Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2: May our hearts be our guiding light

Perkilator

It's hard to say what they'll pick. I agree that Nintendo wants to represent games from all eras and of all kinds of genres. Sakurai himself considers Smash to be a celebration of gaming, now. How on earth they're going to prioritize is beyond me. So many expect Crash at this point that I'd be very gobsamacked if Nintendo didn't include him. Lloyd is a decent representative for Namco, though I'm not sure how unique his moveset would be. Ryu would be a good candidate save for the fact Tecmo Koei has had a long history of adversity with Capcom, and recently lost $1.3 million to them. I can't offer much speculation on future Nintendo reps. Arle Nadja would be welcome just for being a cute magician girl, all the better if they can find a way to implement Puyo. I don't think Master Chief is particularly likely, B&K were chosen because of their history with Nintendo.

My current forecast:

• Crash Bandicoot
  • Lara Croft
  • Dante
  • Miriam
  • Yooka & Laylee
  • Shantae
Edited by Lord_Brand

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lord_Brand When it comes to Master Chief, they could always create a history with Nintendo. All jokes aside, I don't think obscurity on Nintendo consoles is a huge issue since we got Joker whose main game (Persona 5) is not on a Nintendo console yet. 

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

@Lord_Brand When it comes to Master Chief, they could always create a history with Nintendo. All jokes aside, I don't think obscurity on Nintendo consoles is a huge issue since we got Joker whose main game (Persona 5) is not on a Nintendo console yet. 

Joker was announced to appear in Persona Q2 on the 3DS before his own Smash announcement. Appearance on a Nintento console/handheld is something that is still seemingly maintained, main game or not. That's how Cloud is in, since he has appeared in the Kingdom Hearts games that were on the GBA and NDS, even if it took a long while for FFVII itself to have a Nintendo appearance (when it got the Switch port).

If we want other Microsoft reps in Smash, how about some of the other Rare series that have appeared on Nintendo systems before: Sabreman, Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct, Joanna Dark, or (though I'm not sure how you'd swing this one) Conker?

Come to think of it, Rare games could be a good source of Spirit events, too. Like, the Battletoads could be represented by Greninja, the Dark Queen by Bayonetta, Sabreman by Mario, Jago by Ryu, Sabrewulf by Wolf, Joanna Dark by Zero Suit Samus, etc.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 3 weeks later...

I know the Vol. 2 roster was already decided, but I’d like to ask something. If COVID-19 affects Vol. 2 in any way, do you think we’ll get the occasional Nintendo character OUTSIDE the pass while the Vol. 2 Challenger Packs are in development? As in, no specific stage for that outside character and MAYBE a bit of music?

Unlikely, as fighters take up more time and resources than basically any other asset. Bonus Spirits, Mii Costumes, and/or Songs would be more likely, as in those cases most of the work's done already. If they were going to make extra fighters, they'd probably be Echoes since, again, most of the work would already be done. I'm still vexed that Impa, Shadow, and Zack weren't included as Echoes, they were such obvious choices.

Edited by Lord_Brand

On 3/20/2020 at 7:26 PM, Perkilator said:

I know the Vol. 2 roster was already decided, but I’d like to ask something. If COVID-19 affects Vol. 2 in any way, do you think we’ll get the occasional Nintendo character OUTSIDE the pass while the Vol. 2 Challenger Packs are in development? As in, no specific stage for that outside character and MAYBE a bit of music?

I would love that idea, but I don't think it is likely. Coronavirus would put a halt to ALL development.

Also, in response to the ARMS character announcement I'll have to revise my predictions. (I'm legit worried about this pass, an ARMS character is not a strong first choice...) 

Edited by Bk1234

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Still hoping for Crash, daring to hope for Krystal and Shantae (at least until the ARMS fighter is revealed to not be any of the characters already represented as ATs or Spirits).

What's really scary about this ARMS character announcement is that it made me doubt the chances of Crash, a character who I thought was a shoe-in, of getting in. I'm legit worried!

I think Ribbon Girl might be the ARMS character for Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since she was one of the two focused characters alongside Spring Man in the debut trailer, boxart, and promotional materials. I'm still happy that we are getting an ARMS rep for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I think Ribbon Girl might be the ARMS character for Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since she was one of the two focused characters alongside Spring Man in the debut trailer, boxart, and promotional materials. I'm still happy that we are getting an ARMS rep for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I hope! This would mean Rex has a chance! 🤴

• 3 weeks later...

With the positive reception of Sakura Wars and Streets of Rage 4, which pure SEGA rep (as in, not like Bayonetta—who was created by Platinum Games—or Joker—who was created by ATLUS) would you want: Sakura Shinguji or Axel Stone?

3 hours ago, Perkilator said:

With the positive reception of Sakura Wars and Streets of Rage 4, which pure SEGA rep (as in, not like Bayonetta—who was created by Platinum Games—or Joker—who was created by ATLUS) would you want: Sakura Shinguji or Axel Stone?

I'm not really familiar with these games. What are they like? 

11 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I'm not really familiar with these games. What are they like? 

Sakura Wars is a mix between visual novel, dating sim and giant mech suit tactical RPG. Streets of Rage is a beat ‘em up series where you punch a bunch of dudes as you progress.

5 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I made my own vision for if I were in charge of picking characters for Ultimate, along with some wishes for FP Vol. 2:1354636514_UltimateRosterwithsometweaks.png.0043465a8e5ddb79d37a49f97d62c58e.png

The program I used is called Roster Maker: https://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-11-0-available.336761/

Pretty good roster, but no Isabelle... 😢

Edited by Bk1234

8 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I made my own vision for if I were in charge of picking characters for Ultimate, along with some wishes for FP Vol. 2:1354636514_UltimateRosterwithsometweaks.png.0043465a8e5ddb79d37a49f97d62c58e.png

The program I used is called Roster Maker: https://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-11-0-available.336761/

Why is Pokemon Traineer a seperate character to Squitle, Ivysaur and Charizard?

17 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I like the FP 1 roster, I'm surprised Resident Evil didn't get a rep in FP 1. The FP 2 roster is cool and interesting! Anna is a great rep to represent the Fire Emblem series as a whole (I'm curious about Caeda in the base game... 👍), Min Min is my #1 pick for the ARMS rep, Crash is a solid modern/legacy third party character, I'm not familiar with Axel Stone, Captain Toad is an interesting first-party character, and Sora is amazing. (Only issue is no Isabelle... 😢👎)

Edited by Bk1234

On 5/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, Bk1234 said:

I like the FP 1 roster, I'm surprised Resident Evil didn't get a rep in FP 1. The FP 2 roster is cool and interesting! Anna is a great rep to represent the Fire Emblem series as a whole (I'm curious about Caeda in the base game... 👍), Min Min is my #1 pick for the ARMS rep, Crash is a solid modern/legacy third party character, I'm not familiar with Axel Stone, Captain Toad is an interesting first-party character, and Sora is amazing. (Only issue is no Isabelle... 😢👎)

Unless they want to go with Wesker, Snake already kind of covers the niche any Resident Evil protagonist could really fill. Not that you can't necessary have two different movesets based around fire arms, but there are other characters with more interesting moveset potential out there (such as Wesker).

Edited by Jotari