What is everyone's thoughts on CYL?

Votes for CYL in general  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Lords of each game should be voted for in CYL?

• Yes, they deserve a chance to get a another alt.
    • No, then it turns into "Which Lord?" instead of "Which character?".
  2. 2. Do you typically vote for the Lords during the CYL voting thing?

• Yes, I love them
    • Yes, only cause they are the only votes that matter.
    • No, because my favorite isn't a Lord
    • No, because I hate the CYL event

Personally, I don't think the lords of each game should be picks since its inevitable they will get alts anyways with Legendary Banners and the like (*Cough* Lyndis *Cough*)

But I was wondering what everyone thought of this question?

Do you hate the CYL Event, do you like it?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see why you ask those questions, but I personally plan to vote for Eirika because she's one of my favourites on top of being a Lord. That's just personal preference though. I too have many characters I'd love to see win CYL that aren't Lords too.

10 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

i like the CYL events personally, i just wish the community had better taste. Its always lords or big tits that win. 

Exactly where’s my tsundere or kuudere representation in CYL. Beruka and Selena/Severa barely get any attention as it is.

The whole point of CYL is letting the fanbase vote to have our favorite units given special treatment. Arbitrarily deciding some units don't count because they're going to get alts anyway goes against the spirit of the event. It's not like all lords are created equal either. Outside of CYL and Legendaries Alm has nothing. Sigurd and Seliph still don't even have those, although given Julia and Leif they're probably getting Legendaries soon. Ike of all characters only got a "normal" alt two years after the game released.

That doesn't mean I always like how the CYL votes go (Veronica, Camilla, f*****g REINHARDT!!!!), but I've been casting all of my votes for Farina even though I know she'll never even come close to winning because I want to see her in the game and CYL is the best way to let IS know that.

4 minutes ago, KMT4ever said:

The whole point of CYL is letting the fanbase vote to have our favorite units given special treatment. Arbitrarily deciding some units don't count because they're going to get alts anyway goes against the spirit of the event.

Well said! I know the poll just started so any data is inconclusive, but it's interesting that while most voters say their favourites aren't Lords, the "should Lords be allowed" poll is at an even 50/50 split.

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

Well said! I know the poll just started so any data is inconclusive, but it's interesting that while most voters say their favourites aren't Lords, the "should Lords be allowed" poll is at an even 50/50 split.

This is probably the mindset

1: My favorite character is not a lord
2: The most popular characters are the lords
3: The CYL event is supposed to show the favorite characters and allowing lords would prevent some characters to get votes they needed due to a defeatist mentality
4: In order to prevent this mentality, the Lords must be removed so characters like Jill, Charlotte, Canas, and others can finally get some love and therefore some alts

Hey, I like Reinhardt.

I unironically like him as a character. He actually has some good characterization while simultaneously not being excused for his actions during his own game.

Also, most of the time I spend my CYL votes on characters not in the game yet so that they'll rank higher and have a better shot at getting in sooner. Been spending my votes on Tormod and Rath since CYL2 when I first started caring enough to vote, and threw in a vote for Luthier last year after I played Echoes. Might have to throw a vote to Marcia as well.

If I had more votes, I'd give Laurent and Miriel one because of course the 1st gen female and 2nd gen character I like most in Awakening would be the only ones without a single form in Heroes. But they'll have to give us Miriel SOMEDAY, and there are enough children characters left for a full second gen banner (regular Inigo, Severa, Noire, and the currently absent Laurent) so I figure those would be wasted compared to Tormod and Rath and Luthier and Marcia.

Personally I don't vote for the lords a lot. I suspect that IS decides who gets into Heroes at least partially though CYL so voting for the lords is a wasted effort on that front since they are in the game already. I did end up pity voting for Alm a few times because at the time he was uniquely snubbed among the lords. Seliph and Sigurd not having many alts is unfortunate but also understandable but at the time it seemed like Alm was destined to get nothing despite being a well liked lord from a recent game. As someone who liked Alm I felt he deserved better.

The unique Alm case aside I consider a vote for a lord a vote that characters like Niime, Azelle, Tormod, Muarim or others aren't getting and its they who need those votes. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The unique Alm case aside I consider a vote for a lord a vote that characters like Niime, Azelle, Tormod, Muarim or others aren't getting and its they who need those votes. 

Vote Tormod with me dude

My problem is that often there's a difference between, "Yo! IntSys! Add X random character to FEH!" And a thrown vote. Nealuchi probably is never going to make it into FEH, but I'm gonna give him some votes. The reason lords and cute waifus/husbandos always have an edge is because they're in the spotlight in some way. Take Gonzales, for example. He's probably the only ugly playable character in fe history, and he gets no attention despite the fact that he's an interesting character. I'm going to spend a majority on my votes on Eirika, both because I like her a lot, (she's my favourite fe lord) and because she's got a great chance to win this year. The rest will probably go to my favourites who will never actually win, such as Lyon, Rolf, Mist, Nealuchi, Aran, Laura, Sanki, Tormod and Franz

40 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Exactly where’s my tsundere or kuudere representation in CYL. Beruka and Selena/Severa barely get any attention as it is.

14 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

thats good

Actually, I kind of agree. Otts is gonna kill me, but 

Spoiler

Severa is a boring  and uninteresting character

Beruka's okay, but I don't think she deserves to win CYL.

Edited by Benice

I've always found it difficult to muster much excitement for CYL where the four winners are concerned.  It's an excuse for popular characters to add to their alt collection or a celebration of Heroes OCs I couldn't care less about.   The overall top 100 and how the most requested characters by game shifts is much more interesting to me, and is where fans of less popular characters can make a real difference.  In previous years I spread my votes all over the place, but this time it's all in on Salem. 

I think that banning certain characters is a slippery slope that will end with poor results. CYL is a popularity contest unlike VG, despite what some salty people argue so it stands to reason that more prominent characters are going to be the ones with a bigger number of votes. 

Lords get an extra push thanks to being the MCs of their respective games, and as such you are exposed to them throughout the whole game. I don't find that unfair, although I won't deny it can get a bit tiresome due to how predictable the outcomes become. 

As for me, I've been voting for Eirika for the past 3 years, soon to be 4. I'm not hyped about CYL4 because the 3H recency bias is certainly going to put Edelgard and Dimitri in 1st place while the 2nd place will likely go to a meme and Claude. 

2 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

If it makes you feel better

Your pick literally got 10 times as many votes as my favorite (Really salt inducing when my favorite got at least 1,000 in the first CYL)

Nealuchi in the corner with 67 votes in CYL 1

49 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I tend to vote to show that there is interest in Thracia/Genealogy, not for anyone that has an actual chance of winning.

This is exactly why I vote, to give recognition to characters from Judgral.  I don't dream they would actually win CYL, but maybe help them get enough support to get more representation.  More characters in the game.  

54 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

i like the CYL events personally, i just wish the community had better taste. Its always lords or big tits that win

Sometimes both! 

4 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I think that banning certain characters is a slippery slope that will end with poor results. CYL is a popularity contest unlike VG, despite what some salty people argue so it stands to reason that more prominent characters are going to be the ones with a bigger number of votes. 

Lords get an extra push thanks to being the MCs of their respective games, and as such you are exposed to them throughout the whole game. I don't find that unfair, although I won't deny it can get a bit tiresome due to how predictable the outcomes become. 

As for me, I've been voting for Eirika for the past 3 years, soon to be 4. I'm not hyped about CYL4 because the 3H recency bias is certainly going to put Edelgard and Dimitri in 1st place while the 2nd place will likely go to a meme and Claude. 

And that's the problem, the Lords get the extra push which can make it really unfair for other characters.

It would be just as fair as having a contest about favorite supporting actors, and including a main actor cause he played a supporting actor once.

It would be different if there was a contest for favorite lord and top for favorite characters, but that isn't the case

I'd be okay with Reinhardt placing top two in CYL this year and never getting another alt again, but I highly doubt he's going to place second. He has to compete with Dmitri, Claude, and Marth. Not to mention that Chrom and m!Robin were above him in CYL3 despite Reinhardt being higher than both in CYL2. I'll be content as long as he doesn't fall out of top 100.

Might also throw a vote to Eirika and Marth because, yes, I know they have a lot of alts. But they kind of got cheated unfairly due to votes being split in CYL2 and Eirika getting a random ass mage knight alt in the middle of CYL voting. Without that, she certainly had a shot at being second in CYL2, since Veronica was further below her and won anyway. I also legit like Eirika.

17 minutes ago, Benice said:

Severa is a boring  and uninteresting character

Them is fightin’ words. I hope you realize that

18 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

If it makes you feel better

Your pick literally got 10 times as many votes as my favorite (Really salt inducing when my favorite got at least 1,000 in the first CYL)

Oh I know I'm just meming. Well that plus a swath of disappointment over her not getting an alt after 2 YEARS almost three if this game being out

Edited by Ottservia