If I skip fe6 will I be bad at fire emblem games?

Very recently I've started the fire emblem series with FE7, I adore that game. I've just started playing FE6 for obvious story reasons, but the game is gruellingly hard, especially because roy is such a bad unit. I found a patch which sets it on par with FE7's difficulty, but I'm kinda scared that I'll be bad at the FE series for skipping one of the harder FE experiences and only playing one of the easier ones.

What the others said honestly. i highly reccommend you go back to it sometime and try again. Don't feel afraid or worried about looking up guides and other helpful hints and stuff, FE6 was i think the only FE i didint play blind. 

1 hour ago, Rave Geographer said:

Very recently I've started the fire emblem series with FE7, I adore that game. I've just started playing FE6 for obvious story reasons, but the game is gruellingly hard, especially because roy is such a bad unit. I found a patch which sets it on par with FE7's difficulty, but I'm kinda scared that I'll be bad at the FE series for skipping one of the harder FE experiences and only playing one of the easier ones.

FE6 is my favorite game in the series but yeah, it's a bit difficult and I honestly think it's best experienced when you're already somewhat familiar with it.

You aren't going to be bad because you skipped (insert FE game here).

On 1/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, eclipse said:

Learn how FE works in general (damage calculations and whatnot), and experiment.  Make mistakes.  Make all the mistakes.  Restart everything.  Redo it again.  Keep failing until you don't - there's no RL penalty for screwing up in a single-player video game.

And then you'll never have to ask these kinds of questions again.

I gave this advice to someone else.  It applies to you, too.

5 minutes ago, Whisky said:

He said it’s decent. He didn’t even say good. Disagreeing that it’s decent means calling it bad. How good it is can be debated but it’s definitely not bad. It’s not perfect, but not bad.

Gordin edited his post after Zihark11's post, the earlier version was far meaner towards OP and warranted that response.

As for the topic at hand the two best pieces of advice have already been said, either come back to it after getting more comfortable with the series, or just keep trying and learning about this game, and don't worry about how many times you have to retry to figure it out.

Binding Blade is one of the harder Fire Emblem games, and is often recommended for those who are already experienced with the series. So no, you won't be considered a bad player if you decide to skip it for now and come back later when you're more comfortable.

I'm a fairly new Fire Emblem fan as well, when I was playing through the games I was having trouble with FE11 and dropped the game and played the others, after I was more experienced I went back and got through the Savage mode of the game. So No,  you're not a bad FE player if you skip FE 6.

Edited by TeeGeeThree

18 hours ago, Rave Geographer said:

ty for the replies everyone! People on this forum are so nice! I'll come back to FE6 after getting more familiar with the series.

Do me a favor and never ask this kind of question again.  We don't mind helping, but I do mind it when I think I'm being used for validation.

• 3 weeks later...

As a guy who did the same thing (play FE7 first game and FE6 second game), I kinda regret that decision, because boy oh boy, that game is frustrating sometimes. (and it became one of my favorites)

I pushed through but I learned many things on the hard way (rescue and trading strats, where the ambush spawns... spawn... don't even get me started on chapter 21). I think you learn to be a better FE player with that game but most games can do that in a "smoother way", so I wouldn't mind that. Skip if you want, if you feel frustrated playing through a game, don't even bother, maybe come back later if you want to give it a second try.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:47 AM, Harvey said:

Considering the many flaws it has, no..you won't lose much sleep in it.

You would however lose sleep if you don't play FE7.

This comment makes me sad. The more times I play FE6, the more I like it. The more times I play FE7, the less I seem to like it. It was at one point my favorite FE but not anymore. FE6 was one at one point my least favorite, but now it’s my favorite. It has some flaws, and a lot of frustration can be avoided in successive playthroughs after the first or if you look up some certain info online while playing. This makes the first playthrough potentially pretty rough. Despite its flaws I think it’s better than FE7. I think FE7 has a lot of flaws of its own that seem to stand out more in successive playthroughs rather than getting better like the flaws of FE6.

By they way, what are the “many flaws” that you think FE6 has? Ambush spawns are probably its biggest flaw.

13 hours ago, Whisky said:

This comment makes me sad. The more times I play FE6, the more I like it. The more times I play FE7, the less I seem to like it. It was at one point my favorite FE but not anymore. FE6 was one at one point my least favorite, but now it’s my favorite. It has some flaws, and a lot of frustration can be avoided in successive playthroughs after the first or if you look up some certain info online while playing. This makes the first playthrough potentially pretty rough. Despite its flaws I think it’s better than FE7. I think FE7 has a lot of flaws of its own that seem to stand out more in successive playthroughs rather than getting better like the flaws of FE6.

By they way, what are the “many flaws” that you think FE6 has? Ambush spawns are probably its biggest flaw.

I got nothing against it. Its just that the story is not well thought out and that there are too many bad units the game gives you that its not even fun. On top of that, its lord is the most frustrating aspect of the overall game as he is squisy and promotes very late.

Maps take too long to beat and the reinforcements are also unfair at times.

The biggest downside is the terrible weapon balance.

The accuracy of axes, lances and bows is nerfed for like no reason which disqualifies the usability of like the half cast automatically and gives the game no replayability.

Gonzales is someone I really would like to use, but the terrible accuracy of axes made him even less usable than he already is with his low skill.

Another big issue is that this game has only seize mission....... with exception of the final map.

Since FE5 introduced lots of new mission objecitves, FE6 went back to stone age, and this is something which really bothers me.

Edited by Falcom Knight

1 hour ago, Falcom Knight said:

The biggest downside is the terrible weapon balance.

The accuracy of axes, lances and bows is nerfed for like no reason which disqualifies the usability of like the half cast automatically and gives the game no replayability.

Gonzales is someone I really would like to use, but the terrible accuracy of axes made him even less usable than he already is with his low skill.

I agree that Lances and Axes should be more accurate. Axe users especially are usually not worth using. There are times when it is worth using Axes on certain characters like Perceval, Dieck etc, but Axe focused units aren't good. I agree that having more accuracy on Axes would balance the game better.

Lance focused units are already good. Armor Knights are at the worst in series in this game, but the Cavaliers, Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Riders are all good. Lance's low accuracy doesn't stop Miledy from being probably the best unit in the game. Some Lances like Steel Lances are especially inaccurate so I still agree that the game would be balanced better if Lances were a little more accurate.

Swords are the best weapons over all in FE6 but then we have FE7 where Sword locked units are considered worthless. In most FE games, Swords are often considered bad. 

As for Bows? What's wrong with Bows? They're a lot better in this game than in a lot of FE games like FE7. Klein, Igrene, and Shin are all good.

Like I said, I enjoy FE6 more the more times I play it, so I don't think that it has "no replayability". I think FE7 has bigger flaws and find it very overrated.

1 hour ago, Falcom Knight said:

Another big issue is that this game has only seize mission....... with exception of the final map.

Since FE5 introduced lots of new mission objecitves, FE6 went back to stone age, and this is something which really bothers me.

More variety in mission objectives could make things more interesting, but I don't think it's inherently a problem for the objectives to all be Seize. There are secondary objectives in some Chapters. More mission objectives shouldn't be added in just for the sake of having that variety. I think FE7 did that a little too much to over correct this problem in FE6. Cog of Destiny for example really shouldn't have been a rout battle. It should have been Seize or Kill Boss. FE7 has a lot of annoying gimmicks like protecting suicidal green units. FE7 has Battle Before Dawn. 

FE6 has flaws, but I feel that they are exaggerated. Especially in comparison to FE7, which I find very overrated, and I find FE6 very underrated.