Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

46 minutes ago, Silver Lightning said:

I mean, I'm all for IS recognizing more popular picks as winners; Fire Emblem is way too big of a series (and getting bigger with every game) imo to keep bottlecapping the winners at 4 per year. I'd say they should maybe consider taking the top 6-8 and maybe splitting them across 2 banners, obviously the big winners get the better toys to play with as far as weapons and skills but I get the feeling most people dont care as much for the viability of a character compared to the visibility. I know a big part of my excitement in CYL is more for the cool designs I get to see on the characters or at least having the character be playable over how broken they are. So I say the more the merrier, and not just because 3H is sweeping it. 

Keep up the Eirika rally tho, if she doesn't make it in this year I will personally save some votes for her next year (and if she does, maybe we can start rallying for Lyon next year; I have such a soft spot for these sweet sad bois who go through some dark character arcs. Clearly I have a type lol)

Yeah, I also believe CYL could add an extra spot or two per gender from now on

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

What makes School Bernadetta better than war Bernadetta?

Not that I have voted for her but I vastly prefer her academy phase look. I like Bernadetta when she's a bit more confident but that hairstyle gets a big no from me. 

1 hour ago, SageOfAnys said:

From what I've seen online, a few people criticize how "pathetic" Ignatz is, and how he seems to be so easily stepped upon by others. From my experience, this kind of personality can work female characters, but it tends to be an active detriment to male characters, so I wouldn't be surprised of some form of gender-stereotyping is at play here.

Also, while his anxiety is relateable, I guess the issue is that it's too "normal" instead of hyper-exaggerated like Bernie. And while people like seeing their flaws in other characters, a lot of people don't like it being, err, too realistic. I guess they see it as more of a call out rather than "lol #RELATABLE"

I wouldn't necessarily call him 'pathetic', but he is unmemorable, and while I tend to usually agree about male characters getting the shorter end of the stick when it comes to gender-stereotyping, I honestly don't think Ignatz would have been any more well received if he was a girl.

He's too bland of a character overall. I don't really think he's 'realistic' either. I actually found him too one-note and without the sort of depth a lot of other characters had. I don't think you need a tragic backstory to be interesting by any means, but just going along with being a knight when you clearly want to paint just didn't resonate with me, which is funny because I'm in a creative career, and I thought he would resonate, but he just fell incredibly flat. (Also he's ugly pre-skip and below average post)

For midterm results...I'm not surprised. Well, I AM shocked M!Robin is still consistently #6/7, so while I know he won't win, I'll definitely keep throwing a vote or two his way.

But Lysithea!! I love her, I'm so glad she's #2 out of everyone else. I don't think Edelgard will fall, but I would love a 3 Houses only Brave Banner. Recency bias aside, I just think the characters really deserve it. Eirika has so many alts (including her Legendary which I love), and Plumeria doesn't even exist really. On the men's side, I honestly don't care about Marth or Seliph at all. And Chrom and Robin (while I love them both), I don't necessarily think they need more alts at the moment (though selfishly I'll always vote for M!Robin).

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

This. Very much this.

Something tells me that if Sylvain looked like Lorenz or Ignatz, he wouldn't have a defense force. In fact, I'd dare say that if he looked like Ignatz, he would be the most hated character in the game.

Sylvain's actions and mindset outright disgust me and makes me kind of dislike him.

This kind of self-indulgence it's beyond being mean, it almost feels evil to assume the worst of every single women; and treating them like trash.

The worst thing is that people like him actually exists in the real world, and that disturbs me.

Edited by Troykv

39 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

It seems people just like the messier version. Has more of a “shut-in” vibe than her War version. 

In any case, results are about what I expected. With some extra organization, Lysithea and Bernadetta could knock Edelgard down. 

34 minutes ago, Yexin said:

@Strullemia "What makes School Bernadetta better than war Bernadetta?

I just noticed that she’s the only female character that leads with her school version."

well, i guess "small girl + cute + socially awkward + MUST PROTECT"

that's why i prefer War Bernadetta

11 minutes ago, Thane said:

Not that I have voted for her but I vastly prefer her academy phase look. I like Bernadetta when she's a bit more confident but that hairstyle gets a big no from me. 

That makes sense. I don't really care all that much for her but I do care more for her War phase version because that one has less annoying supports and I just generally find her more likable.

8 minutes ago, Troykv said:

Sylvain's actions and mindset outright disgust me and makes me kind of dislike him.

This kind of self-indulgence it's beyond being mean, it almost feels evil to assume the worst of every single women; and treating them like trash.

The worst thing is that people like him actually exists in the real world, and that disturbs me.

He's realistic then, if people like him actually exist. Which helps make him a good character.

Also, he does change, you know. He becomes a really great husband and dad if he gets married and does a great job to fix the problems with his world's society.

This is why I said I dislike when people write off Sylvain as just an asshole like that. Like he doesn't change and that there's nothing more to him than that bad view on women.

22 minutes ago, Thane said:

Yeah, it took away loads of silly cutie points

20 minutes ago, Troykv said:

I agree. He's a creep. And becoming less of a creep at the end doesn't really make up for the fact that he never went out of his way to right his wrongs.

And frankly, I don't believe the claims otherwise. If Ignatz and Sylvain swapped personalities, the new less attractive womanizer would be seen by the fanbase as being exactly the fuckboy Sylvain is.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Silver Lightning said:

I mean, I'm all for IS recognizing more popular picks as winners; Fire Emblem is way too big of a series (and getting bigger with every game) imo to keep bottlecapping the winners at 4 per year. I'd say they should maybe consider taking the top 6-8 and maybe splitting them across 2 banners, obviously the big winners get the better toys to play with as far as weapons and skills but I get the feeling most people dont care as much for the viability of a character compared to the visibility. I know a big part of my excitement in CYL is more for the cool designs I get to see on the characters or at least having the character be playable over how broken they are. So I say the more the merrier, and not just because 3H is sweeping it. 

Keep up the Eirika rally tho, if she doesn't make it in this year I will personally save some votes for her next year (and if she does, maybe we can start rallying for Lyon next year; I have such a soft spot for these sweet sad bois who go through some dark character arcs. Clearly I have a type lol)

I absolutely agree.

And I will! I hope you - and any interested parties reading this - will join in too!

26 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Let that be the instant demote and the GHB.

I am all for this!

Hey, maybe if we all tweet/ send in-game feedback to this effect IS will act on it? It wouldn't be the first time they listened to feedback and changed their minds on something, after all!

I prefer her War Arc version because she looks more refined, more...mature. She’s still a bit socially awkward but she’s improved. Anyway, I didn’t expect midterms to be dropped so early. These results basically just cover the first 2 days. 

Sylvain is one of the characters that I recruited right away... since I was playing with female Byleth.

At start, I was not a fan of him. Never liked the skirt-chaser type. What saved him in my opinion is Chapter 5 and his supports: Mercedes, Annette and Dedue. With Mercedes because they kinda understand how each others lifes were affected because of the crests, Annette because he shows that he is more than a pretty face and he is kinda smart, and Dedue because he shows that he doesn't care what others say about him... he will do what he thinks it's the right thing.

About Felix, I am neutral about his personality... but he is a great unit. So strong! Maybe this is why he is getting a lot of votes? lol

Also about the Blue Lions female students... honestly... Blue Lions has very interesting male students, with Ashe (my favorite one), Dimitri, Dedue and Sylvain (sorry Felix... you are just neutral for me), but for me... The girls are not that interesting. Mercedes is the one that I kinda like, but I have no attachment to Annette or Ingrid.

About the CYL male side, I can see a Legendary Marth situation in case Marth beats Claude and gets 2nd place... like we getting Legendary Claude as August's Legendary Hero, while Dimitri and Edelgard are in the Brave Heroes Banner.

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I absolutely agree.

And I will! I hope you - and any interested parties reading this - will join in too!

You know what would be even cooler? They making  brave heroes of characters of previous CYL polls who got those same places, unless they won subsequent CYL polls ^^

34 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Let that be the instant demote and the GHB.

Except, plot twist of plot twists, these would be brave alts of the least popular male and female in the franchise. 😆

I wouldn’t mind that. But I can’t be certain if most of their fans will agree by having a poor man version of what they could have been 

If Bernie wins I hope it turns around and votes change in favor of her war version. I love how it looks so much.
I've been considering throwing some votes to her, but I really want Dimitri to 100% make it...
Hm...

6 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I agree. He's a creep. And becoming less of a creep at the end doesn't really make up for the fact that he never went out of his way to right his wrongs.

And frankly, I don't believe the claims otherwise. If Ignatz and Sylvain swapped personalities, the new less attractive womanizer would be seen by the fanbase as being exactly the fuckboy Sylvain is.

Yes, a "fuckboy" is still a "fuckboy" even if he completely changed his ways and learned from his mistakes. Right. Because the past defines a person and they aren't allowed to learn from it and grow and better themselves in the end.

But in all seriousness, can we not start turning this into a bash Sylvain thread?

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Sylvain is one of the characters that I recruited right away... since I was playing with female Byleth.

At start, I was not a fan of him. Never liked the skirt-chaser type. What saved him in my opinion is Chapter 5 and his supports: Mercedes, Annette and Dedue. With Mercedes because they kinda understand how each others lifes were affected because of the crests, Annette because he shows that he is more than a pretty face and he is kinda smart, and Dedue because he shows that he doesn't care what others say about him... he will do what he thinks it's the right thing.

Exactly, these supports are what drew me more to Sylvain in the first place even though I already thought he was probably a character I'd like because I tend to like the womanizers. And then when I got to the funny conversations and his occasional moments of kindness and intelligence and all, I fell in love with him. His good looks are icing on the cake. Though I admit that I will be more inclined to look further into characters who have designs I like than ones with designs I think are bad.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Exactly, these supports are what drew me more to Sylvain in the first place even though I already thought he was probably a character I'd like because I tend to like the womanizers. And then when I got to the funny conversations and his occasional moments of kindness and intelligence and all, I fell in love with him. His good looks are icing on the cake. Though I admit that I will be more inclined to look further into characters who have designs I like than ones with designs I think are bad.

I am totally the opposite... I do not like womanizers... I kinda despise them, because I do not see the appeal of it.

But, like what I mentioned in my last comment, some of his traits saved him for me... But I still roll my eyes when he start to womanize sometimes.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

15 minutes ago, Caster said:

If Bernie wins I hope it turns around and votes change in favor of her war version. I love how it looks so much.
I've been considering throwing some votes to her, but I really want Dimitri to 100% make it...
Hm...

Well, her Academy Arc version seems to be getting most of the votes so any vote towards her War Arc version will be quite welcome. 

You could always throw a couple of votes for her and then go back to Dimitri. I don’t think Claude will overtake him but it’s better to be safe than sorry. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

I am totally the opposite... I do not like womanizer... I kinda despise them, because I do not see the appeal of it.

But, like what I mentioned in my last comment, some of his traits saved him for me... But I still roll my eyes when he start to womanize sometimes.

That's fine. I tend to like the womanizers because they're funny and have a certain charm to them, I suppose. And in Sylvain's case, he has a lot of depth and growth too.

And...I guess as a female who never felt pretty or like someone a guy could love, I'd really feel good if one told me I was cute or pretty or like a flower or something like that and they truly meant it. It'd help my confidence in myself, I can tell you that.

22 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Ashe has the same as Bernadetta in the sense that he's the only boy who's selected as his student self. 

I think its probably because they are both supposed to be the smoll and cute members of their respective houses so their younger design better brings that out of them. 

Actually surprised to see Ashe. He's likable, but he is not a good unit by any means and is overshadowed by all of the many other bow knight candidates. But maybe having an entire early game chapter dedicated entirely to him helped.

22 minutes ago, Midnox said:

You know what would be even cooler? They making  brave heroes of characters of previous CYL polls who got those same places, unless they won subsequent CYL polls ^^

I wouldn’t mind that. But I can’t be certain if most of their fans will agree by having a poor man version of what they could have been 

I want it just for the humor of it. It's the Byleth in Smash reaction. Some people just want the world to burn in petty, insignificant ways. For a laugh.

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, a "fuckboy" is still a "fuckboy" even if he completely changed his ways and learned from his mistakes. Right. Because the past defines a person and they aren't allowed to learn from it and grow and better themselves in the end.

But in all seriousness, can we not start turning this into a bash Sylvain thread?

Yes, we can avoid turning this into a Sylvain thread.

But also, flip side, did he apologize to these women for the cheating? Did he send them fruit baskets? Did he make damn sure that he didn't father any children that he isn't supporting. I doubt he even remembered their names?

Is it enough to just stop being a bad person just because Ingrid is attractive and will marry you if you stop sleeping around? Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. But Sylvain doesn't just become a saint. He just stops being such a sinner, for personal gain.

Edited by Etheus

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

But also, flip side, did he apologize to these women for the cheating? Did he send them fruit baskets? Did he make damn sure that he didn't father any children that he isn't supporting. I doubt he even remembered their names?

Is it enough to just stop being a fuckboy just because Ingrid is attractive and will marry you if you stop sleeping around?

Okay, Sylvain sleeping around and fathering kids he doesn't know of is just plain false. He never went that far at all, and actually has said that he is afraid to because he doesn't want to be a studhorse. His words exactly. He doesn't want to be used to make Crest babies. He doesn't have sex with these women, he just dates them for a bit and then ditches them. He is quite the opposite of sleeping around.

Nothing says he apologized. But nothing says he didn't either. That's all I'll say.

EDIT: I disagree, I think he does become a saint. He loves and dotes on all his children. He remains faithful and loving to his wife. And he becomes an extraordinary lord who did a lot to change society for the better. Not for himself, for everybody. His endings state these things.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That's fine. I tend to like the womanizers because they're funny and have a certain charm to them, I suppose. And in Sylvain's case, he has a lot of depth and growth too.

And...I guess as a female who never felt pretty or like someone a guy could love, I'd really feel good if one told me I was cute or pretty or like a flower or something like that and they truly meant it. It'd help my confidence in myself, I can tell you that.

I think maybe you deserve reassurance. 

I understand where you are coming from and often wish for similar treatment myself, but I think, from experience, that looking for confidence from the wrong type of person is not fulfilling. Shallow words from a womanizer won't bring the same confidence to you that a sincere affection would.

Just as I have had to learn that allowing a bad person - a pre-timeskip Hilda, if you will - to take advantage of my generosity for years didn't bring me the love and confidence I needed.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I think maybe you deserve reassurance. 

I understand where you are coming from and often wish for similar treatment myself, but I think, from experience, that looking for confidence from the wrong type of person is not fulfilling. Shallow words from a womanizer won't bring the same confidence to you that a sincere affection would.

Just as I have had to learn that allowing a bad person - a pre-timeskip Hilda, if you will - to take advantage of my generosity for years didn't bring me the love and confidence I needed.

Who says I'm looking for anything from the wrong type of person? I'm not. There's nothing wrong with someone legitimately complimenting someone else on their appearance.

Edited by Anacybele