Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2: May our hearts be our guiding light

Perkilator

I expect that Crash will be Pack #11, as its likely release window would coincide with the release of his first game. We're getting Pyra & Mythra in March, and so far the pattern for FP2 has been a release in the first month of each season with the exception of Steve, which means we're probably getting DLC Pack #10 in June and Pack #11 in September. Crash Bandicoot's release date? September 9th, 1996 (which means he's celebrating his 25th anniversary this year, making adding him to Smash even more appropriate).

That leaves the matter of who Pack #10 will be. It's interesting that June would be the projected release month for #10, because do you know what game series debuted in June? On June 2, 2002, specifically?

Shantae.

I'm still holding out hope for the bandicoot and the belly dancer. The roster just doesn't feel complete without the fuzzy marsupial and the half-genie hero to round out the colorful cast.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, vanguard333 said:

Ah; by "not acknowledged with this series", I thought you had meant that you hadn't played any games in the series. My bad. 

I stopped playing VIII after an hour because I got totally lost.

I played a bit more in I, but not significant enough to get to know much about the main character and story.

On 2/20/2021 at 1:01 AM, Lord_Brand said:

I expect that Crash will be Pack #12, as its likely release window would coincide with the release of his first game. We're getting Pyra & Mythra in March, and so far the pattern for FP2 has been a release in the first month of each season with the exception of Steve, which means we're probably getting DLC Pack #11 in June and Pack #12 in September. Crash Bandicoot's release date? September 9th, 1996 (which means he's celebrating his 25th anniversary this year, making adding him to Smash even more appropriate).

That leaves the matter of who Pack #11 will be. It's interesting that June would be the projected release month for #11, because do you know what game series debuted in June? On June 2, 2002, specifically?

Shantae.

I'm still holding out hope for the bandicoot and the belly dancer. The roster just doesn't feel complete without the fuzzy marsupial and the half-genie hero to round out the colorful cast.

As in Challenger Pack #12 that you mean by Sakurai should make a Fighters Pass Vol. 3 that has it bewteen 12 and somewhere close enough after 15 (like it contains Challenger Pack 12 to either 16, 17, or higher than that) and announce it sometime during at Challenger Pack 10's or 11's announcement, correct? I definitely think Shantae will might make it in somewhere at #10 or #11 since she was been requested during at in the For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U era.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

As in Challenger Pack #12 that you mean by Sakurai should make a Fighters Pass Vol. 3 that has 12 and close enough somewhere after 15 (like 12 to either 16, 17, or higher than that) and announce it sometime during at Challenger Pack 10's or 11's announcement, correct? I definitely think Shantae will might make it in somewhere at #10 or #11 since she was been requested during at in the For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U era.

Oh, whoops, I got my numbering mixed up! I should have said 10 and 11, not 11 and 12. I'll fix that.

Would definitely love a Vol. 3, though. You know what they say: The more, the merrier! But should Vol. 3 have seven packs to keep the incremental pattern going?

Edited by Lord_Brand

6 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Oh, whoops, I got my numbering mixed up! I should have said 10 and 11, not 11 and 12. I'll fix that.

Would definitely love a Vol. 3, though. You know what they say: The more, the merrier!

I'm not a big Crash fan since I mostly play the Spyro games. But, wasn't the requests of Crash to Smash Bros. started around in Ultimate development than For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U since alot of newcomer fighters that I know from Ultimate were been requested from the Fighter Ballot when it was used For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U era like King K. Rool, Chrom, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Isabelle, Eight (highest Dragon Quest requested character in the West), Dark Samus, Steve, Daisy, etc.?

Edited by King Marth 64

Ah, if I could any 2 characters, it would be Arle (from Puyo Puyo) and Jibanyan, but my dreams for any Yo-Kai Watch representation in Smash were crushed long ago. If I were more realistic, Arle and a Monster Hunter rep would be cool admittedly.

I'm still putting my hopes that we might something new for Challenger Pack 10 and 11 in Fighter Pass Vol. 2. I'm just giving my thought that I don't think Dante nor Monster Hunter rep be likely due to they been lately requested during in the middle of Ultimate's development and we already have 2 Capcom Franchises already, but I'm still not too sure about Crash might make it though. I seriously think Sakurai and Nintendo will might fill in a 2nd Bandai Namco Character in for either Challenger Pack 10 and 11 since Bandai Namco hadn't gotten a 2nd Bandai Namco franchise rep yet in Ultimate.

Edit from March 4th: Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation shows the Mii Fighter Costume Round 9 that the two Monster Hunter Costumes from For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U returned along with Felyne Hat came today. I totally did predicted that the Monster Hunter Rep would deconfirmed. I'm still giving my hopes for a spot of the 2nd Bandai Namco franchise rep (Llyod Irving or a different 2nd Bandai Namco Franchise Rep) would show up to Fighter Pass Vol. 2 either Challenger Pack 10 or 11.

Edited by King Marth 64
Just confirmed from Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Jingilator said:

Daily reminder that Sora's moveset alone can work without Disney characters.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a2E4rs0t4XMtIi0MNma_SxJHy2xIRav7eYLd1mg8GeE/edit?usp=drivesdk
I made sure that every single attack in this moveset was something he did in the games.

I don't think anyone who's ever even seen Kingdom Hearts much less played it would think Sora's moveset would necessitate other Disney characters. The way he plays in game is very obviously original created and not derived from Disney IPs (course he himself is still a Disney IP, but I'm not sure that's as much of a hurdle as many  people think it is).

7 hours ago, Jingilator said:

Daily reminder that Sora's moveset alone can work without Disney characters.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a2E4rs0t4XMtIi0MNma_SxJHy2xIRav7eYLd1mg8GeE/edit?usp=drivesdk
I made sure that every single attack in this moveset was something he did in the games.

The issue isn't Sora's moveset, it's the fact he and his series are closely tied to characters who can't appear in Smash due to them originating outside video games like Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. Yeah, you could edit Sora's appearance to omit all Disney references and keep the Spirits, background characters, etc. limited to those who originate from KH proper like Riku and Kairi, but why would Disney agree to that when it means they get the short end of the stick? Not to mention the Disney half of the equation is a big part of KH's appeal in the first place; it'd be like adding Ruby Heart from Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and not including any Marvel content.

There is a case to be made for the KH-specific versions of Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, who possess characteristics unique to their portrayal in this series like Mickey's Keyblade and Donald's magic, but unlike, say, the Castlevania version of Dracula, who is a public domain character, Disney's characters most certainly are not public domain, and if Nintendo were to allow the KH-specific versions of Mickey and co. into Smash, that would weaken their defense against characters like Goku or Marvel superheroes who also have video game-specific portrayals. It'd just be safer and easier for Nintendo to say "No" outright.

EDIT: Moved the rest of this post to the main Smash topic, as it discusses content other than DLC fighters.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, IkaMusumeYiyaRoxie said:

Talis needs an another chance to be playable, and Sonic series needs more characters, because, Sonic is alone without his friends.

I completely agree that there should be more Sonic reps in Smash, but I feel SSB6 will be a better place to add a lot of them. If they're gonna add a second Sonic fighter through DLC, I think it should be Eggman so we have more villains in Smash. But of course I'm still hoping for Crash and Shantae.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Since Famicom Detective Club remake is coming to the West. I'm thinking of adding Ayumi as one of my guess fighter bets for Ultimate's Fighter Pass Vol. 2 slot since she was planned to be added as a fighter in Melee.

If they did announced two fighters (Challenger Pack 10 and 11) at E3 2021, I'm going to be one of my bets (Mike Jones from StarTropics, Impa, Ayumi, Asuka from Senran Kagura, 2nd SNK Franchise Rep (Simea from Crystalis, Kaede from The Last Blade, etc., or Shantae) as Challenger Pack 10 and the other one has to be 2nd Bandai Namco Franchise Character (maybe Llyod Irving depending on he doesn't get deconfirmed as a Mii Fighter again) as Challenger Pack 11. If Sakurai is really going to do that Bonus Fighter due the speculation from the Austrian Website that has a missing image number for Fighter Pass Vol. 2, it would have to be a 1st Party Rep.

Edited by King Marth 64

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo...what's your bet for CP10, assuming they're revealed at E3? My hopes are currently placed on Cash Banooca. I'll be pleasantly surprised if CP11 is revealed there as well (especially if it's Sora), but I don't necessarily expect it.

Edited by Jingilator

I think almost everyone expects Crash to be one of the two remaining DLC fighters at this point. If it's anyone else, most of us will be absolutely gobsmacked. And if the Bandicoot somehow slipped through the cracks, you can bet coins to Wumpa that he'll be first in line for Smash 6.

Kazuya's the second-to-last DLC fighter. Meh. Looks like I won't be getting Shantae again. One more shot for Crash! They may call it Smash Ultimate, but it's far from Ultimate in my opinion.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Tekken's Kazuya getting in as the second Namco representative works. It's quite arguably bigger than SNK's King of Fighters, and Smash is stuck in the limbo between a Fighting and a "Party" game. Might as well rep it, Tales can wait. There aren't that many fighting franchises that could get someone in Smash left: Guilty Gear or Blazblue for Arc System Works, maybe SoulCalibur, Dead or Alive? They're mostly marginal.

Sorry if you're someone who is disappointed isn't wasn't XYZ, but you only have yourself to blame. Smash has no shortage of potential additions, and so few slots, the likelihood of getting who you want is low, no matter how much you create your own prophecies that you want believe are true.

very excited for Kazuya, although i would've preferred they added Jin or Heihachi, but i'm happy with Kazuya nonetheless
never been a huge Tekken fan, but i've been waiting for a Tekken rep for a while (since Smash 4), and i think i'll most likely enjoy playing as him

Since we pretty much wanted a 2nd Bandai Namco character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I do think Kazuya is a good choice since I haven't played Tekken and Llyod Irving is pretty much going to be returning as a Mii Fighter Costume again in Round 10 when Kazuya's Presentation airs in June 28th. I'm still thinking I'm might going to place one of my bets as Challenger Pack 11 (and/or Bonus Fighter if it's turns out to be real).

Mike Jones from StarTropics, Shantae, Young Impa from The Legend of Zelda, Ayumi from Famicom Detective Club, or a 2nd SNK Character be Challenger Pack 11.