Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2: May our hearts be our guiding light

Perkilator

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Anyways, for my wishlist, I’m hoping for/expecting a mix of 1st and 3rd party characters in this pass, so my picks are:

1. Crash Bandicoot

2. Adeleine and Ribbon

3. Sora

4. Sirfetch’d

5. Ring Fit Adventurer

6. Arle Nadja

I'd like to see Ribbon as a standalone fighter. Given that she resembles Kirby in size and color palette, I think they could experiment with her gaining some kind of copy ability as well, perhaps using a magic wand. She could also use Kirby powers like Beam and Mirror.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Anyway, I would definitely like to see Ganondorf’s moveset no longer be derived from Captain Falcon and instead be something derived from things he’s known for doing in Zelda.

They should just give Ganondorf a trident in addition to his greatsword. And of course have him shoot a chargeable, reflectable energy ball as his standard special. His down special could be the Shockwave Punch from OoT. He can keep the Flame Choke, Fsmash, and Dair, though.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most wanted:

• Doomguy (Doom)
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Who I would also like to see:

• 2B (Nier Automata)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
  • Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
  • Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes

Who I think will happen, but don't necessarily care for:

• A Gen 8 Pokemon
Edited by Roland

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

My most wanted:

• Doomguy (Doom)

• 2B
  • Dante
  • Yuri Lowell
  • Chosen Undead
  • Travis Touchdown

Who I think will happen, but don't neccisarily care for:

• A Gen 8 Pokemon

Would personally prefer Artorias over Chosen Undead, but otherwise much approval. 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Chosen Undead

How would that one even work; given that they are an extremely custom protagonist? Artorias is probably a better candidate, and, even then, I'd probably want him to be a boss rather than a fighter. 

• A Gen 8 Pokémon

I hope it's Wooloo. 

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

They should just give Ganondorf a trident in addition to his greatsword. And of course have him shoot a chargeable, reflectable energy ball as his standard special. His down special could be the Shockwave Punch from OoT. He can keep the Flame Choke, Fsmash, and Dair, though.

I could see them go even further and incorporate more spells of his from the various Zelda games. A few that I can think of include the shadow-bat attack in A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds, throwing his trident such that it spins in an arc and comes back to him while leaving a trail of blue fire behind (from A Link to the Past and Four Swords Adventures), etc. 

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

How would that one even work; given that they are an extremely custom protagonist? 

Smash has handled avatar characters before just fine. I see no reason why they couldn’t do the for same Chosen Undead.

Edited by Roland

Smash has handled avatar characters before just fine. I see no reason why they couldn’t do the for same Chosen Undead.

They were able to do it by using the character's default form: Robin is tactician with swords and tomes, Corrin is Nohr Prince(ss) with swords and dragon form, etc. Chosen Undead has no such default form. What would you say is their default class? Knight? Warrior? Priest? Sorcerer? Deprived? How about their weapons and abilities? What would you say is the default?

17 hours ago, Roland said:

My most wanted:

• Doomguy (Doom)

• 2B
  • Dante
  • Yuri Lowell
  • Chosen Undead
  • Travis Touchdown

• A Gen 8 Pokemon

On 1/21/2020 at 8:10 AM, Etheus said:

My most wanted characters are:

Devil May Cry: Dante or Nero

NieR: 2B

Tales: Yuri & Repede

Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright with a Miles Edgeworth alt.

Assassin's Creed: Ezio

Monster Hunter

Spyro

Crash Bandicoot

Travis Touchdown

Doom Slayer

My 6 most wanted in bold.

Actually, it was deconfirmed that Doomguy most likely not going to appear in Fighter Pass Vol. 2 from the interview with the director from the Doom games.

22 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Link from the Wind Waker gives a look that says, “Really; never? Are you sure?”

Anyway, I would definitely like to see Ganondorf’s moveset no longer be derived from Captain Falcon and instead be something derived from things he’s known for doing in Zelda. 

Going back to the six DLC Fighters, I can’t think of six characters I think will be the next six fighters. But, I can think of a few characters of which I think it would be cool to see at least one of them in the fighter pass:

• Welkin Gunther/Claude Wallace (Valkyria Chronicles 1/4)
  • Adol Christin (Ys)
  • Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X), ideally revealed in a trailer where it seems like Rex will be the fighter, only for it to be Shulk wearing the Rex Mii Costume, and then Elma shows up.
  • Captain Toad (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
  • Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses) in the trailer, she asks Byleth, “Why did you steal my axe, Professor? I would’ve let you borrow it, if you had asked.

I don't think Sakurai is going to be adding Edelgard would work since she is going to appear in the Garreg Mach Monastery stage.

My bet for the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 is going to be:

1. A Namco character (my guess it be Llyod Irving from Tales of Series)
  2. Nintendo Character
  3. Retro Nintendo Character (I want Mike Jones from StarTropics to be added)
  4. Another Nintendo Character
  5. Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X
  6. Shantae

1 minute ago, King Marth 64 said:

Actually, it was deconfirmed that Doomguy most likely not going to appear in Fighter Pass Vol. 2 from the interview with the director from the Doom games.

I don't think Sakurai is going to be adding Edelgard would work since she is going to appear in the Garreg Mach Monastery stage.

2. Nintendo Character
  6. Shantae

I am aware, but this happened after our posts.

Oh well. I don't see another shooter rep that really compares, unfortunately. Master Chief is the mascot of a rival platform, and therefore unlikely (but not impossible), and Overwatch isn't quite the household name it was years ago. 

35 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Yeah; I figured that. I wasn't listing them based on ones I think were likely to happen, but ones I think it would be nice to see happen. I don't think the Valkyria Chronicles protagonists are going to get into the DLC pack either; I just think it would be cool if they did.

I also added Edelgard to the list in order to make the "Professor, why did you steal Aymr?" joke. 

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

They were able to do it by using the character's default form: Robin is tactician with swords and tomes, Corrin is Nohr Prince(ss) with swords and dragon form, etc. Chosen Undead has no such default form. What would you say is their default class? Knight? Warrior? Priest? Sorcerer? Deprived? How about their weapons and abilities? What would you say is the default?

It’d probably be the Knight since that’s the class that they’re depicted in the most. As far as weapons go, I’d imagine they’d utilize multiple weapons like great swords, axes, and spear and various magic abilities like pyrokenetic spells and thunder spells. 

5 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

So wait a minute. All of those talks with Nintendo and porting every single Doom title to the Switch, and they haven’t once brought up the possibility of bringing Doomguy to Smash Ultimate? 🤨

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

I don't see another shooter rep that really compares, unfortunately. Master Chief is the mascot of a rival platform, and therefore unlikely (but not impossible), and Overwatch isn't quite the household name it was years ago. 

If we're talking reps from other first parties, Ratchet & Clank would be a top pick from Sony. Though I think the reason Banjo & Kazooie got a special pass is because of their history with Nintendo. But hey, if Nintendo and Sony are fine with R&C in Smash, I sure as heck am.

Imagine if Crash, Spyro, and Lara Croft all got in. Then Smash would have all four of the fighters PSASBR should have had.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Just now, Lord_Brand said:

If we're talking reps from other first parties, Ratchet & Clank would be a top pick from Sony. Though I think the reason Banjo & Kazooie got a special pass is because of their history with Nintendo. But hey, if Nintendo and Sony are fine with R&C in Smash, I sure as heck am.

I think a Sony rep is far more unlikely than a Microsoft one. Microsoft has been pretty open to partnering with other platforms, and they seem to be open to negotiations with Nintendo.

Sony entered the market out of spite for a broken partnership with Nintendo, and that's basically set the tone for the two. Sony is very protective of its first party IP, and they aren't likely to play ball.

7 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

2. Nintendo Character
  6. Shantae

Alfonse will appear in Garrek Mach instead of Edelgard.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Alfonse will appear in Garrek Mach instead of Edelgard.

Oh, yeah. He could do that. 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness, Gerrag Mac could be updated so someone like Hubert and Ferdinand would appear instead. That, or a Slitherer using Edelgard's appearance.

33 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Like Toon Link and the Spirit Train?

Yes; that was the joke. That's the reason Jotari said Alphonse would replace Edelgard. 

33 minutes ago, Roland said:

I seriously truly doubt that we're getting Edelgard in Vol 2. 

I doubt it too. As I said before, I don't think it's at all likely to happen, but it would be nice. 

I suppose I'll add my dream six units, none of which I have much serious hope of seeing.

*Saki Amimiya from Sin and Punishment. Highly unlikely at this point. It's a dead series 10 years since we got a game and then company that makes it no longer even exists r.i.p treasure

*Balder, from Bayonetta. Bayonetta 3 is in development so another Bayonetta character seems likely with Nintendo's pseudo adoption of the series. However given the nature of the character chances are Balder won't be in it, we could get a Bayonetta 3 character (or Jeanne, but she's in a case where it'd be weird if she weren't an echo).

*Isaac from Golden Sun. Would have varied abilities and it's a nice series that I'd like a damn conclusion to.

*Pig Beast Ganon. It's Ganondorf's original classic look and we already have two Zeldas and three Links. Plus in general he'd be another heavy weight on the roster and finally a dedicated spear (well, trident, polearm is probably more accurate) wielder. I don't consider Ganon already existing in the game as a boss and final smash something that makes this idea impossible. Still don't see it likely though.

*Kamek from Yoshi/Mario.  It's always sort of bothered me that Yoshi is a series unto itself in Smash. But it is and after five games I feel it needs a second rep. And Kamek, while never really that prominent in the main Mario games, is actually a rather big character in spin offs and such. Plus, Magikoopa in general have a lot of five abilities to make use of.

*Balloon Fighter from Balloon Fight. Classic character that still hasn't got into the game and one that would bring something interesting to the roster by being almost purely an aerial fighter. Only character that's similar to that right now is Jigglypuff.

Edited by Jotari

38 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I suppose I'll add my dream six units, none of which I have much serious hope of seeing.

*Saki Amimiya from Sin and Punishment. Highly unlikely at this point. It's a dead series 10 years since we got a game and then company that makes it no longer even exists r.i.p treasure

*Balder, from Bayonetta. Bayonetta 3 is in development so another Bayonetta character seems likely with Nintendo's pseudo adoption of the series. However given the nature of the character chances are Balder won't be in it, we could get a Bayonetta 3 character (or Jeanne, but she's in a case where it'd be weird if she weren't an echo).

*Isaac from Golden Sun. Would have varied abilities and it's a nice series that I'd like a damn conclusion to.

*Pig Beast Ganon. It's Ganondorf's original classic look and we already have two Zeldas and three Links. Plus in general he'd be another heavy weight on the roster and finally a dedicated spear (well, trident, polearm is probably more accurate) wielder. I don't consider Ganon already existing in the game as a boss and final smash something that makes this idea impossible. Still don't see it likely though.

*Kamek from Yoshi/Mario.  It's always sort of bothered me that Yoshi is a series unto itself in Smash. But it is and after five games I feel it needs a second rep. And Kamek, while never really that prominent in the main Mario games, is actually a rather big character in spin offs and such. Plus, Magikoopa in general have a lot of five abilities to make use of.

*Balloon Fighter from Balloon Fight. Classic character that still hasn't got into the game and one that would bring something interesting to the roster by being almost purely an aerial fighter. Only character that's similar to that right now is Jigglypuff.

Didn't Villager steal BF's main gimmick? I'd be down for Isaac, Ganon, and Kamek, though. Kamek is basically the main villain of the Yoshi series, they should add him.

And while we're discussing spinoff villains, let's add Captain Syrup and King Boo, too. Syrup could easily have a piratey moveset with a cutlass, pistol, bombs, cannon, etc. Her Final Smash would involve summoning the Genie from WL:SML3. Her stage would be Kitchen Island, or maybe the S.S. Teacup. King Boo could have ghostly abilities like countering attacks with a Surprise Scare, draining opponents' life with Soul Sucker, and the obvious Final Smash of trapping opponents in a painting. King Boo could get Evershade Valley or The Last Resort Hotel. With Luigi already being in Smash, King Boo's addition could mark the start of the Luigi series having proper presence with its own series symbol and victory theme.

Then we'd have five different hero-villain rivalries all connected to Mario:

• Mario - Bowser
  • Donkey Kong - King K. Rool
  • Wario - Captain Syrup
  • Yoshi - Kamek
  • Luigi - King Boo

And shoot, what if we added Foreman Spike, Wart, and Tatanga, to bring back some more obscure characters? Foreman Spike has the obvious construction theme to build off of, which can include a hammer, jackhammer, drill, and even a wrecking ball-and-chain. His stage is already in Smash, even! Wart can spit bubbles and perhaps summon or reference other 8 Bits of Subcon, like Fry Guy and Mouser. Tatanga, being a space alien, has potential for some sci-fi gadgets like a ray gun, teleporter, tractor beam, and of course beam sword, with Pagosu being his Final Smash. His stage could be Space Zone.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Didn't Villager steal BF's main gimmick? I'd be down for Isaac, Ganon, and Kamek, though. Kamek is basically the main villain of the Yoshi series, they should add him.

And while we're discussing spinoff villains, let's add Captain Syrup and King Boo, too. Syrup could easily have a piratey moveset with a cutlass, pistol, bombs, cannon, etc. Her Final Smash would involve summoning the Genie from WL:SML3. Her stage would be Kitchen Island, or maybe the S.S. Teacup. King Boo could have ghostly abilities like countering attacks with a Surprise Scare, draining opponents' life with Soul Sucker, and the obvious Final Smash of trapping opponents in a painting. King Boo could get Evershade Valley or The Last Resort Hotel. With Luigi already being in Smash, King Boo's addition could mark the start of the Luigi series having proper presence with its own series symbol and victory theme.

Then we'd have five different hero-villain rivalries all connected to Mario:

• Mario - Bowser
  • Donkey Kong - King K. Rool
  • Wario - Captain Syrup
  • Yoshi - Kamek
  • Luigi - King Boo

And shoot, what if we added Foreman Spike, Wart, and Tatanga, to bring back some more obscure characters? Foreman Spike has the obvious construction theme to build off of, which can include a hammer, jackhammer, drill, and even a wrecking ball-and-chain. His stage is already in Smash, even! Wart can spit bubbles and perhaps summon or reference other 8 Bits of Subcon, like Fry Guy and Mouser. Tatanga, being a space alien, has potential for some sci-fi gadgets like a ray gun, teleporter, tractor beam, and of course beam sword, with Pagosu being his Final Smash. His stage could be Space Zone.

Villager took one aspect of Balloon Fighter, but I still think that one aspect has big enough potential that you could make an entire moveset out of it. Kind of like saying Charizard can still exist even though Bowser breaths fire.

I took me a long time to come up with a predictions list since the pool of likely candidates becomes ever murkier with each passing day, but I eventually came up with a list I feel confident betting on.

• New Nintendo Rep- There has to been a least one first party character in the fighters pass, but all the obvious choices are already spirits so call this a wild card slot.
  • Monster Hunter(Monster Hunter)- Even though Rathalos is already a boss/assist trophy, the lack of any other Monster Hunter content like music and spirits feels pretty suspicious.
  • Kazuya Mishima(Tekken)- Namco hasn't had a single character inclusion since Pac-Man and Tekken is probably the biggest fighting game in the world behind Street Fighter.
  • Arle(Puyo Puyo)- Mascot of a classic series that's super popular in Japan, clearly one of the safest picks for Smash Bros out there.
  • 2B(Neir)- Neir: Automata is easily one of the biggest RPG success stories of the past decade with lots of appeal in both Japan and abroad.
  • Travis Touchdown(No More Heroes)- Every game in the No More Heroes franchise has had exclusivity with Nintendo and NMH3 is just on the horizon, easy marketing opportunity.