Which Characters Do You Always Recruit In A Playthrough?

Linhardt - not only is my favorite character, but he's also an amazing healer and a competent magic attacker.

Leonie - she's just overpowered.

Lorenz - need that Thyrsus staff, yo. And I also like letting him hold it, because I like him better than Lysithea.

Bernadetta - she is precious and must be protected. The thought of killing Bernie in a war is just unbearable.

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I love spamming healers and offensive casters in my run so I always recruit Linhardt, Dorothea, Lysithea, Marianne and Mercedes.

Petra is my favorite female character so I always recruit her, she’s also OP af.

Leonie because she’s a good unit and I need that paralogue rewards with Linhardt.

Bernadetta is a must, I don’t like facing her as an enemy and I want to unlock her paralogue with Petra.

Felix because I like his personality and he’s an amazing unit.

All the church units, they’re literally free even though I don’t use them in most of my playthroughs.

I don’t like Sylvain that much but he’s always on my team since I only play F!Byleth.

Lorenz because Thyrsus.

Edited by Ari Chan

Lysithea, Because she is basically the goddess of magic. She masters skills and classes in no time thanks to mastermind, . Learning spells at a rapid rate. She is also actually compatible with the Thrysus which combined with the new Valkyrie class gives her ridiculous range. A total of six squares for originally 2 range spells. 

Plus, I do really like Lysithea. She is basically Edelgard's little sister in my mind. 

I also commonly recruit Mercedes because she is a great healer and fortify is very useful.

Lysithia, just a wrecking ball as everyone has mentioned. 

Dorothea, she's the natural singer/dancer so it feels right to assign the class to her. 

Petra, always get crazy speed growths on her. 

Felix, the natural swordsmaster.

Linhardt and Mercedes because it's fun to spam heals from a screen away. 

Ingrid has been my only character to recruit throughout, because she is just BEST GIRL.

Mercedes usually, as she's the best healer and I killed her one time (Crimson Flower) and her death quote made me fucking hate myself like I was a monster.

Marianne I consider a freebie, as she doesn't show up in Part 2 (and like Loki above, when you realise why that might be........)

Otherwise I deliberately keep the recruits to a minimum, as recruiting too many people really hurts the impact of the story, it practically killed my original BL runthrough as I recruited Dorothea, Petra, Bernie and Caspar.

Edited by ByzantineByron
typo

Petra, Felix, Lysithea, Lorenz. The first three because they always end up being good if you have a unit or two that get rng screwed, plus aegis shield for either WM felix or another crest gauntlet user/cavalry sylvain, and the latter for the Thyrsus and minimal screen time. 

I just realized that I always have Ingrid as a flier in my team. Always. I'm a huge Ingrid fan anyways, but I didn't think that I recruited her in every playthrough. Just browsed through my save files and yep: Ingrid is in all end-game teams. Most of the time pumped up with speed wings and march rings and all. I wonder how many Riding Boots she received from me in total. Girl's got to have a huge collection right now. Ferd gets tea every time, so that leaves her with quite a few pairs of shoes 😅

In my playthroughs (except my first) so far, I have just been exploring characters on different paths. Although, I have always recruited everyone I can from the Church of Seiros. This is what I have done thus far with students from the other houses:

1st Golden Deer Playthrough: Bernadetta (I didn’t feel like she deserved to be in the place she was, honestly. Protecc instincts made me give in when I was originally not going to recruit peeps from the other houses.)

1st Blue Lions Playthrough: Caspar, Bernadetta, Marianne, Leonie

1st Black Eagles Playthrough (CF and SS saves were split from chapter 11): Sylvain, Ingrid, Lysithea, Lorenz

2nd Blue Lions Playthrough: Linhardt, Dorothea, Hilda, Leonie

2nd Golden Deer Playthrough: Linhardt, Ferdinand, Petra, Felix, Ingrid

2nd Black Eagles Playthrough (again, doing CF and SS split saves, but at chapter 9 this time. This is my current playthrough.) Ashe, Felix, Mercedes, Marianne, Leonie. Also recruited all the Ashen Wolves this playthrough. They might be added to the “alway recruit” section. Although, recruiting them in chapter 3 was a mistake in management.

Bernadetta has been the only character that I have had in all of my playthroughs. But since she was in both Black Eagle playthroughs by default I don't think it counts. Also, I didn't recruit Shamir or any of the Seiros units in the Edelgard route.

Here are other characters that I have recruited on more than one playthrough out of my recent four, excluding their default house. Also, excluding Seiros units and DLC characters.

Ashe: Both Black Eagle Routes

Ingrid: Golden Deer and Black Eagles

Bernadetta: Golden Deer and Blue Lions

Marianne:  Black Eagles and Blue Lions

Leonie: Black Eagles and Blue Lions

Edited by Cron

As I only have played two playthroughs (CF and VW) and I can already tell that I'll always get Lythesia, Marianne, Ingrid and Petra since they are my favorite units and characters. It will be interesting to see if I'll add more which is very likely when I'll start playing AM to see how they are.

I always recruit all of them, because why not. But that doesn't mean I use them all. The ones I use would be Felix, Hilda, Marianne, Dorothea, Ingrid, Sylvain, Constance, Yuri, and Lysithea. I think those are the main ones.