Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2: May our hearts be our guiding light

Perkilator

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we have the next two Monster Hunter games coming to the switch and Rathalos is already in ultimate as an assist trophy and a boss, I guess having the hunter as one of the remaining DLC fighters would make sense. 

I mean, the wirebug that's part of Monster Hunter Rise seems almost like it was made for giving the hunter an up special (and a grab, now that I think about it). 

The question would then be how to incorporate the different weapon types available to the hunter. 15 weapon types, each with a large amount of moveset potential, is a lot. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Now that we have the next two Monster Hunter games coming to the switch and Rathalos is already in ultimate as an assist trophy and a boss, I guess having the hunter as one of the remaining DLC fighters would make sense. 

I mean, the wirebug that's part of Monster Hunter Rise seems almost like it was made for giving the hunter an up special (and a grab, now that I think about it). 

The question would then be how to incorporate the different weapon types available to the hunter. 15 weapon types, each with a large amount of moveset potential, is a lot. 

There are rumors going around that Byleth originally was Monster Hunter.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Eggman is high up on the list of ideal villains to join the roster. Considering he's been around as long as Sonic himself, he really should be next in line. He's got a lot of good music options too.

Spoiler
  • E.G.G.M.A.N.
  • Bosses (Sonic 1)
  • Scrap Brain Zone
  • Final Zone
  • Bosses (Sonic 2)
  • Death Egg Robot (Sonic 2)
  • Major Bosses (Sonic 3)
  • Flying Battery Zone Act 1 & 2
  • Final Battle (Sonic 3)
  • Boss (Sonic CD JPN/PAL)
  • Final Boss (Sonic CD JPN/PAL)
  • Theme of Eggman
  • Egg Hornet
  • Egg Carrier
  • Militant Missionary
  • Mechanical Resonance
  • Crank the Heat Up!!
  • Iron Gate
  • Weapons Bed
  • Sand Ocean
  • Egg Golem
  • Final Battle (Sonic Advance)
  • Super Eggrobo Z
  • Metal Scratchin'
  • Wrapped in Black
  • Big Swell

Edited by Lord_Brand

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Yeah, Eggman is high up on the list of ideal villains to join the roster. Considering he's been around as long as Sonic himself, he really should be next in line. He's got a lot of good music options too.

Hide contents
  • E.G.G.M.A.N.
  • Bosses (Sonic 1)
  • Scrap Brain Zone
  • Final Zone
  • Bosses (Sonic 2)
  • Death Egg Robot (Sonic 2)
  • Major Bosses (Sonic 3)
  • Flying Battery Zone Act 1 & 2
  • Final Battle (Sonic 3)
  • Boss (Sonic CD JPN/PAL)
  • Final Boss (Sonic CD JPN/PAL)
  • Theme of Eggman
  • Egg Hornet
  • Egg Carrier
  • Militant Missionary
  • Mechanical Resonance
  • Crank the Heat Up!!
  • Iron Gate
  • Weapons Bed
  • Sand Ocean
  • Egg Golem
  • Final Battle (Sonic Advance)
  • Super Eggrobo Z
  • Metal Scratchin'
  • Wrapped in Black
  • Big Swell

Hell, why limit it to just Eggman related themes? There’s so many good Sonic tracks that should be in Smash in the first place, but aren’t.

I somehow managed to pick and list only 50.

On that note, I made a Spirit Board for Eggman as well:

Spoiler
  1. Dr. Eggman (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Dr. Eggman (Classic) (Fighter Spirit)
  3. Motobug (Sonic, Novice; Green Hill Zone)
  4. Egg Pawn (Eggman x20, Novice; Metal Scratchin’)
  5. Knuckles* (Mii Brawler, Ace; Angel Island Zone)
  6. Metal Sonic* (Sonic, Advanced; Sonic Heroes) -> Metal Overlord (Legend)
  7. Mighty & Ray (Sonic and Steve, Advanced; Sonic Mania Medley)
  8. Dr. Eggman Nega (Eggman x2, Ace; Wrapped in Black)
  9. Black Doom (Robin, Advanced; I Am (All of Me))
  10. Mephiles the Dark (Sonic, Ace; Dreams of an Absolution)
  11. Erazor Djinn (Link, Advanced; Seven Rings in Hand)
  12. Wisps (Sonic and Kirby x9, Advanced; Planet Wisp)
  13. Orbot and Cubot (Kirby and Steve, Novice; Reach for the Stars)
  14. Zavok (Incineroar, Novice; The Deadly Six Medley) -> The Deadly Six (Advanced)
  15. Sticks the Badger (Sonic, Novice; Sonic Boom hehe get it cause she’s from)
  16. Hard-Boiled Heavies (Eggman x5, Ace; Hi-Spec Robo Go! (Hard Boiled Heavy Boss))
  17. Rookie (Wolf, Zelda and Falco, Advanced; Moonlight Battlefield (Aqua Road))
  18. Death Egg Robot (Eggman, Legend; Death Egg Robot / Final Zone)

I figure Eggman would be accompanied by Eggman-related songs. Other songs could be saved for Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Metal Sonic, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Blaze, etc. I got a feeling SSB6 is gonna bring a lot more of Sonic's friends to the roster, since many of them have ample material to work with thanks to Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle.

Question I got is: What kinds of Mii Costumes might we see alongside Eggman? Perhaps a Phantasy Star outfit for Swordfighter, or a Billy Hatcher outfit for Brawler, to rep some other SEGA games? Ooh, an Eggrobo outfit for Gunner would be ace! Fang the Sniper would be cool, too. And of course, they could include costumes for Shadow and Rouge as a nod to the Dark Story in SA2, as long as they don't look awful like the Tails and Knuckles costumes (seriously, headmasks would have been far, far more preferable).

Once Crash joins, I think Cortex will be high on the list as well. As a matter of fact, if Crash were to join during FP2, then Cortex could happen as early as FP3. Though I'd want the second Activision slot to go to Spyro if anyone.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I’m surprised Alm & Celica were the only Spirits from Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia. That’s another reason I wouldve loved to see Alm or Celica playable in base instead of Chrom; this would mean more Spirits from the Valentia games.

Edited by Jingilator

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Pyra and Mythra then. I like the girls and I'm happy that they are in Smash. However I am not at all amused that Rex was left out. He inherently belongs with this duo and singling him out for exclusion seems like a deliberate snub. This was supposed to be Rex chance for rehabilitation after his initially lukewarm reception and now that chance is being denied him. Its true that Rex has always been somewhat controversial but the idea that he might have been excluded to appease the people who never gave him the time of day irritates me. 

Pyra and Mythra are a good decision but there's a very big part missing here. 

5 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Rex is the worst part of XC2. Glad he's been relegated to Final Smash status.

Actually Jin and Akos are the worst parts of Xenoblade 2

But yes. That being a kinda common sentiment is exactly why I wanted Rex in Smash. He's a good kid who deserves a second chance. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Right. Pyra and Mythra then. I like the girls and I'm happy that they are in Smash. However I am not at all amused that Rex was left out. He inherently belongs with this duo and singling him out for exclusion seems like a deliberate snub. This was supposed to be Rex chance for rehabilitation after his initially lukewarm reception and now that chance is being denied him. Its true that Rex has always been somewhat controversial but the idea that he might have been excluded to appease the people who never gave him the time of day irritates me. 

Pyra and Mythra are a good decision but there's a very big part missing here. 

I doubt Rex was left out because Sakurai thought he wasn't popular enough or something like that. I would guess that Sakurai was having trouble including both Rex and Pyra/Mythra at once, and the latter two got priority because most of Rex's uniqueness comes from them. Or someone at Nintendo told him to include the Aegises and not Rex. Maybe Takahashi suggested it? Sakurai will probably explain why Rex wasn't playable in PyMy's presentation next month, as is what happened with Spring Man.

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Now hold on a moment! Did they just recast Gramps? Looking the trailer again he doesn't sound at all like the Gramps I know. 

I don't think he has enough dialogue to tell for sure, but big Gramps always had a more gravelly voice than small Gramps if that means anything.

7 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I doubt Rex was left out because Sakurai thought he wasn't popular enough or something like that. I would guess that Sakurai was having trouble including both Rex and Pyra/Mythra at once, and the latter two got priority because most of Rex's uniqueness comes from them. Or someone at Nintendo told him to include the Aegises and not Rex. Maybe Takahashi suggested it? Sakurai will probably explain why Rex wasn't playable in PyMy's presentation next month, as is what happened with Spring Man.

One argument I would be more receptive to is if daddy Sakurai argued that as a main character in both the original game and Torna the Aegis best represents Xenoblade 2 as a whole. That's an argument I can actually respect a lot. You could argue the story in Alrest is the story of the Aegis rather than its wielder. As a fan of Torna I'd also be happy to hear it would be considered as a factor. But if its some gibberish about Rex already ''being in the game'' as a Mii costume or because they where more popular than him I'd be a little more annoyed. 

52 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Sakurai will probably explain why Rex wasn't playable in PyMy's presentation next month, as is what happened with Spring Man.

Idk much about XC2 but if it's like ARMS then it'll just boil down to "I like them better than Rex plus they're the developers waifus" instead of having anything to do with difficulty implementing the playstyle or whatever, because that's what Min Min's was to justify her inclusion over Spring Man

I would've preferred Elma, but hey, this is infinitely better than Sephiroth for another JRPG pick. Something thats actually Nintendo, and from a different game in series that yet has far fewer titles and hence a far smaller proud history to represent than the one which Square Hair & One Bland Angel got chosen from.

I don't care about Smash really anymore. And let's face it, war is loud, violent, and inevitable in the fanbase until the Smash roster becomes a singularity, which is why I except in rare moments stay out of it and y'all should too.

Also, Rex isn't that bad at all. 😜

So, Zelda/Sheik-style transformation is back. This makes X & Zero and the Warriors of Light officially possible as DLC. We could also see stuff like the Magus Sisters from Kirby Star Allies, Team Rose from the Sonic series, Victor and Gloria as Galarian Pokemon Trainers, and Zacian & Zamazenta.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Duplicating my post from the main Smash Bros thread.

I don't think they're really achieving much having it be Pyrha and Mythra alone over Rex. Rex can do everything they can do after all. And excluding him means no grappling hook. Though I guess their thought process is that they wanted to have the whole Zelda Sheik transformation gimmick and it would visually work better if it's literally Pyra and Mythra transforming rather than Rex just changing the colour of his weapon. Having them hang around in the background might not have worked as well as Pokemon Trainer either as they'd need to be closer to Rex to maintain the idea that they're doing something beyond cheer leading (and obviously having them on the stage like Ice Climbers would be really weird...though not entirely unworkable I guess).

Also Xenoblade Canon is obviously not important to them *cough* *cough* ending *cough* *cough*.

Lastly Mythra in particular looks far less like a prostitute giving her leggings. Though I guess that's been a thing since we first got her Spirit.

Further quick fire speculation

-Rex didn't get in just because Sakurai just wanted to surprise people and rum up this kind of drama.

-Rex didn't get in because they dediced to take a leaf out of the Fire Emblem Heroes guide to success book, namely add cute girls over boys every chance you can get.

-Rex didn't get in because Sakurai enjoys your misery and maintains his youth from the salt of your tears.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

From the trailer it looked like an alt or echo fighter situation, but on the website Pyra and Mythra are listed as #79 and #80 respectively, so I guess it's more of a semi-clone situation.

It would be nice if they gave us Echo fighters on top of actual fighters, even if it drove up the cost a bit. I would actually have been more excited with a Shulk Echo Malos than I would be with any of the Xenoblade 2 protagonists. Zach could have made for a decent Cloud Echo too.

Edited by Jotari

It's not a bad pick, but it's not a great one. The value add of another Xenoblade rep is way smaller than another JRPG of similar scope (like Tales, Trails, or Ys) that could add massive soundtracks, a new franchise, and exciting new stages. 

Just like Byleth could have been satisfactorily replaced by a free update of FE3H songs alongside anyone else, the same is rather true here. We already basically had Xenoblade's greatest hits, and Shulk was plenty of representation.

I guess you could say the same for Sephiroth too. We could have just done with more FF music. Perhaps by selling song packs. But Sephiroth does have the distinct advantage of being one of the most iconic game villains of all time and causing the most iconic gaming death scene of all time. He's a big piece of gaming history, whether or not one likes the addition.