Why didn't X happen in Y route?

Jotari

*Why doesn't Edelgard turn into a monster in Verdant Wind or Silver Snow. I know the war is going a bit worse for her in Azure Moon, but when people are literally storming your throne room things seem equally bad.

*Why doesn't Hubert tell them about Those Who Slither In The Dark in Azure Moon? Unless he does and we just don't see it because the game ends.

*Why doesn't Cornelia have Dimitri and imprisoned in Crimson Flower? Maybe because Rhea is hanging around?

*Why doesn't Claude...do anything at all in Silver Snow. Silver Snow and Church routes are near identical, yet Claude doesn't involve himself at all in Silver Snow even though he has all the exact same motivations. Byleth not teaching him at school doesn't seem like it would alter any of his intentions.

And the big, blatantly obvious one

*Why doesn't Nemesis awaken in Silver Snow/Why doesn't Rhea go mad in Verdant Wind.  Actually while we're at it.

*Why doesn't Nemesis wake up in Azure Moon?

*Why doesn't Nemesis wake up in Crimson Flower?

My only theory is that he does...and we just don't hear about it because the game ends. Why Rhea only goes crazy (different sort of crazy to Crimson Flower crazy) in one route I have absolutely no explanation for.

You have any potential answers for these questions or more "Why didn't X happen in Y route?"

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why doesn't Cornelia have Dimitri and imprisoned in Crimson Flower? Maybe because Rhea is hanging around?

Rhea and the Knights of Seiros there, she ain't gonna do anything.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

*Why doesn't Nemesis awaken in Silver Snow/Why doesn't Rhea go mad in Verdant Wind.  Actually while we're at it.

Because Thales is defeated before he can fully awaken him with the javelins of light in SS/AM as in SS lasts one month less then VW due to the missing Gronder Field part 2 and AM Thales is killed way earlier than other parts. CF I don't know.

Rhea doesn't go mad because Byleth hasn't betrayed her which is the main reasons she does.

1. The final battle with Edelgard takes place two months earlier than it does in AM, so she either isn't as desperate, didn't have time to heal from her injuries in Gronder, or didn't have time to prepare her transformation.
  2. He does and we just don't see it because the game ends.
  3. Faerghus is being occupied by Rhea and the Knights of Seiros, so Cornelia doesn't attempt her coup because it's harder to take over with the Knights around.
  4. Having Byleth's help makes Claude more proactive in trying to solve Fódlan's problems himself.
  5. Ferdinand speculates that Nemesis was awakened when Shambhala was destroyed by the Javelins of Light, so he wouldn't awaken if that didn't happen in CF or AM. SS ends a month before VW so maybe his revival wasn't ready yet.
  6. Rhea is bedridden for VW's final chapter, so even if she was losing control she would be too weak to hurt anyone. Perhaps she was more injured in VW than in SS.
Edited by Lightchao42

11 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Because Thales is defeated before he can fully awaken him with the javelins of light in SS/AM as in SS lasts one month less then VW due to the missing Gronder Field part 2 and AM Thales is killed way earlier than other parts. CF I don't know.

CF Edelgard isn't truly at war with Slither until after Rhea's death, so he presumably is awakened eventually, but we don't get to see it.

45 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Rhea doesn't go mad because Byleth hasn't betrayed her which is the main reasons she does.

Byleth doesn't betray her in Silver Snow though.

33 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
  1. The final battle with Edelgard takes place two months earlier than it does in AM, so she either isn't as desperate, didn't have time to heal from her injuries in Gronder, or didn't have time to prepare her transformation.
  2. He does and we just don't see it because the game ends.
  3. Faerghus is being occupied by Rhea and the Knights of Seiros, so Cornelia doesn't attempt her coup because it's harder to take over with the Knights around.
  4. Having Byleth's help makes Claude more proactive in trying to solve Fódlan's problems himself.
  5. Ferdinand speculates that Nemesis was awakened when Shambhala was destroyed by the Javelins of Light, so he wouldn't awaken if that didn't happen in CF or AM. SS ends a month before VW so maybe his revival wasn't ready yet.
  6. Rhea is bedridden for VW's final chapter, so even if she was losing control she would be too weak to hurt anyone. Perhaps she was more injured in VW than in SS.

This begs the question, how are events accelerated in Silver Snow? Because Gronder still happens, just off screen in Silver Snow.

Edited by Jotari

I have more questions, with y being Crimson Flower:

• Why did Edelgard not give a reason for the Holy Tomb raid before the fight? She regrets having to potentially fight her classmates and professor, but she doesn't bother to give an explanation for her actions, unlike in Azure Moon or Verdant Wind where she doesn't know any of the students (and doesn't know the professor nearly as well)?
  • Similarly, why was there no buildup-to-Holy Tomb Ceremony cutscene?
  • Why didn't the three-way-fight that was in most of the trailers happen?
36 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

CF Edelgard isn't truly at war with Slither until after Rhea's death, so he presumably is awakened eventually, but we don't get to see it.

That or him being able to be awakened at all was due to the Crest of Flames, and what happens to the stone in Crimson Flower means he's dead to the point of no awakening? I'm just speculating. 

1) Because -from Edelgard's perspective-, Dimitri winning is the literal worst case scenario. Rhea gets freed, the Empire is no longer and things -to her- would go back to the status quo that she started the war for. Contrastingly while she refuses to lose to Claude either, she believes that they have similar goals(which only works on a surface levels tbh but I digress). Further more, in AM, Fort Merceus doesn't get blown up by Arundel, whereas it does in VW. Those two reasons end up making her MUCH less willing to sell her soul completely to TWSITD to gain ultimate power.

re: Nemesis waking up, could Claude, and his crest of Riegan, have something to do with it? Maybe it's not Thales reviving him intentionally, but some sort of "ambient Crest energy" that wakes him accidentally. In Silver Snow, with Claude absent, they could fall just short of the amount to wake him up.

re: Rhea going mad, could it have something to do with Macuil? We fight him on VW (assuming we do Claude's paralogue, granted that's not guaranteed). Could his unresolved rage at humanity, as a close ally of Rhea, push her past the breaking point in SS?

These are stupid stretch theories, but they're the best I've got.

44 minutes ago, Jotari said:

This begs the question, how are events accelerated in Silver Snow? Because Gronder still happens, just off screen in Silver Snow.

I haven't played Silver Snow yet so that was my mistake, as another explanation I'll just attribute it to Thales being arrogant.

Thales: Mwahaha, all of Fódlan's nations have fallen! We do not even need the King of Liberation to eliminate the rest of those beasts!

Honestly I'm not too troubled by the lack of explanation so I haven't thought about it too much. Maybe we'll get an explanation when Three Houses gets an artbook in four years.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Because they attack Fort Merceus while on Gronder month unless I am misremembering something.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

*Why doesn't Hubert tell them about Those Who Slither In The Dark in Azure Moon? Unless he does and we just don't see it because the game ends.

No missiles, no Shambhala to find. 

Maybe he does in the struggle against those who slither in the dark. 

*Why doesn't Cornelia have Dimitri and imprisoned in Crimson Flower? Maybe because Rhea is hanging around?

Rhea being in Faerghus allowed for Dimitri to be crowned King and stabilize the place nation more or less. Cornelia has no means of actually performing a coup by framing him for Rufus's assassination. 

She planned on betraying them somehow another way, but Edelgard killed her before she could try anything.

*Why doesn't Edelgard turn into a monster in Verdant Wind or Silver Snow. I know the war is going a bit worse for her in Azure Moon, but when people are literally storming your throne room things seem equally bad.

Maybe cause Arundel didn't die. She probably guessed that with him gone, she has a real chance of beating the Agarthans after. So she needed to win the war in Azure Moon. That and they don't know where the Shambhala is, so they cannot afford to lose, else the Agarthans would get away.

"Because shut up."

- Abridged Ishizu.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:
  • Similarly, why was there no buildup-to-Holy Tomb Ceremony cutscene?
  • Why didn't the three-way-fight that was in most of the trailers happen?

The whole month was buildup... Hell the whole game up to that point was build up.

You mean Gronder? It does happen in other routes but doesn't happen here because Claude is killed two months into part 2 and Gronder Field was fought because all three armies fought in Empire territory. Since the war was heavily in Edelgard's favor in CF it never touched the Empire.

Honestly, I always assumed that her turning into Hegemon was because by that point she had TWSITD under -her- control given Thales, Solon, Cornelia all being taken out before hand. She knew she could deal with them after, and to her losing to Dimitri was, again, the worst case scenario, so she goes to the farthest extreme.

Nemesis not waking up in Silver Snow or Azure Moon or -given that the war against TWSITD was one in the shadows in Crimson Flower-, Crimson Flower is pretty dumb and presumably to have a unique final boss for Verdant Wind.

Ignoring that you fight the Immaculate One twice.

1. Because the whole thing was being prepared in advance ever since Dimitri took over the Alliance and cornered Edelgard. In VW/SS the game mentions your team more or less pulls a surprise attack on Embarr for lacking the resources to pull off a fair fight.

2. Most likely because Arundel/Thales dying during BL means the slitherers can no longer abuse their intimidation toy (the javelins of light), so it's plausible to imagine they see killing them later as a triviality of sorts.

3. Likely because of Rhea and the Church. If she attemped to pull it off, a kingdom mage claiming Dimitri killed his uncle would end up being less credible if the goddamn archbishop of the whole continent defended him.

4. He sends troops to you and goes MIA in SS after the Gronder Field battle so Byleth and the church can be the heroes.

5. No clue. From a narrative standpoint, most likely because Rule of Cool (Nemesis) and Rule of Symbolism (Crazy Rhea).

6. No clue.

7. The entire slitherer war is skipped over during the epilogue so we have no idea how that went. Nemesis awakening is a legit possibility IMO.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

This begs the question, how are events accelerated in Silver Snow?

They aren't. The game skips that month outright (aka goes from month 3 to 5).

Edited by Moltz23

She has two extra months to heal from her injuries and research the transformation. Being emboldened by Arundel's death is also an interesting theory, although I find it hard to believe she wouldn't have pursued any avenue towards victory regardless.

He uses the javelins of light to locate their base, an event which does not happen in Azure Moon.

The presence of Rhea and the Knights of Seiros make a coup dramatically more difficult, yeah.

*Why doesn't Claude...do anything at all in Silver Snow. Silver Snow and Church routes are near identical, yet Claude doesn't involve himself at all in Silver Snow even though he has all the exact same motivations. Byleth not teaching him at school doesn't seem like it would alter any of his intentions.

Because Silver Snow is a rushed copy of Verdant Winds with Claude and, for that matter, the Alliance lazily removed. It's never stated why the Alliance would submit to Byleth's rule in this route either that I can recall.

Verdant Wind's and Silver Snow's final battles don't make much sense even in a vacuum, let alone compared against each other, so I've got no good answer for the first question.

Explaining away Nemesis on Azure Moon is easy though, Arundel/Thales isn't able to complete the preparations for reviving Nemesis before he dies. For Crimson Flower, I imagine he may have needed something from the Kingdom which Cornelia was able to provide on other routes, but since Edelgard captures the Kingdom first she's able to prevent him from getting what he needs on CF (this would of course begin the secret war between Edelgard's faction and Thales' faction in the epilogue). It's also possible Nemesis does revive during the CF epilogue, too.

This is what I really like about the different routes here, because they do a really good job of demonstrating the efficacy of "For Want of a Nail", the nail here being who Byleth chooses to teach at the start of the year (and thus which students they motivate into action in Part 2). Everyone's already explained most of the stuff including the one I had questions about (the final boss difference between VW/ SS), so let me throw my hat in the ring for some of the others.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:
  • Why doesn't Hubert tell them about Those Who Slither In The Dark in Azure Moon? Unless he does and we just don't see it because the game ends.
  • Why doesn't Nemesis wake up in Azure Moon?

It's heavily implied that Arundel is Thales, so killing him in Deirdiu takes TWSITD out of the plot, thus Nemesis never wakes up. As for cleaning up the stragglers, we can assume it happens off-screen as you suggested.

Why doesn't Nemesis wake up in Crimson Flower?

CF is also the shortest route, so it's possible this happened in the epilogue. However, I think that working so close with TWSITD (even if both parties constantly doubted the other) meant Edelgard and Hubert had better intel on them and could thus nip some of their bigger plots in the bud, Nemesis' revival being one of them.

Why doesn't Nemesis awaken in Silver Snow/Why doesn't Rhea go mad in Verdant Wind.

This is mostly me echoing what came before, but SS ends a month quicker than VW, so perhaps Nemesis didn't fully heal in the former. As for Rhea, perhaps having Claude around to run things made it easier for her to relax, whereas without a de facto leader to rule Fodlan she was worried about getting Byleth ready for the job. I admit Rhea going crazy came out of nowhere, but SS does spend the entirety of the last month telling you that she might die soon which isn't struck home nearly as much in VW.

Speaking of:

18 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Because Silver Snow is a rushed copy of Verdant Winds with Claude and, for that matter, the Alliance lazily removed. It's never stated why the Alliance would submit to Byleth's rule in this route either that I can recall.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I remember reading somewhere that CF and SS were originally the only two routes planned and it was Koei Tecmo that made VW and AM once they were brought on board. And IIRC, the Church is allowed to rule Fodlan because all other authority figures were wiped out or went MIA in the war, so everyone threw their lot in with the only faction able to keep the continent afloat. It's also important that it's the Church that's in charge (at least at first), not Byleth specifically.

Edited by DefyingFates

6 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

And IIRC, the Church is allowed to rule Fodlan because all other authority figures were wiped out or went MIA in the war, so everyone threw their lot in with the only faction able to keep the continent afloat. It's also important that it's the Church that's in charge (at least at first), not Byleth specifically.

There's no reason to believe the Alliance's leaders were wiped out in the war, though. It never touched Alliance soil that we know. Gloucester, Edmund, Goneril, and Holst are all alive last we heard. While it's possible that an alliance of nobles that heed no king could decide to change their minds and throw their lot in as a theocracy, I would definitely want the writers to sell me on this sudden and dramatic political change. Instead, they devote no words to this change at all that I can recall; we're just told it happens. So either the writers lazily copied VW and didn't close up this plot hole, or they were just lazy when plotting SS in general.

53 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

There's no reason to believe the Alliance's leaders were wiped out in the war, though. It never touched Alliance soil that we know. Gloucester, Edmund, Goneril, and Holst are all alive last we heard. While it's possible that an alliance of nobles that heed no king could decide to change their minds and throw their lot in as a theocracy, I would definitely want the writers to sell me on this sudden and dramatic political change. Instead, they devote no words to this change at all that I can recall; we're just told it happens. So either the writers lazily copied VW and didn't close up this plot hole, or they were just lazy when plotting SS in general.

with the irony being, Crimson flower being the last route to be conceived 

1 hour ago, darkblade2814 said:

with the irony being, Crimson flower being the last route to be conceived 

I fucking hate when people say this. Just because it was the last route programmed doesn't mean the idea was last minute. There was NEVER going to be a version of this game, a game where Edelgard is front and center, the character who is the subject of the game's theme song, a character who they go out of their way to make sympathetic despite being the "villain", in a series full of cliche FOR THE EVULZ villains, where you can't side with Edelgard. To think otherwise is just stupid.

4 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I fucking hate when people say this. Just because it was the last route programmed doesn't mean the idea was last minute. There was NEVER going to be a version of this game, a game where Edelgard is front and center, the character who is the subject of the game's theme song, a character who they go out of their way to make sympathetic despite being the "villain", in a series full of cliche FOR THE EVULZ villains, where you can't side with Edelgard. To think otherwise is just stupid.

I meant that even Crimson Flower, the Last one to be made was better writen and more original then Silver Snow, who was plans from the get go, and seems like a reskining of Verdant Wind, it was not meant as an insult to Crimson flower, but to Silver snow, I should have phrased it better, sorry

Edited by darkblade2814

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

In addition to what was previously said, I also feel it's a good idea to mention how much worse the situation is in AM compared to SS/VW. In the latter two routes, the Empire has only lost their footing to the West in the Gronder Field area. The eastern half of the Kingdom is still under their control, and Cornelia is still fighting against Kingdom resistance, which undoubtedly has weakened in terms of numbers and morale after the deaths of Dimitri, Rodrigue, and many of their soldiers at Gronder. While she might be facing a direct invasion on the capital, she has not lost everything she has gained during the war, so she's probably more confident at this time.

Meanwhile, Edelgard is truly backed into a corner in AM. Any conquests she made have been lost and now a united resistance comprised of the Kingdom, Alliance, and Church are knocking at her door. Tie in the fact that Edelgard might as well be at her worst in this route as she never really faced the consequences of siding with TWSITD (i.e. the destruction of Merceus), she is probably not above transforming herself into a literal monster for the sake of her goals at this point.

Honestly, this bothered me too. The letter being found after the game ends is the only logical explanation I can think of.

Some people here have said the letter was just never written, but that doesn't really make sense. The letter was written with three objectives in mind:

• Inform the victors of the existence of TWSITD
  • Pass on the torch and tell the victors to defeat TWSITD
  • Divulge the location of Shambala

While it's true that the missiles weren't launched, that only removes one of the three objectives of the letter. Remember, in AM, SS, and VW, no one in the player's army is aware of the existence of TWSITD, and Edelgard and Hubert are aware of this. Informing the victors about the existence of TWSITD is incredibly important regardless of whether Shambala's location was known or not.

And the idea of Hubert not writing the letter because Arundel/Thales was killed doesn't make sense either. This is Hubert we're talking about after all. Do you really think he'll settle with only killing the leadership of TWSITD? He's probably knows the possibility of the remnants of TWSITD rising up again (like in the Byleth/Claude ending) too, so I doubt he'd neglect to write anything in AM.

While Claude's intentions don't change when under Byleth's guidance, his personality sure does. While still as cunning and intelligent, Claude appears to be more (for the lack of a better term) "cowardly" and distrustful, and he doesn't seem to understand the loyalty and trust he inspires in others - see his confusion at Hilda being willing to die for him in CF. He flees whenever he can see an easy way out, and tends to bend whenever things get really tough. While he could help Byleth and co. in SS, he'd really rather not get involved and chooses back out while he can. Same deal as him in AM. A VW Claude placed in AM Claude's shoes would most assuredly help out, but without Byleth's guidance, he lacks the spine to go ahead and fight when he has the perfect chance to run and escape with his life.

Why Rhea only goes crazy (different sort of crazy to Crimson Flower crazy) in one route I have absolutely no explanation for.

Because they needed a final boss that wasn't Nemesis.

11 hours ago, Axel987 said:

Honestly, I always assumed that her turning into Hegemon was because by that point she had TWSITD under -her- control given Thales, Solon, Cornelia all being taken out before hand. She knew she could deal with them after, and to her losing to Dimitri was, again, the worst case scenario, so she goes to the farthest extreme.

Nemesis not waking up in Silver Snow or Azure Moon or -given that the war against TWSITD was one in the shadows in Crimson Flower-, Crimson Flower is pretty dumb and presumably to have a unique final boss for Verdant Wind.

Ignoring that you fight the Immaculate One twice.

The Agarthans weren't ruled by Thales alone. There is an Agarthan present and fighting for Edelgard in the final battle in Azure Moon. Now what that entails about their relationship at that point is up to personal interpretation (I could see an argument for she has more control over them as she has them fighting on the front lines, Vs she has less control as she's let them right into her house and allowed them to experiment on her again).

11 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

She has two extra months to heal from her injuries and research the transformation. Being emboldened by Arundel's death is also an interesting theory, although I find it hard to believe she wouldn't have pursued any avenue towards victory regardless.

He uses the javelins of light to locate their base, an event which does not happen in Azure Moon.

The presence of Rhea and the Knights of Seiros make a coup dramatically more difficult, yeah.

Verdant Wind's and Silver Snow's final battles don't make much sense even in a vacuum, let alone compared against each other, so I've got no good answer for the first question.

Explaining away Nemesis on Azure Moon is easy though, Arundel/Thales isn't able to complete the preparations for reviving Nemesis before he dies. For Crimson Flower, I imagine he may have needed something from the Kingdom which Cornelia was able to provide on other routes, but since Edelgard captures the Kingdom first she's able to prevent him from getting what he needs on CF (this would of course begin the secret war between Edelgard's faction and Thales' faction in the epilogue). It's also possible Nemesis does revive during the CF epilogue, too.

Cornelia still assassinates Dimitri's father in Azure Moon, though, right? He's certainly seems to be dead given Dimitri's running things. Did it go down that Cornelia assassinated the king, blamed Dimitri and then Rhea was all like "no, he had good grades in school, he can't be a murderer," and then some other poor sap got the blame for it? Even then I could see Rhea seeing this as a good opportunity to implement herself as ruler of Fargheis to fight the war, though maybe she's not quite that power hungry. Or perhaps Dimitri's dad coincidentally just died of natural causes or warfare in the five years and there was no assassination at all.

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Silver Snow IS the Church route. I think you mean Verdant Wind.

Ah yes, my mistake 

Claude may not nearly be so supportive of you in Silver Snow because you're essentially working to put Rhea back where she was previously, and that sort of interferes with his long term goals. That's still a problem he stresses over in Verdant Wind because you still can choose the dumb "OMG BUT WE MUST FIND LADY RHEA" options, but he might be more willing to stick around and see it through simply because he knows Byleth better and feels Byleth is more in his corner. Luckily for him, she still quietly dies in the end and we get God King/Queen Byleth.

Also in Silver Snow, doesn't he kind of just disappear? He probably said "fuck this" and went back to Almyra, which conveniently leaves the Alliance without leadership in the middle of a war. I still think it's a stretch to say ALL of the remaining Alliance lords would be okay with submitting to a King, though... because the reason they became the Alliance in the first place is so they didn't have to.