Why do people ship Edlegard and Byleth?

Do you ship Byleth x Edlegard?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ship Byleth x Edlegard?

• Hell Yeah!
    • Not really, but can see why people do ship it
    • No, and I don't care
    • No, and I prefer Dimitri/Rhea/Claude x Byleth
    • *Stabs Edlegard* What was the question again?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

New to the fourms and heard that Byleth x Edlegard is the most popular ship, I was wondering why everyone ships it?

Ok so I know what quote does now

Edited by AvatarofDiscord
I'm an idiot

59 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Ok so I know what quote does now

So in lieu of a warn, take a verbal warning to go read the rules again, and PM a mod should you have any questions about them.

As for shipping - I ship Byleth with no one.  Ditto Edelgard.

I ship Byleth with Dimitri more. I felt like the growth between those two was a lot more natural than between Edelgard and Byleth.

I think Hubert and Edelgard are really cute together though.

i mean i think many people just like edelgard's overall design, body and/or personality, so the only way to "stay closer to her" is via byleth

since, you know, that's kinda the whole point of avatars in videogames

also edelgard is hands down the single 3H character who's shoved down the players' throats the most, by both advertisements and the game itself, so it's only natural for her to be so popular, as much as i don't like this

Edited by Yexin

I don't personally ship them, actually I don't have a Byleth OTP, but it is probably because her route seems to give many cute and romantic moments with her. Also, the fact that she is the first "true" female lord, not counting Celica, since Micaiah.

Shipping is a weird and alien concept to me. I really don't get why people do it. That being said I did pair Byleth with Edelgard, but I did the same with all the lords (except Dimitri because no homo). And on church route I went Sothis. While I don't ship, my choice for pairing will probably lean towards the character that has shared the most on screen interaction or is thematically the most appropriate. Maybe one can call that shipping, but I only do it because it's a literal part of the game. The whole talking about it, arguing about or even just...caring about it just goes way over my head.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

also edelgard is hands down the single 3H character who's shoved down the players' throats the most, by both advertisements and the game itself, so it's only natural for her to be so popular, as much as i don't like this

Which makes it extremely weird that her route, which was likely going to be the most popular from the start, seems like it was added on at the end/rushed, which is saddening to me because playing as the "lesser evil" trope sounds really cool in a FE game.

As for shipping, I don't find most of it canon in Fire Emblem games since the point is for romance to be open ended for multiple possibilities. But Edelgard does seem most interested in the avatar, so that one makes more sense. 

It's complicated for me. Treating Byleth as a character in his own right, yes, I ship him with Edelgard. She's clearly smitten from the minute he disarms Kostas in the prologue, and if you go CF, her crush clearly blossoms into love.

But, as my avatar, I like Dorothea the best.

So I basically have two completely separate AUs, one where he ends up with Edelgard and one with Dorothea. And all my other ships adjusted accordingly.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Shipping is a weird and alien concept to me. I really don't get why people do it.

Honestly, even as someone who does it, I couldn't really explain why. It's just fun. I would never go so far as to engage in shipping wars, though. That's just dumb.

I don't really "ship" characters; not in the conventional sense. I usually just say either, "Oh, I liked the romance arc between those two" or, "I didn't like it because it was stale or cliché" or, "Those other two characters seemed to have more chemistry for [x] reasons within the story and character interactions". I'm sure there's probably an easier way to explain it. 

Anyway, as for Byleth and Edelgard… I think those two have good chemistry overall (or at least what chemistry can be shown given how little Byleth speaks). Their story and character interactions overall in Crimson Flower are pretty good; a select few plot moments aside. One thing that makes it endearing is how much it helps Edelgard overall; especially in learning to trust people again and be willing to open up, and it even helps Byleth as well with being able to better express themselves. It does have a couple weak moments, but overall, it's pretty good from what I've seen so far (I have yet to get to the s-support scene or see their paired ending). 

Overall, it is made more difficult by the idea that Byleth is supposed to be the player-insert character, but going as Byleth and Edelgard, I like it overall. It's certainly one of the better romance arcs that Fire Emblem has written, though not the best. 

Spoiler

The best one goes to Ike and Elincia in the North American localization of Path of Radiance. That one was so well-written and they had so much chemistry. Shame Radiant Dawn had to ruin it by pairing her with placid Geoffery. 

1 hour ago, iavasechui said:

I just can’t bring myself to romance the students... I suppose I should eventually to fill in the scene viewer...

If it helps they're not students after the time skip and actually start teaching each other. Hence the advanced drills and a more boardroom layout than classroom. So it's less dating your students and more dating...

Image result for emmanuel macron"

Disclaimer that I don't personally identify with avatars much, and 3H certainly doesn't buck that trend.

I enjoy the Edeleth ship (and the Dimileth ship, but that's not what this thread is about) more than I expected considering that they involve a silent main and I can't actually recall ever being terribly inclined to ship a silent main before.

With Edeleth I like the fact Byleth seems to be the one person Edelgard is able to open up and be herself with. She's very close with Hubert, but the relationship is a bit unhealthy because he's so demanding of her to be the perfect emperor and chastises her whenever she wants to take some time to herself. Reasonable from a rational standpoint of winning a war but not very healthy for her.

The player gets to Crimson Flower by having Byleth choose to trust Edelgard as a person, to believe in her and what she's doing, even though the available rational evidence at the time doesn't support that choice. So it's really affirming for her as a person and she hasn't had much of that in her life.

And finally I like how Edelgard fights for Byleth's freedom their fate as a vessel of an immortal being, with the ending driving that home with the symbolism of their hair reverting to its human colour (I mean, in this world where dark teal is a human hair colour). A lot of Byleth's story, limited as it is, is about them gaining their emotions and "heart"; there's a reason that the Edelgard-related choices for Byleth involve a heartbeat. Edelgard helps Byleth complete that path and gives them someone to love.

My favourite ships are two-sided ones where it's clear that both people support the other and make them a better person in some way and this one checks that box.

More generally I also think the games feel more complete if Byleth and the lord end up S supporting; those make good capstone scenes for each character and their route; the endings can actually feel a bit underwhelming to me otherwise since a few sentences from the narrator don't really accomplish much.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

The best one goes to Ike and Elincia in the North American localization of Path of Radiance. That one was so well-written and they had so much chemistry. Shame Radiant Dawn had to ruin it by pairing her with placid Geoffery. 

Tbf Ike has said countless times he hates nobility to its concept so marrying or even dating Elincia well...

And Elincia isn't gonna abdicate the throne of course.

I do like Edeleth, for much the same reason I like all main character with lord ships: you actually get onscreen relationship development that isn't only stuck in the supports convos like most relationships with supporting characters. The character arcs tend to tie in with them rather well, and even in ordinary non romantic scenes and dialogue you still get to see them interacting and engaging with each other throughout the story. By the end, it doesn't feel like that much of a jump at all for the relationship to become romantic, unlike a lot of the others where it still feels like after only 3 or so conversations....BAM! Your married without much fanfare in comparison.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

More generally I also think the games feel more complete if Byleth and the lord end up S supporting; those make good capstone scenes for each character and their route; the endings can actually feel a bit underwhelming to me otherwise since a few sentences from the narrator don't really accomplish much.

This is also a major reason, in particular to this game. I feel like even in the other Avatar related FE games you still have some kind of denouement moment with your lord character where you talk about what happened in the ending and what they intend to do in their world moving forward, regardless of whether you marry them or not; 3 Houses for some reason only put all of that extra 'main story related talk' with the lord S support endings and not with most of the other endings, which make the other endings feel lacking imo. I don't know why they did this, since I don't remember this being an issue in the previous games.

Even among the lord supports for this game though (I'm not going to count Rhea since I technically haven't seen it, but even then you dont get to be onscreen with her as much as the other 3 throughout the story), after marrying all three, in my opinion I think Claudleth feels the least romantic (I felt way more of a best friends/bros vibe from him compared to the others, he leaves you in the S Support, and the ending card didn't say anything else about the relationship), Edeleth is in the middle (since it did establish more of a romantic vibe outside of just the supports and the ending implies a relationship, but it was hampered due to the route being so short in comparison to the others and Edelgard not really showing much development as a character throughout it since she's mostly the same from start to finish; Claude had the same issue), and Dimileth is the most romantic (has all the juicy development in both character and relationship, Dimitri himself has the most character driven narrative which lends itself well to the rollercoaster of emotions that comes from his evolving relationship with Byleth, so much so that I felt the story scenes between them were more romantic that his supports at times, and he is the only Lord to explicitly marry you in the ending card).

Since Byleth is mostly emotionless by design, its falls to the strength of their support partner's character to really sell the romance, so I do appreciate the added relationship investment to the story all three present when on their respective routes. 

But considering how much I obviously love Dimitri in general, I suppose I'm a bit biased haha XD

Edited by Silver Lightning

Because the game itself kinda, forces it with it's narrative. Between her drawing Byleth, being genuinely obsessed with them in every route(Shout out to Ferdinand and Caspar for pointing it too in other routes) and Byleth having quotes stating things such as "Is there no way we can walk the same path as Edelgard?"

Personally not a huge fan and prefer Edelgard x Lysithea more, but to each their own in that regard.

Does Azura count as a lord? Considering the family aspect and despite technically being able to marry them, I don't feel like Corrin was especially implied to be love interests with the lords or at least Xander and Ryoma who are the main lords respectively. Whereas Azura I feel kinda was implied, at least with a male avatar. 

But yeah, it would be nice to have non lord implied love interests, but then at that point being implied love interest usually means they are a main character, which typically translates to lord character, sooo.... 

Honestly I'd rather have a break from avatar romance games in general and get a new game with a well written canon main couple. Something that the story is guaranteed to get me invested in since that's going to be what is happening regardless of supports; they don't have to be coy with implying things here and there, it just is. Alm and Celica are one of my favorite FE couples because of it. The only way they could have been even better is if they had gone through the whole game together, but the strength of their backstory and clashing ideas was enough for it to work. I want to see more of this nuanced relationship writing in future FEs, not just the older ones. Avatar pairings just aren't the same, despite the avatar x lord pairings being typically more fleshed out than the rest.

Out of curiosity, I feel like ClaudeXByleth is much less popular than Edeleth and Dimileth. Any idea why? Maybe I've just been looking at the wrong sites? Maybe Claude's relative lack of emotional baggage makes him less of a fixer-upper (that's a popular ship idea in any fandom)?

4 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Out of curiosity, I feel like ClaudeXByleth is much less popular than Edeleth and Dimileth. Any idea why? Maybe I've just been looking at the wrong sites? Maybe Claude's relative lack of emotional baggage makes him less of a fixer-upper (that's a popular ship idea in any fandom)?

It's probably because unlike Dimitri, who hits literal rock-bottom and is helped back up, or Edelgard who finds someone she can truly confide in and trust outside of Hubert, Claude starts off explicitly trying to use you for his own purposes and doesn't truly open up until later. Byleth's dynamic with him is more of a partner in crime, rather than a person they look up to and are supported by like Dimitri/Edelgard. The game basically doesn't try to make you feel for him emotionally as hard, really.

Edited by Axel987

25 minutes ago, Silver Lightning said:

Does Azura count as a lord? Considering the family aspect and despite technically being able to marry them, I don't feel like Corrin was especially implied to be love interests with the lords or at least Xander and Ryoma who are the main lords respectively. Whereas Azura I feel kinda was implied, at least with a male avatar. 

But yeah, it would be nice to have non lord implied love interests, but then at that point being implied love interest usually means they are a main character, which typically translates to lord character, sooo.... 

Honestly I'd rather have a break from avatar romance games in general and get a new game with a well written canon main couple. Something that the story is guaranteed to get me invested in since that's going to be what is happening regardless of supports; they don't have to be coy with implying things here and there, it just is. Alm and Celica are one of my favorite FE couples because of it. The only way they could have been even better is if they had gone through the whole game together, but the strength of their backstory and clashing ideas was enough for it to work. I want to see more of this nuanced relationship writing in future FEs, not just the older ones. Avatar pairings just aren't the same, despite the avatar x lord pairings being typically more fleshed out than the rest.

Those are the reasons I feel Alm and Celica are a terrible couple. They spent like two months with each other prepuberty and then never see each other again until adulthood where they immediately have a fight. That is a major warning flag. These two people are strangers who don't know each other at all. The basis of their attraction is on romanticized memories of their childhood (and I say romanticized with some hesitation, because their time together was capped off with a group of soldiers trying to murder them which really should be a traumatic memory) that by this point they can probably barely remember. It also doesn't help that during the time they were together they were basically being raised as brother and sister.

Edited by Jotari

12 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Personally i consider Azura much more of a lord than Xander and Ryoma. She drive most of the story, she has the deep connection whit the avatar, she has blue hairs.

She should drive the story, but she's rather lazy when it comes to telling people crucial details.