First - and Last - Playthrough, Lunatic': Planning/Help/Advice Needed

(I downloaded the gamefaqs save so everything is unlocked/available and I intend to use everything from the dlc items to how's everyone, etc.)

Why Lunatic' on a first and only playthrough? I might be a bit crazy, but I want to play this entry in the series, I want max difficulty AND minimum investment of real world time. Life is too short and there are too many games to play (even just Fire Emblem games at this point, I've only played 6-8 and 11), to say nothing of the myriad other demands on one's time (work, family, etc.), so one playthrough will have to suffice (then, if I fall in love with it I can always play again, but most likely I'll be content with one go).

This means that I will be trying to play efficiently, but not perfectly - so relatively low turn count, but not wasting real time trying to rig crits or level ups if I can avoid it.

I've done some preliminary research (browsed some topics, looked up growth rates, recruitment, classes and such), and what I want to know is who I should plan on making my endgame team, as well as specific reclassing optimization strategies, and then anything else (tips, missables, whatever) that you think is worth being aware of.

As far as endgame team, I'm primarily interested in knowing in advance so I make sure to give them as much exp as possible (and not waste exp on units I won't be using long term). Knowing the unit cap tops out at 12, right now I'm looking at the first 15-20 units on PKL's 2013-14 tier list (https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/43004-fire-emblem-12-another-lunatic-tier-list/&tab=comments#comment-2622144)

Likely locks include:

Malicia - early healer/late game sage

My Unit - main axe user (knight->pirate->draco)

Marth - forced to field plus Medeus

Palla, Catria, Ceada - fliers

Feena, Xane - fill in the gaps as needed

Ryan - bows (I've always wanted a good bow user, but in most of the fire emblems I've played the native ones - i.e. not reclassed - usually suck, so I'm glad to see an early available bow user with actually decent growths. However, it appears with reclassing this might not even be his forté?)

After that, the tier list would suggest Etzel, Sirius, and Luke.

Regarding Sirius specifically, it seems like he will be strong early to mid game, then weak endgame - should I train up Rody alongside Luke with an eye towards benching Sirius later on (especially given that I will probably have the deployment slots and chapters to do so before the team fills out completely), or would it be more worthwhile to just ignore Rody altogether, funnel the exp to Luke and other growth units and keep Sirius as essentially late game filler?

Likewise, is there a similar consideration with potentially replacing Etzel late game with Linde or Merric?

Incidentally, I noticed that recruiting the four bishops in Ch 24 requires Minerva and Merric. I want to do full recruitment, so will the chapter still be doable if I haven't invested anything in Minerva or Merric, or should I consider using them in my main team? I'm guessing it doesn't matter, but still want to check just in case.

Perhaps most importantly, all of my planning so far has not taken into consideration reclassing at all, which could change a lot in terms of the units that make the endgame team and even more how they get there. So, please let me know best practices for optimizing growth and utility via reclassing. For example, I've seen some posts suggesting myrmidon/swordmaster/archer(?) for some of the fliers, hunter or myrm for Luke's iffy speed growth, and also comments about Sirius being good for being able to strategically swap classes as needed. So basically who should reclass to what and when?

Finally, please include anything else you want to add that you think is worth knowing. For example, I've seen resource distribution suggestions such as growth drop to Marth, bond drop to My Unit.

Thank you for your help. I'm already kicking off the prologue as of this posting, but I go fairly slowly so hopefully some advice can come in timely before I make any irreversible mistakes.

If you want to do it for the sake of doing it, follow PKL's playthrough to the letter.

But if you really want to play this game, the answer is "start on Hard".  To truly understand why Lunatic is as difficult as it is, you'll want to experience some of the loot drop changes yourself.

Progress Update:

Reached Prologue 8. Decided to invest in Rody and bench Sirius somewhere in late midgame. It has been somewhat painful to give him experience so far, and using a more powerful unit in his place while giving that exp to MU, Ryan, and/or even Luke would have made the prologue much easier I'm sure, but already I can see it will pay off before much longer. Plus I'm a sucker for support bonuses.

Speaking of which, do prologue chapters count towards support levels? I'm guessing no, but it would be cool to find out that they do.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

If you want to do it for the sake of doing it, follow PKL's playthrough to the letter.

But if you really want to play this game, the answer is "start on Hard".  To truly understand why Lunatic is as difficult as it is, you'll want to experience some of the loot drop changes yourself.

No, thanks.

10 hours ago, Transient said:

No, thanks.

Then you don't need this topic.

Especially if you can't be arsed to explain what the problem is.

Oh, and opening up another topic in this vein is grounds for a warning (yes, someone's done this before).

Edited by eclipse