bit. I mean the game let's you pick your spouse, Eldegard and Rhea are pushed more in the black eagles house. Though. Funny enough if you go by anime logic. Rhea is the upper classman or class prez who wants the MC and Eldegard the kohai or underclassman who wants senpai to notice her and, well Dimitri at least in part is the childhood who feeling go unnoticed in a way.

That sounds pretty one-sided.

2 minutes ago, Crysta said:

That sounds pretty one-sided.

Which part. I mean harem anime do it all the time, they pushed one girl over the others. That why I love DXD even though Rias is the main girl, and every body accepts that, it still going. full harem. Back on topic. Which part was one sided to the game pushing Eldegard and Rhea as pusedo canon. Also it like with Azura x Corrin or Sumia x Chrom, the just implies that. If that was the case Dimitri x Eldegard be canon if not for Byleth and what happened pre_timeskip.

You have absolutely no indication about how Byleth feels about all this affection being directed at him. You are left to imagine how he may feel.

It has nothing to do about implied canon pairings.

7 minutes ago, Crysta said:

You have absolutely no indication about how Byleth feels about all this affection being directed at him. You are left to imagine how he may feel.

It has nothing to do about implied canon pairings.

Oh I understand you now. I still like the pairing of Eldegard x Byleth and Byleth x Dorthea though. What your stance on the Dimitri x El pre-timeskip 

9 minutes ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

Oh I understand you now. I still like the pairing of Eldegard x Byleth and Byleth x Dorthea though. What your stance on the Dimitri x El pre-timeskip 

One-sided on Dimitri's end for plot reasons lol but kind of cute

44 minutes ago, Crysta said:

One-sided on Dimitri's end for plot reasons lol but kind of cute

I agree but because of plot and El obsession with Byleth. Dimitri had no chance. Wish we had a golden path actually wouldn't mind seeing supports for them. I guess the new DLC side story is a pusedo golden path. I mean I would mind Byleth going full Emperor Lelouch to bring the world together so peace can reign. 

3 hours ago, Crysta said:

That's the nature of avatars. To continue the Dorothea example, in her B support she jokingly propositions M!Byleth just to get a reaction from him. While the character onscreen didn't react, I certainly did.

4 hours ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to quote this comment

I don't really see Rhea as a cannon ship being pushed by the game. If anything it's the most difficult ship in the game to get, being regulated to one route and requiring actual action on the player to get rather than being automatic

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I don't really see Rhea as a cannon ship being pushed by the game. If anything it's the most difficult ship in the game to get, being regulated to one route and requiring actual action on the player to get rather than being automatic

The exact same thing applies to Edie too, and the game play automatically puts you on snow so I see Rhea as “more canon” then Edie.

25 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

The exact same thing applies to Edie too, and the game play automatically puts you on snow so I see Rhea as “more canon” then Edie.

Aside from then fact that THERE IS NO CANON ROUTE (or ship), you also have a lot more time to get Edelgard's supports up to A than you do Rhea. Edelgard you only need up to C+ before Ch11, and given how many chances you have to get points with her in cutscenes alone, that's not difficult at all. Rhea on the other hand needs B before Jeralt's death, AND A before the end of Part 1. And since she isn't playable and thus can't be your backpack for support points, you have to bury her with gifts to make it in time.

7 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Aside from then fact that THERE IS NO CANON ROUTE (or ship), you also have a lot more time to get Edelgard's supports up to A than you do Rhea. Edelgard you only need up to C+ before Ch11, and given how many chances you have to get points with her in cutscenes alone, that's not difficult at all. Rhea on the other hand needs B before Jeralt's death, AND A before the end of Part 1. And since she isn't playable and thus can't be your backpack for support points, you have to bury her with gifts to make it in time.

I get that, and that is why it’s in quotations. And yes it’s easier for Edie but you can’t argue that it game is set to be Snow from the start if you pick BE. I think the OP will need to come up with their own reasoning as it seems to falling into one of three reasons “she is forced down our throats” “She is best girl” and “She is totally smitten with Byleth”

34 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I think the OP will need to come up with their own reasoning as it seems to falling into one of three reasons “she is forced down our throats” “She is best girl” and “She is totally smitten with Byleth”

Well what other answers where you expecting? He asked why people ship it. Who you ship is a subjective matter, so of course he'll get subjective answers.

5 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Really damn I only got her to C before Jeralt died. Can I still get her S rank.

6 hours ago, ciphertul said:

How does the game automatically put you on Snow? I found it a LOT harder to get to the Silver Snow route than the main route with Edelgard. Not arguing canon or not, but as Edelgard is the main lord and your training her, you build support with her instantaneously and if it's your first play through, you're going to be talking to the characters every month just to get snippets of their personality/other stuff, so you won't be able to miss talking to her in that special event. 

I feel like the only way you can miss it, is if you've played the game 2-3x already and you're skipping the monastery part out of boredom and then you miss it. But the game wasn't designed for you to skip it, so it's highly unlikely anyone would miss talking to Edelgard, meaning the Silver Snow route is something you have to ACTIVELY choose, rather than just naturally following Edelgard's route.

I'd like to agree, but I've seen enough forum posts amounting to "WTF I wanted to join Edelgard and the game won't let me!?" to know that it's easily missable. If a person is bored enough of the monastery sections, they won't think to talk to Edelgard in February for the cutscene, and then they're screwed.

2 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

How does the game automatically put you on Snow? I found it a LOT harder to get to the Silver Snow route than the main route with Edelgard. Not arguing canon or not, but as Edelgard is the main lord and your training her, you build support with her instantaneously and if it's your first play through, you're going to be talking to the characters every month just to get snippets of their personality/other stuff, so you won't be able to miss talking to her in that special event. 

I feel like the only way you can miss it, is if you've played the game 2-3x already and you're skipping the monastery part out of boredom and then you miss it. But the game wasn't designed for you to skip it, so it's highly unlikely anyone would miss talking to Edelgard, meaning the Silver Snow route is something you have to ACTIVELY choose, rather than just naturally following Edelgard's route.

so in other words... the game defaults you to silver snow? Silver Snow is the default option because you don't have to do anything to get it, as opposed to Crimson Flower where you do have to do stuff (Edelgard C+ Support, visit the coronation, and choose to spare Edelgard). Yeah it's easy to unlock CF route as long as you have the information but, still doesn't change the fact you don't have to do anything to get to SS route and the game pushes you into it if you miss one of the flags.