Three Houses in Ultimate: What were you Originally Wanting?

vanguard333

What Three Houses Character (if any) Did You Originally Hope to See in Ultimate?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What Three Houses Character (if any) Did You Originally Hope to See in Ultimate?

• Byleth
    • Edelgard
    • Dimitri
    • Claude
    • All (Three Houses Trainer)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None
  2. 2. Did the Reveal Change your Mind In Any Way? (positively or negatively)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Now, After the Reveal, Which Would You Ideally Have Preferred?

• Byleth as they are
    • Byleth, but different in a major way
    • Three Houses Trainer
    • Edelgard
    • Dimitri
    • Claude
    • Other (please specify)
    • None
  4. 4. Do You Think any Three Houses Character Besides Byleth Was Also on The List Nintendo Gave Sakurai to Pick From?

• Yes
    • No

This is not a thread for discussing Byleth in Smash in general; there's already a thread for that. Instead, this is purely focused on one question: what were you originally hoping to see, and did the Byleth reveal change your mind about it? It's as simple as that.

If you give any answer that asks to please specify, state your answer to that question in a reply below. 

Also, I'm not sure about this title; any suggestions for improving it? Ways to make it more clear/specific/in-line with the question?

EDIT: A new (related) question has been added; if you already filled in the poll prior to the question being added, please add your answer to the new question. 

Edited by vanguard333

I wanted Edelgard, even though she's my least favorite of the FETH lords.

A white-haired axe/magic armored rep in Smash would have been SO unlike anything else, and would have helped avoid the "Another blue-haired Swordie" stigma that FE has.

The reason the lords weren’t chosen because it would cause uproar among fans if one of was chosen and not the others. Putting all 3 would just have caused even more outrage of too many ‘ FE Characters’. Byleth was the safest pick, and I’m glade with the moveset they did to address the sword fighter issue.

1 minute ago, ZeManaphy said:

The reason the lords weren’t chosen because it would cause uproar among fans if one of was chosen and not the others. Putting all 3 would just have caused even more outrage of too many ‘ FE Characters’. Byleth was the safest pick, and I’m glade with the moveset they did to address the sword fighter issue.

Edelgard was the one pushed the most in all of the promotional material for FETH, and I never saw anybody get upset about that.

4 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Imo it was the least safe one because he is a blue haired swordsman, a trigger much more severe than just having 1 or the 3 lords.

I would have liked the "Three Houses Trainer" idea the most. Dimitri for high power and good range, Edelgard for immensely good defense and magic pressure, and Claude for speedy, ranged annoyance.

However, I kinda like Byleth being in themselves, but I don't feel like any of his moves make me feel "Fire Emblem" or "Three Houses." My idea was for a Class system, starts with a basic class with no boosts or negatives. They can then promote into Thief, which uses swords and bows, and is the fastest, but most easily killed; Warrior/Fighter which uses Brawling and Axes with high power, but eh abilities elsewhere; Soldier/Knight wields the Lance and has good defense and power, but not the greatest speed; And lastly, the Mage which has meh stats but high utility. This emphasizes the class system from Three Houses, and the focus on classes in the FE series in general.

I always wanted the 3H trainer concept, mainly since I thought it'd appease everyone. Claude would be like Squirtle, a fast combo character. Dimitri would be like Ivysaur, a slower well rounded character with range, and Edelgard would be the powerhouse, like Charizard. None of them use swords, so people can't really complain, plus they technically only count as one character according to how Smash counts Pokemon Trainer. Seemed like the best possible outcome.

With Byleth revealed, I like how he was done, but I still would've preferred the trainer concept. At least now we kinda have the weapon triangle implemented into Smash, which we've needed for a while. Byleth's lance outranges the swordies, the axe can tank the lance hit and hit back hard, and the swordies can just counter the axe. I'll take solace in that.

The Relic theft of other, more popular characters is something I didn't anticipate and still haven't warmed up to. That'd be like if you were redesigning Ganondorf and gave him the hookshot and boomerang. Sure those things exist in his universe and nothing would stop him from physically using them, but it's just not how you'd expect or want him to fight. It really feels like Sakurai was reaching with this character design. And the tone of the trailer and presentation had a constant sense of apology too. Byleth's whip sword feels underutilized, his crest makes no appearance, and his most unique ability - divine pulse, does not appear anywhere. Not even as a counter or final smash. 

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And the tone of the trailer and presentation had a constant sense of apology too. 

I felt it half apology and half mockery. Especially when they  presented the relic "Don't like swords? Here is a bunch of not sword as an eternal reminder that we are not going to put Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude because they don't belong to the glorius Sword Master Race." 

I think and hope that the intent was different, but it's what it felt like while i was watching.

Edited by Flere210

I thought Edelgard would've been a better rep- she doesn't have a blueish hair color and wields an axe instead of a sword. Byleth is important in every single route, but so is Edelgard. Edelgard is also among the most recognizable of the cast. Oh well, what's done is done.

If they wanted to add in an FE character without salt, that would have been impossible. Although I sometimes wonder if they could add in Dorothea or Lysithea as an echo fighter of Zelda. I also wonder how a popular non-lord character would be received. For example, Hilda would've gotten salt, but due to her popularity and design, she may have won some people over.

11 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I felt it half apology and half mockery. Especially when they  presented the relic "Don't like swords? Here is a bunch of not sword as an eternal reminder that we are not going to put Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude because they don't belong to the glorius Sword Master Race." 

I think and hope that the intent was different, but it's what it felt like while i was watching.

Sakurai was definitely trolling lmao.

I mean, I mainly wanted to see Dimitri in, and that didn't really change.  Whether it'd have been through a "FE3H lords trainer" type deal or through just a single character getting in, I'd really just liked to have seen him in the game.

I did have some feelings about wanting Byleth in for pettiness sake.  For one, I wanted to see the Smash fandom flip their shit again because I hate that childish fandom with every fiber of my being.  For another, I thought it'd be funny if Byleth got in because the previous voice actor of Byleth allegedly suggested he took the gig to land the role of a Smash character, and whether that was true or not I just thought it'd have been super funny that Byleth would make it in but it wouldn't be his voice.

But the pettiness didn't really amount to much.  The frustration I feel with hearing everyone groaning about it and with us not seeing a FE character represented that isn't just a sword wielder outweighs whatever satisfaction I got from my petty fantasies being realized.

17 hours ago, Slumber said:

and I never saw anybody get upset about that.

hey that's me

anyway, i didn't want any kind of 3H representation, because adding a 3H character would've meant that rex got shafted for no real reason, despite xc2 came out 1 year before Ultimate and it was apparently too late, but byleth whose game came out less than 6 months ago was perfectly in time to make it in as dlc

i haven't changed my mind, i didn't want 3H in smash, not in Ultimate at least

i would've preferred Sothis (even though i'm not a huge fan of her), because she would've felt, looked and played completely different from other FE characters (ALSO SHE HAD THE DAMN LETTER WHY THE HELL DID SHE GAVE IT TO BYLETH); another character i'd have loved was Rhea (no spoiler skin though), she could've been a strange but super cool mixture of palutena (shield attacks and divine magic) and robin (regular magic and sword attacks) with maybe some kicks and punches as her jab attacks!

also both Sothis and Rhea would've been purely female characters, something FE in smash needs more of imho (even more so if we consider that lucina will probably be cut from smash6's roster)

yes, i think byleth was the only character nintendo selected from 3H, he was just too """perfect""" and safe

Edited by Yexin

5 hours ago, Yexin said:

hey that's me

anyway, i didn't want any kind of 3H representation, because adding a 3H character would've meant that rex got shafted for no real reason, despite xc2 came out 1 year before Ultimate and it was apparently too late, but byleth whose game came out less than 6 months ago was perfectly on time to make it in as dlc

Sakurai meant too late to make it into the main game; he could still be in DLC pack 2. 

• 2 weeks later...

Edelgard. But between having Aymr and the Edelgard color scheme, Byleth will be good enough. Side note: now I actually know how to pronounce Aymr!

On 1/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Whether it'd have been through a "FE3H lords trainer" type deal

I've seen people suggest that, but how would the switch mechanic look? Pokemon Trainer at least has the excuse of Pokeballs.

Spoiler

Side note: I kinda hope that for Smash 6, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard become separate slots. I want to play as Squirtle with an actual down+B move, and without having to switch when I die.

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Edelgard. But between having Aymr and the Edelgard color scheme, Byleth will be good enough. Side note: now I actually know how to pronounce Aymr!

I've seen people suggest that, but how would the switch mechanic look? Pokemon Trainer at least has the excuse of Pokeballs.

Reveal hidden contents

Side note: I kinda hope that for Smash 6, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard become separate slots. I want to play as Squirtle with an actual down+B move, and without having to switch when I die.

For the switch mechanic, one of the most common suggestions was Rescue + Warp, but another suggestion was Byleth using Divine Pulse to rewind time and swap them out retroactively. The former probably makes more sense even though Byleth can't learn rescue or warp. But, to be fair, Robin can't use Nosferatu as a Tactician. 

Edited by vanguard333