Which of Ultimate’s FE newcomers would you replace with other FE characters?

Perkilator

Just as the title says. With the FE series now having 8 reps in Smash, I figured we might wanna spice up the roster by replacing Chrom and Byleth, Ultimate’s 2 FE newcomers, with two other characters. Here are my souls for souls:

-For the base game, I’d (purposely) replace Chrom with Celica.

-For the DLC, I’d replace Byleth with Claude.

Edited by Perkilator

I would probably replace both with more unexpected Units, though it might take me a while to come up with movesets for them that I found satisfactory.

Chrom is a character I find not bad at all, in part because of the 'FOR CHROM AND COUNTRY' memes me and two of my cousins started up specifically to annoy their brother. I really don't know that I would swap him out, but I would for sure change his moveset up a bit - I'm still remembering Viridi calling him out on being more similar to Ike, so I'd probably make him a little slower and more between Roy and Ike than just lazy Roy with Ike's Up-B.

Having never played 3H, I have no real connection to Byleth. Honestly, I would prefer a Heroes or Cipher rep, though I'd be ok with a Warriors one too. My personal choice would actually be Fjorm, but I could be persuaded to go Nieve.

i honestly would just cut lucina, chrom and one between roy and corrin, maybe corrin: robin alone is enough to represent awakening, and he's different from other FE characters in smash, both for their look and for their moveset, while corrin's whole point of being in smash (promoting fates's sales) is long gone
but hey, Ultimate's motto was "Everyone is here", so we still have to see them in the game (for now)

if i really had to replace FE character, not counting that chrom was probaly made in 5 minutes during a coffee break, i'd say this:

i'd replace Lucina with Celica
Gaiden got a remake not long ago, also i'm pretty sure they'd have been in time to add either Alm or Celica in the base game, but intentionally decided to scrap the idea because the next FE game's main character would've been simply more marketable
she would share the "magic and sword" concept of robin, but she would have a much more graceful swordplay, and different spells with different effects

i'd replace Chrom with Lewyn
Genealogy is likely to get remade somewhat soon, and it's Sakurai's favorite FE game
he would of course be a pure mage, and i imagine him being a combo-based character, with many fast attacks, combo tools and quite disjointed hitboxes, but he would be a bit lacking in damage output (top tier material, basically)

i don't know who i would replace Roy/Corrin with, maybe Hector

Edited by Yexin

I would replace Roy with Roy that has a long range special move.

And, well, I said this a few days ago.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:45 PM, Jotari said:

Celica as a Robin echo. Seriously, giving her the same moveset as Robin only exchanging limited tome use for a minor HP drain would be a really simple and easy way to make a moveset that would change the character in some distinct ways. Very similar to Marth and Lucina. I can understand why it won't happen though. They're not generous enough to put in the work and give it away for free, and if they charge anything, even a reduced price, people would bitch about wanting a full character instead of an Echo even if it would be much easier to make.

Edited by Jotari

Chrom with literally anybody. I'd replace Chrom with fucking Shanam or Samto, two joke characters. Ideally we'd get like, Hector or something instead, but again... I'd take Wallace over Chrom.

Byleth I'd replace with Edelgard. 

23 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'd add Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude costumes for Byleth. Not just recolors.

edelgard's just too short, and dimitri's too tall

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Irrelevant. Smash is not at all above changing proportions to fit its purposes.

Ridley is too big.

Olimar is too small.

And we already have Robin as an example of a fighter whoose height changes slightly with alternate costumes.

21 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Not to mention, none of the, fight even remotely similar.

Byleth already uses all their weapons. ONly thing that would be weird would be them using the Sword the Creator as Byleth's alt.

25 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Not to mention, none of the, fight even remotely similar.

That is a strange criticism given that, as a turn-based strategy game, all fighting styles in Smash or Warriors are nothing but extrapolations of what little cutscenes and in game animations are available with TONS of creative license.

To say that the characters even have canon fighting styles would be false.

Replace Chrom with Ephraim. Lucina with...I guess Claude. I just don't think either of them have to be in when Awakening is already well represented by the cooler and more unique Robin.

Edited by Anacybele

Since Chrom is an echo, I’d probably be restricted to replacing him with an echo. In which case, I would replace him with either of the following:

1. Celica as an echo of Robin. Instead of limited uses, her spells (except Nosferatu) would inflict Celica with a small amount of damage. Her Final Smash would be her and Alm working together. 
  2. Micaiah as an echo of Zelda. Her down special would summon Sothe instead of a Phantom (as the Black Knight’s already in Ultimate). Her up special would be using the Rewarp staff.

I personally would want to use Micaiah, but I would use the former if told that I can’t use the latter.

As for Byleth, I wouldn’t replace him, but I would move him to the background and have Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude to the fighting; i.e. I would make Byleth Three Houses Trainer.

I don't see the point of replacing Lucina or Chrom for a non-echo character. I mean the reason echo fighters exist is because they don't take much time or resources so it's not like Chrom or Lucina are "stealing" anyone's place.

Anyway. I wouldn't replace anyone. I think they're all fine. I'd like to see Roy (and Chrom by extension since he's his echo) get differentiated more from Marth and Byleth get the 3H lords as alt costumes but besides that I'm ok with things.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I don't see the point of replacing Lucina or Chrom for a non-echo character. I mean the reason echo fighters exist is because they don't take much time or resources so it's not like Chrom or Lucina are "stealing" anyone's place.

Honestly, I agree. Sakurai please add more FE characters.

I've already mentioned this, but the title is confusing, as it states "Ultimate FE newcomer" which would only include Chrom and Byleth.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I'd be happy whit a couple of the marths not being there even whitout compensation, but they could remove, say chrom and incineroar, to make a non sword fe character and an echo on something different entirely.

27 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I'd be happy whit a couple of the marths not being there even whitout compensation, but they could remove, say chrom and incineroar, to make a non sword fe character and an echo on something different entirely.

They already put the development into them, why remove them? I guess what confuses me is why people would want to remove one of the most popular FE characters from the game.

Stuff like that is what helps the game, I think. I mean, lets face the facts. Out of the four Marths, Lucina gets the most play, why remove her? From a business PoV, that doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

They already put the development into them, why remove them? I guess what confuses me is why people would want to remove one of the most popular FE characters from the game.

Stuff like that is what helps the game, I think. I mean, lets face the facts. Out of the four Marths, Lucina gets the most play, why remove her? From a business PoV, that doesn't make sense.

Because thetought that there are so many charactere and no one use a spear or an axe make me angry, and having less characters would make the issue less rage inducing. I also thing that Fire Emblem does not objectively deserve so many characters while half of the franchises are not getting any love since Brawl. 

6 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Because thetought that there are so many charactere and no one use a spear or an axe make me angry, and having less characters would make the issue less rage inducing. I also thing that Fire Emblem does not objectively deserve so many characters while half of the franchises are not getting any love since Brawl. 

This is true, but I don't think it's fair to blame the FE series for this. But characters like Lucina deserve a spot in my opinion. Sure they might have been stretching it with Chrom, but having an easier to use option to Roy isn't a bad thing. I mean, some people just can't comfortably control the close range sweet spots. So from a gameplay PoV, I think it's nice to have for newer players to ease into as well.