Perkilator

Realistically, I imagine the six fighters will be something like this:

1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Dante
  3. Travis Touchdown
  4. Ryu Hayabusa
  5. Sol Badguy
  6. Character from Future Game

Personally I would include Spyro in this list right under Crash, but I don't know if a particular third party will get to have more than one fighter per pass.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all had to ruin what was a good day for me.  Time to take it out, in the form of warnings.

Future posters, take note - excessive salt leads to warns.  Please consider how to convey your disappointment without going over the line.

Did.... did someone really just say that there is nothing that Dante or 2B can do that isn't already done by other characters?

I.... I can't even... that's so absurd.

Dante has a unique arsenal the size of Fort Knox that includes everything from Nunchucks to a magic guitar, to a weaponized briefcase, a motorbike that splits into axes, and a fucking fabulously magical Michael Jackson hat. 

2B can swap between so many different weapon types on the fly, has light and heavy attacks with all of them, has a floating companion that shoots all manner of lazers and ballistics, and is every bit as acrobatic as Bayonetta or ZSS.

Edited by Etheus

Just now, lightcosmo said:

I'm happy with whatever we get at this point.

But I would like to see:

Rex/Pyra. Honestly at this point, I would rather see Lora/Jin, though. But I would be fine either way.

Honestly, Rex/Pyra are the least interesting pair in XC2 (as is common with JRPGs, really). I would rather see any of them (especially Lora/Jin, Morag/Brigid, or Zeke/Pandoria).

But let's face it, if anyone gets in, it's gonna be Rex/Pyra, and I'm okay with that.

24 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Did.... did someone really just say that there is nothing that Dante or 2B can do that isn't already done by other characters?

I.... I can't even... that's so absurd.

Dante has a unique arsenal the size of Fort Knox that includes everything from Nunchucks to a magic guitar, to a weaponized briefcase, a motorbike that splits into axes, and a fucking fabulously magical Michael Jackson hat. 

2B can swap between so many different weapon types on the fly, has light and heavy attacks with all of them, has a floating companion that shoots all manner of lazers and ballistics, and is every bit as acrobatic as Bayonetta or ZSS.

Honestly I find the whole "Can't do anything other characters can't do already" argument really trite. Even if two characters have the exact same basic concept, they can still be two entirely different fighters. Take Marth for example. He is a swordsman like Link. And in fact lacks the usage of bows, bombs boomerangs and a whole host of other things. They didn't even put his shield into Smash in any form. Yet he fights completely differently to Link. Hell that doesn't even begin to compare to most fighting games where 90% of the roster are just punching people in different ways. Just because a character can do something other characters can do already doesn't mean they'll do the same thing the same way. Shulk being in the game and having a time based ability doesn't mean the idea of using time powers in Smash has now been monopolized. There's dozens if not hundreds of different ways you could implement something like that into Smash that would be distinct enough to justify a different moveset. 

My Personal Wants:

1. Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney

2. Porky from Earthbound 

3. Cinderace from Pokémon Sword and Shield 

4. Sora from Kingdom Hearts 

5. VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION but I don't care: Yuri/any of the Ashen Wolves from Fire Emblem Three Houses- I'd love Constance!!

6. Character from Animal Crossing New Horizons- any suggestions as to who? 

On 1/26/2020 at 1:32 PM, Lord_Brand said:

I guess you could say Arle has "Puyo Popularity"? 😉 Incidentally, she would be the fourth SEGA rep after Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker. Which would be kinda fitting for Nintendo's former rival, but I think other companies need higher priority now. We still don't have fighters from Ubisoft or Koei Tecmo, and they have some pretty obvious candidates like the Prince of Persia (preferably the Sands of Time version, though they could include other designs as costume swaps) and Ryu Hayabusa.

Joker is technically fully Atlus character not a Sega character since Atlus name was added when company credits while Platinum Games was not added in the company credits when Bayonetta was added, Bayonetta is still a second Sega franchise rep. I don't think we might get a third Sega franchise rep in the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since I still think we definitely need a second Namco, Atlus, SNK, and Microsoft franchise rep. (Mostly a Namco rep since Namco needed a second franchise rep in Ultimate)

Edited by King Marth 64

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Joker is technically fully Atlus character not a Sega character since Atlus name was added when company credits while Platinum Games was not added in the company credits when Bayonetta was added, Bayonetta is still a second Sega franchise rep. I don't think we might get a third Sega franchise rep in the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since I still think we definitely need a second Namco, Atlus, SNK, and Microsoft franchise rep. (Mostly a Namco rep since Namco needed a second franchise rep in Ultimate)

Atlus, which now fully belongs to SEGA, making Joker effectively a SEGA rep as much as Bomberman would effectively be a Konami rep.

Edited by Lord_Brand

7 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Atlus, which now fully belongs to SEGA, making Joker effectively a SEGA rep as much as Bomberman would effectively be a Konami rep.

Except, Persona 5 nor the other Shin Megami Tensi games weren't published by Sega themselves, they were still published by Atlus. Also, Bomberman is an Assist Trophy not a Fighter in Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

Except, Persona 5 nor the other Shin Megami Tensi games weren't published by Sega themselves, they were still published by Atlus. Also, Bomberman is an Assist Trophy not a Fighter in Ultimate.

But SEGA owns Atlus now, so Joker is effectively a SEGA rep. Joker belongs to Atlus, Atlus belongs to SEGA, therefore Joker belongs to SEGA through Atlus. That's what happens when your owning company becomes the subsidiary of another. And I was using a theoretical scenario where Bomberman is a Fighter as opposed to an Assist Trophy, hence the "would".

Edited by Lord_Brand

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

But SEGA owns Atlus now, so Joker is effectively a SEGA rep. Joker belongs to Atlus, Atlus belongs to SEGA, therefore Joker belongs to SEGA through Atlus. That's what happens when your owning company becomes the subsidiary of another. And I was using a theoretical scenario where Bomberman is a Fighter as opposed to an Assist Trophy, hence the "would".

This is not always true. A company being a subsidiary of another does not necessarily mean the Mother company owns everything the subsidiary makes. If a subsidiary company is still its own, separate entity (like it is with Atlus) then they MIGHT retain partial, or even full ownership of their IPs, depending on how the Copyrights are handled with the mother company (SEGA, in this case).

The situation with Bomberman is different. He used to be owned by its original creator, Hudson, which was ABSORBED by Konami, effectively ceasing to exist and therefore passing all of their IPs to Konami.

On topic, here's my dream character choices, although there are a lot more characters I fully support:

Well okay, sure, if SEGA sold Atlus or Atlus somehow split off from SEGA to become an independent entity again, then Joker would probably go with them. But right now, Atlus belongs to SEGA, so as far as I'm concerned, Joker is another SEGA rep. He's a rep for a SEGA subsidiary, to be certain.

I've got high hopes for Crash being one of the 6 DLCs. Spyro isn't as likely as Crash, and as much as I want Shantae and Krystal to be added, I know the chances are slim to none (the DLC comes from games not yet represented in Smash, and Star Fox and Shantae both have some kind of representation in SSBU already). I would rather the DLC not consist mostly of semi-realistic human males this time (hence why I'm not jumping on the Dante and Travis bandwagons), I'd like to see more girls and more cartoony characters since Smash is a game for good boys and girls of all ages. I wouldn't complain if they added Ryu Hayabusa though.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 3 weeks later...

Predictions:

1. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
2. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
3. Dante (Devil May Cry) 
4. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
5. Nintendo Rep (Recent/Upcoming Releases)- BOTW 2 Character (Untitled Sequel to LoZ BOTW) or Ring Fit Adventurer (Ring Fit Adventure)
6. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Bk1234

Seems like a reasonable list, even if it is mostly more human males. My only concern about Ryu Hayabusa is that Koei Tecmo and Capcom have a history of lawsuits against one another; when Team Ninja was working on Hyrule Warriors, they pointedly avoided anything and everything to do with the Capcom-developed Zelda titles. Since Capcom has a solid footing in Smash now, I'm not sure KT will be willing to lend one of their stars to the game. The fact that Capcom recently won 1.3 million in the lastest lawsuit with KT would certainly put a sour taste in KT's mouth. So, I'm not feeling quite as certain about Ryu Hayabusa as I once did.

I think we can agree that Crash is the next most likely fighter to make it in. We've all seen the reasons why, we just need Nintendo and Activision to confirm it for us now. I'm also hoping for Spyro, but Crash definitely has priority here. I'd really love it if Coco, Crunch, and maybe even Tawna could join the fun as part of a tag team with Crash, but that might be too much work for a single DLC slot, not to mention some people might consider it cheating.

Some viable alternatives I would suggest include Lara Croft (she's been toned down to where she meets GBAGOAA standards), Miriam from Bloodstained (how fitting it would be for her to meet and battle her spiritual predecessor, Simon Belmont), and Yooka & Laylee (ditto for Banjo & Kazooie).

Edited by Lord_Brand

@Lord_Brand Wow! I was unaware of these lawsuits between Capcom and Koei Tecmo. Thank you for bringing them to my attention. I really felt the list was incomplete without a Square Enix rep and a female. I had trouble finding anyone who was likely and fit the bill. Who owns Lara Croft?

My main concern about Lara: does she have enough distinct moveset potential? Like Specials that feel Tomb Raidery? I know she can use a gun and pull off some acrobatic stunts. Can anyone more familiar with the series provide some insight as to unique moves or mechanics that will help separate Lara from the crowd?

6 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Predictions:

2. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
3. Dante (Devil May Cry) 
4. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
5. Nintendo Rep (Recent/Upcoming Releases)- BOTW 2 Character (Untitled Sequel to LoZ BOTW) or Ring Fit Adventurer (Ring Fit Adventure)
6. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

What do you guys think? 

I would be over the moon if Crash really was one of the next fighters. Seriously, he's my favorite gaming character EVER.

I don’t do predictions and I certainly don’t care who the six fighters will be, I welcome them all.

Plus I already have Vol. 2 preordered.

Edited by Faustino

The characters I think are likely to be added in this list can be added in any order since I'm not going to predict the order too.

1. Either of these two characters are likely I think: Crash/Sora

From what the creators said they don't want Sora in, and he's disconfirmed or something.

Edit: From what a user said it doesn't seem Square disconfirmed Sora.

2. Between these two characters the bolded is the most likely I think: Cinderace/Rillaboom/Sirfetch'd

Sirfetch'd doesn't have a gigantamax form for the Final Smash (if that works or matters? I haven't played Sword or Shield), plus Scorbunny is Go's first pokemon, and this can be considered his fully evolved Scorbunny.

3. Between these two characters  the bolded is the most likely I think: Geno/Rhythm Heaven

Rhythm Heaven might be too much work for the team that's tired now.

4. Perhaps all these characters bolded are the most likely I think: Ring Fit Adventure Character/Tracer/Dante/Master Chief/Lara Croft

Dante might be too much work for the team that's tired now.

EDIT M5/D13: It's ARMS.

5. Between these two franchises only one character can, be selected the bolded is who I think are the most likely:  Adol Christin/Estelle Bright/Rean Schwarzer or Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell/Cress Albane

The Tales characters might be less likely to be added in because of Overlimits, Arte links etc.

6. Between these two franchises only one character can, be selected the bolded is which I think are the most likely: Taki/Ryu Hayabusa/Strider Hiryu or Fei-Fong-Wong/Heihachi/Kazuya Mishima/Kos-Mos

Ryu Hayabusa might be the easiest to make and yet distinct among the playable characters.

Edited by Fates-Blade

So after doing my initial predictions I thought to myself: Smash Bros is truly a celebration of gaming as a whole (classics, new/upcoming releases, different genres, etc.) These predictions reflect that.

2. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)/Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default)- I don't feel like Agnes should be brushed over. Bravely Default 2 is coming exclusively to the Switch in 2020, it is a possibility. What do you guys think?

3. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

4. Upcoming/Recent Nintendo rep.- Any suggestions? I think it could be Ring Fit Adventurer or a BOTW 2 rep. If spirits don't deconfirm I could see Rex too. 

5. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)

6. Master Chief (Halo) 

So, overall, what do you guys think? Is this the right mindset to be in when predicting DLC? Do you think these predictions are solid?