Character Gameplay Changes

In the effort of procrastinating on classwork, my brain got going on the "Hey you know this character you love that isn't that great in the game? How would you change them?"

So I figured I'd bring that question to people who have a lot better idea about that than me! And also people who would consider other characters because my brain tends to get stuck on certain character loops.

To start! Micaiah:

While I love her as a character, her combat performance is admittedly subpar. I usually baby her to being viable but for a Lord, especially when compared to Ike, she needs some major help.

First thing's first, it would help every mage in that game if enemy res was lowered in general. Keep high res on certain enemy types but mages really suffer from the higher res on enemies. Then, Micaiah needs better speed. I'm good with her being a glass canon, but that requires her being actually able to double. I'm good with sacrificing some res for a higher speed because quite frankly her res is insane and it won't hurt her much to lose it. This last thing is controversial, but personally I'd give her access to dark magic. So far there's only 2 units in the game who can use dark magic and she's related to one of them! Also with her being connected to both Yune and Ashera it makes sense that she could use both. Also her last promotion comes too late, bump it back a few chapters.

Sothe:

This guy is amazing in Part 1. By Part 3 he needs major work and Part 4 does not do him any favors. The only things I can think to make him better are stop with the forced promotion, and increase his use time so he can actually, you know, be viable. He has amazing bases but later on his strength is too low for his low might weapons in most cases.

Ashe, Bernadetta, Ignatz:

Basically they all need either better strength bases or growths. There is no excuse for them hitting like wet noodles.

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Ashe, Bernadetta, Ignatz:

Basically they all need either better strength bases or growths. There is no excuse for them hitting like wet noodles.

One is a cinnamon roll, the other is a petite scaredy cat that gets beaten up by ''mister bunny'' and the last one is a nerd. They're all the ''smoll'' ones of their respective houses. I'd say that's an excuse to hit like a wet noodle. Their strength stat probably reflects their personality. 

To add to that I think Michy being a somewhat weak unit reflects her canon power too. Michy needing to be babied a lot is annoying but in the opening she needs Sothe to save her from random grunts and she collapses several times. I do like the idea of her learning dark magic. It would make sense for her to do so. Apparently dark magic is frowned upon because its connected to Yune which is Michy's spirit animal. Being able to use light and dark magic is a combination that can already be found in her ancestor Lehran too. Addressing that awful speed stat should probably fix a lot of Michy's woes. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Michaia is not even that weak. She just need to have time to earn exp and not promote super late and she is ok. 

Also, Bernadetta had 1 less base strength and 5% less growth compared to Leonie. You just need to have her damaged and she would hit harder than Leonie even if she is proccing her personal. I don't understand why people praise Felix personal so much whitout realizing that Bernie has an even better version. 

Micaiah’s speed is fine. Her job is to kill knights, tank mages and provide support, none of which require speed.

To buff her, I would give her more access to utility tomes and make Sacrifice do something that isn’t made redundant by staves.

Okay maybe I should've made this more clear. I'm asking how you would change units. Either buff them or nerf them. This is not entirely about their current roles, but how you would make them more or less effective overall. For example, some would argue that Tibarn and Haar could stand a nerf.

And no, Micaiah's speed is not fine. She's doubled by practically everything and her combat utility needs to be more than nuking two unit types that aren't even that prevalent past part 1. Increasing her speed enough so that she can double would give her a leg up in terms of combat efficiency and make it so she's not constantly stuck in the back because she can't take a round of combat since everything and their grandma doubles her. It makes her practically unusable in combat on higher difficulties and she's one of the two lords of the game! In short, she needs to be more effective. Some speed in exchange for some res would accomplish that.

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One is a cinnamon roll, the other is a petite scaredy cat that gets beaten up by ''mister bunny'' and the last one is a nerd. They're all the ''smoll'' ones of their respective houses. I'd say that's an excuse to hit like a wet noodle. Their strength stat probably reflects their personality. 

To add to that I think Michy being a somewhat weak unit reflects her canon power too. Michy needing to be babied a lot is annoying but in the opening she needs Sothe to save her from random grunts and she collapses several times. I do like the idea of her learning dark magic. It would make sense for her to do so. Apparently dark magic is frowned upon because its connected to Yune which is Michy's spirit animal. Being able to use light and dark magic is a combination that can already be found in her ancestor Lehran too. Addressing that awful speed stat should probably fix a lot of Michy's woes. 

My intent wasn't really to justify why their stats are bad lol. Just how you would make them better. Even the small people can gain some strength via training and while it's fine for them to start off with low strength, I still feel their growth should be a bit better to compensate. As it is now they're just far too likely to get strength screwed. (I had to make Ashe my dancer to make him usable. That's awful xD)

As for Micaiah, I'm fine with her staying physically frail. Her strength and defense shouldn't be increased. But her learning dark magic makes a lot of sense both in terms of lore (Lehran and Yune) and in gameplay. Otherwise you're completely locked out of using dark magic unless you get Pelleas or Lehran, which won't happen until late or very late. Dark magic would also help give Micaiah a leg up against Anima mages, as light magic is weak to Anima.

RE: Micaiah: I'm skeptical that giving her dark magic will help her - especially considering that dark magic is heavy (and not even good anyway, considering that Balberith is TERRIBLE). Her speed is already a problem, and dark magic would make it even worse.

Leonardo is a unit that could use some changes. He seems to be designed as a mage killer' with Cancel and a pretty high resistance growth. Sadly Fe10 isn't heroes so that high growth goes to waste with a very low low cap. His other high growths are in luck and skill which isn't that great either. I would either change his caps so he can fulfill the niche he is trying to go for or just give a modest increase in atk or speed.

Fiona bases could be a bit higher and she would also like it if there was at least one map that doesn't hinder her in some way.

I would change Felicia's growths for other reasons. Not because they are bad, but because they do not fit the character. A character that is described as great in combat and horrible at helping should probably not hit like a wet noodle while being great at supporting others. Same with Rinka who looks like she should have a good strenght growth.

7 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

But her learning dark magic makes a lot of sense both in terms of lore (Lehran and Yune) and in gameplay. Otherwise you're completely locked out of using dark magic unless you get Pelleas or Lehran, which won't happen until late or very late.

Yes, let's take away Pelleas' niche that he has, by stripping him of being the only Dark magic user you get to use for more than five minutes.

Dark magic would also help give Micaiah a leg up against Anima mages, as light magic is weak to Anima.

Only on Easy and Normal difficulties - there is no Weapon Triangle on Hard.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

5 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Only on Easy and Normal difficulties - there is no Weapon Triangle on Hard.

Furthermore, the magic triangle doesn't even do anything because in general, either mages have trouble damaging each other or one is so much stronger than the other that the other one's not going to be helped by WTA.

7 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

And no, Micaiah's speed is not fine. She's doubled by practically everything and her combat utility needs to be more than nuking two unit types that aren't even that prevalent past part 1.

Gonna have to agree with this;  the good news is that mages are slower than generic foot units in RD; Micaiah might not get doubled by them. Ideally, only mages should initiate combat with her.

These apply to radiant dawn, not PoR.

Nephenee: I don't understand why people think she's good? She leveled up ONCE over the first two chapters in Pt.2 and most of the enemies were close to equal with her. If she started out unpromoted so she could get more exp, she'd be fine, but because pt. 2 is very limiting that way, she has no chance. Esepcially since Mr. Haar's alarm clock goes off during pt. 2 

Astrid: Give her bases. Especially in speed. Rolf isn't that fast, I don't like Shinon. General consensus is that Leonardo is suck. She could have a niche role if her speed made sonic slow.

Aran: I don't actually know his speed growth, but it seems to be really high. For the sake of making the other Halberdiers relevant, maybe debuff his speed. I don't mind him being really good, you need that in part one. (Aran killed everybody in 13-3 in three turns and ORKO'd Ike on turn four. I promoted him to sentinel on that chapter.) Perhaps I got unusually lucky? (I kind of deserve it, Nolan's speed din't grow once in part one, and he finished as a lv. 19 fighter.) My aran's stats in 3-4 as a 20-13-3 sentinel: hp 50, str 31, mag 7, skill 33, sp. 29, luck 20, def 32, res 16. Are these stats weird?

Mist: gjve the poor girl access to some kind of magic after promotion! Her strength is really low so she won't do much with swords. A

Ilyana:slightly better speed, less strength. (She had strength 22 as a lv. 8 archsage.)

That's all fkr now!

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Aran: I don't actually know his speed growth, but it seems to be really high. For the sake of making the other Halberdiers relevant, maybe debuff his speed. I don't mind him being really good, you need that in part one. (Aran killed everybody in 13-3 in three turns and ORKO'd Ike on turn four. I promoted him to sentinel on that chapter.) Perhaps I got unusually lucky? (I kind of deserve it, Nolan's speed din't grow once in part one, and he finished as a lv. 19 fighter.) My aran's stats in 3-4 as a 20-13-3 sentinel: hp 50, str 31, mag 7, skill 33, sp. 29, luck 20, def 32, res 16. Are these stats weird?

Actually, his speed growth isn't that great (35%). You either got lucky or used BEXP.

Michaia is not even that weak. She just need to have time to earn exp and not promote super late and she is ok. 

Also, Bernadetta had 1 less base strength and 5% less growth compared to Leonie. You just need to have her damaged and she would hit harder than Leonie even if she is proccing her personal. Her problem is not strenght, is everything else. pretty much all of her growths and bases are worse than Leonie's whit the lonely exception of res growth.  Ashe is in the same boat but his personal is just utility, and so is Ignatz.

Nice balance Intsys. How can you not notice that a character is better than her competiton ON EVERY SINGLE STAT BUT RES AND LUCK. Do you think that mage killing is such a fundamental job that can justify lower stats everywhere else?

Aran has no great speed, but is very likely to cap Stre, Def and maybe skill early, wich make very easy to make him faster whit bexp. He is screwed by not getting 34 tho. 

Edited by Flere210

Bastian 

Path of Radiance

Change his skill to Silver Tongue, which doubles support bonuses on self and teammate.

Increase number of potential support partners to 5.

Improved base stats.

Radiant Dawn

Recruited in Act 2 alongside the rest of the Crimean retainers.

Same Silver Tongue skill above, with the added benefit of building supports twice as fast.

Improved base stats.

28 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Recruited in Act 2 alongside the rest of the Crimean retainers.

How would you do this without compromising the story? IIRC, Ike says that Bastian guessed his leaving would make the rebels feel confident enough to make their move.

Talking Radiant Dawn, I would keep Sothe how he is. He's the perfect Jeigan - absolutely essential early-game, decent/niche in midgame, then pretty trash lategame. Still a top 5 unit in my book, Part I is just that hard.

I like Micaiah getting Dark magic in lore (maybe C-rank on her final promotion?), but it wouldn't make her much better. Speaking of promotions, put her first one before I-F and her second before IV-P, boom.

Meg should cannibalize her Luck stat for Strength and Defense (say, +2 bases and +.20 growths in each). She doesn't need Luck with the fortune skill.

Wyverns should be weak to bows. Keep the Thunder-magic weakness, but make Thunder magic (and tomes in general) stronger. Crossbow effectiveness should only be x2 Might against all fliers.

Increase Fiona's bases, or de-level her by, like... 5 (with same bases), so she has more room to grow. She (and other cavalry) would be much better if RD included an option to dismount. Thanks, ledges.

Give Lyre a personal skill that lets her start every map with a full gauge. Give Kyza one that halves the rate at which he loses gauge points. Also laguz should have combat arts that go off gauge points, but that's its own discussion.

3 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Talking Radiant Dawn, I would keep Sothe how he is. He's the perfect Jeigan - absolutely essential early-game, decent/niche in midgame, then pretty trash lategame. Still a top 5 unit in my book, Part I is just that hard.

I like Micaiah getting Dark magic in lore (maybe C-rank on her final promotion?), but it wouldn't make her much better. Speaking of promotions, put her first one before I-F and her second before IV-P, boom.

Meg should cannibalize her Luck stat for Strength and Defense (say, +2 bases and +.20 growths in each). She doesn't need Luck with the fortune skill.

Wyverns should be weak to bows. Keep the Thunder-magic weakness, but make Thunder magic (and tomes in general) stronger. Crossbow effectiveness should only be x2 Might against all fliers.

Increase Fiona's bases, or de-level her by, like... 5 (with same bases), so she has more room to grow. She (and other cavalry) would be much better if RD included an option to dismount. Thanks, ledges.

Give Lyre a personal skill that lets her start every map with a full gauge. Give Kyza one that halves the rate at which he loses gauge points. Also laguz should have combat arts that go off gauge points, but that's its own discussion.

I heard somewhere that Fiona's level was supposed to be 1, but was changed due to a bug which set it to the same as the generics. Not sure whether that's true or not, though. 

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

How would you do this without compromising the story? IIRC, Ike says that Bastian guessed his leaving would make the rebels feel confident enough to make their move.

Honestly, that's such a minor, inconsequential blurb that I don't remember it. 

And for my part, I think an RD remake needs to have its unit availability reconsidered in general. It places unit availability under story constraints, resulting in terrible balance and the existence of over-complicated availability charts (something a Fire Emblem should never need).

Obvious thing to give Micaiah in my eyes is more HP and the Renewal skill so she can better make use of Sacrifice. Right now it's basically useless in serious situations and just exists as free EXP for her. More enemy dark mages in the game would also help to justify the existence of the magic triangle.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:53 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Imo all Laguz should start maps with a full transformation gauge, with some unique exceptions like Ike's Part IV map where they're ambushed while camping. It doesn't really make sense that these characters aren't ready to transform when 90% of the time they know they're about to go into battle.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:15 PM, Shadow Mir said:

He could appear at the end of Geoffrey's charge to inform them that Ludveck has made his move and that he'd been hiding waiting for it. That would give a bit more justification as to why Elincia won that battle too. Not sure where they'd squeeze the Renning stuff in during this scenario though.

Edited by Jotari