Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

I don't think people like Sylvain only for his looks. Or dislike Lorenz only for his. Lorenz does kind of have a dumb design, but he's so damn full of himself and those kinds of people always turn me off. He's really sweet to Marianne though, I admit.

I like Ignatz, btw. He's just got that adorkableness to him that I dig in characters like male Morgan, and I really think it's cute that he can marry Raphael's sister. I also like Raphael. He's not attractive either, but I think he's fun and also just so nice.

Sylvain being a hot guy is really a bonus for me in his case. 😛

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Etheus said:

I'd actually say that Virion is. His supports with Olivia are sweet and supportive. But I kinda like Lorenz as a diet Virion (who is in turn a diet Bastian).

Well, I meant in three houses, I forgot to include that.

I've been working so many long hours this week I almost didn't log in to vote, nor did I expect CYL4 this early (was it around this time in previous years?) but thank Naga I've managed to remember to vote every day somehow. 

To no one's surprise, I'm going all in for Dimitri!!! He is certified best boi and leader of the best House; he's also the very first favorite character of mine to actually be seemingly embraced by the majority of FE fans so I'm very happy to be part of the obvious front runner mob for once, especially for a very deserving character~ 

sorry not sorry

And I'm delighted to see with the midterm results that he is indeed in the lead! Normally in previous years I would split my vote at this point to help boost other characters that I like (like Alm to Micaiah last year), but I refuse to be complacent with Dimitri knowing that some others will be so I will pick up their slack if I can. I learned my lesson from Marth last year that one can never be too careful, and its been a long while since I have deeply loved and admired a character this much so Dimitri deserves all my votes for the 1st place win this time around. 

Sending support over to the other deciding battles, I would be happy to see any of them in the other slots (though I would be especially happy for Eirika if she could eke out a win, I still love FE8 and prefer her to Ephraim as a character despite how unpopular that opinion is).

Also, I hope that Seliph and Sigurd's higher than normal placing means more support for the fabled FE4 remake; I'm hoping that is the main reason we haven't seen any Sigurd/Seliph alts yet, they're just holding out to coincide for an announcement!

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I like Ignatz, btw. He's just got that adorkableness to him that I dig in characters like male Morgan, and I really think it's cute that he can marry Raphael's sister.

A woman of culture I see. Though Annette is probably more Morgan's brand of adorkable since they are both clumsy, scatterbrained geniuses without a bad bone in their body. Ignatz big thing is that he's so anxious which Morgan never really is. 

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

A woman of culture I see. Though Annette is probably more Morgan's brand of adorkable since they are both clumsy, scatterbrained geniuses without a bad bone in their body. Ignatz big thing is that he's so anxious which Morgan never really is. 

Awesome to hear. XD

I said earlier in the thread that I think Annette is cute too, actually. Her food songs are funny. lol

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Definitely throw me into the anti-Lysithea crowd. She is such an insufferable brat, and that Ignatz support is indefensible. It's uncalled for bullying of a kind soul who does not deserve it, and it doesn't get better even in the B support.

I'd argue the whole support chain between Lysithea and Ignatz is probably the worst support in the whole game. 

If Ignatz were a popular character, I think we'd hear more people voicing out concerns about that support. Unfortunately, Ignatz is arguably the least popular student in the game so nobody really cares about him. 😞 I won't be surprised if Ignatz places the lowest out of all the playable 3H characters. 

4 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

If Ignatz were a popular character, I think we'd hear more people voicing out concerns about that support. Unfortunately, Ignatz is arguably the least popular student in the game so nobody really cares about him. 😞 I won't be surprised if Ignatz places the lowest out of all the playable 3H characters. 

Ignatz unpopularity really is one of the big mysteries of our time. He's consistently sweet and gentle to just about everyone, and considering most gamers would identity with his fairly low key and nuanced depiction of social anxiety you'd think he'd be more endearing than off putting. And while not the total stud that Claude is I always assumed his nerdy appearance fell more under charming than ugly. There's very little I can point to about Ignatz that I'd consider a reason for people to reject him but exactly that has happened en mass ever since release. 

But there's always Cyril who could save Iggy from that fate. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Ignatz unpopularity really is one of the big mysteries of our time. He's consistently sweet and gentle to just about everyone, and considering most gamers would identity with his fairly low key and nuanced depiction of social anxiety you'd think he'd be more endearing than off putting. And while not the total stud that Claude is I always assumed his nerdy appearance fell more under charming than ugly. There's very little I can point to about Ignatz that I'd consider a reason for people to reject him but exactly that has happened en mass ever since release. 

He’s too normal and I think that that’s the problem.

The majority of the students and even most non-students too have a sad backstory of sorts.

40 minutes ago, Silver Lightning said:

though I would be especially happy for Eirika if she could eke out a win, I still love FE8 and prefer her to Ephraim as a character despite how unpopular that opinion is)

YES! Thank you so so much! I'd be thrilled too!

I don't know if it's worth considering, but if enough people are upset that CYL is just a Three Houses (alts) banner do you think IS would include the top non-3H characters of each gender as honorable mentions (i.e. Marth and Eirika right now)? Considering 3H is barely 6 months old the recency bias really makes things unfair for anyone not from there 😕

(Don't worry, I haven't given up on an Eirika rally or anything, just curious~)

Edited by DefyingFates

17 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Ignatz unpopularity really is one of the big mysteries of our time. He's consistently sweet and gentle to just about everyone, and considering most gamers would identity with his fairly low key and nuanced depiction of social anxiety you'd think he'd be more endearing than off putting. And while not the total stud that Claude is I always assumed his nerdy appearance fell more under charming than ugly. 

When I first played 3H, I thought Ignatz is a pretty well written and relatable character. In addition to his anxieties, his whole struggle between doing what he loves and doing what his family wants him to do (even though he's not gifted in it) really resonated with me. He doesn't have a flashy tragic backstory though, which is why I think he's somewhat 'unmemorable'. 

I think Cyril actually has a pretty dedicated yet small fanbase and even the people that doesn't like him talks about him constantly...but I feel like Ignatz is just kind of forgotten? People just rarely talk about Ignatz. 😞

I'm predicting Gilbert, Ignatz and Cyril being the worst overall placing playable 3H characters. Catherine is probably the lowest placing female (not sure if it's my own personal bias but I feel like she isn't that well liked). 

Edited by zuibangde

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

From what I've seen online, a few people criticize how "pathetic" Ignatz is, and how he seems to be so easily stepped upon by others. From my experience, this kind of personality can work female characters, but it tends to be an active detriment to male characters, so I wouldn't be surprised of some form of gender-stereotyping is at play here.

Also, while his anxiety is relateable, I guess the issue is that it's too "normal" instead of hyper-exaggerated like Bernie. And while people like seeing their flaws in other characters, a lot of people don't like it being, err, too realistic. I guess they see it as more of a call out rather than "lol #RELATABLE"

This is like my worst case scenario on the men's side.

Claude is my new favorite lord in the series. But Marth getting screwed over another year would suck. I'm still voting Claude but I think the anti-3H crowd and Marth rally will screw him over. Having him be the only 3H lord without a brave alt is gonna suck....

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah, I don't get why people would dislike Ignatz either for exactly what you're saying here. 😞

I forgot to mention that I relate to him on one thing: being an artist! He's an artist and so am I. Though I'm actually kind of terrible at painting and prefer digital art or colored pencil. XD

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

He’s too normal and I think that that’s the problem.

The majority of the students and even most non-students too have a sad backstory of sorts.

Reminds me of my impressions I had, and still have, about Stahl, and Kellam in Awakening. Despite being too troppy, the rest of the characters stood out in one way or another. Those two were far more generic

I don’t think Ignatz is a bad character and all, and he’s certainly benefits of 3H overall good writing, but he’s too average compared to the rest of the students. The fact that he, to my knowledge, doesn’t stand out as an unit doesn’t help

15 minutes ago, mrwanton said:

This is like my worst case scenario on the men's side.

Claude is my new favorite lord in the series. But Marth getting screwed over another year would suck. I'm still voting Claude but I think the anti-3H crowd and Marth rally will screw him over. Having him be the only 3H lord without a brave alt is gonna suck....

this is why Marth’s CYL last chance was last year, precisely in anticipation of 3H adding far more competition this one. If he loses this one again, he should win the next, unless the 3H upcoming DLC guys say otherwise 

10 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

YES! Thank you so so much! I'd be thrilled too!

I don't know if it's worth considering, but if enough people are upset that CYL is just a Three Houses (alts) banner do you think IS would include the top non-3H characters of each gender as honorable mentions (i.e. Marth and Eirika right now)? Considering 3H is barely 6 months old the recency bias really makes things unfair for anyone not from there 😕

(Don't worry, I haven't given up on an Eirika rally or anything, just curious~)

I mean, I'm all for IS recognizing more popular picks as winners; Fire Emblem is way too big of a series (and getting bigger with every game) imo to keep bottlecapping the winners at 4 per year. I'd say they should maybe consider taking the top 6-8 and maybe splitting them across 2 banners, obviously the big winners get the better toys to play with as far as weapons and skills but I get the feeling most people dont care as much for the viability of a character compared to the visibility. I know a big part of my excitement in CYL is more for the cool designs I get to see on the characters or at least having the character be playable over how broken they are. So I say the more the merrier, and not just because 3H is sweeping it. 

Keep up the Eirika rally tho, if she doesn't make it in this year I will personally save some votes for her next year (and if she does, maybe we can start rallying for Lyon next year; I have such a soft spot for these sweet sad bois who go through some dark character arcs. Clearly I have a type lol)

1 hour ago, SockPuppet said:

I feel like If Hilda weren’t released in FEH already, she would be MUCH higher than 10th.

Agreed, and vice versa for characters like Lysithea, Bernadetta, and maybe even Marianne/Dorothea. I can’t help but feel if Heroes wasn’t so intent on slow-rolling the 3H cast, the standings could be vastly different. 

25 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

While he's a kind and wholesome lad, his constant need to apologize and feel guilty about so many things can be a bit of a drag. It's not offensive but sometimes I want to say "Okay, Iggy, stop beating yourself up. Just... try to live your life." He's...there. I like a few of his supports but he's in a category of indifference, which is a bad place to be because that means you're not going to be particularly loved by many fans, even if you aren't hated by many either. I much prefer Ashe, who feels like he has a lot more variety in the ways he interacts with people, all while being very kind and enthusiastic. Plus he has the stuff with Lonato and his feelings towards the church which are interesting. 

Dang here I was thinking last week that only the most popular 3h characters will be in the top 20. Nice to see Tharja hang in there. Hope that the cyl banner doesn't be completely dominated the those characters a little variety is nice. I do want to see Marth and Dimitri succeed; female side less so.  If the lords do make it in the top 4. There is always next year right?

Wow, surprised to see midterm results are up already though can we really call them midterms with only two days worth of voting? Maybe we will have another 'midterm result' on the fourth or fifth day. Seems like most people were correct in assuming that Three Houses was going to have a strong presence this year (I wish Ingrid and Annette were on this list though since they are the two females I care about the most from Three Houses). Though what I am happy to see is Anna still being in the top 10 this year! Hopefully she stays there or even better gets bumped up to at least top 5 before this is over because I would really like IS to take notice and put her on the next Awakening New Heroes banner that comes out especially since it should be a banner with gen 1 units next. Other than that I wish for the best for Marth and Lysithea fans even though the rest of my votes are still going to Anna.

14 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Except Eirika's dad Fado, he was an armored unit 🙂

14 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Greil wasn't. He was infantry axe. And surely infantry sword before that.

14 hours ago, TeeGeeThree said:

Marth's dad wasn't, he was dead

14 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Corrin's pops also most certainly wasn't a cav unit. I'm also pretty sure Celica's dad was far too hedonistic to ever step foot on a battlefield at all.

I was mostly just joking around about how several fathers in the series was a mounted unit (Alm's, Seliph's, Leif's, Roy's, even Byleth's and Alfonse's). I'm well aware that not every lord's father was a cavalier.

10 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

While he's a kind and wholesome lad, his constant need to apologize and feel guilty about so many things can be a bit of a drag. It's not offensive but sometimes I want to say "Okay, Iggy, stop beating yourself up. Just... try to live your life." He's...there. I like a few of his supports but he's in a category of indifference, which is a bad place to be because that means you're not going to be particularly loved by many fans, even if you aren't hated by many either. I much prefer Ashe, who feels like he has a lot more variety in the ways he interacts with people, all while being very kind and enthusiastic. Plus he has the stuff with Lonato and his feelings towards the church which are interesting. 

To be fair Marianne is guilty of the exact same thing. She's cute but a lot of her supports involve self guilt.

1 minute ago, Strullemia said:

What makes School Bernadetta better than war Bernadetta?

I just noticed that she’s the only female character that leads with her school version.

It seems people just like the messier version. Has more of a “shut-in” vibe than her War version. 

In any case, results are about what I expected. With some extra organization, Lysithea and Bernadetta could knock Edelgard down. 

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Yes!! Especially Eirika, of course 😛

Since when (and where) has this been happening? I haven't seen much support for them myself, so I'm hoping I just overlooked it. A dark horse victory would be a dream come true!

I've just been seeing it on the midterm results Twitter post.

I feel bad for Marth, honestly. He SHOULD win this year because it's FE's 30th anniversary. It's literally his birthday lol. I might just throw all the rest of my votes to him.

51 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

yeah, i was discussing this with my friends too, but we ended up with no real answer

i mean, it's IntSys's product, and they can do whatever they want with it, even a 3H-only Brave Banner, if that's what people voted for, but they could also add, after they gather all the votes, a rule that allows 2 characters from the same game at most to be Brave Heroes during a single event

i'd really appreciate it if IntSys actually recognizes that 3H's recency helped it A LOT (if it came out some month earlier and gave IntSys the time to add more 3H characters, people like Marianne, Lysi and Dorothea would be ranking lower IMO) and gave older characters their chane to shine, but the truths is that everything is possible

given how IntSys is handling Heroes, and assuming the list doesn't change, i tend to believe they won't care about Brave Houses (speaking of which, is no one gonna make the "Oops! All Three Houses" meme?) and just make a whole Brave Heroes banner with 3H units

@Strullemia "What makes School Bernadetta better than war Bernadetta?

I just noticed that she’s the only female character that leads with her school version."

well, i guess "small girl + cute + socially awkward + MUST PROTECT"

that's why i prefer War Bernadetta

Edited by Yexin

I think the third place winners should at least be added, if more were to be. I mean, they're always highlighted anyway, with that bronze colored Heroes icon. Though in this case, that would still mean the only non-TH winner is Marth so far, but yeah.

Edited by Anacybele