Which Characters Do You Always Recruit In A Playthrough?

I'm curious as to who everyone chooses and why. Normally, I go for:
Shamir - For some reason I always get more crits with her than any other unit (including a battle where all of her attacks apart from one were critical).

Lindhardt - Amazing healer.

Raph/Felix/Caspar - Brawlers are an absolute blast to use.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That I actually use? Petra, Lysithea, Lorenz for Thyrsus, Hilda if I can get her. If I'm not playing Blue Lions, expand that to include Sylvain, Felix, and Mercedes with bonus Ingrid if I'm playing VW.

I went my first playthroughs without recruiting many people. Now I recruit everyone even if I don't intend to use them lol. Mostly because I enjoy having them around for their conversations and also so that I don't have to kill them. That makes me sad.

Well there's Ashe. He's a good boy who doesn't deserve to die. He also works pretty well narrative no matter the route. Being forced to fight for evil and defecting to the good guys fits him. Joining Edelgard because the church destroyed his family also fits him. 

I tend to recruit Caspar and Ferdinant von Aegir when playing the other routes. They just seem very logical characters to defect from Edelgard's side. You also kinda have to take Caspar if you want Mercedes paralogue and Ferdinant von Aegir if you want that of Lysithea. 

Sylvain - Trivial for F!Byleth, has a good paralogue, and gives you a 22-might weapon in Chapter 5. One of these days I'll not recruit him to see his dialog as an enemy on CF and/or VW.
Hanneman, Manuela, Shamir - Trivial recruits. My wife has already done a playthrough not recruiting them to see them as enemies so I don't have to.

There's nobody else I've always gotten, mostly because I wasn't good at recruiting on my first playthrough. But usually, I try to get Dorothea (good PC, Goddess Ring), Ingrid (Galatea Pegasus, Luin), Lorenz (Thyrsus), and at least one of Catherine or Ashe (Shoes of the Wind). Felix and at least one of Raphael/Ignatz also help with money, and Caspar/Mercedes unlock the Rafail Gem (and Mercedes is probably the best healer to boot).

44 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well there's Ashe.

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

As for me, it's always Ashe, Annette, and Dorothea who I found myself always recruiting. 

Hilda - Probably the best non-lord unit in the game if you ask me. Just give her an axe and let her loose, she'll snowball no matter the difficulty. 

Marianne - I refuse to have Hilda without her lover, that and I just love using Marianne, always really good utility.

Lysithea, Linhardt, Manuela - Warp is warp.

Dorothea - I just naturally get her in the course of playing the game, since my Byleth just naturally gets good Charm every time. One of these days my Byleth will stop being Charm blessed and I won't get her.

Ashe, Felix, Ferdinand, Lindhardt, Caspar and Shamir go where Byleth goes in my play throughs.  I normally do recruit everyone just because I can, but those people are my top favorites in the game so they will always be on my teams.

Dorothea was the only one I’ve ever recruited in my last two playthroughs because she’s something special. No way I was gonna continue playing through the story without her. Plus, fighting her as an enemy in Part II is not something I wish to go through ever.

Aside from her, there were others I only recruited once like Marianne, Hilda and Raphael in Azure Moon and Felix, Ingrid and Mercedes in Verdant Wind. Never recruited anyone during both Silver Snow and Crimson Flower, though I wish I had on the latter.

Edited by Faustino

I've not yet gone a playthrough without Shamir, Alois, Lorenz, or Annette. Used Annette on my 1st (VW) and current 3rd (AM) playthroughs. Used Alois and Shamir on my 2nd (CF) playthrough. Used Lorenz only on my original VW run.

I tend to avoid recruiting students unless I'm doing a "RECRUIT EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM" run to keep things more interesting in Part 2, but I always, always recruit Marianne. Even if I have no plans to use her, I refuse to leave her behind.

Helps that she's the one character that never shows up in Part 2 unless you take her in.

Bernadetta is always my No.1 priority. Not only does she consistently do well for me in my strategies, but given her past, I can't bear the thought of her literally going down in flames. 

Aside from that, Annette and Lionie are also high priorities.

I've used Marianne and Caspar in my 3 runs so far, the former because I heard she doesn't show up in part 2 if you don't recruit her and it's probably because she kills herself and I can't let that happen, and the latter I just have a soft spot for, didn't plan to recruit him to BL but did so I can do Mercedes' paralogue. 

I forced myself to not recruit Lysithea, Dorothea, and Petra to BL after using them in BE and GD and I can tell I'm going to suffer when I have to fight them. I also forced myself to not recruit Linhardt to GD, but ended up boss rushing the chapter he appears in so he wouldn't get killed by green units.

Ingrid: Has great stats when recruited later on and is the one I always use as my Falcon Knight.

Felix: Is a great unit for early-mid game. Even in late game he does a good job as an Assassin.

Sylvain/Ferdinand: Both are great characters with great personal skills and having Swift Strikes.

Dorothea: I prefer offensive units and stacking multiple roles on units so someone who can throw Meteor and heal with Physic is great for me to use even if her Physic isn't as effective as Mercedes/Marianne/Linhardt.

Lysithea: Always liked the female glass cannon mage type of characters.

Lorenz: Pretty much only recruit him to give Thyrsus to Lysithea.

Ashe: One of my favorites but I can't deny that on routes outside the Blue Lions I only recruit him for the Boots

For the most part I always try to recruit the majority of the Blue Lions members since they are my favorite group of characters.

Edited by NSSKG151

Petra - Too damn annoying to face after the timeskip, and you see her twice. Ixnay on that bullshit.

Bernie - She deserves much better than being used as bait for a trap.

Dorothea - Recruiting her is the only easy way to get a long range spell on my side, considering the other units that can learn one either aren't good (Hanneman) or have a weakness in Reason (Anna, Manuela) OR are unsuited to being a mage (Hilda).

Mercedes - Best healer in the game.

Annette - Hey, if I'm taking her best friend, I'm taking her too.

Ingrid - Also a pain to fight, especially in Crimson Flower.

Marianne 

Hilda 

Leonie

Lysithea

And the faculty and Knights of Seiros because Wynaut.

Lorenz since any mage can use Thrysus and they'll be out of enemy range. Also really good pick for BE since he can act as an adjutant for Ferdinand bcs of the whole "close ally" hidden mechanic that adds additional boosts to support bonuses.

Sylvain's lance can come in handy if you want to use it.

Any character that gives good battalions from their paralogues. Might be worth looking into flier ones.

Ferdinand, I like him, because he is Ferdinand von Aegir. Serious now, his skill is nice to have. 
Lysithea, always fun to use and has a good taste, sweets for the future!
Hanneman, his Paralogue has the rapier and he is very easy to get, just ask him. 

I am still on my first playthrough so I can say that I will definitely get the professors and Shamir as early as possible next time. A lot of you have a soft spot for Bernie, for me it is Ignatz. I will probably always recruit him first. I would assume I will always try for either Felix or Petra (because I don't know if the other sword users will match up). I also know that I will do the whole recruit Lysithea and then get Lorenz to give her Thrysus technique. It just makes sense.

My plan is to do Golden Deer next and since the Blue Lions seem like natural allies I will probably try to cherry pick them all.

For my third run I plan on doing Black Eagles-Edelgard (sp?). I hear I will need some muscle since they are mainly finesse.