What are your favorite herbs, spices, oils, flavorings, condiments, etc.?

XRay

Yeah, what the title says. What are some of your favorite flavor boosters? How do you use it?

I love butter and bacon grease. I can eat butter right off my knife. I love to save and use bacon grease to cook other meats. My favorite way to use them is to combine them and use it to cook filet mignon and douse the steak while the steak sears on my pan.

I love spicy peppers. I just throw a lot of it into any savory dish I cook if the food is just for myself. If it does not make me sweat, if it does not warm up my butt hole later, or if it does not make me cry, then it is not spicy enough.

I love paprika. While it is not very spicy, it adds a really nice depth of flavor. I use it the way you would use black pepper to enhance the flavor of a dish and add character, and sometimes I use both.

I also like Italian seasoning. While I would not say it is my favorite and I have not used it in a while, I think it is a nice foundation to build on for new cooks who are experimenting with herbs and spices. It is already a nice blend of herbs that you can use just by itself, but you can add a little extra oomph but putting one or two other herbs and spices with it to take your dish to another level. After the bare essentials of salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar, and oil, I think Italian seasoning should be next for any home cook to have. It is just so convenient and flexible.

Furikake is also really good. It makes shit like plain white rice edible and it is fun. When I was a kid, before I discovered Furikake and other techniques to make it swallowable, all I had to liven up that bland crap was soy sauce and fermented tofu.

Butter and bacon grease is a staple of the south. If it doesn't have one or both, you're not cooking it correctly here.

Salt is another one. I love salt. I probably should stop eating so much of it but I digress.

Hot sauce. Literally any hot sauce. To the point that half my Christmas presents this year were different types of hot sauces xD

4 minutes ago, Specta said:

don't @ me but mayo is the best condiment 

I'm not @ ing you, I'm agreeing. I don't like ketchup or mustard. I like both Miracle Whip and mayo, depending on my mood. Honey mustard is best chicken nugget/strip sauce. Don't like much other than that, I like butter in mashed potatoes but not gravy.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I'm not @ ing you, I'm agreeing. I don't like ketchup or mustard. I like both Miracle Whip and mayo, depending on my mood. Honey mustard is best chicken nugget/strip sauce. Don't like much other than that, I like butter in mashed potatoes but not gravy.

the mayo sisterhood begins

32 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Butter and bacon grease is a staple of the south. If it doesn't have one or both, you're not cooking it correctly here.

Yeah. Butter and bacon grease are like the best cooking oils/fats. It brings so much flavor and richness.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:01 PM, Specta said:

don't @ me but mayo is the best condiment 

you deserve to be @‘ed, who hurt you

mayo is only good if u spice it up into an aioli

On 1/19/2020 at 9:34 PM, XRay said:

Yeah. Butter and bacon grease are like the best cooking oils/fats. It brings so much flavor and richness.

i wholeheartedly agree, it sounds gross on paper imo but it’s so good

anyway, anything flavored by mushrooms or having some kind of onion on it is automatically the best. real mushrooms still blow tho

I love garlic as long as it isn't too much garlic because too much garlic is very painful for me but just the right amount of garlic is heaven

I guess I'm not very picky on sauces (though the kind of sauce I like is dependent on what I'm eating it with and also on how spicy it is because I have such a low spice tolerance), but my overall favorite is probably bbq

7 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

@Specta Guess who made her local Burger King charge for mayonnaise packets because she'd take like 4 at a time? This gal. -_-

how does it feel to be a legend

10 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I'm gonna bring my own bottle there and they can't stop me.

i have been worshiping the wrong god all my life

• 1 year later...

In general, everything that is natural is healthy and it really is important to take care of our health, and I personally do it by buying herbal remedies from nhc.com. In general, many plant species play an important role in local healing practices, and that knowledge of traditional medicine is still utilized and plays a significant role in our life. I am confident in these because medicinal plants have been used for treatment since ancient times and are still in use all over the world and the practices of plant-based traditional medicine are based on hundreds of years of belief and observations, which predate the development of modern medicine.

Edited by MsAkagi